AU; Hyuk/OC

VIXX Oneshots

 

heartstrings
A single bump in the road of love can cause hundreds of ripples.
 

story layout credit

I stare at my hands as I sit on the couch. I can't remember when I'd sat down but I don't remember it being dark outside when I had. I slowly turned to our bedroom door, closed, like always it seemed now. Maeri had locked herself inside again.

I rested my face in my hands, another heavy sigh escaping my lips. I closed my eyes, mind mulling over my thoughts once more. My chest ached with what I knew was happening to us but I didn't want to admit we were falling apart.

Running a hand over my face and through my hair, I sighed. My movements caused the papers on the coffee table to ruffle in the slight breeze and I found myself staring at them, imaging they'd never been set in front of me and that I could just wish them away.

I twisted the ring around my finger as I sat back against the couch. I let myself drift along in my thoughts, staring out into the city from our apartment window. Cars sped along, people went about their lives. No one seemed to care that his life was on the brink of collapsing.

Screams filled his ears as he rushed Maeri into the emergency wing. They were both covered in blood, Maeri crying as she gripped his arm tightly. She was having trouble breathing, panic and fear clear on her face. He tried to be strong for her but he was a mess on the inside himself.

Maeri was whisked away by a team of nurses and a doctor, leaving me to deal with explaining her sudden abdominal pain, the bleeding, her spike in pain on the way here.

Two hours later, I entered her room, my clothes still covered in blood. Dried now but still a sickening reminder of what had happened. Maeri was staring out the window by her bed. When she saw me, her gaze made me nervous. It was void of emotion, her eyes red with tears as I stepped closer to her.

A doctor entered shortly after I did and even though we all knew what he was going to say, he spoke the words that we dreaded to hear.

"I'm sorry, but you've lost the baby."

---------------------

"Shikuro!" I screamed, throwing my jacket at Hyuk. My chest was heaving and my breath loud in the sudden silence.

"How could you do this to me?" I whispered. "How? You knew how I felt about the situation and yet..." My voice cracked and I glanced away from him.

I closed my eyes tight as I gripped the back of the chair tightly. The sudden urge to cry had washed over me, renderending me silent. The pain in my chest felt like I was being crushed, the ability to breathe properly proving difficult.

"Why?" I spoke softly, wiping at my eyes.

After a few moments of silence, I glanced at him. He was staring at me with tears in his eyes, his hands crushing the flowers he'd gotten me for our dinner date. He dropped the flowers and took a step towards me, yanking me into a hug even though I struggled.

He'd cheated. The son of a had cheated.

I rolled over to face away from his side with a frown. I let myself stare out the window at the city, wondering what would have happened to us if we hadn't lost the baby. Would we have fallen into our own depressions? Would we have blamed each other? Would Hyuk still have cheated?

I sighed and rubbed at my face. It was no use thinking it over. I was never going to find the answers I wanted anyway. Not with how we were acting now. I couldn't even look at him. The pain still raw even after two months.

Slowly, I sat myself up and swung my feet over the edge of the bed. I sat there for a few minutes, my hand rubbing my stomach, imaging our child still growing inside me, healthy and alive.

Tears stung my eyes and I quickly wiped them away, forcing myself to stand and head out of the room. The lights from the living room blinded me even with their low setting.

I glanced around but didn't spot Hyuk and I actually sighed in relief. If he'd been out here I wasn't sure what I would do. Ignore him most likely. Like I had been doing.

My eyes paused on the coffee table and then paper that had been left there. With my tears threatening to fall again, I sat on the couch and stared at the neat signature scrolled across the bottom of the divorce papers below mine.


Author's Note: I listened to Say Something (Eric Name's cover) on repeat while writing this. You don't have too, but I suggest you listen to it while you read. It doesn't really have anything to do with the story itself, but it sets the mood I suppose. It's an amazing song isn't it? Pulls at your heartstrings and I love it. Just so you know, Hyuk's parts are in bold and bold italic are his memories whereas Maeri's part is in regular font and italic for her memories. I've never done something like this. In fact, I don't even know if it's a proper writing style but I thought what the hell. If you enjoy it, let me know. :)