Spoons

My Wife Is Straight

here you go~! I apologize it wasn't on the usual Monday today, I was too busy that day to do so. Also thank you all soo so much for 100 subs (again? haha) I didn't imagine to get nearly this much with so little chapters!


The park wasn’t too busy, with the usual joggers and dog-walkers. The quintet almost seemed like an unusual sight in the setting, a bigger group than the normal.


 “What would you like to do?” Tiffany asked when they had gone a few feet on the sidewalk, Taeyeon and her were in the lead, with the others behind them. 

 

  “Play a game? That seems fun,” Taeyeon pondered from her spot, a childish smile decorating her face. 

 

  “But we are adults remember, what games are we going to play?” Sunny questioned it accordingly, her mind thinking of various things. 

 

  “We could play catch, horse shoe, card games, anything,” Sooyoung replied, going through the first games that came to mind. 

 

  “I would suggest tag but that would make us look like fools,” Taeyeon added, her expression now more serious with finding a game. 

 

  “How about spoons? I’d beat you all so easily,” Hyoyeon said, laughing lightly to herself at the image of their faces when she won. 

 

  Sunny nudged her friend playfully, “You can’t beat my sister at Monopoly! Like you’d be able to beat all of us at spoons!” 

 

  “You doubt my skills?” Hyoyeon mocked disappointingly, shaking her head. Apparently her words had caught the leaders’ interest, as they both had their heads turned to look at her in curiosity. 

 

  “Spoons? That’s not too bad of an idea,” Tiffany commented and her shorter friend nodded, agreeing. “The loser has to do a full lap about this park,” the two exchanged devious smiles and Sooyoung vowed never to be in the same room as those two together. 

 

   “Running? I hate running, especially in such a big place at this.” Sunny whined, her voice rising and her head resting a bit upward in annoyance. “Don’t you know that this park is three miles around? I’ve walked it a couple times, and I’m not going to do again today.” 

 

  Hyoyeon set a hand on her friend’s shoulder in condolence, “It’s okay, we’ll be watching you the whole time, so you won’t be alone.” 

 

  Sunny shook off the hand, “You act like I’m going to be the one that’s gonna be running around, it could be you too.” She poked Hyoyeon’s stomach at the ‘you’, a teasing expression on her face. 

 

  “Like I wouldn’t be able to win? You’ll see,” Hyoyeon laughed lightly and turned to Sooyoung, who had been surprisingly silent. “I’d like to see you running around this park, you’d look like a lost giraffe or something.” 

 

  “We still don’t know who’s going to lose yet, it could be Tiffany for all we know.” Sooyoung responded as they kept walking, stopping when a small group of pavilions were at the left side. 

 

  “Come on guys, you may not know me that well, but I’m a boss at card games, seriously.” Tiffany remarked as they headed toward the closest one, and Taeyeon nodded again from her friend’s side. 

 

  “She really is, she beat my brother at War after three hours. We all thought the game would never end! She’s also really good at poker, which you could say was a good thing since we live in Vegas,” Taeyeon added more into that background, and the group entered the pavilion, sitting with three on one side and two on the other. 

 

  “Okay, we’ve decided on a game, now who has the cards?” Sooyoung asked, looking at the faces of each of them with a questionable expression. They all shook their heads until one hit the brown decorated satchel on her side, remembering something. 

 

  “I do! I always keep a deck in my purse, just for times like this,” Tiffany jubilantly brought everyone’s hopes up and dug her hand into the bag, out coming a perfectly good deck of cards. 

 

  Sooyoung shook her head, “Of course you would, what else would I expect?” She said jokingly and turned to glance at the people to the right of her. Both of them were interested in Tiffany, probably wondering why the brunette would always have a spare deck of cards in her purse. 

 

  “Exactly, Soo, you wouldn’t expect anything else,” Tiffany giggled and started to shuffle the deck in her hands, attempting to separate them from each other well. 

  “I guess I should introduce myself,” Taeyeon shyly began from her seat next to Tiffany. She kept her eyes on the table in front of her as she spoke, “My full name’s Kim Taeyeon, I was born in Jeonju back home in South Korea, but moving to California when I was six. I became best friends with Tiffany when I was ten and had just changed schools, as you can see we’ve been friends ever since. I even followed her to Las Vegas when she wanted to pursue her career as a vocalist, that’s what friends are for!” She paused as Tiffany let out a snort of amusement while distributing the cards to the players, continuing after swapping looks with her. “I have two siblings, one older and one younger, my older brother still lives in Korea with his family. My niece and nephew are so adorable!” 

 

  “I know right? I love Joon’s new hair, it really shows off his dimples,” Tiffany cooed also, one of her hands going after something in her bag, probably to grab her phone, Sooyoung had guessed. 

 

  “Did you know Jiae’s 100 days are coming up?” It appeared that Taeyeon was distracted by the talk of her brother’s children and completely forgot about the introduction part. But fortunately in Tiffany’s sake, she had already gotten out her own hand phone to show the others. She held out the phone in the middle of the wooden table, a picture of two kids depicted on the screen. One of them was the older boy, probably about three or four, she guessed; in a green shirt with a white check mark on it.  His smile was obviously forced, because the rest of his expression was almost yelling that he was irritated at having to take a picture. The other, a much younger infant, was wearing a pink shirt that had “Mommy’s Princess” decorated on it, her face bright and laughing, as if she was watching something funny on television. 

 

  “How cute! The little boy seems like a troublemaker though,” Sunny commented, noting about  the same things that Sooyoung had noticed. 

 

  The aunt nodded and chuckled, “He really is, I had to babysit him for a full day before this summer. He’s adorable and sweet, but also bossy and forceful at the same time, like some little chocolate snack that’s too sweet that you can’t have much of it.” 

 

  “Hey grandmas! It’s time to play,” Tiffany interrupted the discussion and gestured her hands out at the cards laid out in front of everybody and the four plastic spoons in the middle of the table. When did those get there? 

 

  “Oh yeah,” Sunny was reminded of the game and they all picked up their hands. Sooyoung wanted to sigh at her cards, they were all out and none from the beginning were giving her hope. But she knew that could turn around. 

 

  “Are we doing the S-P-O-O-N-S thing? You know, where every time you lose it starts to spell out the word? I’d like that rather than one game,” Hyoyeon stated, thankfully before the first person started the fast-paced game. 

 

  “Sure, if that’s what you would want. Tiffany, do you have a piece of paper in your bag?” Taeyeon queried, turning to look at her friend while putting her phone back. 

 

  “Yup, here it is!” Sooyoung didn’t expect anything less, it was now clear to her what kind of girl Tiffany was; and that was odd. 

 

  “Are you all ready? Warning: I’m super good at this game, so prepare for flying fast cards going by and a spoon missing without your knowledge, because I’m like a ninja!” Tiffany threatened childishly and the others laughed or scoffed off at the comment, though they all nodded in agreement that they were ready to play. The bright brunette also nodded and started the game.  

 

 

 

The games went by much quicker than Sooyoung had honestly expected, and it had been 2PM before she knew it. Surprisingly enough, nobody had spelled out the full spoons, the closest being Hyoyeon and Sunny who had S-P-O-O-N and Taeyeon who had S-P-O-O. By around 1PM Sooyoung and Sunny were complaining of hunger, but the game had been too intriguing that their stomaches also got distracted. 

 

  But by 2PM, more complaints started again. “Okay, I think it’s about time we take a break to eat lunch, I’m starving!” Tiffany whined as she shuffled the cards for practically the twentieth time that day, her voice raising. 

 

  “I agree, we’ve been playing this for too long without breaks. I say we take a forty-five minute break,” Hyoyeon added from across the dealer, taking looks across the faces of the others. 

 

  “I also think we need to stretch and eat, I swear I’ve seen that jogger in the magenta shirt three times, and he goes all around the park!” Taeyeon acclaimed, standing up and getting out of her seat. She stretched her arms above her head and twisted her body, all the while yawning. 

 

  “It seems this is unanimous, what do you guys want for lunch?” Tiffany, who was seemingly taking control of the day; said when she noticed that everybody was doing something similar to what Taeyeon had done. 

 

  “I’m in the mood for some pizza, I don’t know about them.” Sooyoung replied casually from her stretching position, when something suddenly came to mind. Jessica didn’t call! She stopped extending her limbs and pulled out her cell phone, directly heading toward her wife’s contact. 

 

  “What’re you doing?” Sunny’s voice shocked her and she looked up from the screen to see her friend. 

 

  “I need to call Jessica, I told her to call at noon but she must’ve forgot, so I have to check up on her myself.” Sooyoung responded and hit the ‘Send’ button, raising the phone to her ear. 

 

  “Speaking of Jessica, why are you so reluctant to tell Hyo about her?” Sunny asked, following the taller woman as she walked out of the small group to chat. 

 

  “Well...I...” she started but was cut off when Jessica answered the dial, “Jessica Jung! Why didn’t you call me at noon like I told you to? You got me worried!” Though the last sentence was a half-lie, it was at least somewhat true. 

 

  “Sorry, it’s not like I was at work or anything,” Jessica answered through the other side, her tone clearly sarcastic. The background had various voices and a mix of two languages, Korean and English. 

 

  “How is it so far? Through the lobby, it seems like a very professional type of work. Except the whole ice cream place knowledge being in high demand,” Sooyoung remarked, smiling at Sunny’s amusing expression responding to her words. 

 

  “You don’t know about that, it was really important for that presentation.” 

 

  “You work for a phone company! What does ice cream have anything with that?” 

 

  “If the boss needs something so you can get paid, you do it, and I did it. I was just doing my job, alright? Oh, and thanks for bringing me that again.”

 

  “You’re welcome, but you really worry me,” Sooyoung replied, shaking her head. Sunny raised onto her tippy toes to put her head next to her best friend’s, trying to eavesdrop. 

 

  “I know that, and you scare me,” Jessica responded, her tone the same as Sooyoung’s, teasingly disappointed. 

 

  “I also know that, what else is new?” Sooyoung moved onto her own pair of tippy toes, trying to avoid her friend that was eavesdropping, although she didn’t know why she would be interested in the discussion between the two. 

 

  “Other than me being stuck with you, not much. I think I have to go, one of the interns are calling me for help,” Jessica said, and Sooyoung could hear a faint voice yelling ‘Jessica sunbae!’, clarifying to herself that she wasn’t really just trying to get out talking to her. 

 

  “That’s fine, go help them. Thanks for the talk, see you at 7,” Sooyoung disconnected the phone call and went back down to her normal height. Looking at Sunny, she remarked, “What’s so interesting about my life for you to eavesdrop in my conversations?” 

 

  Sunny beamed a cheesy smile, “You’re a very interesting person, Choi Sooyoung.” 

 

  Sooyoung shook her head and started to walk back toward the other three, “I know that, but still, it’s rude to try to listen to other people’s discussions.” 

 

  Sunny shrugged, “But you’re our S.Y that forgives easily right?” 

 

 Sooyoung sighed, “That’s right. Now grab H and ask Tae and Tif that-” 

 

  She had been interrupted by Tiffany, “Ask Tae and Tif what?” 

 

  “Ask Tae and Tif what kind of pizza they want,” Sooyoung finished her sentence and looked at the unofficial ‘leader’. 

 

    “Tae’s favorite is bacon, get us one of that and one cheese,” her shorter brown-haired friend replied and called for Hyoyeon, who was going through something in her head. 

 

  “I’m coming!” 

 

 

 

  The three decided it was easiest to walk to the closest pizza place, since it wasn’t that far away and it would be useless to waste gas on a foot’s work. 

 

  “Soo, are you going to answer the question I keep asking you?” Sunny asked almost as soon as they were out of eyesight and earshot of the two girls left. 

 

  “What question?” Hyoyeon also had a question and glanced at the person her words were directed to, pure curiosity in her eyes. 

 

  “Why she didn’t tell you about-” Sunny stopped mid-sentence, realizing what she was going to say. 

 

  “About what?” Hyoyeon’s voice raised in questioning and Sooyoung gulped, she knew that there was no more hiding now.