the beginning.

perception.

Chorong had a blurry vision at the age of six to sixteen.

“Now, Chorong can you tell me what this letter is?” He points to the very bottom left, tapping it a few times to let the young child observe it.

Her lips remained pressed together and she didn’t give him an answer right away. It wasn’t something that was an easy thing to do, to look at a chart and go down one after another. It’s a challenge, certainly it is. Her thumbs were tightly resting against one another, bottom lip sticking out as if she was getting frustrated and the older male who was trying to help informed her that there was nothing to be frustrated or upset about. “I.. I can’t really tell, Doctor.”

Mr. Lee nodded his head in understanding, walking over to the young woman to crouch down in order for her to see him in a clearer perspective. “It’s okay, we’ll do this much for now. Thank you again for trying, Chorong.”

It was something that her father’s side of the family dealt with, wearing glasses and contact lenses to see their stuff and words correctly along with it being clear like those with 20/20 vision. As for her, she wasn’t too lucky compared to her relatives. She had a condition. Retina is what the doctor described to her mother at her first check-up. It was a rare condition in their family and it’ll be a surprise if anyone ends up catching it. There’s a detachment and the tissue in the eyes causes her vision to block out some of the vivid details rather than a complete blur that only glasses can fix.

Informing the older woman that due to how weak her eyes were, there was a tiny tear around it that caused any fluids to seep inside. Therefore her vision began to blur worse and worse by the year. Surely it broke her mother’s heart, forcing a soft smile on the lips due to how her daughter was still sitting there close behind.

As she grew older, the young woman faced her high school years. Difficult due to the amount of taunts and comments being thrown but they were simply ignored. Mainly out of how she wanted to focus more of the pain -- or rather heaviness that was evident in her eyes. And every time she would blink, a flicker of light was roaming around her vision.

Park Chanyeol was his name. The height difference was obvious and sometimes Chorong would try to reach for the very top of his head. It never really worked out compared to how it was years before when they were little children. He felt the need to constantly protect her from those who were bothering her about her condition. 

Despite it being blurry, as she gotten older within the years there was a shadow that was covering half of her vision. Therefore if her vision was straight ahead, she couldn’t exactly see the ground of where she’s stepping on either. Anything that was aligned straight forward was curved to one side or the other. And the shades of colors began to grow into a deeper, darker shade of gray to monochrome entirely. Possibilities of getting an injury was highly possible but she doesn’t want to give up because of a fatal dysfunction. 

It wasn’t painful for Chorong, the little specs of black or white. Light to dark every time she blinks her eyes. It never bothered her so much or made her upset so much either. What did was having to press her back against the wall, listening the silent sobs of her mother crying on her father’s shoulder. Or how frustrated Chanyeol could get with her if she suddenly drops something on the ground.

Sometimes, Chanyeol gets angry unintentionally and constantly blame her for what’s been damaged around the house. Though she takes in his words and lets it leave on the other ear. Nodding her head and glances at the way his teeth grit together only to see the stream of transparent tears falling down his cheeks because he along with their parents doesn’t deserve to deal with this.

“We could always try and ask our relatives for a lending hand, honey.” The older male informed, sitting down besides his wife with an arm resting on the shoulders. Glancing at the messy paper work on the coffee table, bills and taxes could be easily paid off but there were always sacrifices that needed to be made.

“I would love to, but it’s not our decision.” She explained, a heavy sigh falling out afterwards.

Chorong’s back was pressed against the wall the entire time. Listening to their conversation while she looks back at her parents before stepping in to tell them how she felt about the situation. “I don’t want it.”

They both turned their heads towards the direction where the owner of the voice came from, frowns and concern displaying on their face and by this time. This age at least, it’s impossible for Chorong to exactly tell what was going on or how they felt.

“We do this because we want the best for you.”

“I know but I’m okay. This is my choice after all, mother even said so.” There was chances for surgery. It’s the cost of it, is what made Chorong turn it down with no hesitations. Not wanting to have her parents get a second job and work twice as much. She’s okay, it’s not like she was dying because of it. Taking a deep breath. Fingers tightly enclosed into a loose fist as she glances down at her feet with her lower lip sticking out as it trembles. “I won’t be a bother nor a burden because of this condition. And I will not let you both or Chanyeol sacrifice so much for me because I’m slowly losing my vision.”

Silence.

That’s all she could hear by then. She turns slowly in order to walk out of the living room and down the hallway, tears were beginning to stream down the apples of her cheeks as they were stubbornly brushed off with the palm of her hand. Taking a deep breath as she keeps her eyes fixed at the ground, making sure she knows where to go and that she wouldn’t trip.

The more she ignored the feeling of her vision decreasing caused her brother to feel rather overprotective most of the time. Chanyeol knows that she was grown, a mature woman despite her age or her youthful features too that causes others to stare at her rather suspiciously. Yet even when his sister smiles reassuring back at him whenever he asks if she was okay, the overwhelming emotions of trying to get passed the years were coming to be rather stressful for her most of all.

“Cho.” Chanyeol whispers softly, knuckles tapping on the door as he slowly opens it with or without granted permission. Peering over at his older sister with a small frown forming on his lips, walking cautiously slow in order to pull her into a quick embrace because these breakdowns he never seen often but it does happen on a regular basis if he wasn’t with her.

His shirt was soaked with the tears of exasperation due to the countless offers when they knew the answer by now. They do it because they care but in this case, she wanted to continue life like this.

Even if that means she wouldn’t see the daylight again.

 ✄  -  -  -

A year after graduation and a week after her own brother passed the difficult four years of high school. She woke up that early morning, about Sunday when she was supposed to rise up bright and early to continue on with the rest of the day. Her arms were stretched right above her head and there’s a forced yawn slowly escaping out. When her eyes were slowly opening, lips cracked into a faint smile.

Chorong was only eighteen when she lost her vision completely.

“Chanyeol!” Yelling at the top of her lungs, fingers tightly holding onto the comforters underneath her body. Her breathing was rigid and her heart was practically pounding right out of her chest because she couldn’t believe it happened. It was a sick dream that became her reality.

“Yeah?” He asked, poking his head into the door with his hair messily resting over his eyes while walking over to her direction. Placing himself right besides her on the edge of the mattress. “What’s wrong?”

“Chanyeol..”

“Chorong, say it already you’re scaring me.”

“Where’s mom? Or dad?”

He thinks about what their parents told him before heading out of the door, giving her a response within seconds. “They went out to buy dinner for tonight, why?”

“I…” She wasn’t too sure whether to speak up about it or to keep it to herself. Her head turns to the direction where she assumes Chanyeol was and her palm was raising up. Fingers trying to find their way to his face, lightly resting on his cheeks as she felt herself on the verge of tears. “I can’t see you anymore.”

The taller made didn’t want to believe it. He was close to bursting into a forced chuckle due to how he couldn’t accept the news. Chanyeol didn’t want to. “We’re going out, okay?” He ends up saying, holding her sister by the hand and she takes it tightly against his own. He opens the closet door in order to skim through the attire of clothing, picking up some random coat for her to wear over her attire. He buttons it for her, securely hugging her tiny body with the beige colored fabric as he guides her out of their house and to his car.

“Chanyeol, where are we going?” She asked, only hearing the faint sounds of the engine starting and the tires forcefully being pushed against the concrete. His hands were grasping onto the steering wheel, refusing to give an answer because he knows Chorong would be upset by his decision but there’s no way he’ll accept this. Not at all.

When they arrived to the nearest clinic around downtown, guiding his sister back into his firm hand and grasp then leading her inside. The doors automatically opening up and there’s vague conversations along with voices that she couldn’t coherent so easily compared to before. Biting her lower lip nervously she turns her head to one side to another. 

Pitch black, is the only color she ends up seeing.

“They’re only going to check what happened, okay?” He promises. Placing herself on the seat as he goes on his knees in order to face his older sister with concern in his irises. “You’re going to be fine, Chorong. I promise.”

And the testing never worked out as plan the way she and her family hoped for. The way she answers was always timid and hesitant as if she was wrong every single time even if it was okay to make mistakes during the process. Except, she told the optometrist that she couldn’t see a single thing. Rambling on and on to the adult that there was no way she could complete the tasks when it wasn’t clear in her eyes.

“Due to the detachment of the retina as the years continue to go by. The fluids tend to seep through the cut that was form therefore her vision was blocked or blurred out when she was growing older.” The older woman explained to Chanyeol. He rubs his neck in frustration, glancing at some other direction besides meeting eye to eye with the woman who lent a hand. “I’m sorry, Mr. Park. Sincerely, I am. Please provide help, a cane if possible for your sister as well.”

Nodding in agreement, bowing his head out of respect. He walks back to the room where his sister was waiting patiently at. He knocks on the door at first before opening, she turns her head to meet face to face with him. Chorong can’t see him but she knows his presence is there somewhere.

“Are you upset?” She asks, fiddling with the button that was on her coat as she nips on her lower lip in anticipation.

“No.” He responded. Linking his arm with her own in order to let her stand on her feet in order to walk besides him closely from the side. “I’m not. I have no reason to be, Cho. I’ll be here to help you.”

As much as Chorong would want to refuse the offering only because being a burden is the last thing she wanted to do for her brother. Especially in this age where she’s capable of taking care of herself. Arguing and protesting would lead to nowhere and with what happened so suddenly she knows already, it’s not going to be an easy life after all.

 ✄  -  -  -

At the age of twenty-two, Chorong, was capable of living life despite her being blind.

“I’ll be back soon.” She notified her parents before stepping out of the house, locking the door as she turns back in order to walk along the pavement silently. The cane resting in front, tapping it from left to right with her soft sighs flowing through the wind as the air brushes along her cheeks too.

It was tough to inform her parents about what happened to her that day until today thus far. They shed tears, numerous breakdowns and it was emotionally exhausted on all four of them. Even their relatives who kept in touched was merely heart broken about it. She doesn’t mind, not wanting any pity or to be a heavy weight upon one’s shoulders either. Chorong learned to use her senses well, smell any aroma to know where it’s coming from, hear the sounds of children chirping or who’s speaking to her too. The charcoal hair colored woman was finally getting used to the swing of things.

Lost in thought, her cane taps against one’s shoe and immediately apologized for the sudden contact. Bowing at a degree angle and she murmurs a quick ‘I’m sorry!” after.

The taller male glances back, removing his vision away from the paper in order to look at the young female. Or so she looked rather youthful but women around her look younger than their usual age, Kris wasn’t too sure. Clearing his throat, eyes widening at the sight. Unable to see but she could still hear him.

“No, it’s fine, Miss.” He reassured. The paper in his hand was tucked away into the folder that was pinched in between his side and arm. Focusing his attention more on who accidentally bumped into him so suddenly. “Do you need any assistance?”

“I- oh.”

Pausing, she couldn’t exactly see who he looked like nor if he’s trustworthy either. Perhaps it’s the main reason why she tends to avoid most strangers the past five years or so because she doesn’t want to end up being captured into another’s home or kidnapped in general. She’s old, yes, but it could still happen.

“I’ll take you home afterwards to your family as well, Miss. I can assure you that as well.”

And to Chorong words and actions spoke different meanings. One meant more than the latter. Nonetheless, her head begins to nod in agreement to the offering without a second thought. Hesitant but she doesn’t have a bad gut feeling about the male she suddenly encountered. She continues to walk along the pathway still, cane tapping to one side and the other as she beckons the unknown male to come forth and follow along.

“Do you.. have a name, sir?”

Chuckling beneath the warmth of his breath, polite with respectful manners, he thought. Kris glances over to one direction, focusing on leading her to where she needed to be and not wanting her to suddenly hit someone with the cane or someone to bump into her as well. “Kris.” He introduced himself kindly, smiling but to himself and possibly her even if she couldn’t see it so well. “Yourself?”

“Chorong. Park Chorong.” And when her name emits out effortlessly past the softness of her lips, he reminded himself to keep that name in mind. Certainly this woman isn’t going to be forgettable but rather noticeable.

 ✄  -  -  -

Basically, Chorong had her vision quite blurry during her years as a child to a teenager. And lost it completely due to how there was a sudden cut around her eye, the retina. Therefore fluids such as blood or water as well it'll seep through it therefore it'll cause the vision to slowly fade into black and lose it completely. Yeup-- I researched the past week over it to make sure it'll connect together so I hope it's not confusing but I think the way she is now, hopefully it cleared everything up. Chokris/Krisrong isn't as known or common but I'm #rarepairingsftw always. Heh, hope you enjoyed and the next chapter will be more of-- Kris' story and more about them. Thank you again for reading.