Chapter 4

Unfinished Story

 

The sun raise that following day and the air is filled with cooling breeze. Misun stares out the window as she sees the thin fog in a far distance after a light shower of rain goes back. A knock comes from the door and she turns her head around.

 

“You’re up? Did you sleep well?” the woman says, coming in.

 

Misun opens , but the woman holds her hand up and smiles.

 

“You were probably frighten, right?”

 

Misun averts away. Instantly, the woman knew how she’s feeling and goes over to her. She takes Misun’s hand and their eyes meet once more.

 

“I’ve already prepared a carriage and horse for you to send you home. So you go after having a meal” she says.

 

Misun smiles in relief, but it hits her when she suddenly recalls about the marriage. If she goes back now, chances are that she’ll still get marry the next day. On the other hand, its better if she goes because of that man Minkyong. Because of him, she’s lost her voice. At the Lee’s palace, Shin Woo finds himself sitting in the room by himself. Footsteps goes toward him and a pair of arms wrap around his.

 

“What are you doing here alone?” a voice says, sweetly.

 

Shin Woo averts his head to the woman, Raeun and takes her hand into his as a smile appears on his face.

 

“You came?”

 

“Yes. I heard there was a lot of chaos going on about Princess Young. People are talking about it. But are you okay with it? I mean, you are going to marry her tomorrow” Raeun says.  

 

Shin Woo chuckles at the word “marry” and she looks at him oddly. Raeun embrace him from behind and he interlocks his fingers with hers.

 

“What? You’re not going to marry her? Then...what was with all that commotion going to her palace all the time?”

 

“I just wanted to play with her” Shin Woo says, fiddling with her hand.

 

“Yeah? Then about that kiss?”

 

“That? It was nothing. It has no meaning to me” he reply.

 

Raeun is pleased to hear him say those words. He avert his head to her and smiles, while his hand brush her bangs behind her ear. Then, their lips lock.

 

 

After having a meal, the woman personally sends Misun out to the entrance where she promise having a carriage and horse ready for her.

 

“May you return home safely, In Ryu gongju. If you happen to come back, just remember you are welcome to visit us anytime” she says.

 

Misun bows and looks at her, wanting to say something. And she knew from seeing the expression on Misun’s face, so she smiles.

 

“My name is Han Jiyeol. Or you call me unnie, if that makes you comfortable”

 

In return, Misun smiles and nods her head. Just then, they are interrupted by Minkyong who steps in. They look at him.

 

“I’ll send her”

 

Misun is confuse and she turns to Jiyeol, who is also feeling the same way as her.

 

“I won’t allow that…”

 

“I was the one who brought her here, so I’ll send her back” Minkyong cuts his sister’s sentence.

 

Jiyeol becomes silent as she study his face, not trusting his words. Misun looks at them both, turning to one of them and then the other. On the road, they both remain quiet. Misun didn’t like this at all. Not one bit of it. Just why did they have to ride on one horse? Especially with him at the back of her. While she talks to herself in her own world, she notice him stopping the horse. Misun finds Minkyong getting off the horse as he takes the rein and pulls it over the horse’s head.

 

“I can’t ride with a woman who shivers in fear because of me sitting behind her”

 

She is surprise by his words and his voice. It didn’t sound as husky like before, instead it’s rather gentle. He yanks the rein lightly and the horse starts to move as he lead the way. Misun stays seated on top of the horse and stares at his back. Unknowingly, a smile curves her lip. It didn’t take long till Misun finds the horse coming to a halt. She turns to look at him. Minkyong goes toward her and takes her hand. She gets down with his help and looks at him afterwards.

 

“I’m only sending you out this far. If you continue down this path, you should be able to find your way back” he points ahead.

 

Misun looks toward the long road. When she turns back to him, he already got on the horse and rides away. She didn’t get the chance to thank him as she watch him slowly get smaller in a distance. At the palace, there is this loud whipping sound that echoes inside the room. Joo Ah is on the floor, cover with deep wounds all over her body.

 

“Let me ask you again. Where is the princess?” the king asks.

 

‘I don’t know. I really don’t know” she whimpers in a weak tone.

 

Misun enters the palace to find it dead silent and no one is around. She hears a crying voice in a distance from where she stands and so she goes to check it. When she comes upon the room, she spots In Ryu’s maid and two men standing above her with a thick sharp lash in their hand.

 

“Again!” the king orders.

 

The two men raise their handle, at the same time Misun runs in toward the maid and covers her. In an instant, her back starts to burn with pain as the lash violently hits against her flesh, making two huge marks of blood expose through her clothing. The kind stands up in shock. Joo Ah turns to look at Misun who is in pain.

 

“G-G-Gongju? Gongju!”

 

“C-Ca-Call a doctor. Call for a doctor!” the king shouts.

 

 

A few hours goes by and the sun is already down. Misun toss a bit in the bed as her face is cover with sweat. The queen is sitting on the edge of the bed with a wet towel, wiping down Misun’s face and neck. The king is anxious as he pace back and forth, then looks at her.

 

“How come? How come no one told me that the princess has return?” he says.

 

The queen turns to him who almost feel like pulling out his hair. Hearing voices among her, Misun’s eyes open a bit. The queen turns back to her and notice.

 

“In Ryu? In Ryu”

 

The king rush over to the bed as Misun stares up at them. They are holding her hand with warmth, as the king caress her head.

 

“How are you feeling, honey? Do you feel hurt anywhere?” the queen asks.

 

Misun blinks at them for a bit and shakes her head no. The king is sighs in relief.

 

“I’ll go get the doctor to come in. You stay put”

 

Again, she just nods and sees the king heading out the room. The queen puts the towel aside and brush Misun’s hair away from her face. Feeling this kind of gentleness, makes her miss her mom. If only she could see her mom right now, oh how happy would she be. The door opens as the king lead in the doctor.

 

“I’m sorry, Your Highness. But may I do a check up on the princess alone? It would help me a lot if it’s quiet in here” the doctor says.

 

In Ryu’s parents look at each other and nods in agreement. They leave the room with Misun and the doctor to be in. After a few of minutes, the doctor steps out to find her parents waiting outside.

 

“Don’t worry. Her wounds are only externally injured, nothing is hurt in the inside”

 

Her parents seemed relief.

 

“But...there happens to be something wrong with the princess’s speech” the doctor says.

 

“What?” the parents says, confused.

 

Back at the Lee’s palace, Shin Woo puts on a white dress shirt and buttons it up halfway. Raeun wraps her arms around him from behind, cover with the bed sheet. He smiles and turns his head to look at her.

 

“Shin Woo ah, when are you going to propose to me?”

 

“When?” he says.

 

She nods and looks at him, waiting for an answer. Just before he could say it out, the door abruptly opens to interrupt them. Raeun backs away quickly from him and covers herself up to the shoulders.

 

“Dad” Shin Woo says.

 

His dad, the king comes forward into the room as Raeun climbs out of the bed and gather up her things. She bows to him and leaves. The room is now left with just them both.

 

“I got news saying that Princess Young has come back”

 

Shin Woo’s head shoots up and he didn’t look too happy. His dad turns to him.

 

“The wedding will still happen, therefore…”

 

He stands up from the couch, cutting his dad off. Their eyes lock.

 

“I don’t want to marry her” Shin Woo says.

 

“Why? Is it because I let you play around too much now you won’t even listen to me?” his dad says.

 

The room becomes silent including Shin Woo himself. The king turns away with his hands behind his back.

 

“Later, I’m going over to see the princess. You must go with me. There’s no excuse”

 

Shin Woo stands there speechless as his dad then leaves the room. Sitting in bed, Misun bored herself by staring off into space. The door opens and another maid comes in with a small bowl on a tray.

 

“Here is your medicine, gongju”

 

She set it on the table and turns to Misun and bows. Misun grabs her arm before she could turn around to leave. She wanted to ask about Joo Ah. Is she okay? How is she doing? Can she go see her?

 

“What is it, gongju? You want to go somewhere?” the maid says.

 

Misun nods her head desperately, but the maid takes her hand off and place it back to Misun’s lap and bows.

 

“I’m sorry, gongju. But the king has order for no one to take you out. Not until you’ve recover” she says.

 

Misun sits there hopeless. The maid bows once more and leaves the room with the door close shut. Because of her, someone has got hurt. Someone who is innocent got hurt because of her careless action. She didn’t think running away would be this much trouble. This world is cruel. No. It is a cruel world to start off with.

 

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ As said, Shin Woo and his dad has gone to visit the Young Palace where they are welcomed by In Ryu’s parents. They are in the lobby together as the elders chat about the wedding.

 

“Shin Woo?”

 

He snaps out and turns to the queen who speaks to him.

 

“Why don’t you go see In Ryu? She’s still resting in her room, so she won’t be coming down here” she says.

 

He exchange looks with his dad and then back to the queen as he nods. He gets up and leave the room as he hears them continue on talking about tomorrow’s plan. In the bedroom, Misun sits up against the puffy pillows and becomes bored again. Yet, there is a lot in mind that she worries over. What will she do if the wedding is still tomorrow? She definitely won’t be able to escape this time. And most importantly, with her voice gone she can’t convince In Ryu’s parents either. Just what is there for her to do to avoid this? The small knock lightly hits on the door and she turns to it alert by the sound. The doorknob twist open and she sees a tall figure standing there as he enters. A smile smears across his face that minute their eyes meet. Misun didn’t expect to see Shin Woo. Besides, what is he doing here at this time? She glance over to the clock to see that it is already night.

 

“You must be curious about why I’m here at this hour, right?” he says, going towards her.

 

It’s good that he could read her mind because she won’t be able to say it out. He settle on the edge of her bed and looks at her.

 

“I heard you lost your voice? Did something happened to you while you went missing?”

 

In a flash, she recalls witness the lady getting slashed on the back in front of her own eyes and getting scared the hell out by Minkyong, making her become mute. Shin Woo looks at her as he waits for her to look at him back. Misun averts her eyes to him and he smiles. Could she trust him? He isn’t someone who she’s uncomfortable with so it’ll be alright if she lets him know, right? But...if it were to be In Ryu, she probably won’t tell him nor anyone. She isn’t the type to tell what she thinks.

 

“In Ryu?”

 

Misun snaps back to reality and sees him there with a worried expression.

 

“Are you okay? You seem out of yourself?” he says.

 

She shakes her head and gives a weak smile. No. It’s better if she don’t let anyone know. But she have to get her voice back. That’s what’s important to her as of now. She can’t act foolish no more. She have to think like In Ryu. Like the princess before everything became to be this way with her now here. Yes. As of now and from onwards, she has to think of herself as the princess. This might be her only chance to get out of everything and maybe bring her back to where she really belongs. Not here. But home. Home to her world...where she should really be at.

 

 

A/N: i've tried to make this chapter long and i think it's pretty lengthen the way i want it to be. *silent readers please leave a comment. otherwise i feel like there isn't much support for me to continue on. however, i want to thank my cousin, Xionggirl25 for encouraging me along the way.  ;D