First Weekend

A Day Late

 

TAEYEON

Taeyeon spent her Saturday with Jessica. Jessica had told the girl about her fight with Yuri in school the day before. They were arguing about going to the club.

 

It was the birthday of an old acquaintance, Yuri’s ex to be exact. Jessica told the girl that it was perfectly fine if she wanted to go but Yuri made a big fuss about Jessica overreacting and being sarcastic. It was just another one of their petty fights where it almost always ends with Jessica walking off after telling Yuri ‘I can’t help it if I’m born with this sullen looking expression all the time.’ Yuri kept insisting that Jessica is not fine and that the taller girl doesn’t mind bailing out of the party while Jessica insisted that Yuri should go.

 

 

‘That explains you ignoring her the whole night’

 

‘Was it that obvious?’

 

Jessica asked and Taeyeon nodded as she ate the pancakes that Mrs Jung placed on her plate.

 

‘You can’t blame her though. I can’t even tell if you’re being sarcastic or serious 80% of the time. And I’ve known you since forever.’ Taeyeon stated, smiling at Mrs Jung who was nodding in agreement from behind.

 

‘Hey, Taeyeon. Did you sleepover?’

 

Krystal, Jessica’s younger sister asked.

 

‘Yeah. Couldn’t resist your mum’s pancakes.’

 

‘Can you drop me off later?’

 

‘Amber’s?’

 

‘Yeah. As usual.’

 

‘Taeyeon’s not your driver. I’ll drive you’ Jessica poked her sister’s forehead. Krystal didn’t argue. A ride is a ride, it doesn’t matter who’s sending her.

 

Jessica’s mother asked Taeyeon a bunch of questions, mostly about her family. Taeyeon wasn’t surprised that Mrs Jung knew a lot of details. It was inevitable seeing how both Mrs Jung and Mrs Kim have been best friends for the longest time. Their families used to have picnics and spend Sundays together. At one time, Taeyeon was sure that Krystal had a crush on Jiwoong, Taeyeon’s older brother. Even though picnics and Sunday brunches are rare now that the kids have grown up, their mothers still meet each other more than once a week.

 

Taeyeon took a shower in Jessica’s room after breakfast and went to help Krystal with some rearrangement in her room while Jessica continued sleeping

 

‘She had a fight with Yuri, didn’t she?’

 

Taeyeon shrugged. She knew better than telling on her friend

 

‘Oh come on, Jess and I have no secrets. She told me every detail about her relationship with you too.’

 

Taeyeon could only ruffle Krystal’s hair as a response.

 

‘Yah!’ Krystal protested and threw a pillow at Taeyeon. It would have been a full on pillow fight if Taeyeon’s phone didn’t ring.

 

‘Jess, hey, Jess.’ Taeyeon slowly woke Jessica up.

 

‘What?’

 

‘Yuri’s worried about you. She said your phone’s off.’

 

‘Let her be.’

 

‘Come on, Jess. You know she didn’t mean it.’

 

‘Yeah right. She must have thought it was funny.’

 

‘She’s really sorry about it.’

 

‘I don’t want to talk about it.’

 

‘I’ve got to go now. Mum wants me to babysit Hayeon.’

 

‘Can I come?’ Jessica asked, suddenly sitting up

 

‘Huh?’

 

‘Like old times.’

 

‘Sure. Get up then.’

 

It didn’t take long them to reach Taeyeon’s place after dropping Krystal off. Jessica greeted Mrs Kim who welcomed her with a huge smile and a tight hug. Jessica spent the whole day sleeping on Taeyeon’s bed while Taeyeon played a few Disney movies to keep Hayeon occupied. Jessica had dinner with the Kims and it was slightly after dinner that Yuri came over. The taller girl had spent the entire Saturday morning and afternoon nursing a hangover. Jessica gave in and walked back with Yuri. Taeyeon knew Jessica spent the night there since she saw the pair leaving together the next day.

 

Sunday was spent babysitting Hayeon again. This time, Taeyeon couldn’t help but think of the redhead the whole time The Little Mermaid played on the TV.

 

 

TIFFANY

Tiffany woke up to constant ringing of the doorbell. She dragged her feet to the door only to be pushed inside as soon as she opened it.

 

‘You weren’t kidding when you said it was small’

 

‘Told you’

 

Tiffany scrunched up her nose and shuffled her feet to the couch, trying her best to fall back to sleep.

 

‘Oh get up you lazy bum. This place needs some redecorating don’t you think?’

 

‘The fridge needs restocking too.’

 

‘Seriously Miyoung, how in the world are you going to survive without us?’

 

‘I just moved in not too long ago. I’ll get them all done soon.’ Tiffany grumbled.

 

‘More like never. Get up before I throw that ugly Totoro doll away.’

 

Tiffany literally jumped off the bed and locked her bedroom door.

 

‘Don’t listen to mean Leo. You’re going to be okay.’ Tiffany the grey plush toy as her siblings laughed their heads off in the living room.

 

‘Took you long enough. Let’s go shopping.’

 

The Hwang siblings walked out of the apartment building together. Tiffany stopped and looked at the two cars that was parked outside.

 

‘You both drove?’

 

‘Oh. Dad’s giving you my old car. Here’s the keys. Do you want to drive us to the store or ride at the back in Leo’s?’

 

Tiffany paused for a minute before deciding that she rather be driven knowing that her siblings might be horrible back seat drivers if she drove.

 

They had a great time catching up while shopping for Tiffany's necessities. Michelle and Leo stayed for dinner. The pair even ended up staying over. A grown up sleepover. Tiffany thought. On Sunday morning, Tiffany waved goodbye to her older siblings when they finally left. She smiled when she entered her apartment, the vibe it gave out was so much better than before. There was more life to it now. She went straight to her room, pulling out a black box hidden under her bed. Tiffany pulled out a photo frame and walked back out. A lone tear rolled down her cheek as she placed it right in the middle of the shelf, she took a few steps back, reminiscing the good old days.