Chapter 2

Bloody Scars

“Hey loser,” A stack of papers descended in front of Kyungsoo’s face and Kyungsoo blanched. “Do my homework.” She took a seat in front of Kyungsoo who cowered behind his book. “I have a date with Baekhyun-oppa tonight so I need these done by tomorrow.”

“Hyeri-ssi…I –“

Her eyes darkened. “Do them. Or else.” She looked at her nails. “It’s okay loser. Noona will be nice and tell you that you don’t have to get all the answers right. The teachers might get suspicious. A 90 will do.”

“I –“

“Thanks loser.”

As she left, Kyungsoo bit his lip. He was struggling with his own grades in math already and he didn’t know how to do upperclassman level math. He should be irritated, angry even. Nothing? 

“Hi, do you mind if I sit here?”

“Huh?” He looked up to see the smiling face of Kim Suho? Suho gestured at the empty seats in the library.

“I don’t really feel like sitting alone but if you really don’t want to…”

“It’s fine, Suho-ssi,” Kyungsoo said hastily. “You can sit wherever you’d like.”

“That’s kind of you,” Suho smiled. His eyes widened with interest. “Is that our class’s homework?”

Kyungsoo looked at Hyeri’s homework. “Uh…I –“

“You overachiever huh?” Suho laughed. “Do you need any help? I’m alright with math, I think.”

“Um…yeah…could you help me?”

 

 

 

 

“Hey loser,” Baekhyun grinned when he came home to see his fiancé hunched over the kitchen table, bundled up in a giant red sweater. “Whatcha doin’?”

“Homework.” He looked at Baekhyun and sniffed. “You stink.” His voice sounded strange. Maybe he was tired.

“Booze and girls, loser, try getting some.”

“You’re disgusting and I hate you.”

Baekhyun stuck his tongue out and looked at the clock. It was 2 AM in the morning. He frowned. “You’re seriously still doing homework?”

Kyungsoo shrugged but Baekhyun could see how tense he suddenly became. “Math is hard.” He looked up and cracked a tired little smile at Baekhyun, pulling his knees to his chest, arms coming around to hug himself. “Also someone had to stay up in case you were too smashed to let yourself in the house.”

“…oh.” That hadn’t occurred to Baekhyun. That maybe Kyungsoo stayed up to make sure he was okay when he came home too late. He squirmed, uncomfortable. “I’m going to bed.”

Kyungsoo hummed but remained curled in his chair, staring at his homework.

Baekhyun went to bed, still feeling unsettled.

 

 

 

The next morning, Baekhyun woke up to an empty house, Kyungsoo having left for school before Baekhyun even woke up.

 

 

 

 

“Do you even like Hyeri-noona?” Kai asked the next morning when Baekhyun walked into class the next morning. Hyeri had come up to grab Baekhyun’s arm this morning and Baekhyun had callously shaken her off, leaving her gaping at him as he walked away.

“Mmm…not particularly, no.” Baekhyun wrinkled his nose. “Too clingy. And too much perfume.” Kai threw his head back and laughed.

“You’re cold, hyung.” Baekhyun shrugged.

He chanced a look over at Kyungsoo, who was curled up in his seat like he’d been last night. It sort of threw off Baekhyun’s schedule that they hadn’t fought this morning but Kyungsoo was weird like that sometimes. Not that Kyungsoo really mattered in the scheme of Baekhyun’s day.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo was about to make his way to the library when someone patted him on the shoulder.

“Suho-ssi!” Suho wrinkled his nose.

“Hyung is fine.” He smiled when Kyungsoo nodded. “Sorry we didn't get to all of the problems before I had to go. Did you finish your homework okay?” Kyungsoo’s smile faltered a bit before he pulled it back up.

“Yup. All fine. Thanks for your help Suho-ss – hyung.”

“Would you like to sit with me at lunch today?” Suho asked and Kyungsoo blanched. With the EXO-K boys?

“N-No I don’t think that –“

“Think of it as a thank you for letting me sit next to you yesterday,” Suho said cajolingly. “Don’t make hyung sad, Kyungsoo-yah.”

Kyungsoo deflated. “I…okay then.”

 

 

 

“Who’s that with Suho-hyung?” Sehun asked. Baekhyun turned to look.

What. The. .

“Who knows?” he said as nonchalantly as he could. But inside, he was raging. How did Suho-hyung even know Kyungsoo? Kyungsoo didn’t even have friends at school as far as he knew.

“Hey guys! Can my friend sit with us today?” Suho asked when he approached the table. Without waiting for an answer, he gestured for Kyungsoo to sit.

Kyungsoo stayed standing. “If I’m intruding –“

“Just sit,” Suho chastised. “You said you would.”

Reluctantly, Kyungsoo slid into the seat. It just so happened to be opposite Baekhyun.

Kyungsoo resolutely kept his eyes away from Baekhyun and it irked him. Well yeah they gave each other the cold shoulder at school but if they were sitting right in front of each other anyways…

“Hey.” Kyungsoo’s brow furrowed but he didn’t look at Baekhyun.

“Hi.”

“I’m Byun Baekhyun. Nice too meet you!”

Kyungsoo looked up. A familiar little twitch appeared between Kyungsoo’s eyebrows and Baekhyun grinned, glad that he’d gotten some sort of reaction. “I know.”

“So who are you?” Baekhyun asked, eyes wide in a picture of innocence.

“Do Kyungsoo. Nice. To meet you. Too.”

“We should be new best friends Kyungsoo-yah.”

At this Kyungsoo gave no reply and Baekhyun frowned but let it go.

As the rest of the EXO-K members came and sat down at their table, Suho introduced them to Kyungsoo who would give small little head nods at each of them and then fall silent again.

It was so unlike the fiery little Kyungsoo Baekhyun saw at home that it was a little disconcerting.

“Do you want to hang out with us after school Kyungsoo? Tonight’s our weekly karaoke night,” Chanyeol asked. Baekhyun looked at Kyungsoo to see his reaction. Kyungsoo loved singing. He was always singing at the house, while he was showering or doing chores. And he was pretty good, Baekhyun knew.

Kyungsoo shook his head. “Nah. I can’t on Thursdays. I have something after school.”

“What do you do?” Suho asked and Kyungsoo cracked a small little apologetic smile.

“Nothing you would be interested in.” His arms had come to wrap around himself again. 

“Hyung, hyung, tell us?” Sehun whined.

“It's just.....volunteer stuff," Kyungsoo said slowly. "It’s boring. You wouldn’t like it." He cocked his head at Sehun, the smile seeming a little wooden. “Trust me.”

It never occurred to Baekhyun to think about what Kyungsoo did while Baekhyun was out. Did he do chores? Baekhyun certainly never did any. Kyungsoo took care of their laundry, left dinner out for Baekhyun, and even did all the cleaning. But was that all Kyungsoo did?

 

 

 

 

Curiosity killed the cat. But Baekhyun liked to think he was made of tougher stuff than cats.

Kyungsoo was taking the bus. After telling his friends that he had something to do after school today so he might not make it to karaoke, Baekhyun was free to follow Kyungsoo’s bus in his car without any questions or distractions. 

When Kyungsoo’s bus dropped him off, Baekhyun pulled to the side and watched as Kyungsoo entered the parking lot of a small building. He got out of the car and followed.

“Park Therapy?” he read off the sign and looked over at Kyungsoo who had jumped at the sound of his voice and turned around. “Do you help people with therapy on Thursdays?”

Kyungsoo had turned white as a sheet, eyes wide. Baekhyun walked towards him and Kyungsoo backed up a few feet.

“You…okay?” Baekhyun asked awkwardly. Kyungsoo was so tense he almost seemed to vibrate in place.

“You –“ Kyungsoo choked out. “How –“

Baekhyun shrugged. “I wanted to know what you were doing so I followed you.” He narrowed his eyes at Kyungsoo. “What’s wrong? Why are you acting so weirdly?”

Kyungsoo had wrapped his arms around himself again. “I-I’m –“

“You don't like being a volunteer here or something? Are you embarrased?” Therapy was a nice thing right? Helping people out with their problems and all? What was Kyungsoo so nervous about?

“I-I’m not –“

“Kyungsoo-ssi!” Kyungsoo jumped. A smiling woman had come to join them. “Hurry and get inside! We’re going to start soon and you shouldn’t miss out!” She looked at Baekhyun. “Did you bring a friend?” she asked, smiling. “That’s good Kyungsoo-ssi! Are you here to join our group therapy?” Her smile turned sympathetic. “We’re here to help you if you need us.”

Baekhyun glanced at Kyungsoo but Kyungsoo was looking at the ground, chewing at his lip.

“I’m just here to give Kyungsoo support,” Baekhyun said smoothly. “I’m his fiancé.” Kyungsoo glanced at him sharply and then looked away again. 

“That’s good,” the woman said happily. “Support is always a good thing for victims. I’m glad Kyungsoo-ssi has you….” she trailed off.

“Baekhyun,” he said, smiling. “Byun Baekhyun.”

“Baekhyun-ssi,” she acknowledged. “I’m Park Minji. Nice to meet you! Come in, come in!”

“Let’s go, Kyungsoo-yah,” Baekhyun said cheerfully, grabbing Kyungsoo’s wrist. Park Minji smiled and walked inside. “You don't volunteer here, do you?" Baekhyun asked quietly. Kyungsoo stayed silent. "So….what’s going on?” Kyungsoo was practically trembling in his grip and he wouldn’t look at Baekhyun. Baekhyun frowned. “I’m going to find out anyways so you might as well just tell me.”

Kyungsoo shook his head. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and started to lead Kyungsoo into the building. Kyungsoo let himself be dragged inside but he hadn’t stopped shaking.

Once inside the building, Kyungsoo took the lead and led Baekhyun into one of the rooms. Chairs had been set up in a circle and many of the chairs were already taken by other people of all ages, young and old.

Kyungsoo took a seat and Baekhyun took the one next to him. Kyungsoo still seemed to be shaking every so often. Baekhyun took his hand and tried to rub calming circles into Kyungsoo’s wrist. It was weird for Kyungsoo to be so nervous and scared and it was starting to scare Baekhyun.

“You shouldn’t have come,” Kyungsoo murmured, still not looking at Baekhyun.

Baekhyun stared. “Why –“

“Let’s get started with our group therapy today!” Park Minji announced enthusiastically and Baekhyun settled into his seat, wondering what this was all about.

 

 

 

A/N:  lmao honestly this is probably one of the longest updates i have ever written but it's not even that long orz. i am a terrible updater orz. anyways, the baeksoo fun will start next chapter so pls anticipate? maybe? i hope you liked this update haha thank you for all the subscribers and upvotes and especially comments i love comments :D