The Guy Next Door

The Guy Next Door

(Request from anon)

Note to self, never let your friends come to karaoke unless they plan on doing Gee.  You fall off the couch, laughing at your friends singing Gee while failing miserably at the choreography.  Not only was their singing off, but so was everything else.  One of your friends stepped on her own foot, while another slapped someone in the face with her ponytail.  Your best friend was front and center singing at the top of her lungs, after totally giving up on the dance moves.  

You don’t remember the last time you laughed so hard.  You squeeze your abs trying to relieve the stinging pain that resulted.  Even when you thought you got the giggles under control, one look at the 5 girls and you were once again struggling to breath.  You were almost sorry when the song ended and repressed the urge to scream, “Again.  Again,” like a three year old.

“Guys, that was the funniest thing I have ever seen.  I wish I had my camera,” you say, trying to catch your breath.

“I don’t know about you all, but I think I need a little break.  Wait, what’s our score?”

Everyone looked at the screen, as the drumroll played over the speakers.  And the result is…

“65?  You have got to be kidding me.”  A mixture of laughter and groans went around the room.  You, of course, are laughing.

“I can’t believe my monotone Ring Ding Dong beat that,” you call out.  You were actually a little impressed when you received a 74 on that.

“Well, now I definitely need a break.”  Everyone sits down on the couch, gulping down their cold drinks.  

Every head shoots up as voices start coming from the next room.

“It’s them,” someone whispers.

“Just like clockwork,” says another.

You and your friends came to karaoke every Friday night and went to room 104.  Every week, without fail, 30 minutes after you arrived, the same group of guys were in the room right next to yours.  It was creepy.  Well, except for the fact that they all seemed to be super hot.  Well, seemed to be.  You only ever saw them through the blurred glass that separated the rooms.  You never saw their faces clearly.

Everyone glances at each other, not saying a word.  It was always a game with you all to see if someone had the guts to go over there and act like they forgot their phone or something crazy like that.  Everyone shook their heads slightly, as if saying, “I’m not going” or “No way.”

“Who wants to go next?”  you say out loud, startling a couple of your friends.  “I dare someone to do Wolf with me.”

About an hour later after more laughter and a particularly disturbing Change performance, you find yourself squeezing your legs together.

“I’ll be right back guys,” you say before you step out of the room. 

After washing your hands and checking your face, you head back to the room.  With your hand on the handle, the door to the next room opens.  Your hand freezes, as you glance to the side.

It was Xiumin.  Like Exo’x Xiumin.  Like Exo’s Kim Minseok, your ultimate heartthrob.

The fangirl inside you screams and jumps around and faints, while your exterior stays frozen.  Xiumin looks up at you and smiles.

“Hi,” he says, brightly.  He bows his head, politely.

“H-Hi,” you manage, bowing a little lower.  You felt like your heart was going to explode

“I’m hope we’re not disturbing you all, are we?”  He motions to the door.

“Oh?  N-No.  Not at all, in fact I can’t even hear you guys over my friends.  I hope we’re not being too loud.”  You felt your body start to shake a bit.  You were actually talking to Xiumin.  THE Xiumin!

“No,” he replies, chuckling.  “Nothing like that at all.  Are you the same group that comes to this room every Friday night?”

Your throat tighten.  He actually noticed that?  You nod.

“That’s what I thought.  We always come here at the same time every week and you all are always here.”

“Yeah.  It’s the only night we can all get together.”  You finally pry your hand away from the handle on the door and turn toward him slightly.

“That’s cool.  Who was it that did Wolf a little while ago?”

“Oh.  You heard that?  It was me and my best friend.”  You felt yourself blush.  You had butchered that song.  Well how was I supposed to know that Xiumin was next door?

“We think it’s really cool when we hear our own songs.  It’s a kind of surreal feeling.”

We?

“Hey Xiumin, what’s taking so long?”  The door opens again and out comes Luhan.

Okay, now your mind was completely blown.  You felt your heart erupt in your chest.

“Sorry, just ran into one of the girls from the next room.”

“Oh, so you are the same girls that come every week?”  You nod, unable to do anything that required more brain power.

“Cool, maybe sometime we can just get a bigger room and hang out together since we’re always here at the same time anyway?”  Luhan offered.

“Yeah that sounds like fun.  You guys up for it?”  Xiumin agrees.  They both look at you.

“Yeah, sure.  That sounds great.”  Where your voice came from, you don’t know.

“Great.  See you next week then.”  Xiumin nods his head as he passes you.  Luhan turns and goes back in the room, leaving you standing on shaky legs, trying to sort through what just happened.

You go back into the room, walking in on a chorus of Smoky Girl.  After reaching the couch, your legs give out and you smile.  Next Friday was going to be epic.