Us Now

I'm Not a Bad Person

Mari woke up gasping for breath. She reached out and looked at her hands. When she saw nothing out of ordinary, she allowed them to fall to her sides. “Just purple nail polish and a small freckle on the right pinky” Mari said to slow her racing heart.
“You’re running late!” The voice of her mother reached the basement and she groaned. “Alright, thanks!” She hollered back. Getting ready really doesn’t take that long. She just didn’t want to go to school. Luckily she can take her time and walk. The school was only 3 minutes away from her neighborhood.

“Hey!” She turned to see a brightly smiling Ken behind her. They live a couple houses away from each other so walking to school together was normal. In fact they usually wait for one another.
“Did you hear that we are going on a school trip next week? I heard some teachers talking about it.” Mari shifted her bag. “No. I had no idea. Isn’t that a little short notice?”
Ken shrugged, but then smirked. “The teachers seem a little nervous about something. Maybe it’s because we are staying the night there and they don’t want anyone to get pregnant.” Mari scoffed and punched the smirking boy in the shoulder. “You’re so vulgar!”

The two approached the school yard and Ravi came up and slid his arms around Mari’s shoulders. “So, you’re definitely going to sneak out and sleep with us on the trip right?” She laughed “I couldn’t do that. I wouldn’t get any sleep. You people probably snore.” Ravi frowned. Ken looked at Mari and waved. “See you later at lunch.”  

Class began and the teacher shared the already leaked news about our last minute trip to the Crow Mountains. Everyone cheered even though we knew. Before class Mari had overhead some girls talking about what they were going to wear. Ravi looked at her and winked, bringing back what he had said earlier. Mari scoffed and began her assignment.

The bell rang for lunch and Mari stretched. She met Ken under a tree in the courtyard. “What do you think about this trip?” Ken seemed a little surprised about her question. “Uh…well honestly I think it sounds a little boring. If anything this will be a social event.” Ken shrugged and turned towards her. “Why? Do you not want to go?” Mari shook her head.
“No it’s not that. I was just wondering. I couldn’t tell if you were actually excited about it or not.”
Mari noticed some girls glancing over at her and whispering. She looked down at her lunch. Mari had always found herself surrounded by boys. It’s not like she meant to separate herself like that. It just sort of happened. It was easier with boys too, no drama or stupid fights.

Ken saw her expression and wanted to grab her hand, to tell her not to care about the girls staring and whispering about her. Things are always easier said than done. Instead he cleared his throat. “I got that new Pokémon game.”
She looked at him and smiled, her eyes gleamed. “Oh really, are you foreshadowing a feature challenge?”
Ken laughed and bit down on a carrot “Only if I can actually beat you this time.”

Lunch was over and Mari walked back inside. She noticed Leo and smiled at him. Leo has always been shy and quiet but it’s almost a little weird at how quiet he is. Sometimes she feels like she’s hardcore being judged by him.
“Do you really think going on this trip is a good idea?” He asked Mari as she got closer. She raised an eyebrow. “What are you talking about?”
Leo sighed. “The location…I just don’t want to see that house.” Mari was still confused but smiled again. “Don’t worry. The trip won’t be that awful. You might actually have fun. It’s our last school trip too. We might as well go.”
Leo scrunched his face and looked disinterested, even slightly annoyed by what she had just said. “I guess I’ll go.”

When school was over Ken nervously approached Mari. She had been talking to N about an assignment by the lockers. “Hey Mari, after dinner you should meet me at the park.” N gave Ken a smirk that luckily only he saw. His cheeks went a little warm but he held his face stable. Mari turned to Ken and gave a smile. “Okay. I’ll do that.” She then looked him over. “Are you ready to go home?”

After dinner Mari helped her mom gather the dishes. “Mom, there’s a school trip coming up next week.” Her mom was rinsing plates. “Oh, where are you going?” Mari had to think for a second. “I believed they said Crow Mountain.” Mari’s mom stiffened a little and she paused from what she was doing.
“Crow Mountain…what will you guys be doing there?” Her voice was thin

“Just hiking and sightseeing I guess.” The confusion was definitely present in Mari’s tone. Her mom continued rinsing the plates. “I don’t know if you should go.”
Mari’s heart and mouth dropped at the same time. “What? Why not? It’s our last trip together before we graduate.” She felt a little desperate and her mom was getting angry.

“I don’t think you should go.” She said again, raising her voice slightly. Mari’s dad came downstairs. “What’s going on?” Mari felt slightly relieved at the sight of her father. Maybe he could talk some sense into her mom.
“Mom isn’t letting me go to the upcoming field trip to Crow Mountain.”  He hesitated and looked at his wife. “Honey…it will be okay.” Mari looked at her dad, and then her mom, feeling completely left out.

“Okay…just be safe..” Was all her mother said to her before exiting out the room.