Reason 7: Too Much Effort

The Hundredth Reason

Krissie POV

I went into my room for a while and went back to studying for a test. But after about 20 minutes, the whole house suddenly became really quiet. I was curious as to what had happened after I came back to my room so I decided to go and see for myself.

I grabbed my cup of tea and headed outside when I heard only two voices; one was female and the other was male. So what happened to the other male voice? I peeked behind the wall and saw that only Alissa and Daniel were in the living room. Where’d Mark go?

I walked a little closer until I heard what the two were saying.

Daniel slumped in the chair, “That didn’t work.”

Alissa lets out a huff, “Well what do you expect? For you to be able to set them up without a single problem?”

I could see Daniel was afraid to even answer, but he did, “Well...yeah. I mean, I thought they would click.”

She shakes her head, “Why are you so narrow minded? Krissie isn’t done healing yet ok? I can promise you that no matter what she may say, she’s denying her feelings. And you should know that. And Mark just broke up with Shannon. Did you expect him to get over her so easily too? Come on, you should know better than that.”

He sits there with his head hanging down low, “I just thought they could talk to each other about being upset.”

Alissa scoffs, “Do you really not know the people you call your best friends?”

Before anything else could be said I walked out, hoping to stop their argument. “Hey guys.”

They both turn their heads away from each other when I walk out as it is exceptionally quiet in the room. Alissa gets up from where she was and walks to her room, slamming the door behind her. Seeing that something was wrong, I walked over to Daniel. Taking a seat next to him, I tried asking what had happened.

“Daniel, what happened?”

He shakes his head, “Nothing.”

I try pleading, possibly acting cute without being intentional, “Please?”

“No Kris. Now shouldn’t you be studying?”

I suddenly was flustered by the question, “Huh? Oh yeah, I came out to get some water for my tea.”

He looks at my empty hands, “Where’s your cup?”

“Oh, haha, I left it in my room.” I nervously chuckle.
“Go back to studying. You have a test tomorrow.”

“Ugh when did you become my dad? I have enough of that when Alis is nagging me but you too?” I spoke too fast before my brain could process what I actually was saying. “Dang it.” I whispered under my breath.

Daniel was about to turn to leave before to turned to face me once again, “Kris, you know I asked Mark to come over so you guys could talk to each other right?”

I was silent because I didn’t know what to say. Alissa knew I wasn’t ready and so did Daniel. They both were speaking of good intentions for me but in the end I caused their fight. I was guilty. How could they both be fighting over something so simple?

“Daniel, I think it’s best if you listen to Alis and just don’t force it.”

He stops to practically digest all I said when he looked at me, “You heard us didn’t you?”

“I know you guys are doing what’s right. But if the other end isn’t ready yet, what makes you think I am too?”

He digs his hands in his pockets while shaking his head as he walks away towards the door, softly slamming it.

I was left all alone in the living room. I looked around and cleaned up after what was left by everyone. As I was cleaning, I thought of another reason for why I wouldn’t dare go down the road of being in a relationship again.

The more I thought about it, the more it was true. If I were to be in a relationship, I would have to put in effort. Effort that could be placed in places like school and family and friends. I would have to put in effort in a relationship like Alissa and Daniel. I would have to worry about how he feels and about our communication. I would have to worry about the fighting if I didn’t put in the effort. Is that something I truly wanted? Did I really want to put in time and effort into something that could possibly make me unhappy once again? Is the adoration and affection of a man really worth it?


Hello! I've disappeared for a while but I'm back >.< thanks for the comments they make my day when I open up the site and see something new >.< 

OMG funny story...so I had an evacuation drill today and when my school was walking to the middle school, it started pouring. We get to the middle school and when we leave for a while it's ok and then it starts pouring on us again and we all ended up being drenched >.< so if you're ever in that situation, BRING A FRIGGING UMBRELLA. 

Anyways, I hope you like this extremely short chapter. I had no idea how to write this and I wanted it up as fast as possible :P Enjoy!

Comment, Upvote, Subscribe!

~M