Chapter 1

Unfinished Story

 

A/N: just a little intro of how everything started. :)

 

 

 

 

 

"Misun? Misun ah? Has anyone seen her?"

 

In the library, the sunlight beams through the windows to lighten the place that always appear to be scary for her to be in. But with the sun, Misun feels more at ease. She shuffles through the bookshelves for an interesting plot to read. Suddenly, she hears voices approaching the door. She hides quickly behind the shelf, staying low to the floor as possible. The voices stayed a few minutes and slowly goes away. Misun lets out a sigh and pulls herself up. At the same time, her hand accidentally knocks over a book and it falls to the ground. She remains still in case anybody might hear the noise. Reassuring herself, Misun gently picks up the book and turns it to the front of the cover. Right away, she could tell it is an old book judging from it's texture and color. She wipes the cover and the dust smears off as it reveals the title. Misun stares at it to read "Unfinished Story" written on the cover in black ink.

 

"What is this? My grandparents have this kind of book in their library?"

 

She couldn't believe her eyes as she looks at the book that is bind together with a string and papers inside that sticks out unevenly. Misun stands up to put the book away back to where it was and heads toward the door. She grabs the knob and push, but it wouldn't open as if it is stuck. Misun turns the knob and push again, but it wouldn't loosen.

 

"Hello? Anyone out there!?"

 

She pounds on the door and calls out multiple of times, yet no one seem to be around. Just then, Misun feels goosebumps crawling behind her back as if someone is watching her. At first, she didn't dare to turn to look and the only thing she hears is her heart beating against her chest rapidly. After swallowing hard, Misun finally turns herself around yet her eyes barely open. It is quiet and no one is there.

 

"It must be my imagination" she sighs.

 

She wanders through the library and eventually finds herself digging the book shelves again. Her hand pulls out the same book from earlier and she takes it into her palms. Something about it makes her feel uneasy as she holds it with care. She settle down at the table with the old rusty book laying in front of her. Somehow, she begins to hesitate. Finally making up her mind, she brings the book toward her.

 

"Well, I can't judge a book by it's cover"

 

She opens to the first page and finds it all neatly written in ink. On the first page, there is a short wording in the middle of the paper.

 

"Even if our story was unfinished, our love was what made us complete" Misun reads aloud.

 

She turns to the next page and begins to read, "Once upon a time..."

 

 

Once upon a time, in a far away land lived a king and queen. Together they had a beautiful daughter who they named Young In Ryu. Young In Ryu gongju (princess). As a child, her parents already decided who was going to be In Ryu's future husband. However, she refused to meet him by locking herself in the house. But her parents suddenly set a date for them. A date where she had to meet all the princes from different region, including the man of her parent's choice who she has no clue of how he looks like.

 

"Gongju! In Ryu gongju!" the maid called as she knocked on the door.

 

There was no answer. The maid finally opened the door to find In Ryu coming out of the bathroom with her robe on.

 

"Gongju, I called you so many times. Did you not hear me?" the maid said, almost breathless.

 

In Ryu goes over to her chair and sat down in front of the mirror as she saw her own reflection. She took the comb on the desk and started combing her long black-brownish hair.

 

"Gongju" the maid repeated.

 

She set the comb down and her eyes on the mirror turned to the maid as became quiet and her head hung low. In the huge lobby of the palace, voices were chattering as they echoed from down the hallways. In Ryu entered the room with a flowy dress and her hair/makeup perfectly done. The gentlemens became quiet as they saw her came in. She stopped in front of them and scanned their faces to find them unsatisfying. Just when she was about to turn around and leave, a pair of feets came into the room. Her eyes met his; they were rather dark and huge. He stood tall out in front of her, dressed in an appropriate way.

 

"You're late, sir. The date is already over" In Ryu said.

 

The other men couldn't believe what they heard from her as their faces were confused. In Ryu was about to leave, but she felt her wrist grabbed onto by his hand. They turned to face each other.

 

"You haven't even started yet, so how can you just leave?" he asked.

 

"Let go of me" In Ryu snapped back.

 

The man slightly chuckled which made In Ryu boiled angrily.

 

"Do you not know who I am? Let go this instant!"

 

Everyone in the room stared at them. In Ryu tried pulling her hand away, but he held so tight that it literally glued onto her.

 

"I'll let go, but that's only if you and I have a chat together alone" he said.

 

In Ryu stopped and looked at him annoyed. A servant comes in with a tray of glass water. In Ryu pulls loose from him and grabbed the glass. The water slapped him in the face as he stood there. Everyone in the room was in shock. In Ryu handed the cup back to the servant as she locked eyes with the man. The water dripped down his face.

 

"A man who doesn't know his place, shouldn't dare to ask a chance to talk to me" In Ryu said.

 

He wiped his face with his hand and looked at her. Their eyes were sending lasers at each others, but she turned away to face the others on the room.

 

"That's it for today. Everyone may be dismissed!"

 

She left the room and everyone else hesitated at first, but finally went. The servant bows at the man and apologized.

 

 

"It's okay. You were just doing your job" he said.

 

The servant apologized again before leaving him behind. He averted his eyes over to the door and smirked.

 

"I'll let this one slide, but next time I won't let you go easily, Young In Ryu"

 

 

After finishing that page, Misun set the book down and thinks to herself. Who is this man? He sounds interesting. The way he behave towards the princess is something different from all the other stories she read before. She turns back to the book and continues on.

 

A week later…

 

A week later, her parents set another plan B by calling all the prince and princess from all over the place to come to a masquerade party at night. The palace was filled with many food and drinks. Everything was perfectly put together, making the place shine. The door was opened to all the guest that were invited and the palace was soon crowded.

 

“In Ryu gongju? Everyone has arrived and are waiting for you to go down” the maid said, outside her bedroom door.

 

It was silent. The maid called again, but there was no response. She grab the door knob and opened the room to find no one inside. In the lobby, music were being played by the musician while everyone was enjoying the food and drinks. In Ryu was standing against the pillar with a glass of wine in her hand. [this is what she wored]

 

 

 

 

 

“Excuse me, miss” a voice spoke.

 

She turned to the figure that approached her. He had a bright smile on his face, but she cared less and ignored him. Politely, he bows like a gentlemen and with that In Ryu decided bow in return.

 

“My name is Park Il Hoon. Miss, you are…”

 

“In Ryu. Young In Ryu” she filled his blank line.

 

Just then, there was a loud commotion going on by the entrance. In Ryu turned to look to find the same man from the other day. He was noticable because of his height. All the princess were gathering around him, trying to talk over one another to him.

 

“Why is he here?” In Ryu mumbled, and then lift her glass to as she drank in one gulp.

 

“You know him?” Il Hoon asked her.

 

She set the cup down on the table and stared at the man who smiled carelessly. Il Hoon just looked at her curiously.

 

“I’m going to get some fresh air. Please excuse me”

 

She bows and he watched her left the palace. Outside away from all the noise, In Ryu takes off her mask and glanced up into the starry sky. She took a few breaths to smell the cooling air, but another scent came along making it unpleasant. In Ryu’s eyes darted around the flower garden and upon a dark figure that laid on the bench just a few feet away from where she stood. Without thinking first, she finds herself going towards the person.

 

“Excuse me, but smoking is restricted here” In Ryu said.

 

The figure sat up and the pole light that hung above them shined his face. The puff of cloud escape his mouth and he throws his cigar down as he stepped on it. In Ryu felt she was being insulted by his action. He stood up and his eyes locked hold onto hers.

 

“You’re annoying”

 

Right away, In Ryu was pitched hard and she held a fist as he just left after bumping shoulders with her. She scoffed to herself unbelievable. Just who did he think he was messing with a princess in her palace? Inside the lobby, everyone was slow dancing with her partners. In Ryu made her way in and the palace guards bow when she passed by. Her eyes quickly searched for him, but then her eyes came upon another person who held out her mask.

 

“How can a gongju leave her mask behind and come to the party?” the man from the other day said.

 

In Ryu snatched for it, but he held it back and smirked. She looked at him confused.

 

“But I think this is better, so then everyone can see your real face”

That moment, she was really pissed off and in an blink of an eye, her hand hit him across the face. The place became silent all at once as they stared at them. The man touched his cheek and chuckled. In Ryu turned to go.

 

“Wait!

 

She stopped and faced him again. He looked more angry than her as he approached her.

 

“You like to play rough, right? Alright. Then, I’ll show you something you won’t forget”

 

He suddenly pulled her toward him as her mask fell from his grip and their lips locked. Everyone gasped at the sight. In Ryu tried to fight back, but he held her so tight that she almost couldn’t breathe. He finally drew back and she pant, gasping for oxygen as she then covered and glared at him. A smirk smeared across his face, making her disgusted. All eyes were watching them.

 

 

Misun stops reading and lets out a sigh. She could feel her heart fluster when reading that scene, but somehow at the same time she finds the other man from the flower garden mysterious. Who is he? She focus back into the story.

 

 

The door flings open and In Ryu threw her mask over to her bed and stood there in the room. She touched her lip and could still feel the burning anger inside her. Her eyes came in contact with the mirror as she saw herself.

 

“Messing with me, right? Okay. Fine. I’ll play with you. Just you wait”

 

She turned around to find her maid standing there by the doorway and she flinched a bit.

 

“You, who was that man?” In Ryu asked.

 

“M-Man? Gongju, you mean Prince Shin Woo?” she said, frighten.

 

“Prince Shin Woo? So that’s his name?”

 

The maid couldn’t look up at her as she continued to stare at the ground. In Ryu smiled slyly as an evil plan pops into her mind.

 

* * * * * * * 

 

The next morning, In Ryu personally had Shin Woo invited to meet her as she had everything plotted out the way she wanted. They’re sitting in her bedroom with tea and snacks at the table.

 

“This is really unexpected. Are you up to something?” he asked, holding his cup.

 

In Ryu slightly smile and looked at him. He took a sip from his cup, then set it down. She glance at his cheek.

 

“You seemed fine to me. I mean, I hitted you pretty hard yesterday” In Ryu said.

 

Shin Woo looked up to her with a grin on his face.

 

“Yeah? Well, I got to kiss you pretty good too” he snapped back.

 

She tried to remain calm because of his words that shot back at her. Instead, she smiles shyly. He watched her closely. In Ryu stood up from her chair and went over to him. She placed her hand on his shoulder as he stayed in place. She leaned from behind him to his ear.

 

“Really? Then...can I ask for another one?” she whispered.

 

Suddenly, something hits him hard in the head. His vision became unclear. In Ryu smirked as she drew away from him. Shin Woo collapsed over to the table.

 

“You think you can only play with me. I can do that also too, Lee Shin Woo”

 

Turning to leave, she felt a hand grabbed her wrist which startled her. Just then, she finds herself pushed against the wall and she couldn’t believe her eyes.

 

“I’m sorry, but I’m not that stupid to fall for your small tricks like this” he said as he puts his hands on the wall, keeping her inside.

 

“You were pretending? Then…”

 

“Bingo. I switched our cups” Shin Woo grinned.

 

It finally hit her and she began to feel dizzy.

 

“You. Y-You” she said.

 

“Heh, so...how does it feel like to take your medicine for trying to get back me? Good, right?” he said.

 

In Ryu’s body began to slow down and became weak. She slumped, however Shin Woo caught her in time.

 

“Let go..”

 

Shin Woo ignored her order and instead, he carried her on his arms and went over to the bed. She is placed down as she was still aware of him being there beside her.

 

“You’re really an interesting one?” he said, but they were so vivid to her.

 

And it was the last time she ever saw his back turning on her as he left the room.

 

 

Half through the book, Misun begins to feel attach to this and keeps wanting to read more. She turns to the next page, yet finds it empty. Confused, she flips to the next and the next, but there is no writing.

 

“What? What is this?” Misun says, as she couldn’t believe there is no more.

 

Then, the library door starts to rattle as voices are outside. Misun grabs the book and hides under the table. The door opens and they step inside.

 

“Aish...what am I going to do? I can’t let them find me here or else I’m dead” she says quietly.

 

Abruptly, the book she hold in her arms begin to light up. She notice it and tries to cover the beaming light. However, footsteps slowly gets closer to where she is.

 

“What is this?” Misun says, and she opens the book.

 

It hits her face, blinding her eyes as she is into the book. The book lies there under the table.

 

“Oh? Did I forget to put this one away?” Misun’s aunt says, as she bends down to grab it.

 

“What are you doing?” Misun’s uncle asks.

 

“It’s nothing. She’s probably not here. Let’s go look somewhere else”

 

Her aunt place the book back onto the shelf and leaves as they lock up the library. The book slowly glows for a moment and then vanish.

 
 
 
 
How is it? Okay? Cuz I think it is :P