aleph

Waves of Entice

 
 
Aleph
Twelve hours in a limited, cramped space was not an ideal space to sleep in. Yes, although Joonmyeon wasn't all that tall or big sized, still, sometimes blood stop flowing to his legs due to the tiny leg space. In addition he was sitting in front of this annoying pesky child, who just wouldn't shut up. Oh, let's not forget the constant kicking his back had to tolerate.
However there was something he did enjoy on the trip, it was the amazing view he had experienced, perks of getting the window seat. He saw the lifeless sky transformed into a beautiful butterfly. Painted with warm colors was what made him smile. 
What made him smile even more was the captain announcing for landing. They descended with a few bumps as babies wailed in the background, but all in all, the whole journey was smooth.
Standing up with a wobble he quickly garner support from the neighboring chair to balance himself. Joonmyeon, reached up to get his hand carrier, since he won't be staying here long to need a luggage (and baggage fees). Before exiting the flying contraption with a content sigh.
People with huge baggage and tour groups could be seen, but all he needed to see was not in his sight. Clearly stating that the plane lands at 2:35 in the afternoon, Joonmyeon's sister was still beating the traffic.
He took a seat on the uncomfortable plastic chair, tapping his foot impatiently without a steady tempo. Waiting for his phone to light up with a text or a call. With a few more aggravation hits of foot, the call finally came.
"Oppa, taxi stand. Now." 
That was all Joonmyeon heard, before the line was cut off with a long beep. What a conversation. Still, Joonmyon followed his sister's instruction to the taxi stand. Weaving past a few annoying people who just stands in the middle of no where, blocking accessibility. He reached the black car his sister told him of a few days ago. Classy, sis, classy.
"I told you, it's 2:35! And look at the time now..." Joonmyeon lift up his wrist and checked his ticking , "...3! When are you ever on time?"
"Oppa!" His sister whined, irking Joonmyeon's ears even more, her voice was horrible enough, hearing her whine was even worst. "I didn't mean it, forgive me." Jutting out her bottom lips and looking at her brother with endearing eyes.
"Ageyo." He muttered under his breath. No matter how much Joonmyeon really dislike his sister, her ageyo were truly hard to resist. Plus if you don't forgive her, she would really tear until you feel darn guilty of your actions even though it wasn't your fault to start with. Yeah, she is that type of girl. 
"Whatever." Joonmyeon scoffed, looking at the passing view beyond the car's window. It's been years since he returned here, to Korea. And even though this wasn't the place he grew up in, it was still nice to breathe in the dainty air of South Korea and pleasing view of the countryside.
He was currently in Jeju, where his sister's wedding would be held in about a week or two (Joonmyeon wasn't sure cause even if his sister gave the exact date, she would definitely delay it, because she is always late). 
And to think of it, Joonmyeon hasn't asked anything about her wedding besides the venue and date. "So who's the groom?" The car swiveled a little, until his sister regained her composure, thank god there wasn't many cars on the road.
"Huh? I mean, his name is Kris." Eyes still on the road, hoping Joonmyeon wouldn't dig out that much information of her fiance or even disapprove of him in any way.
"Kris?" His brows were crossed and knitted into a thin line, trying to recall any 'Kris' he knows or his sister mentioned. "Who's Kris?" Eyebrows no longer furrowed, instead he had one raised.
"Um..." Her voice includes a lot of anxiety and nervousness, wild thoughts of her brother objecting her marriage spread 
through her mind. "Um... You don't really know him..."
"No , Sherlock." Joonmyeon rolled his eyes dramatically and scoffed under his breath. "Did you ask omma and appa for their opinion?"
Silence. He was answered by silence, all that was heard was the old retro music playing from the radio. His sister's eyes was darting between Joonmyeon and the road. Obviously something was wrong.
"Did you?" Joonmyeon repeated himself, making sure his Korean articulation was clear (and hoping it isn't lost due to the time he had spent in another foreign country).
"I... Ehh..." She hesitated, the car's speed slowly decreased and eventually stopped. Joonmyeon would have told her off for stopping in the middle of a road, but right now, her response was much more important.
"So? Did you?" Urging his talkative sister to speak.
After a long pause, she answered, "no." Clenching her teeth, she turned to look at her brother's reaction, only to see his eyes shut. "Please don't tell omma and app-"
"Turn the car back." Joonmyeon cut her off, with a stern sentence. And his sister knows, whenever Joonmyeon made a stand, he would never change it.
"Oppa!"
"I said turn the car around! You're not getting married without the consent of omma and appa, you hear me?!" She did hear him and he heard the sound of sobs escaping her lips and tears escaping her eyes.
"Oppa! You can't do this!" As he was about to exit the car, his sister reached out to grab his hand. "Please don't... I need you. Please, don't go."
Call Joonmyeon slow or whatever fits that adjective, he then realized why his sister desperately needs him. He was going to be the witness of her marriage.
"No..." He trailed, watching the tears fall from her eyes like tsunami tide. It was heartbreaking to his sister cry, but if their parents disapproves of this relationship, there wasn't much Joonmyeon could do. "I am sorry, sis."
The heart wrenching cries never stopped as Joonmyeon continued to pat his sister on the back as a reassurance (but not so much on the marriage side).
As his sister hiccuped to a stop, there was one pressing question in him he was dying to ask, which was also the one condition who would agree to witness her marriage. 
"Do you really love him?"
Nodding her head enthusiastically, as if seeing light in a dark cave, hope was pulsing in her veins. "I do! I really do! I love him so much." Dragging her 'so', it was as if she wasn't crying five minutes ago cause her voice was back to her perky state.
"Okay."
"What?" His sister had her eyes wide opened, glimpse of hope in her eyes. Praying what she had thought would be true. 
"Okay. I would witness your wedding." Holding a finger up, his sister was about to interrupt him when Joonmyeon, himself could sense her question, "without telling our parents."
"You're the best oppa!" She lunged into Joonmyeons arm, holding tightly, happy tears gathering in her eyes. With arms hanging by his side, not knowing what to do, his sister retracted from the embrace muttering millions of "thank you."

Something jabbed into his sides, jerking him awake with a jump. He muttered a string of inaudible words before leaning to a side, lids falling shut again. However the pokes only kept increasing, irritating the sleepy boy as he groaned and moaned to the pesky nudges someone (or something) was giving. Multiple 'stops' were whined out yet it didn't halt.
"Okay, okay. I am up. Damn it, can't you let me sleep." Still raging. He hit the cushioned sit with balled fist, eyes still blurred from dreams.
He felt a stare by his side, only annoying him more. Finally pealing his lids open, he saw his sister with crossed arms, glaring at his fetus form. "You done?"
"Woah, did you get up from the wrong side of the bed this morning?" Joonmyeon muttered, making sure his sister hears nothing of this, or else he might as well kiss his beating heart goodbye.
Taking his gaze away from his lap and sister's pissed look, he saw a brand new surrounding. There were no longer farms or cows roaming, instead it was pools and cocktails, he was at some high classed resort.
"Where did you get the money?" Unknowingly Joonmyeon muttered that out loud. Catching his sister's attention, the usual gummy smile displayed on her lips again.
"Figure it out by yourself, slowpoke." Her fingers twirling around her dyed auburn hair as she got out of the vehicle, slamming the door shut and throwing the valet her keys. 
"Okay so, your room card is here," Joonmyeon fumbled to catch the flying object, "and you just pretty much relax and witness my perfect marriage before I send you back to your crappy life." He watches his sister walked with her nose in the air and several staff trailing behind her.
Giving the back of his sister a shrug, he took his baggage and somehow found a way to his room. "Not so shabby, aye sis." It's a room commonly seen on television advertisement, you know with the private pools and king sized beds, yeah that. 
Joonmyeon dumped his bags on the marble tiles, before leaping on the bed. Oh trust me, this was the best part of his day. Imagine sleeping in restricted area with small leg space for two thirds of the day, and let's not forget nights in his office when he wakes up with bed sores, aching neck and a cranky attitude. This was literally his heaven, just laying on cotton sheets.
When he was about to fall back into dreams, the door bell woke him up. There comes grouchy grandpa Joonmyeon. He 
purposely stomped his feet, just to let the person outside know he is definitely not in the best mood. Grabbing the door handle, he yanked it open, words gathering in his head, ready to give this person a piece of his mind.
"Complementary drink, in courtesy of Ms Kim." On a tray was some kind of drink accompanied by some pastries. Joonmyeon raised a brow, staring at the tray presented to him. Seriously, where did his sister get all these cash?
"Oh, um, thanks." Hastily grabbing the platter, he slammed the door again. Placing the tray on one of the tables, taking the time to admire his room again.
"Sweet, I could definitely get use to this." After all, this was his sanctuary for a week or two, might as well make full use of this vacation before he was back in his own glass room, rushing reports and entertaining stupid questions.