Reason 6: Pressure

The Hundredth Reason

Mark POV

Earlier in the day, Daniel told me to meet him at his girlfriend’s house but I declined. “I don’t think that’s such a great idea. What if your girlfriend says no?”

He chuckles, “If you think that then you obviously don’t know Alissa. She’s willing to talk to anyone and if you’re friendly, she’ll let you stay for dinner. I promise. She’s really nice.”

I think for a bit but then I realize his girlfriend lives with someone, “What about her roommate?”

“Ah,” He nods, “You’re worried about Krissie? She won’t bite I promise.”

“But I’ve heard she’s really...mean.”

Daniel gives me his usual “are you crazy” look but after a second looks away and then looks me back in the eye, “She may be a little mean. But I’ve grown up with her and really, she’s really nice when you get to know her. I swear.”

I bite my lip in habit as I think, “Will they really be ok with it?”

He looks down on the ground, “Alis will, I can promise you that but Krissie may take a little convincing.”

“And that’s what I’m afraid of.”

He pats my shoulder, “Well don’t be. Just come by later ok? I’ll send you their address later.”

He turns to leave as I just stand there in astonishment. Did he seriously invite someone over to his girlfriend’s house without even asking? Should I even go?

4 hours later, I’m there in front of their apartment door with my hands in my pockets. I was hesitant about knocking on the door...well because they don’t know me. And I was unexpectedly invited to their house.

After internally fighting myself, I finally have enough courage to ring the doorbell. I could hear some distant arguing in the background and finally the the door opened and I saw Daniel behind it.

“Hey come on in.”  

“Thanks.” I step inside and I find myself in a quite spacious room. It’s large and mainly white. But there seemed to be a vintage type of feeling to it. “This place is nice…”

We walk further into the living room and I see Alissa and who I assume to be her roommate look up. Alissa runs over to me dropping whatever was in her hands, and gives me a tight hug.

“Hi Alissa.” I couldn’t do anything to push her away so I kept my hands at my sides awkwardly. After a while it became extremely uncomfortable.

“Sorry.” She lets go of me, “Oh yeah, you’ve never met my roommate before have you?” She nods in the other girl’s direction as I shake my head.

Alissa leads me to the other girl with Daniel following behind me, “This is Krissie. She’s my best friend.” Alissa smiles at her.

I greet her with just a slight, tiny smile. “Hi.”

Her greeting was a lot colder, “Hi.”

“Krissie, this is Mark Tuan. He’s one of Daniel’s close friends. So be nice to him.” Alissa places one hand on my shoulder as Daniel places his on the opposite one.

It was an awkward meeting between us two. I didn’t know exactly what to do or say so I just stood there. Daniel pushes me to sit at the table with them and I do.

Alissa offers me food but I decide not to. “It’s ok I’m not really hungry.”

Just as I declined, Krissie gets up and goes to the kitchen. A couple minutes later, she comes out with 4 cups of tea.

“If you’re not hungry, at least drink something. Alissa isn’t going to stop bothering you if you don’t at the very least drink a glass of water.” Alissa hands me a cup and I take it, fearing that she wouldn’t be happy if I didn’t accept her offer.

“Now if you’ll excuse me,” Krissie takes her own cup and her phone, “I have some homework to work on.” She goes to her own room leaving the three of us in the kitchen. It was then my chance to ask what was going on.

“What were you two planning?” Daniel and Alissa look at each other as if questioning whether they should tell me or not. “Well if you’re not telling I have to go now.” I get up but Daniel springs up from his seat right away.

“Don’t go. Do you really need to know that badly?”

“Well if I’m here at someone’s house when I don’t know what’s going on, shouldn’t I have the right to know?”

Alissa rolls her eyes, “Fine.” They tell me to sit on the couch as they tell me the entire story of why I’m even here.

“So do you understand why you’re here now?”

My head was facing down as I looked at the floor. “I don’t think I can do that. Sorry.” I get up but both come after me,

“Can’t you talk to Krissie at least?” Alissa looked at me with pleading eyes.

“No. I’m sorry. I got out of a relationship because I was being too pressured by her. What makes you think I’m going to go back into a relationship from pressure? I’m sorry guys.”

I lead myself out and I know I hurt them but they had to think about me too. I couldn’t do it just to satisfy them only.

When I’m by the elevator, I hear a door close and footsteps coming near. I turn around and I see Daniel behind me.

“You really won’t give it a try?”

“You know how much pressure Shannon gave me when we were together. That was why we broke up. I don’t think I can.”

“But you don’t even know her. She’s not a person that pressures people into doing things they dislike.”

“I know. But I’m not ready to be controlled by another person. I just got my freedom. I don’t want it taken away.”
“Really? Are you sure it’s not because you’re actually scared of being with a person like her?”

“Yes. I am sure. She’s not the type of person I would be with anyways.”

“I’m just trying to help you both.”

“Thanks Daniel, but I don’t feel like being binded by someone again. I like freedom. And I intend to enjoy it. I’ll go back to dating when I feel like it.”

“Do you really feel that restricted?”

“Yes. Yes I do. The pressure that my family gave me was nothing compared to what Shannon put me through. I was like a slave more than her boyfriend. She thought I was seeing someone else behind her back and put me through so much stress. In the end, I almost had a mental breakdown because of her. Do you really think I want to be binded again? Please just let me have my freedom. I can’t go through any more pressure now. School is way more important. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go home to study for my tests. I’ll see you later.”

I go in and wait for the elevator doors to close. As they do, I realize what a jerk I was to my best friend. He was only trying to help. But after what I went through with Shannon, I was sure I couldn’t go through a woman’s pressure again that quickly. So if I offended you Daniel, I’m sorry.


Hello! I'm back >.< trying to update more because I felt bad for this story only being at a couple chapters after like 2-3 months :P anyways, I may not get to post within the next week or so because I have to study of PSATs...someone kill me now -_- but i'll see if I can write over the weekend! In the meantime, tell me what you think about this chapter. Is Mark's background story enough to your liking? Or is it too vague and all over the place where you can't understand it? 

Upvote, Comment, Subscribe!

~M