.7.

The Sweetest Smiles Hold the Darkest Secrets

Baekhyun ran through the hallways, skidding around corners, a piece of toast in his mouth as he shrugged into his jacket. He was late – very late – for his lessons with Mr. Shin. After the first few times this had happened, Mr. Shin had spent an hour lecturing him about the negative effects of tardiness. Then he’d threatened to re-do all his lessons about dining etiquette if Baekhyun was late again, and that was something Baekhyun did not at all want to sit through.

It was as he was rounding a corner that he nearly collided with his tall, thin cousin Jongin, who was laughing and joking with a sandy-haired boy Baekhyun had never seen before.

“Watch where you’re going, hyung,” Jongin told him with a little laugh.

His sandy-haired friend gave Baekhyun a quizzical look. “Ah, so you must be the new heir that’s got the house in a frenzy.”

Baekhyun blushed, but wiped his sweaty palm on his slacks and held it out for the boy to shake. “Ah, yes. That would be me. Byun Baekhyun.”

“Byun?” the boy repeated with a quirked eyebrow, shaking his hand. “Not Kim?”

Byun,” Baekhyun repeated firmly. “And you are?”

“I’m Oh Sehun,” the boy introduced himself. “I’ve been friends with this since we were kids.”

Jongin immediately but the boy in a headlock. “Hey, don’t be calling me an ! You’re the here!”

The boy laughed even with his head stuck under his friend’s arm. “Says the .”

Baekhyun was rather surprised. The two of them were acting much the same as his friends had acted back in the village, back before his life had been turned topsy-turvy. In fact, at the moment, Jongin looked nothing like the spoiled brat Baekhyun had first taken him for. He looked like a normal guy.

“We’re heading off to shoot some hoops at the park,” Sehun said, his head still wedged under Jongin’s armpits. “Want to come? I’m curious about you.”

“He can’t,” Jongin interrupted smoothly, finally releasing Sehun. “He’s got to study with Mr. Shin.” The twinkle in his eye told Baekhyun that Jongin knew exactly what it was like studying with Mr. Shin.

“Ooh, man. That ,” Sehun laughed. “Good luck with that. I wouldn’t wish Mr. Shin on my worst enemy.”

They turned to walk away, but Baekhyun was seized with a sudden urge. “Jongin,” he called, encouraged by his cousin’s friendly demeanor. “Is it true that Minseok’s mother committed suicide?”

Jongin stopped and looked at him, and Sehun’s eyebrows rose so high that they nearly disappeared into his hairline.

Baekhyun worried immediately that he had overstepped his boundaries. “I-I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be rude. I just…I heard about his mother and I didn’t know if it was true and-”

“Word of advice,” Jongin said, and the corner of his mouth twitched like he was trying not to smile. “I certainly wouldn’t bring that up around Minseok. Not if you value that pretty face of yours.”

Baekhyun gulped. “I’ll, uh, keep that in mind. Thanks.”

“You know, Minseok’s mother isn’t the first in this family to die mysteriously,” Sehun called over his shoulder before the two disappeared around the corner. “You really don’t know what you’re getting yourself into, do you, Mr. Byun?” And then they were gone.

As soon as his lessons with Mr. Shin were over, Baekhyun went in search of Junmyeon. He knew that Yixing wouldn’t tell him anything – he wasn’t even sure if Yixing knew anything more than what he’d already told Baekhyun – but Junmyeon would certainly know more. He was a part of this messed up family as well.

He found Junmyeon sitting in his favorite spot in the garden, shaded by a tall, leafy tree, a thick book open on his knees. He smiled and waved when Baekhyun trotted over, loosening his tie as he came.

“Hey, what’s-” Junmyeon began, but Baekhyun cut him off.

“Is it true that Minseok’s mother committed suicide?” he demanded, flopping down in the grass beside his cousin.

Junmyeon looked distinctly uncomfortable at the sudden and unexpected turn of the conversation. “That’s not really my place to talk about…”

“Bull,” Baekhyun said. “I found out from Yixing. Minseok’s mother committed suicide and Minseok is the one that found her body, right?”

Junmyeon sighed. “Yeah. He’s had it rough, let me tell you.”

“So what about the other mysterious deaths in the family?” Baekhyun pressed.

Junmyeon’s gaze narrowed suspiciously. “Other mysterious deaths? Did Yixing tell you that, as well?”

“No, he wouldn’t tell me anything,” Baekhyun admitted. “I heard about it from Jongin’s friend Sehun.”

“I wouldn’t believe anything Sehun tells you,” Junmyeon said with a forced little chuckle. “He’s got a flair for the dramatic, that one.”

“Hyung,” Baekhyun said sternly. “I know that there is something going on that nobody is telling me about. Why won’t anyone answer my questions about this?”

“Because we’re not allowed to!” Junmyeon burst out, frustrated.

This caught Baekhyun off guard. “Not allowed to?” he repeated. “Says who?”

Junmyeon gave him a dark look, like he’d already said more than he was supposed to. “Look, if you’re really interested, you can find what you’re looking for in the library. There’s a family history there, if you can find it. But I can’t say anything else about it, Baekhyun. Please quit asking me.” And he gathered his book and stalked back into the house, leaving Baekhyun with his puzzling thoughts. 


So, finally, the introduction of Sehun as Jongin's sassy best friend :)

And the mystery of the Kim family gets more curious!