How it all started

Heartless Love

Chanmi P.O.V

 

Hi, I'm Park Chanmi. I'm currently 20 years old and living a simple and happy life in the bustling city of Seoul. I work at an advertising company as one of the designers. But life wasn't as easy and smooth as it is now. I've been through lots of hardships, so rough that I almost wanted to end my life when I was only 13.

 

When I was seven, a tragedy fell upon me. I lost both of my parents. I grew up without them, with an old lady in the country side. How I missed them so. I missed my mother's sweet voice and loving smile. I missed my father's stories he used to tell me when I go to sleep. I missed all of them.

 

How did I lose them, you may ask? Well, it was a dark and quiet night. Me and my family were all tucked in bed, getting ready to depart to dream land. We lived in a small village, so nighttime was very silent.

 

As I lay on my bed, I noticed something quite disturbing. A stench was coming from the kitchen. I went out of my room and knocked on my parents' door. "Mommy," I called out. My mom came out and asked me what was wrong. I told her all about the weird smell and she decided to go check on it.

 

Thinking it might be a wild animal, my father went with him. I was told to stay put and they left. A few seconds passed, still they haven't come out. I waited a few seconds more. Suddenly, a loud BOOM emitted from the kitchen. In a split second, the kitchen door went on fire.

 

Panicked, I ran outside and called for help. By the time the villagers were outside, our house was already halfway burnt.  I watched as the fire was put out, leaving traces of what seemed to be my house.

 

Soon, two bodies were carried out of the house. My parents'. Even one or two people who were helping out got injured. The bodies were sent to a general hospital nearby. Thinking that I would be troubled if I rode with them, one of the villagers brought me in a separate car.

 

Long story short, I had to live somewhere else. The lady, Kim Chansuk, was kind enough to let me stay and live at her house for free if I helped her out with housework. And so I did, until she was evicted from her house. We had no money, so we lived on the streets.

 

I thought that if I went to town, I would get more money easier. I departed alone, promising that when I comeback, I'll share half the money with Mrs. Kim. 

 

It was a long trip. A few times I had to hitch a ride from passing trucks that were carrying goods to the city. It took me around 4 days, so at night I just go to a nearby barn and sleep there till dawn breaks. Some nice farmers sometimes offer me meals or a drink.

 

After those 4 days, I finally arrived at that town with a few bruises. I wandered around, searching for any job offers anywhere. A flyer was posted on an alleyway wall.

 

Looking for a helper. Aged 16-20. No special skills needed. Call:  010-4321-9876 for more info. ~Merygold Residence

 

'No special skills needed,' I thought, 'might be a great opportunity.' I went to a nearby phone booth. With only  few coins left, I hoped I would be able to finish the call.

 

"Hello?"

"Hello, is this Merygold Residence?"

"Yes, how may I help you?"

"I saw your wanted ad. I was hoping if the position is stoll available?"

"Oh, why yes, it is. Would you like to apply?"

"Yes, I'm new in town and I'm around 17 years old."

"Good, then come to our place tomorrow.The address is [insert address]"

"Okay, thank you very much *hangs up*"

And that's how everything started.