Kyo's Story -edited

Ride with the Rockers [SEMI-HIATUS]

 

“What do you want?” He spat. 

“We—we were just wondering why you smashed that guitar. It looks expensive.” Ryuta stuttered. “It looks like we’re not welcomed. Shall we leave? Who knows what he’s capable of,” Ryuta nudged Koki, fearing the stranger would turn into violence, hurling punches at both of them. 

“If you got something to say, say it right to my face, neeeeeeeerd. ‘Sides, it’s none of your business on what I do with my stuff. Did you just come out from the live house?”

“Well, it’s none of your business on what we do either…..” Koki muttered under his breath.

“AH?!” 

“No-nothing. Yeah we did. They were awesome!”  Ryuta gave Koki a shut-up-right-now jab.

“Awesome? Pfft. The bastard of the band playing in the live house just now wasn’t good at all. Why did you even attend their live? Tsk. They ing kicked me out and even got a standby bassist right before the live…” He continued to ramble on and on, kicking the bins in irritation.

An idea came into Ryuta’s mind. He figured that this would be a perfect chance to invite the stranger into his band, as an bassist. He had experience playing with ScReW too. He’s would be a perfect member for his newly formed band, he thought. 

“Then, do you want to join our band? There’s only the two of us currently, though. I’m Ryuta. I sing and play the guitar. This guy,” Ryuta elbowed Koki,”… is my friend, Koki. He drums.” Ryuta introduced himself to the stranger, hoping he would agree on joining his band.

“Oi, what are you thinking, Ryuta?! Isn’t he just eating sour grapes? We don’t even know him! Besides, didn’t we just see him smashing his own bass? He’s either a madman or a nutcase!” Koki whispered harshly, and started grabbing Ryuta’s shoulders and began to shake violently. “And he got kicked out from ScReW for some reasons! Shouldn’t we stay further away from him?! He might not get along with us too!” 

Ryuta shrugged his best friend’s frantic hands off his shoulders and shushed the noisy friend beside him. He continued to stare at the stranger with hope, praying hard that he would agree. He had given a thought on Koki’s opinions before. Yes, they will have some hard time getting along with this stranger who seemed not friendly, but they would acquire something priceless from him. Something that they could not acquire even they had the money. That is experience. 

The man stopped in his tracks and stared at the scared duo in surprise and irritation. He gave a long thought on their invitation and agreed. “Well, sure. But if I find your skills not to my satisfaction, I’ll leave. I’m Kyo, and I play the bass.”

***

It’s the first practice session together, ever since Kyo joined Ryuta and Koki. Ryuta wondered if Kyo would get irritated and pissed at their amateur skills, which he forgot to mention upon inviting him into the band. He gave a quick glance at Kyo as they begin setting up their instruments in the cheap studio they rented. 

“So, why did you smash your bass that day?” Being the gossipy one, Koki asked with curiosity.

He stopped tuning.  He was curious too. Good lord, that bass must have been expensive and it was a waste.

Kyo flicked his Zippo open and lit his cigarette. Taking a deep breath, he started, “Well, you’ve heard of ScReW, right?” 

The duo nodded. 

“Before the live last Friday, I was their bassist. I joined them awhile back and it took me time to get used to them since their songs were kind of different from my previous band. We didn’t communicate much, either. We just practiced, and spoke only when necessary. Apparently, one of their guitarist isn’t very fond of me.

A month passed and I thought I was one of them, you know, not like those temporary bassists whom only played what they’re instructed to. We’ve even performed together in live houses. Then, there was this time where we were practicing the new song we’ve composed. Honestly, I didn’t like how it sounded when we played it together. So, I suggested changing the song into how I preferred it. Obviously, the guitarist got a problem with my suggestion, saying that it and that I have no knowledge in composing music. He even told me to concentrate on practicing hard on my bass, lest I drag their standard down, that ing bastard.”

Kyo paused and lit another cigarette. 

“I was really pissed. I punched him right on his face, and the whole band got into a brawl. It was Byo who stopped the fight and told me to go home to calm the down before the live on Friday. Apparently, they never planned for me to join them on stage.” He gave a disgusted expression. “Damned asses, all of them. Got a new bassist within the few days I was gone, and told me to off since they don’t need me anymore. The new bassist wasn’t bad at all, he synced perfectly with them. I got jealous and angry, so I took it out on my bass after the live.

 I guess ScReW is never screwed even without me, huh.” He finished, taking another deep breath of his cancer stick, smashing the burning end of the stick onto the ash tray, and begun lighting up another.

“Tough luck, huh. Well, feel free to correct us anytime you wish though. There’ll definitely be no fists flying around,” Koki grinned as he gave a huge pat on Kyo’s back, “Now then, shall we begin?”