No Place Like Home?

The Boy With The Red Cloak V.2

  The dream Zitao has that night is a pleasant one. One about what they’d do for Sehun’s 19th birthday, and how the village will all gather around in the plaza with loud celebration. With Jongin's singing and dance, all the boys gatehring around and playing instruments. How Zitao, Sehun, and Jongin will travel down to the southern of their village to visit a beach nearby. They will bring a single paper lantern, a match, a quill and ink so at sunset, they could write their wishes on the hard parchment and carefully lighting the candle and not the paper. Sehun and Zitao will hold it in each other’s hands, controlled wind from Sehun helping the lantern lift high into the sky once they gently threw it up.

They’ll sit on the shore with their bodies huddled close together and their hands entwined, watching the light fade as it vanishes further into the sunset and over the sea. A wish for all to find happiness, love, and peace while still in each others lives.

“This place is HUUUUGEE!” Chanyeol’s voice screeches loudly, causing a ringing in Zitao's ears. Had forgotten about his imprisonment, groans  and shifts around, Imagines of His brother and him on the sunset beach slowly begun to disappear.

Zitao felt himself shift around and fluttering his eyes open to see himself being carried further in a very large cave. Most caves were rather rough and rugged but this one seemed all too smooth to be just a regular one. Zitao looks up at whoever was carrying him and felt his heart momentarily stop at the morning sight of Yifan. The sun from outside the cave gave a beautiful morning light that hit Yifan just perfectly; his skin glowed softly under the rays, making him look...angelic.

Zitao bites his lip and ponders if he could touch his cheek but quickly scowls at himself for such thoughts.

He begins to thrash his arms and legs around, hissing at the leader, "Put me down! Put me down!"

Yifan jerks at the sudden movement, glaring down at the hunter.

"Calm down, assassin.." Yifan says with unexpected softness. It makes Zitao stop for a moment but he puts his tied hands up on Yifan's chest and pushing himself off. He shrieks in pain when he lands on his knees, bringing his hands up just in time to catch himself from smashing face-first into the rock ground. He whines and lets his head fall, cringing at his throbbing side. He rolls over onto his back and grabs onto his waist, trying to kick any of the wolves that tried to help him up.

"Zitao, stop that! Your wounds will-" Kyungsoo begins but is intereupted by Zitao growling.

Chanyeol pushes Zitao's shirt up, causing Kyungsoo to scoffs, "Exactly." 

Zitao cries and looks down at the cut, staring at the broken stitches. Minseok shakes his head and pushes Yifan and the others away, lifting the hunter up and into another room. Luhan pulls a box up for Zitao to sit on before handing Minseok the same wooden box he used to stitch him up originally.

"You're lucky, Zitao. You're thigh wound did not reopen," Minseok comments as he gently presses his fingers against Zitao's thigh, "What were you thinking? Jumping off Yifan like that..."

Zitao's head falls back against the hard wall of the cave and he sighs, "I just...being around him makes me so angry. I'd rather not be touched by the guy as much as possible."

Luhan sits back on his and extends his legs out, watching as Minseok pulls out a needle, "Yifan is not a bad guy, you know. he takes very good care of us."

"yeah well if you haven't notice-" Zitao rearranges himself to try and shift the pain away from his side,"-I'm a ing prisoner; so my impression on the guy is A BIT-"

"You don't have to make him intentionally angry, though..." Minseok interrupts quietly, motioning for Zitao to take his shirt off. Once Zitao obeys, Minseok scoots between his legs and begins his work. Luhan twists a rag up and puts it to Zitao's mouth for him to bite on.
"I don't know why Yifan took you as a prisoner, but he always has good reason." Luhan smiles at Zitao and nods, "Maybe he likes you."

This causes Zitao to cough and cringe in pain, staring wide-eyed at Luhan. Minseok giggles and nods, "He would have killed you by now if he didn't."

Zitao decides he suddenly preferred Kyungsoo's silent company.

 

Zitao uses the wall to help him balance as he walks back out, watching the wolves all look for their own rooms,

“The downside to this place is no WINDOWS.” Luhan notes, “But it also means it’s gonna be warmer in the winter!” The other three coo excitedly over this fact and run around to find the spots that they’ll be resting at.

There seems to be three larges openings on the two sides of the cave and in the middle. The middle doorway leads to the rather large room  Zitao was tended to in while the others were simple medium rooms. Zitao had expected the boys to fight over who got the rooms to themselves but instead, decided on partners.

“Minseok and I call the room on the right.” Luhan announces happily while running into the dark room. “Ooh, you’re my partner then, Kyungsoo!” The owl-like boy let out a loud groan as the taller man runs left, “I’ll hang my furry hats here!” Chanyeol’s voice echoed from inside the room causing Kyungsoo to bellow loudly, “Not the ing hats!”

Zitao narrows his eyes, finding Luhan and Minseok giggling happily in their own room, opening their boxes with excitement and throwing blankets around. He leans against the hard doorway as best he could. “Where will I go?” The two boys face their attention to him and exchange looks between each other, “That depends on Yifan and wherever he wants you.”

“You’ll share my room,” Yifan says from behind Zitao. The hunter turns his head toward the leader and snorts. “ you! I’d rather sleep with !” Zitao spat out, putting his tied up hands on Yifan’s chest and pushing. He has to admit: he’s surprised how soft the man’s chest is...

No, no thoughts like that!

Yifan simply gives Zitao a small smirk then turns and heads to put his property in the large back room...and to where Zitao was probably going to spend most his time tied up.

“I told you he likes you, Taozi.” Minseok hums happily, going over to untie Zitaos hands. Zitao glares at him, “He LIKES me?!” “Usually he lets us kill trespassers. We never had a prisoner before!” Luhan says reassuringly.

Oh, well that makes me feel SO much better.

Zitao grumbles to himself while rubbing the red marks on his wrists. The plus side is that I’ll have easier access to Yifan...so I can slice the er’s throat.

The hunter found Yifan arranging things in the large room, settling down a large bed made of thick mattress and a few heavy blankets seeming to be made of wolf fur. Zitao is tempted to run and jump on it, rolling around and cuddling in the fur-like material. But he was able to restrain himself.

Yifan stops whatever he was doing and looks up at Zitao, who immediately drops his gaze shyly to the ground. He watches the hunter for a few moments with a small smile before returning back to making the soft bed.

Why the hell was I suddenly shy? I shouldn't have to feel flustered around anyone; ESPECIALLY not HIM.

Zitao turns his head toward the other side of the room. He’s surprised to see a bed almost as big as the one Yifan was working on, even with the same heavy blankets.

Is this seriously going to be my bed?

He observes the bed for a few more seconds before looking above it and seeing a hook-like shaped rock attached to the wall.

Yep.

Zitao glares at Yifan for a second but smiles when he turns around to see his red and golden sword leaning against the cave wall.

“I thought I wasn’t allowed to have my sword.”

“If you’ll notice, it’s just the scabbard,” Yifan responds gruffly, “It’s the part with the most protection against magic on it, so I suggest you keep it close by so I don’t kill you.”

Zitao wants to say something about how prisoners don’t usually have such nice and comfortable beds but he decides against it; he doesn’t want something so soft taken away because of his big mouth.

Yifan could just be trying to get close to me...maybe to find out secrets about my village! Still...Should I thank him or something? He does seem to be working hard...

He strolls over to the bed that Yifan is working on and looks down at the ground. “Duizhang, I...” Zitao begins quietly. Yifan looks up at him, his expression softening when the boy uses the nickname.

“Yifan, thank you.” The wolf leader glances over at the bed he had prepared but he doesn’t say anything as he looks back down and continues to work.

Or whatever.

Zitao huffs and sits on his very soft bed, watching as Yifan settles simple furniture and such around the rocky room. There are only things like workbenches, tables that display many weapons and chests with clothing. When he goes to set up a small rack near the tables, Zitao stands up and goes over to see the displayed weapons more clearly. He runs his fingers gently over the handsomely crafted weaponry, admiring the rough but admirable craftsmanship; many neat and messy, lots of bows, swords, axes, spears, daggers, more than most could name.

But Zitao had a passion for weapons. Not making them but using them, testing the material, weight, ability. Before the death of Jongdae's death, Zitao would often watch the two work at the forge, admiring their skill. The first sword Jongdae had ever made was the sword Zitao always carries around. The one that Zitao can see displayed with five other weapons; a long bow, a silver spear, an axe, another bow but this one had different markings, and dual daggers.

“Yifan-ge?”

Wait, what the did I just call him?

“Hmm?” He hums his response. He hadn’t noticed Zitao’s new nickname. “Did you make these weapons by hand?” Yifan looks over at him and the weapons." “Most are done by Chanyeol and I. Those five were specially craft by me for the pack.” Yifan says proudly, but not in a way of bragging.

“They’re beautiful. One of my close friends back at the village, Jongdae, works at his father's old forge. In fact, he is the one who made me this,” Zitao explaisn with a smiles happily, picking up his sword and balancing it with his right hand expertly. He stares at the blade, reminiscing back on the fond memory of when he first received the gift. Yifan watches him carefully, probably because Zitao now has his hand on his weapon. Zitao ntoices this and scoffs, "Don't worry, Duizhang. I'm not stupid enough to attack you when I'm obviously out numbered," Zitao reassures, glancing at his wound, "Not that I'm in a state to try, anyhow."

Yifan scoffs, "Couldn't you use your magic?"

Zitao shakes his head, "I don't have any."

"You don't?" Yifan narrows his eyes, "I thought all the humans born in the north and west had magic?"

Zitao gently sets his sword down and sighs, "I was born near the western mountains. I don't know why I don't have magic..."

"You don't find that strange?" Yifan wonders, turning his head to look at him briefly. Zitao stares at the weapons in thought, thinking back at how his village had reacted to his lack of magic abilities. Sehun and Jongdae had not been fazed but Baekhyun and Jongdae...they had found it strange for a while but eventually they had came around. All of them supported Zitao in his talents with the blade, marveling over how strong he physically is.e decides to change the subject away from his lack of abilities for the moment,

“I got the sword when I became of age at 16.”

 “How old are you now?”

Zitao notices the fact that Yifan doesn't seem to pry him further.

“I am 20 years of age. I’m the eldest of my two siblings.”

Yifan finishes putting up furry red curtains over the door way, each pulled back by thick string. Zitao thinks it made the room look rather pretty.

“You have siblings?” Yifan begins working on setting up torches on the wall.

“Yes, Sehun and Jongin. They aren't of my blood but I love them like my own. Joonmyun and Yixing adopted me, Jongin and Sehun came a year later.”

Yifan looks over at me oddly, “Why? Where are your parents?” Zitao looks away quickly as pain fills his dark eyes, “They were killed by wolves when I was 5.” There’s a new look in Yifan’s eyes; possible sympathy or perhaps regret.

“Oh...” This came from Yifan as a small whisper.

“But they weren’t...like you guys. They were dire-wolves; ones that hadn’t any human forms, I think. I didn't even know about wolves with human forms before you,” Zitao reassures him quickly. The sadness in Yifan’s eyes falters but isn't fully gone. Without another word, Yifan goes back to fixing the torch-holders, leaving Zitao in thought.

I wonder what his story  is. Is he an orphan? Is he a killer like Joonmyun described him to be?

Zitao isn’t able to think anymore because Luhan and Minseok rushes to the hunter’s side and pulls him toward the door way, careful of his wounds, “It’s dinnertime! Yifan, are you joining us?” Minseok asks sweetly. Yifan shakes his head slowly.

"No, go on without me. I have to finish this up," Yifan gives Zitao a tight smile and looks away back toward the wall. Minseok glances at Luhan but proceeds to drag him out to the main cave.

 

The dinner Kyungsoo had prepared was the same soup they had before they had left the wolf village, Which Zitao decides not to bother Kyungsoo about and just eat it. It was rather delicious...and much better than anything Joonmyun has ever tried to cook. The thought almost makes Zitao spit out his soup in laughter.

“It’s good right?” Chanyeol sighs in delight. Everyone hums in agreement, even Zitao. Kyungsoo looks up when he hears the hunter hum among the others and glares, “I thought you said it taste like .”

Zitao returns to dark look, "Kyungsoo, the next time someone impales you with a rock the size of a bread loaf and then proceeds to take you prisoner and try to feed you soup, tell me how it makes you feel.” Kyungsoo opens his mouth, nothing coming out for a moment. “I’m sorry, I...” Kyungsoo lets out a sigh and decides not to say anything else and just sips the soup.

“It really is delicious, Kyungsoo,” Zitao finally says, causing Kyungsoo to look up briefly and smile for the first time. It made the hunter feel a bit more comfortable, seeing the always-so-serious Kyungsoo with his bashful smile.

“You remind me of my brother, Kyungsoo.” They all look at Zitao quickly, “My brother, Jongin, often becomes embarrassed really easily. Like him, you have a pretty but shy smile.” Zitao laughs weakly when a blush arises on the wide-eyed boy’s cheeks.

“Ah, my best friends and brothers would like you guys, minus the whole kidnapping me thing,” Zitao says sadly, poking at the leftover meat in his wooden bowl. "You remind me of my best friend, Baekhyun," Zitao says to Chanyeol.

 “Who is Baekhyun?” he asks excitedly and Zitao pouts his lips in thought.

“He is my bestfriend...he is a very experienced hunter, more so than me,” Zitao explains, “He uses two daggers...because his aim .” The hunter wrinkles up his nose, remembering an incident in which Baekhyun had accidently shot an arrow into the thigh of Zitao instead of the apple beside him.

The more and more Zitao talks to the four boys the more and more they reminded him of home. Nostalgia swirls around in Zitao’s stomach and he has to excuse himself from the group early.

When he enters the shared room with Yifan, he squints and tries to get used to the darkness. He could see the outline of Yifan’s long, slender, and tall body on his bed. Zitao assumes he was asleep and just creeps to his own bed, taking off his leather pants and quickly snuggling into the comfort of the warm fur-blankets.  

Zitao thought back on the conversation with the group and how they asked questions about his family. He told them everything except the way his parents died; he didn’t want to damper their spirits. He didn’t know why he opened up to them so easily...

Perhaps because their company was so familiar to his family and friend’s; Chanyeol’s excitement and loud happiness or Minseok’s mischievous NATURE hidden behind an innocent smile. Even Luhan reminded Zitao of Sehun. How Luhan would try to act manly but then coos over something as simple as a little kitty or puppy; just like Sehun.

Even though he didn’t want to say it, Zitao would have to admit that he’s similar to Yifan as well. They were both rather stubborn and seem easily irritated; both seeming as if they’ve seen things in their life most people their age shouldn’t usually see.

He glances at the table full of weapons, biting his lip a bit.

Now could be my chance...I could cut his throat now and sneak away. It would give me a few hours head start before the other wolves would hunt me down.

Something inside him stirs at the thought of being hunter by those boys. Those boys shared their food with him, listened when Zitao talked about his family, village, giving them a few tips about martial arts.

Once again, he couldn't find himself to do it.

He couldn't kill their beloved leader.

He's beginning to think that escaping with Yifan alive...is probably his best chance of survival.

At this rate, he'll never become a martial artist instructor.

----------------------------------------------------------

I'm sick but I still want to write! Ahhh

Hoping for a quick recovery

For both Zitao and I

hahaha....