Untitled Part 1

Aristocracy

 


One wouldn’t find Jung Taekwoon in a seedy bar on a Sunday evening nursing a glass of scotch between his fingers. But oftentimes business required him to seat himself on the greasy barstools of cheap bars even during the economic boom that had settled over the city. He wasn’t very much about the hedonistic lifestyle, but the money was good. Not like it was really much of a problem before. Taking another sip, he looked around for his client – a bootlegger who was slowly rising on the economic scale and who /preferred coming to seedy bars. Thus Jung Taekwoon found himself shifting uncomfortably on the seat which creaked.

There was a puff of smoke from the seat beside him where a man was seated, quite comfortable with his surroundings. Tossing his drink back down his throat, he stood up and placed his hat back on his head, stubbing his cigarette out before rising from the seat and making his way to the exit. Taekwoon grimaced at the stench of the cheap tobacco that hit his nostrils.

“Glad you could make it.” Taekwoon turned to the man who settled down on the previously occupied seat beside him. Lee Jaehwan had a peculiar face that made Taekwoon uncomfortable – he smiled too much and made extremely odd facial expressions. Eyeing whatever was in Taekwoon’s hand, Jaehwan placed an order for the same, turning around and leaning back to eye the empty stage in the corner of the dusty bar.

“One of those singers come here, very easy on the eye if you know what I mean.” Jaehwan commented, taking a loud sip of his drink while nudging an uncomfortable Taekwoon.

“I thought we were here for business,” the latter commented, eyeing the garish colour of Jaehwan’s suit while the other smiled, taking another loud sip from his drink.

“What is business without some pleasure?”

Taekwoon’s lips almost instantly pursed with distaste. He know how the economic boom had led to the most hedonistic creatures being produced from those who couldn’t afford such pleasures before. But he was a man of honour, morals, and other such things of the past. But that didn’t mean he didn’t like the new changes the world around now offered to him – he got to see women who fought for their rights, clever men who got an opportunity to show their creativity, he got jazz music which he was certain was the music of the soul.

So distracted was he by his thoughts that he completely missed the band setting up on the platform designated to be the stage and Jaehwan’s incessant chatter about irrelevant things instead of getting to the point as to how much money he needed. Jung Taekwoon invested in businesses regardless of how legal it was as long as it was profitable after all. Dusting his pinstriped suit he took a sip of his scotch.

His thoughts were interrupted by a rich voice reaching his ears. Eyes shooting up to lay themselves on the figure standing on stage dressed in typical flapper style – the short hair, straight dress, provocative cosmetics placed over face. His eyes fell on her red lips as they parted, her voice flowing into the microphone.

Jaehwan’s rubbish was starting to annoy Taekwoon as he leaned forward, gazing at the lady who swayed to the music on stage. Jaehwan halted, noticing Taekwoon’s attention had been diverted by the music and watched the man beside him mesmerized at the woman on stage. She didn’t particularly appeal to Jaehwan, but he did notice the look on Taekwoon’s face and leaned back against the bar counter, nodding at the bartender.

“How about business Mr. Jung?” Jaehwan asked the distracted man “or are we, otherwise engaged?”

Taekwoon gulped, turning back towards Jaehwan, tearing his eyes away from the powerful singer on stage. But he couldn’t help his eyes flickering over towards the lady who stood with her head held high as she crooned into the microphone while Jaehwan made a quick work of business, much to Taekwoon’s relief.  His eyes shot towards her yet again, and this time met her dark ones for an instant that made him freeze as her lips curled upwards.

“I’m glad we had this talk, I will see you soon then.” Jaehwan’s hand was out for Taekwoon to shake, which the latter did with hesitance. Tipping his hat towards Taekwoon, Jaehwan left almost as quickly as he arrived, satisfied with his dealings and glad that the lady on stage had appeared at the right time causing the usually curt meetings to run as smoothly as her voice.

Taekwoon stayed, his finger running over the rim of a fresh glass of scotch as he looked at the dusty ground. The music had halted just a little while back and somehow Taekwoon still found himself settled on the creaking seat, mulling over cheap scotch.

“Were you waiting for me darling?” her voice glided through the air causing his eyes to shoot up to notice the beauty on stage, now seated next to him, smirking. Noticing no response, she sighed holding her hand out for him to take, which he did, almost on reflex surprised to receive a firm shake on her behalf.

“Kim Minah,” She smiled a kinder smile this time, making him take a sharp breath “a pleasure to meet you.”

Taekwoon found himself dazed.

 


Finally back to writing this type of fiction. This is a bit of an experiment which takes a bit of research and a lot of hesitance because I really don't want to mess these up. While I have no title for this piece, it is one part of I don't know how many. But I hope you enjoy it and I really do want some feedback :) Thank you