Chapter 2

Unfinished Story

 

In an unfamiliar place, the light shines into the crack of her eyes. Her eyelids open wide, but everything she sees are a blur. She sits up and holds her head as it feels like it is spinning. A knock comes from the door and Misun turns toward the door.

 

“Gongju? In Ryu gongju, it’s time for breakfast” a voice calls from outside the room.

 

Misun pause for a moment in confusion. Did she just hear something by mistake? She climbs out of the bed and goes to the huge mirror. Her eyes widen at the sight. She touch her hair and then her face.

 

“What is this? I-I-I? Gongju?!”

 

Another knocks comes from the door and Misun covers .

 

“In Ryu gongju? It’s time for breakfast”

 

“Y-Yes! I’m coming down!” Misun reply.

 

She listens to the footsteps leave the door. Misun grabs her hair, almost losing her mind. Just what is going on? She couldn’t remember anything. After pacing back and forth, something clicks her mind.

 

“That’s right. The book” Misun snaps her finger.

 

Her eyes scan around at first, then she begins to dig in places for it. As she finds nothing, she starts to panic. Her heart is beating so hard against her chest that feels like it is going to jump out.

 

“Where’s the book? I was holding it just earlier…”

And then it hits her as she recalls seeing the book shine and when she opened it, everything blind her sight. The door suddenly opens without knocking and Misun turns around.

 

“What are you still doing, dear? Breakfast is ready” a women says, as she enters the room.

 

Misun didn’t know what to say. She brush her bangs behind her ear and smiles. The women walks over to her.

 

“Are you looking for something? It looks a bit messy here?”

 

“Ah? Yes…I was looking for my…uh…s-skirt. Yes, skirt” Misun says, hesitating a bit with her word choices.

 

The women looks around and back at her with an odd face. Misun turns away and goes over to the closet. She could feel the women watching her as she opens the closet door. She scans through quickly and grabs a random skirt.

 

“I found it” Misun laughs nervously as she turn back to the women.

 

She just smile. Misun maintain her laugh, though it feels really awkward. Just who is this women? Judging by the way she wears, it’s possible that she’s In Ryu’s mother; the queen?

 

“Hurry and wash up. We have a guest downstairs having breakfast with us. Everyone is waiting for you only” she says.

 

“Y-Yes, mom” Misun reply.

 

She watched the queen turn to leave the room. As the door shuts, Misun starts cursing to herself. What is she doing here? And how did she get here in the first place? She has to find a way back, but how? Misun thinks deep, but gets nothing out of it.

 

“Ah…I’m going crazy!”

 

She ruffles her hair in a messy way and stops. If she’s here, then where is the princess? Going back to the mirror, she looks at her reflection.

 

“This can’t be it. I? I’m in a body of a princess?!”

 

Misun covers again, since she is yelling so loud that someone may hear her. Putting her hand down, she stares at into the mirror. This doesn’t make any sense. How can she be the princess? It just doesn’t make sense.

 

 

After washing up, Misun tries to find her way to the dining room. The place is so huge as she explores the palace. Each room are design differently, yet it is beautiful.

 

“I never imagine a palace to be gorgeous like this” Misun says, admiring.

 

She continue down the hall and comes upon a really huge livingroom. On the walls, hangs multiple of picture frames of family portraits. Misun looks at each and every one of them with amazement.

 

“So this must be In Ryu’s parents?”

 

After looking some more, she comes to a stop when she feels like something is watching her from behind. She didn’t dare to move. Just then, a hand grabs her on the shoulder which cause her to jump a bit from being frighten. Finally, she turns around to see a tall figure standing there in front of her.

 

“What are you doing here? Everyone has waited for more than ten minutes at the table” he says, as he takes his hand back.

 

“A-Ah. Really? Sorry” Misun says, scratching her head.

 

He gives her a strange look. She suddenly remembers that she is the princess. How could she forget? She straightens her face.

 

“You…? Are you okay? I mean, I heard you were unconscious the whole day yesterday after I left. Just what did you try drugging me with in the first place?” he asks, both concern and curious.

 

Pausing for a second, she recalls reading from book that In Ryu tried to get back at Shin Woo, but it didn’t go as planned. Misun looks at him, but nothing comes out of .

 

“What? Cat got your tongue?” he teases.

 

She blanks out on him. No wonder In Ryu seems to dislike this guy. It’s because of the way he talks. Totally like a bad boy, yet in a good way. Misun clears .

 

“You were the one who switched the cups. If only you had drank it, I wouldn’t have been in this condition” she says.

 

“So what? You’re now blaming me?” Shin Woo says.

 

Misun glares at him and crosses her arms over her chest.

 

“That’s right. I’m blaming you right now. (in a mumble) If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t have been here”

 

Shin Woo appears lost on her last sentence and is about to say something, but they are interrupted by a servant who walks in on them. They both turn to face the her. In the dining room, everyone begins to eat after Misun and Shin Woo has settle in with them. There is a long moment of silence, making her feel uncomfortable. In Ryu’s parents are oddly always glancing up and smiling right at her and Shin Woo who sits across from each other at the table. Misun set her fork down and grabs her glass of water.

 

“So, Shin Woo. I heard that at the party, you unexpectedly kissed my daughter right in front of everyone, is that right?” the king asks.

 

Right then, Misun spits the water out as it sprays Shin Woo in the face. Everyone at the table are shock. She coughs and wipes . He had his eyes closed for a second and they open to look at her.

 

“I-I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to do that to you” Misun apologize sincerely.

 

Those standing behind them are secretly giggling to themselves, including In Ryu’s parents. Misun smiles uneasily at him who appears to be offended. After a long breakfast, Misun helps clean up.

 

“It’s okay, gongju. We can handle these. You go rest” the house workers says.

 

“I’m fine. I want to help” Misun says.

 

They take the dish cloth from her and pushes Misun out from the kitchen. She nearly stumbles over her own feet, but she catches her balance.

 

“What’s wrong helping out in the kitchen? I always do that at home” she murmurs, upset.

 

Then, she recalls it again. Princess. That’s right. She’s now a princess. Misun lets out a sigh and turns around just to find Shin Woo leaning his back against the wall with his arms fold in front of his chest. His eyes are so piercing to the point where she almost couldn’t avoid them.

 

“You’re still here?” Misun speaks nervously.

 

He didn’t say a word and goes toward her. She steps back once and then another as he gets closer.

 

“Y-Y-You. What are you doing?” Misun stutters.

 

She keeps backing away and without looking, her ankle hits the leg of the table and she falls backward. In a quick reflex, Shin Woo catches her around the waist. Misun’s eyes are wide and her heart is pounding fast as she finds herself clinging onto him. Everything happened so fast, surprising Misun and Shin Woo softly chuckles at her.

 

“Your heart sure is beating fast? It’s not beating for me, is it?”

 

She snaps back to her senses and push him off her. He draws back with a smily face on him, a teasing one. She didn’t know what to do or say, instead she couldn’t help herself but blush.

 

“Oh? You’re blushing?” Shin Woo continues to .

 

Misun covers her face as she redden even more. He’s now laughing at her, making her feel uncomfortable. No words come from as she tries to think of something to say. His laugh slowly cease.

 

“I just wanted to come back and say that you look cute today”

 

That moment, her heart skips a beat. She didn't misheard him, right? Misun puts her hand down, uncovering her face as she looks at him. The room becomes quiet as they both stand in their spots. Out of nowhere, a voice comes in and they turn to see a young lady skipping in with a bright smile.

 

“Unnie, so you were here? I looked everywhere for you” she says, happily.

 

Misun is totally lost. Did this girl just called her unnie? Does In Ryu have a younger sibling? She force a smile as Shin Woo watches them.

 

“Y-Yes. Why were you looking for me?” Misun says.

 

“I? I came to give this to you to see if you like it”

 

She hands Misun a card and she takes a peek.

 

“A wedding invitation? Who’s…?”

 

“Yours” the girl smiles.

 

Misun looks up from the card and at her who smiles widely. W-W-What did she just say? Wedding? M-My wedding?! The girl turns to Shin Woo who stands there in silence.

 

"Ah, you must be Prince Shin Woo, right?" the girl points to him.

 

He just nods with a friendly smile. The girl nudges Misun on the arm and she looks at her after snapping out from the shockness.

 

"I'm In Ryu's cousin, Chaehwan. It's nice to meet you" she says, brightly.

 

Shin Woo smiles again without a word. He averts his eyes over to Misun who goes back into deep thinking.

 

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ That night, Misun is up in the bedroom with the invitation card in her lap as she reads it again. On the card there are big letters print on the top with a banner that says, “Young In Ryu & Lee Shin Woo’s Wedding.” She stares at the name. So it's him. The person who In Ryu’s parents want her to marry to. But she isn’t In Ryu.

 

“What should I do? Think. Think, Kwon Misun. What should I do now?” she says to herself, concerningly.

 

Her eyes goes back to the card in her hand. She sees the date print on it, “November 16th.”

 

“Wait. What is today’s date?” Misun says.

 

And then, a knock comes from the door. It cracks open and the maid’s head pops in. Misun turns around to see her come inside with a tray of glass milk.

 

“Here’s your milk, gongju” she says, going over to Misun.

 

She takes the cup and the maid bows, then turns to go.

 

“Wait”

 

“Is there something else you need?” the maid asks.

 

Misun set the glass milk on the table beside the bed and looks back at the maid who waits to hear what she has to say.

 

“Today…what’s the date?”

 

“Today? It’s the 13th of November” the maid answers.

 

Right then, Misun’s heart drops and the card in her lap falls to the floor. The maid quickly picks it up and looks at her.

 

“Gongju? What’s wrong? Why is your face suddenly pale?”

 

Misun couldn’t believe what she has heard. If it’s the 13th, then the wedding is just in three days. Everything is already prepared. But she’s not the princess. Not In Ryu. She’s Misun. Kwon Misun. That’s right. She has to think of something fast. She has to call off this marriage before it’s too late!

 
 
 
 
A/N: this chapter is short, but i hope y'alls like it! :)