1

Twisted Fairytale

Thanks to marcybacon, DaeBaek_Hyun, BanaKpopLove, myung-yeollipop, shineeeverybody, woonieto, and pendosa for subscribing!


Chanyeol is a prince. No really, he’s a prince. He’s the second eldest of the Park family, as well as heir to the throne. It isn’t that big of a status considering most of Fairytopia was divided into small kingdoms and their rulers, but as one born under royalty, Chanyeol has a status to uphold, and his family’s name to protect.

         Chanyeol doesn’t exactly look like a prince. He has pointed ears that his sister would like to poke fun at, saying that their parents had actually picked him up from the Elven communities because they needed a son. He was also rather gawky. Clumsy Prince Chanyeol he would hear the townsfolk call him. A royal clutz with a heart of gold. They’re half right, of course. Chanyeol can’t even count the number of times he had left his chambers, only to catch his foot on the door frame and somehow destroy some valuable work of art that had been hanging in the palace for centuries. His room is extremely barren due to that reason and it often gives him a sense of loneliness. He doesn’t spend much time there anyways, save for sleeping or bathing. He’d much rather be outside, doing things like fence with Yifan, the crown prince of the Wu family.

         So yes, Chanyeol is a rather graceless, awkward giant, but when he hears the townspeople speak of his deeds, and how they say he has a heart of gold, he cringes on the inside. Because in Chanyeol’s opinion, he doesn’t have a heart of gold. He’s only doing his duties, what he‘s supposed to do as heir to the Park throne. In order to make up for his faults, his lack of elegance, in order to save face and not disgrace his family name, Chanyeol acts selfless. Almost all of his actions are selfless, most for the betterment of their community, their kingdom. But Chanyeol isn’t selfless, he isn’t noble or gallant or some Prince Charming like those from the history books.

         Chanyeol is scared.

         Scared of his obligations, of all the pressures of ruling a kingdom. Just like all the other kingdom’s princes, their story has already been written out to a certain extent. They are princes, and they must save their ‘princess’, their destined partner, after passing a number of obstacles. After rescuing their true love, they rule over their kingdom in peace, raising their children up to society’s standards and when their children are of age, the process begins again. A never ending cycle of the same fairytale.

Each royal family had one. A certain storyline that repeated itself with every new generation. They were the tales that kept Fairytopia running, the only thing the citizens had ever known. Myths and legends never left their lives, because it was a part of their lives. Stories surrounded them.

Like Yifan’s land for example. Yifan’s kingdom was known for their dragons. Beautiful, majestic dragons that the kingdom had made peace with. Amazing creatures that lived in the mountainsides, flying through the clouds, their scales casting down a rainbow of sunlight down onto the people, with such grace that Chanyeol couldn’t help but feel envy. But despite their immense structure and stoic expressions, dragons always held an air of such elegance, such class that Chanyeol knew no matter hard he tried, he could never achieve. Some things you were just born with.

Yifan was like the incredible and grandiose creatures that shared his home. Regardless of his tall (even taller than Chanyeol) build, every step Yifan took, every movement he made had purpose, sophistication. That is, until he was behind closed doors. Despite his majestic and unapproachable air, Yifan was just as much of a child at heart as Chanyeol, always telling Chanyeol to loosen up, and that princes didn’t always have to act like they had sticks up their asses. But Chanyeol could never seem to let go of his act. His act of selflessness, donating to the peasants, visiting the sick houses, watching over their kingdom’s activities.

Because that’s what he was supposed to do. For his family. For his face. For his future.

Surprisingly, arranged marriages were not traditional, and quite rare. Princes are allowed to select who they want to spend the rest of their life with. Chanyeol thinks this is ironic considering the circumstances and the world they live in but he’ll gladly accept any bit of freedom from his role. Chanyeol also struggles with the fact that as he grows older, so does the number of responsibilities and duties he must take on. Due to being trained and raised to rule a country, Chanyeol never even got the chance to attend public junior high, having to pull out his last year of elementary school and switching over to private tutoring so he could start his royal training but still keep up with his studies. He doesn’t exactly miss the idea of school, but more of the idea of being surrounded by his peers. Chanyeol was a sociable person, but he soon found out that the life of royalty was also one of loneliness. He can’t exactly recall most of his classmates, their faces unclear or blurred in his memory, save for one face. A face that stood out to him clear as day.

A face that belonged to a boy named Byun Baekhyun.


Unbeta-ed, sorry for the delay.

I was planning to type out this intense long oneshot and post but I didn't want you all to wait too long so I've decided to post in small sections, then at the end, post the entire story as a oneshot.

Sorry it took so long for this to come out, I've been putting more time into Perks Of Being A Unicorn, I apologize for neglecting everyone that took the time to wait for this update.

Please subscribe, upvote, and comment if you enjoyed and want to keep up!

Less than three,

PalmerPie