Meet the Zhangs'

Why Did It Have To Be You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For once in my high school career, I dread at the mention of it but knowing my parents they force me to go.  I don't blame them though, I mean school is important but after the whole symbol thing and with my kind of parents—I really didn't want to go.  Also for once, I didn't bother with breakfast because my mind was too busy thinking of ways to avoid the playboy Lay at all cost; although I'm curious about my parents being really excited and overall happy that I got the Zhang's mark.  I’ll ask them later, I guess. 

 

 

Almost done with the day and the week, I had to deal with my English Lit class, the one and only class that I have with Lay.  Ugh.  Just thinking about what we have to do was making me nauseous, if I remember correctly she said that we would start doing classwork in pairs but she didn't specify when.  Walking to my seat, I quickly set my things down as class was going to start soon; Miss Choi had walked in not a second after I sat in my seat and got my notebook out.

"Alright class," Miss Choi's voice loud and strict, "today we're going to start working in pairs." For a second my heart sank but then I remembered that I have one of my closest friends.  Maybe we get to pick our partners?  I quickly look around, checking for him, I really didn't want him to be here today.  Thank God.  My heartbeat normalized and I rest my head on the cool wooden top of my desk, but I had spoken too soon. "Mister Zhang. You're late." At the mention of his name, I cringe and I felt as if I were going to cry.  Why.

 

"Sorry Miss Choi, I had to take care of something. Have I ever told you how beautiful you are?" That was how he attempts to get out of detention but it doesn't work for Miss Choi, "Take care of something? Sure you did." This is why I love Miss Choi, she doesn't take anyone's bull, "Now sit down before I send you to the headmaster." Everyone had giggled and judging by the long, deep sigh that came from the boy, he was annoyed.  Haha, how long is it going to take for you to realize that flirting with her is pointless? 

 

"Alright, since everyone is finally here we can start." I didn't realize that I was slightly giggling at my own remark, " Miss Kang, is there something wrong?" Miss Choi had sternly asked me but I had nodded my head side to side 'no'.  Miss Choi had continued with her mini lecture before getting to the real stuff, "When you're with your partner, the two of you have to decide who does what and whatever you don't finish in class will be homework." So far she hasn't mentioned anything about partners and such so maybe--- I was cut off mid-thought, "You are all assigned partners. I'm sorry if you get someone that you don't like or don't know much but you know what." Miss Choi paused, "That's life." She cleared her voice and started to list off who was paired with who while I wished, hoped, and begged for my partner to be anyone but, "Lay," For a second I thought I had said his name out loud,  "you'll be partnered with Mina." What.

 

"Everyone get to work. Ask me questions or if you need help on something that you don't understand or for clarifications." But Miss Choi you're joking right?!  Faceplanting on my desk, I didn't want to move. Ugh. Why me. "Mina." A familiar voice had called me.  Turning my head to the right, I saw Mi Young closely staring at me from her desk and then slowly getting out of her seat to be closer to me.

"Are you alright?" Groaning in reply she patted and rubbed my back, "It's okay, Lay isn't that bad. He'll do his work if he feels like it." Mi Young's voice seemed convincing at first but started to change towards the end of her attempt to reassure me. "Mi Young." Her partner had called her, "Mina, I need to go okay? I'll talk to you later." Please don't leave me alone.  A pout slightly formed on my face and a deep voice echoed through my ears, my stomach sank, and my heart was racing again.

 

The playboy had made his way over along with his bag and took the seat from the desk next to mine.  We sat in silence; I was busy reading the instructions in the packet while Lay was secretly on his phone texting whoever his was for the day.  Is he really the owner of this unicorn tattoo? Heaving a sigh I take my pencil and start working and let Lay do whatever he wants.  I'll just do his work for him—just this once.

 

Halfway through class, I finished my half of the assignment and oddly enough Lay's share doesn't seem as complicated and tedious as mine was.  I had finished his half within 20 minutes and went up to Miss Choi.  Seconds within turning in our work she had called Lay up and caught my attention.  His annoyed expression explained my annoyance for everything at the moment; once he got up to her desk and stood next to me, I could see that she was particularly mad at Lay.  With my heart racing at just his presence, I attempted to carefully and slyly sneak away and back to my desk, but Miss Choi eyed me, which meant I was to stay in my spot and not try anything funny.

 

"Mister Zhang, could you explain to me why Mina did your work?" From Miss Choi's view point, it would seem like Lay is looking down at his hands in shame but really he had his phone and was reading his text messages to his -of-the-day.  Miss Choi had looked back down at the packets she handed to us and skimmed them once again, waiting for the idiot next to me, to answer. "Zhang Yixing." She raised her voice just a little louder, which made the idiot accidentally drop his phone.  I really wanted to break out laughing because of the look on his face but I stopped myself to save the embarrassment. 

"Yes?" He had stuttered and looked at Miss Choi, "Are you listening to me? Did you hear what I just said?" Lay slowly nodded in what looked like confusion.  I didn't want to be in the crossfire between the two of them so I spoke up, "Um, Miss Choi?" My voice wavering under nervousness, she looked at my direction, “May I be excused?" I held my stare with her for a little bit longer until I felt warmth of embarrassment on one side of my face; Lay had been staring at me as well. "Ah, yes. Sorry about this Mina." Why is she apologizing? Before I could ponder any longer with her apology she made my heart sink even further, "I won't give you two the grade unless Mister Zhang here, does his share."

 

Wanting to jump out the window, to my death, Lay simply said, "That's fine with me." WHAT?! Are you kidding me?!  My eyes widen and I let my head fall onto my desk.  Lifting my head, I notice that people are staring at me, "Don't worry, I didn't feel a thing." I lamely mumble while putting my things away.  Now I see why Miss Choi apologized.  The bell rang indicating that school was over, as I was about to run out of the room; Miss Choi had called me, "Kang Mina, would you come here for a second."

Hesitant, I slowly make my way to the familiar spot, "Yes?" She cleared , "I must apologize once again, but you shouldn't do other persons’ work. They won't learn anything when someone does it for them or in any case should you do something for them." I hang my head low while she lectures me.

 

"Do you understand?"

 

"Yes." My voice low and lifeless.

 

"Although, I will give you the grade you deserve along with extra credit." Miss Choi stated as I turned around to face her once again, "Really? What about the thing you said--"

 

"Don't worry, I thought he would waver at least a little bit, but I guess not." I couldn't believe what I was hearing and wanted to jump up and down for joy, "Thank you so much Miss Choi! It really means a lot!" The good feeling I got in my stomach had spread all over and I felt like I was on cloud nine. 

 

 

Maybe this week isn't so bad.  Arriving home, I notice that my dad was home earlier than usual. "I'm home." I announce as I take off my shoes and blazer.  Heading to the kitchen to grab something to snack on, I hear my parents talking about something. "Mina~" My mom's voice filled with excitement.  I head upstairs to their room and see that her hair had curlers in them, she was applying make up and dad was adjusting his tie.

 

"Sweetheart, go get ready." Dad said after checking that his suit jacket was free of any stray hairs or lint.

 

"Why? What for?" I asked before I take a bite of the apple I was holding, "Why are you two dressed all fancy like?" I nonchalantly continue my raid of questions as I sink my teeth into the ripe fruit. "We have a dinner to go to and when I mean by we, I mean all of us. Now go get dressed, your mother went out and bought you a new dress. It's laying on your bed." Dad quickly said while speed walking around their room.  I sighed and walked off. 

What I was expecting for my dress would be simple in design like a casual, black or white cocktail dress but no.  It was a formal, one shoulder, light peach to peach ombre dress.  The waist was sequined all the way around and was about mid-thigh length.  I'll admit it; it's pretty but not my style.  This is very girly.  I walk back to my parent’s room.

"Mom, what kind of dress is this?" My voice laced with sarcasm.  Dad gives me a look that says 'because-I-said-so' while mom was taking the curlers out of her hair, leaving light curls at the ends.  She gets up, "Mina, sweety, just please go get ready and change. We don't want to be late."

 

Groaning for the umpteenth time I turn around and head to my room, but before I could take another step my mom calls out, "Oh wait, Mina-!"

 

"Yes?"

 

"Here, wear this." She hands me a gold chain necklace.  For a second, my attention was averted to the accessory.  The first thing that caught my eye was the pentagram inscribed in a circle, my eyes then traced down to where there's a small crystal and crescent moon attached along the bottom of the pentacle.  The crystal seemed to be translucent but as I focused on it more, it began to change and seem as if there was water inside of it and there was a cool touch as I held onto it, focusing on it much more.  Whoa. Looks mystifying.  I like it.   A smile slowly formed on my still confused expression.

 

"What's this for?" I ask as I eye the necklace and it's simplicity in awe.

 

"It's yours." Quickly adverting my attention up at my mom, she smiles knowingly.  Oh okay.  It's the distinctive item that you and your soulmate have... Wait. "Mom, why do I have to go to this dinner?" She doesn't respond as she closes the door on me.  Right when I think I could enjoy my Friday night at home I'm forced to go to some dinner.  This is just great.  Dragging myself to my room and get ready even though my spirit to live is dying ever so slowly. 

 

Passing by my parents room, mom is briefly putting some of her makeup and curlers away, she's wearing a white dinner dress, simple with a little glitter here and there on the front, ankle-floor length of her dress, her hair up in a bun while a little of it was brought from the front of her ears to define her slim face shape.  Forgetting that I was heading downstairs to wait, she notices me and asks to help her put on a sapphire necklace.  When she handed it to me, I realized that it wasn't sapphire but a crystal that changed to match her power.  So that's why mine changed colors. 

 

"Why does it change colors?" I ask while she was making sure there wasn't a single loose hair on her dress.  Looking throug

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter