Chapter 4

Bloody Scars

The next day Kyungsoo wasn’t sure what to expect, but it definitely wasn’t Baekhyun sitting at their kitchen table, nursing a cup of coffee.

“Hey,” Baekhyun said and Kyungsoo waited for a remark, any remark that would set his blood boiling but Baekhyun did nothing of the sort. Instead, he looked up at Kyungsoo and grinned. “Make me breakfast, honey~”

Incredulity and surprise flooded through his body and Kyungsoo blinked. “Breakfast?” He frowned. “If I make you breakfast, I’m going to miss the bus.” He narrowed his eyes at Baekhyun. “And since when did you even want to eat my cooking? You always tell me I’m not a good cook.”

Baekhyun grimaced, then stuck his tongue out cheekily. “But I always eat it,” he grinned and Kyungsoo sighed. “Come on, I’ll take you to school today so don’t worry about the bus.”

“…you’ll take me to school?”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “Um…yeah, in my car.” He pushed at Kyungsoo’s back. “Now goooo, I’m hungry.”

Something that felt like fondness was creeping up on Kyungsoo but Kyungsoo couldn’t even remember the last time he’d felt fond of something. He grasped onto the feeling of something hot and warm bubbling up through his chest, willing it not to slip away.

“Fine.” Kyungsoo stood up and made his way to the kitchen, firing up the stove. The pan was just hot enough to begin cooking when Kyungsoo felt a chin dig into his right shoulder.

“What are you making?” Kyungsoo felt irritation flood through him and reveled in the familiar feeling.

“Food.” He could almost see the pout that was forming on Baekhyun’s lips but Baekhyun steadfastly remained stuck to his back like a parasite.

“What kind of food?”

“Breakfast. Get me eggs from the fridge.” The warm presence left for a second but as soon as Baekhyun placed the eggs on the counter, he reattached himself to Kyungsoo’s back. Kyungsoo ignored him as best he could, cracking the eggs into the pan. Every now and then, Kyungsoo would ask for more ingredients, which Baekhyun would bring him and then it was back to Baekhyun parasitism.

Baekhyun only detached himself once the omelette was done and Kyungsoo had served it on a plate. Baekhyun dug in with relish and Kyungsoo watched him with amusement as Baekhyun scarfed down the food.

“You hate my cooking, huh?” remarked Kyungsoo. “Or do you just eat anything you put in your mouth?”

Baekhyun grinned at him, teeth full of egg, and Kyungsoo grimaced. “Your cooking’s decent,” he said.

“You’re disgusting.” Baekhyun only showed him a mouth full of egg before digging in again.

Once they were done, Baekhyun placed both his and Kyungsoo’s plate in the sink. “Time for school, let’s go.”

Kyungsoo followed Baekhyun out to Baekhyun’s car. Yesterday had been one of only a few times he had ever ridden in Baekhyun’s car. His car was his baby and he usually said he didn’t want Kyungsoo “dirtying it.”

“Get in the car, lo – Kyungsoo, “ Baekhyun coughed.

Kyungsoo almost wished Baekhyun had called him a loser. It would be something closer to normal rather than Baekhyun being weirdly kind to him.

He slid into the car uncertainly and Baekhyun started up the engine. “Ready?” he asked Kyungsoo who nodded although he wasn’t sure what he was supposed to be ready for.

Baekhyun backed out of their driveway.

 

 

When Baekhyun pulled into their school parking lot, Kyungsoo shrunk down in his seat to avoid any fan girls seeing him in Baekhyun’s car. He had lived a life of anonymity till now and he didn’t want to give that up.

Baekhyun laughed when he saw. “You need to start toughening up Kyungsoo. Suho’s already hell-bent on making you sit with us anyways.” He laughed harder when Kyungsoo’s face furrowed in distaste.

“But I don’t want to sit with you guys. Especially you, you’re gross,” Kyungsoo pouted. This was somewhat familiar ground. Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

When they finally pulled into a parking space, Baekhyun made to get out of the car but Kyungsoo yanked him back down. Baekhyun stared at his fiancé with wide eyes.

“What?”

“You…” Kyungsoo started. “You don’t have to be so nice to me. Yesterday…” he trailed off and Baekhyun looked at the ground. “What happened yesterday doesn’t have to affect today, or the future,” Kyungsoo recovered quickly. “Just forget yesterday even happened. Let’s just go back to normal? This is weird.”

Baekhyun paused for a moment and Kyungsoo bit his lip uncertainly, wondering if Baekhyun would refuse. He wouldn’t, would he? He must feel as uncomfortable as Kyungsoo felt.

“No,” Baekhyun said eventually and Kyungsoo’s eyes widened.

“W-What?”

“No,” Baekhyun said again, this time more firmly. “I said we’d fix you and we will. And you…us having a good relationship will be the first step.” He took Kyungsoo’s hand and squeezed. “So just…get used to it.” When Kyungsoo didn’t reply, his hand limp in Baekhyun’s hand, Baekhyun sighed. “How do I help you Kyungsoo? You’ve been cutting all this time and I never knew and I just feel like such an right now, I –“

“Stop,” Kyungsoo’s voice was soft but it stopped Baekhyun right in his tracks. Kyungsoo retracted his hand from Baekhyun’s and wrapped his arms around himself again. Baekhyun was beginning to hate that pose. “You – you help enough already.”

Baekhyun ran a hand through his hair frustratedly. “I know I’m partly to blame even if you say I’m not because I’m always such an to you but frankly, you’re an to me too so–“


“That’s not what I meant,” Kyungsoo said, cutting him off again. “You –“ Kyungsoo closed his eyes and let out a frustrated sigh although Baekhyun should be the one getting frustrated since Kyungsoo wasn't making any sense at all. “You genuinely help me stop cutting.” Baekhyun blinked at him in ill-concealed disbelief. “I…I’d probably be dead now if it wasn’t for you.”

Baekhyun let out a hollow laugh. “Because you wouldn’t want me to have to dispose of your body?” The image he’d had yesterday of Kyungsoo’s limp body reappeared and he shook it away impatiently.

Kyungsoo smiled a small, ironic little smile. “Did I ever tell you why I cut myself?”

Baekhyun thought a bit. “No,” he realized. “Aren’t you…depressed or something?” he asked cautiously. Or so he had assumed.

Kyungsoo shook his head. “Not exactly.” He paused for a moment as if thinking of how to say it. “I do it because it hurts.” Kyungsoo winced the minute the words came out of his mouth.

What? “It…hurts…so you do it. Are you a masochist?”

Kyungsoo shook his head again. “It’s ­– it’s complicated. I just –“ he sighed. “Like I can’t – feel? – anything anymore. I don’t get angry or sad or happy or anything but when I cut, I can feel pain? When I don’t cut, I can’t feel anything and it makes me feel so…dead – and I can’t handle that.” Kyungsoo hangs his head. “It doesn’t make sense to you probably but it makes sense to me, I don’t know.”

Baekhyun blinked, trying to process it. “But – but you feel emotions. We fight all the time! And you get mad and irritated and annoyed at me ­–“

Kyungsoo sighed. “That’s the point, Baekhyun.” He turned large doe eyes at Baekhyun. “I get mad at you. And only you.” He looked away and curled into himself on the seat. “It’s why I need you Baekhyun.” He looked at Baekhyun again and Baekhyun felt like he was drowning in Kyungsoo’s dark, dark eyes.

“You’re the only one that makes me feel alive.”

------

A/N: Unedited and written mostly today but I hope you like it anyways~ To be honest, I hadn't planned on updating for a while since I'm busy with college apps and I thought I'd stay on hiatus until I finished at least most of them and if I did update, I'd update Hell's Court since its last update was earlier than any other of my stories but this one got more subscribers since last time and I just wow

So, enjoy~ And leave me a comment, please, please, please, please???