Schism

Cheonguk

 

From glorious starts to violent ends,
The story of life unfolded.
To restore peace and make amends,
The world now known was moulded.

    In the beginning, there was one realm inhabited by all three of the superior races. First were the angels in their immaculate glory, whose knowledge and righteousness built the foundations of society. They, the pure essence of life and harmony, thrived together as a population and embraced the world with gratitude. Their design was as close to perfection as this imperfect universe could beget. Bipedal yet winged, angels dominated both the land and the skies. Their build was agile and lithe, yet they did not hunt for their beliefs disallowed such monstrous behaviour. With their rapid healing abilities, injury and disease were never prevalent issues. Communication became a tremendous advancement in the behaviour of this race, as they could transfer thoughts through touch, making social bonds a vital aspect of angelic society. 

Wings of feathers, virtues true,
Creatures most kindhearted
The first to claim the lands of new
Before the conflict started

    Then came the demons, mere biogenetic mutations of a once perfect race. As altered, mutilated forms of the angels that came before them, demons were cast away, ostracized for their difference and imperfection. They lacked any care for moral conduct, and beliefs did not hinder them when it came to violence and destruction. Unlike their angel ancestors, all demons had something about them that was unique. Seemingly random in nature, demons were born with special abilities to each individual—mutations in their genetic structure that had unpredictable results. Some could manipulate the elements, some had physical adaptations that could both help or hinder them, and some had other, completely inexplicable powers. Tensions rose between the two races, and the Great War soon broke out. Angels could not tolerate the vicious ways of the demons, and demons would not conform to the governed ways of the angels.

Powers twisted, souls most dark,
The second to come were vile
Set with a journey of greed to embark
And conflicts that weren't worthwhile

    Somewhere amidst this imbalance, humans came into existence, as if the universe was trying to restore harmony. As a result of exposure to evil from the demons, angels would lose the divinity that was essential to their existence, and thus change into a weaker, tainted being—a human. Together, they congregated and formed their own society since they would not be accepted on either side of the war. However, this third race was far inadequate to the first two, and the humans were almost destroyed amongst the chaos that had erupted between the angels and demons. Families of angels, demons, and even humans were being torn apart and the destruction affected everyone. The two greater powers recognized the damage they were doing, and they knew it had to end.

Worthy of pity and not much more
The third was out of place
While lacking the strength of both before
Survival was hardly their grace

    On the eve of the Great Split, both sides ceased their fighting. As damages were assessed, the broken and scarred remains of angelic and demonic societies knew that the grudges formed between the races would never be erased. However, it was only by working together that they would be able to rid themselves of their enemies once and for all. They would separate the world itself in order to live in peace. As humans were also imperfect, they could not be accepted among angels, but the demons wanted independence and refused to accept the humans as well. So with the combined powers of the angels and the demons, the realm was split not once, but twice, and the demons and humans were each given a new world of their own.

So the angels and demons, both sentient beings
Created the Great Realms three
And with forces collided, the worlds too divided,
Allowing each race to be free

    And so the Universal Trinity was formed, with the Divine, Abyssal, and Mortal powers working in harmony at last. The Mortal Realm of the humans grew most distant from the Trinity since they held no connection to the angels or demons, and so the pace of time grew much faster. A year within the human world would only equate to mere days in the two realms that kept closer ties. It was this incredibly short span of life that made the humans known as ‘mortal’ when compared to the extended lifespan in the other realms. Angels and demons could die, too, though certainly not as quickly. As generations of the mortal humans quickly passed, they did not entirely forget the greater powers that helped them, but when it came to deciding which side to support the humans were divided in opinion. Some were unwavering in their support to the angels, who were prosperous and good and considerate to all, while others argued that it was the immense power of the demons that saved them from annihilation, and should be rightly credited as such. So different sects of religion were formed, though the humans soon forgot the real details of their origins and the stories passed down became distorted.

Two beings of legend, of hell and of heaven,
To which humans could never compare
Became the mere creatures of fables and preachers
Though families still suffered their share

    The demons celebrated their newfound freedom, but anarchy soon swept over their realm. With no one to guide them, chaos and destruction ensued and so-called brethren turned to enemies in their greed. As centuries passed, authority and rule became a matter of brute strength, and the weaker demons suffered in poverty. A vast division between power and wealth emerged, and demons remained as unruly as ever as they were oppressed by a powerful league known as the Tyrants, lead by the Archfiend. This powerful group recruited only the most skilled demons—those with the most extraordinary of powers—to serve their every will and act as the Abyssal realm's strongest weapon. 

Brute strength unbounded, with laws yet unfounded,
A barren and desolate world
Unruly behaviour, with none as their saviour,
Great anarchy soon unfurled

    But the angels rejoiced in the restoration of peace, and their prosperous society remained intact. Known as the Ancients, a highly regarded group of angels aided the Head Archangel in keeping order within the Divine realm, as they were trusted for their guidance and governing. Although families were left devastated after the war, and grudges remained strong even centuries later, the greatest source of strength came from the birth of the Archangel's daughter—a cherub by the name of Haneul.

A soul of pure white, the Daughter of Light,
A glimmer of strength and hope,
Brought ease to the land that held out their hand
To embrace, to love, and to cope.

 

 

____
A prologue to set the stage; as much as I would like to jump into the characters already, I feel like I always end up rambling with my stories, so I was slightly more meticulous with planning this one out. You can expect less chapters this time around, but with more content in each one. Quality over quantity, right?