September 20, 2011

He Is My First...

I just wanted to clarify things. The diary entries are in italics, in Lay's point of view. The story is being flashed back by Minseok, but the speaker/thinker is constantly changing. I've changed their ages a bit, so it would make sense as to why they all attend high school together. Anyways, enjoy.

 

September 20, 2011

The day I first met him, I knew that I liked him already. 

"

The line up for food was extremely long, reaching to the main doors of the cafeteria. Minseok thankfully got there early, so he was guaranteed the special hot meal of the day: steamed buns and kimchi soup. He was already loving his new school because it was coincidentally his favourite food that they were serving on the first day back. Minseok scanned the cafeteria and saw an empty double seat table at the corner. He hasn't made friends yet, and he was preparing himself to be friend-less for the whole school year because he wasn't the type to go forward and make friends. He erased the thought from his mind, remembering his promise to himself that he would stay positive for the day. The hot meal steamed against his face as he inhaled the heavenly smell. He reached the front of the line, and opened up his neon blue wallet that had Donald Duck's face on it. He began to take out the amount needed, 6000 won, but realized that he was short 2000. 

"Ah- I'm short 2000," he whispered to himself. The lunch lady raised her eyebrow with no sign of interest, and looked to the next person in line, a slim boy slightly taller than him. Minseok shoved the money back into his wallet, and began to walk away from the line and the handsome boy who watched him embarrass himself. 

"Here." Minseok heard the boy behind him say. He turned around and saw him exchange the hot meal he was holding for a regular one. Minseok frowned in confusion, but kept walking anyway. "Hey." 

Minseok felt a light hand stop him by his shoulder. The boy held out the hot meal in front of him, gesturing Minseok to take it. 

"Oh.. no, no. You didn't have to, I can just buy-"

"I'm not gonna let you starve." The boy smiled at him, placing the tray into his arms. He already knew that if he couldn't afford the hot meal AND was short 2000, then it meant he couldn't afford anything on the menu. 

Before Minseok could refuse again, or even thank him, the boy grabbed his own regular meal, and headed off to a table where only one other boy sat, looking un-pleased at everyone who sat around them. He walked around the cafeteria, trying to avoid any contact with the boy, and he sat down in the empty spot he saw awhile ago. He saw the boy frowning down at his phone, and the person beside him was eating the regular meal, irritated. Minseok turned to face his glorious hot meal, and he stared it at it for some time before slowly taking a bite.


Moments later when he was a few bites away from finishing his kimchi soup, the boy who bought him his lunch appeared , pulled up a chair, and sat beside him. The other boy he was with, sat in front of Minseok and was looking at the hot meal, and then at Minseok repeatedly.

"Lay, see? He got the hot meal." The manly, cold looking boy said, arms crossed.

"I told you they ran out when I got there!" 

The boy that was complaining scanned the room and scowled, "Almost everyone has a hot meal." 

"Almost everyone. Just be thankful that I bought you one," said the boy, looking over at Minseok and giving him a slight kick from underneath the table. He smiled at Minseok and a faint dimple appeared on his cheek.

Minseok realized that the boy had given the hot meal to him instead of his own friend who kept complaining. Why?He silently watched the two friends rant at each other, chuckling in his head.

"Who is this kid anyways? Why are we even here?" the complaining boy hit Lay's arm. 

"I made friends with him awhile ago. He's.." Lay eyed Minseok waiting for him to answer.

"Minseok. Kim Minseok..." he cautiously looked over at Lay who was still smiling at him, leaning closer towards him. The boy in front him sighed,

"You're new here aren't you?" Minseok nodded.

"I'm new here too! A freshman, but I went to middle school with Kris. I guess you'll be hanging out with us losers from now on," Lay added making Minseok blush, "Its just us three." 

Kris nodded, and then bolted up in his seat, "Wait- what do you mean losers? We're not losers." he hissed, defending himself. 

Lay shook his head and laughed. "Baboyah. Losers or not, we have a new addition," he declared. 

Minseok didn't refuse accepting the friendship declaration. He was glad that Lay had approached him, or else he'd be facing his junior year as a loner. He was overjoyed that he didn't have enough money to pay for his hot meal, or Lay would've never intervened and paid for him. Minseok was happy because he now had a friend- two friends, and that was more than he was asking for.

"Well, our new friend," Kris reached over and picked up the Donald Duck wallet placed beside Minseok, "Certainly does not have good fashion taste." 

"I think it's cute." Lay piped in, before Minseok's face turned as red as a tomato. Awkward silence was met between the trio when Lay started typing away at his phone, and Kris began to stare at Minseok. He silently finished the remains of his steamed bun, not fully feeling the satisfaction of the food, and gulped down some water.

"You don't talk much, do you?" Lay began, putting away the phone in his pocket. 

"Neither do you." Kris scoffed before Minseok could speak (again), "Yeah..why are you so chatty today? It's weird..." Lay's cheeks began to grow hot, and he glanced Minseok's way who grinned in between his chewing. 

"I don't know... change is good, right?" Lay looked down at the table, the redness of his cheeks disappearing. Minseok could feel the awkward tension, and decided to just keep silent. He watched Kris reach his hand over to Lay, and squeeze his shoulder with a reassuring smile, 

"Of course Yixing." 

-

The bell rang, signalling the end of the lunch break. Kris sighed as he stood up, and Minseok's eyes widened as he stood in unison, not realizing how tall he actually was. He felt like a child compared to the muscular and tall Kris. Lay grew quiet, and he eyes were glued on his cellphone, again. Kris shoved Lay off of his seat, and he stood up and began to walk, but his eyes were still focused on the cell phone. When they had reached the door, Lay was bumped by the flock of students rushing to get out. Minseok picked it up for him, and saw his conversation with a blonde girl named "Hyo Noona." Before he ended up reading the conversation, Lay grabbed the phone out of Minseok's hand. He kept his hands in his pockets, and followed Kris, leaving Minseok behind to follow them. Hyo Noona? Must be his girlfriend. Minseok looked down at his feet, embarrassed that Lay was now ignoring him. He should've just not picked up the phone in the first place. He looked up from the floor and Lay's hands were still shoved in his pockets.


Kris lead the way to the deserted hall that Minseok remembered, was told not to go to. He wanted to ask where they were going, but just decided to follow. Lay gradually started to walk slower to meet Minseok beside him, and he began to smile at him again. Minseok felt relieved, smiling back. Kris giggled sneakily, leading them to a door where he had to push hard to open, and quietly entered. It was a stair case, a narrow one. The walls were dusty and the old wooden steps creaked with every step weighed on it. Minseok feared that it would break down on him, but the two boys ahead of him rushed up with no hesitation.

"We use this staircase all the time. It's the old part of the school, that's why no one uses it." Lay explained, holding the door ajar that Kris playfully slammed on them, waiting for Minseok to reach the top. He peeked out, and then opened the door only slightly, letting themselves out. The hall was deserted except for Kris who stood waiting for the boys, but the sound of rustling feet and slamming lockers could be heard. "No one comes here." 

"Well, yes we come here to get to classes faster...but, we use it for other private purposes too." Kris squinted his eyes at Lay who slapped him. They chased each other and Lay jumped on his back, and they were laughing. Minseok watched in awe, and he laughed along too, trailing behind the boys. 

They walked down the narrow hall, and turned to another door where the students were now visible through the translucent window. Lay let Minseok through before himself, and followed him to his locker. They parted from Kris who's locker was further than theirs.

"You owe me a hot meal tomorrow Zhang Yixing! See you guys!" He called, waving at them and pushing aside the smaller people that crowded around him. They waved back, and laughed as he forcibly made his way through the crowd. 

"I think I'm the one who owes him the hot meal." Minseok said as he turned the dial on his lock.

"No. Don't worry about that." Lay smiled as he leaned his arm against the locker beside Minseok's, his whole body weighed on it. Minseok broke eye contact with him, and began to grab his books. His cheeks began to flush as he felt Lay's eyes linger on him. He is so handsome, he thought, slamming his locker door close, reminding himself of that girl Lay was messaging.

Minseok's locker was in the English hall and Lay's was opposite, in the Math hall. He offered to walk Lay to his locker as well, being the only thing he could do to repay for everything he did for him today. Lay pursed his lips and nodded. The halls were less chaotic, and they could walk normally without being pushed around every second, but they stood close- almost too close, their arms constantly hitting each other's as if glued together. They reached Lay's locker and his smile was still visible, his dimple still showing. 

"Thanks, again for the meal. I'm sorry that Kris..." Minseok needed to say it again. He still felt like a burden, even though Lay reassured him not worry about it. 

"I told you, he can live, he's a big boy." Lay chuckled, taking off his uniform jacket, "Besides, if I hadn't, then I would've never met you." 

Minseok nodded in agreement, his big smile causing Lay to smile even wider. He patiently waited for him to fix his books in his bag, and while waiting, he couldn't help but notice a picture of the girl on his phone, taped on the door. Wow.

"She's pretty." Minseok gestured to the picture. Lay frowned in confusion, following Minseok's gaze, and then he hid his face, tore the picture off of the locker door, and crumpled it. He threw in his locker, and Minseok watched in shock as he almost broke down the locker door from slamming it shut. "Lay- I'm sorry." 

But Lay was smiling again, not his usual smile- more like a forced grin, and he ruffled his hands through Minseok's messy brown hair. "It's nothing. I'll see you later." And with that, he tapped his finger under Minseok's chin, flashed him his alluring dimple, and passed by him in a flourish. 

Minseok hesitated before turning back to see Lay keep walking forward. What just happened? He frowned, and walked to his class. The only thing in his mind was Lay and the picture of the the girl. 

Zhang Yixing. Minseok knew that it was his Chinese name, his accent in Korean giving it away. Zhang Yixing, Lay, whatever he wanted to be called, was Minseok's friend. He couldn't wait for the rest of the year to be spent with him- oh, and maybe Kris too. 

"

He was cute. Everything he did was cute, even though he didn't talk at all. Kris was right... I was really being chatty for some reason, but it's because I was trying to make a good first impression to Kim Minseok. I don't know if it worked, but I can't wait to see him again tomorrow, and the day after that, and then over and over again. 

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I'm excited for the school year, even though he won't be in any of my classes. I envy Kris for being older -.- haha I changed Kris' hot meal to a regular one for Minseok. I was planning to talk to him, even without switching the meals, but I guess it made more sense. Good move, right? 

He was cute and I can't stop saying it. It was mostly the way he ate in awkward silence, every bite he took made it seem like that steamed bun was the most delicious creation in all of the world. Ahh so cute. I can't get him off my mind. I'm smiling as I write this now, and it won't disappear off of my face. I feel silly. 

.... I don't know how to tell Minseok about Hyoyeon though. She's been stressing me out lately. He definitely thinks I'm crazy for raging at her picture that I left last year in my locker. I don't want to think about her anymore. She's old news. 

I like Minseok already, it's a bit crazy right? I don't know what's going on with me. Well... I don't like-him like-him, but he is special and I want to get to know him.

 Change is good, right?