Koki and Ryuta

Ride with the Rockers [SEMI-HIATUS]

 

Ride with the Rockers

 

Chapter 1 - Edited Version

 

Those melodic beats, synchronized strumming and velvet voice had passed through countless electronic waves to blast through every speaker present. Race, language or culture didn’t matter as international fans flocked to Tokyo Dome. It was as if nothing would possibly happen, as long as the music never stopped playing. They were one, amidst the cheers of the crowd. 

The concert was an inspiration to them. What is it to be like, to be standing on the other side of the stage, performing like them? Will they be able to perform as good as them? Will the people enjoy the music they played, like how they enjoyed it?

Will they be the one who inspire others?

At that point, they knew what they wanted to do. There minds were set and motivated. They wanted to be like the GazettE, the figure of their inspiration, dreams, and of course, uniting people together as one with their music.

Feeling fired up, the first thing they knew they had to do was to learn to play the instruments. Ever since Ryuta watched Uruha amazed the audience with his guitar solo, he knew he had to do it. Even with his parents’ disagreement. His parents were practical people. They thought being in a full time band for income isn’t stable. Of course, he thought. Because, in the entertainment industry, you have to keep your fame going. That is what feeds the artists. The more albums you sell, the more income you’ll make. It’s a cycle. But Ryuta isn’t bothered by this. Money and fame isn’t what he wanted. After all, all he wanted is to play music. To become one’s inspiration. Just like what inspired him to. Just like them.

Music is his passion. After watching Uruha performed with his guitar during that unforgettable night, he knew he had to start putting his goals into action. Daydreaming isn’t going to be of help to him at all. He needed courage, to climb the first step. His best friend, Koki, had the same sentiments with him as well. They shared the same interests, and had the same way of thinking about things. That enabled him to get his gears running.

Ever since Koki was small, he has always have this habit of tapping his feet, or hands, to the beat of the music. As if it was natural to him. He nodded to the beat of Cassis in his headphones, tapping his hands lightly at the sides of his thighs, and proceeded hopping his way towards Ryuta’s house. He had a certain attraction to the way Kai plays in Cassis. Although the people around him commented about the song, he didn’t care one bit. It is his favorite song. 

Sometimes, Ryuta would make a trip to his house and practice together. They had mastered all the basics of their instruments, and honestly, it didn’t satisfy their hunger for music. They agreed on one thing - to progress further, they needed experience playing in a band, and not just two of them alone. There were some doubts that almost made them revoke their decision, but they took it as obstacles to reach their goals. One couldn’t get better without obstacles. The decision is what made them feeling even more fired up.

“Ara, Koki kun! Are you here to see Ryuta again? He’s in his room as usual, practicing his guitar. How are you these days?” Ryuta’s mother greeted him at the doorstep, ushering him inside. He knew that Ryuta’s parents didn’t support his dreams. With much difficulty, they managed to get both of their parents agree, however, with a condition that they wouldn’t neglect their studies. After all, education is important. 

“Good afternoon! I’m feeling fired up today as usual! Ano, would you mind if I take Ryuta out for a concert the day after tomorrow?” Koki politely asked, while waving the tickets in the air, as if it were his prized possession. 

“Of course not, Koki! I’m sure you can’t wait to tell Ryuta about this. Go on, tell him about this news!” Ryuta’s mother excitedly pushed Koki on his back towards the stairs. Recently, she had learnt to accept Ryuta’s decision and started to support him. However, Ryuta’s father, still had complaints regarding this matter. She hummed to the tune of Love So Sweet by Arashi, and went back to the kitchen preparing dinner.

Koki climbed up the stairs in a rush, taking two steps at a time. He couldn’t contain his excitement any longer. He slammed Ryuta’s door open, breathed in one large gulp of air, and shouted, 

“I’VE GOT TICKETS FOR US TO ScReW’S LIVE HERE IN FUKUOKA!” He raised his hands in the air, waving  the two slips of paper vigorously. His eyes sparkled in glee, jumping up and down. The look on Ryuta’s face was priceless. His eyes were wide, and his mouth gaped wide open from Koki’s sudden, flashy entrance. His shocked expression slowly became a wide grin. He is going to ScReW’s live! It’s been 6 months since he last attended the GazettE’s concert, and he is sure hyper on attending this one. 

“Are you serious?! Let me see it!” He quickly placed his guitar on the stand, pounced on Koki and wrestled the tickets from Koki’s hands. It wasn’t a joke! He grinned at Koki, and jumped for joy with the tickets in his hands.

“I know, right?” Koki said eagerly as he snatched the tickets away from him. “I’ll meet y      ou in front of the live house the day after tomorrow! Don’t worry, I’ve already informed this to your mother earlier. And don’t be late or I’ll abandon you! I gotta go; my drums are calling out for me. See ya!” Koki gave him a mock kiss as he bounced out of his room, dashing down the flight of stairs and slammed the front gate loudly to announce his flashy departure. There will be no peace and quiet when Koki’s around, he thought and chuckled. Koki is  always the mood maker, and he has never seen him depressed before. Ryuta smiled as he picked up his guitar, and went back to practice.

 

***

 

Ryuta tapped his watch impatiently as he leaned against the fence outside the live house. That idiot, to think Koki called him early this morning to remind him not to be late, and look at the person who’s late. He sighed. Ryuta made a mental note in his mind to skin Koki alive, regardless of him being his dearest friend when he see a glimpse of him.

“Ryuu~ Gomen, gomen. I couldn’t decide on what to wear. I hope I’m not too late?” Koki grinned sheepishly as he appeared behind Ryuta. He frantically searched through his pockets and exclaimed in relief when he finally found what he had been looking for. “Ah here it is! I was worried for a second that I might’ve forgotten to bring it along, heh heh.” Koki then proceeded to link his arms with Ryuta’s. “Let’s not waste time! Shall we go, dear sire?” Koki raised his other free arm out, in mock attempt to lead Ryuta into the live house.

“I swear, Koki. One day, I’m going to pop a vessel thanks to you. Please organize your time properly!” Ryuta sighed, shaking his head at his poor attempt to persuade his dear friend beside him, to plan his time neatly. 

“Hai, hai,” Koki dismissed Ryuta’s outburst away and continued, “Come on, don’t be mad! Haven’t you always wanted to watch ScReW perform? Let’s enjoy this live to our fullest!” He then patted Ryuta on the back lightly as they made their way to their assigned seats. “Just on time!”

The lights began to dim and soon, ScReW band members started to grace the audience with their presence. Byo, the vocalist approached the mic stand and boomed, 

“ARE YOU READY FUKUOKA?! ARE YOU READY?!”

 

***

 

“Ahh~ I’m so exhausted from all that jumping. The live was great, wasn’t it? Watching Jin play the drums just motivates me to practice more often!” Koki blabbed on, while leaving the live house excitedly.

Staring ahead of him, Ryuta noticed a silhouette near the trash bin area. To make sure, he began to nudge Koki, “Koki, wait. Did you see a silhouette there? What’s he doing near the bin? A drunkard? How suspicious,” Ryuta murmured as he dragged Koki with him, sneaking up to the suspicious stranger. 

As the distance began closing up between the stranger and them, they got a clearer view of what the stranger’s actions were. The stranger was smashing his bass guitar against the bin viciously with so much force and hatred, that the body and the fretboard of the guitar is in smithereens.

“Good lord…” Ryuta gasped.