Reason 16: Commitment

The Hundredth Reason

Krissie POV

My conversations with Mark were always about the same thing; not that I minded. It was nice for me to be able to confide in someone. I mean think about it. I’ve been surrounded by Daniel and Alissa for my entire life. They’re really the only ones I tell anything to, not even my parents…

But then again I guess because my parents could care less about me now anyways. How long has it been since I’ve talked to them? 2 years? 2 ½? Maybe even longer. And it was all because of Kyle...Kyle...why am I even thinking about him now? Why is it that I’m thinking of him right now? Actually, and honestly, I’ve been thinking about him for quite some time now. I wonder why. It’s not because I miss him. And it’s not because I like him still, because if I did, I probably would have slapped myself already. So why? Why is it that I’m thinking about the jerk that’s with another jerk right now?

I was lying around in my room when I heard the doorbell. “Who could it be now?” Suddenly, I think of how I saw Kyle when I saw him a couple of weeks ago. How he barged into my house when he followed me. What if he was back? He was the only person I could think of that would be here at this time of day. Alissa had classes and Daniel was probably sleeping on the couch again at his parents’ house. Besides, they both had keys and knew where the spare was.

I decided to go and face my fears. But just in case, I took my Swiffer Sweeper with me. Sometimes a girl just has to have protection for herself.

I inched my way downstairs and towards the door. Placing my left hand on the door handle, I lifted the sweeper in my right. Opening the door, I swung the sweeper before I looked to see who it was.

“KRISSIE LAM! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?” I heard a loud screech from the person and I immediately swung the sweeper in the opposite direction. I looked up and saw it was my best friend from middle school.

“Lexie?” I couldn’t believe who I saw in front of me. “Lexie? You’re here? Wait what’s going on?”

She gave me a death glare as she entered my house and brought her luggage inside as well. She stopped in the middle of the living room and turned to look at me. “You live here?”

I looked around to see what could possibly be amiss. My house was clean, it was white, just like I pictured it would be when I was in high school. I cleaned up and vacuumed earlier this morning. What was wrong with it. “Yes? What’s wrong with it?”

She went around to examine it a bit more and finally ended up right in front of me. “Nothing!” She smiled. “I just wanted to know what the place I would be staying at looked like.”

Staying at? What? Now I was really confused. “Uh Lex, what are you doing here? You still haven’t told me.”

She smiled and placed her arm on my shoulder like she used to do when we were in high school. “I’m here because of you. And I really need some sun. I mean look at me!” She holds out her arms to show my how “pale” she was.

I rolled my eyes at how she hasn’t changed at all. Just the same Lexie that I used to know so well and love. Nothing’s changed at all. “You’re almost ten times darker than I am. What are you talking about?”

She shrugs, “I live on the East coast sweetie. It’s freezing over there right now. This is more my style.” Kicking her feet up on the table, she rests on the couch and looks around. “Like seriously can I move here? I can pitch in for rent.”

I push her feet off the table and throw a pair of slippers at her, “Uh no. No not at all. Alissa wouldn’t like that. Besides, this place can only house 2 people. 3 at max.”

She shoots me a smile as well as an eye smile. “I’d be that 3rd person! It’s perfect.”

“No Lex. You have school on the other side of the country. And I like how it is here and I don’t want anything to change. Even you moving here would be too much change for me.”

“So I can’t live here?” I nod and as soon as I do, she pouts while giving me her famous puppy dog eyes.

“They’re not going to work on me. You know that Lexie.” I give her my usual stern look and she turns away.

“Fine.” She huffs and stands up moving her suitcase, “But I’m staying here for the next couple of days. Alissa said I could.”

I put my hands up, “Hey if she gave you the ok I don’t care. Just don’t mess anything up. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go wait for an email. And then I’m meeting someone for lunch.” I took her luggage and set up the extra room we have for when Daniel or one of our classmates stay over. “You’ll just stay here for the next couple of days.”

“Thanks Kris!” She smiles as she pats my head. Gosh I missed this feeling. Sometimes, I feel like she’s my mother. I guess the love I haven’t gotten in the last 2 years has been made up for by my best friend. The love of a mother...I’ve missed that feeling. But it was ruined. All because of a person. That person was a mistake and I should have never met him. I put one foot in and I can’t take it back. It’s tarnished my past. And I was a fool for thinking it would be ok.

I sat around waiting for my email from my professor. We were going to be assigned a paper to write but no one knew what the topic would be. And the funniest thing is, everyone would always get different prompts from each other, so there could never be any cheating. It’s not like I would though. My life in school was ruined once already. I wouldn’t let it be ruined for a second time like an idiot now would I?

It was another 15 minutes before I got the email from my professor.

Krissie Lam: Commitment

Your topic is Commitment. Please write a 5 page essay on the topic given to you. Provide specific quotes, anecdotes, evidence, facts, and other statistics that will support the topic. You have 48 hours to submit this assignment.

Grading will be based on timely-ness of the submission, textual evidence, as well as synthesization of your thesis and supporting statements.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

~Professor Reynolds

 

My topic is commitment? Really? Well it looks like I’m doing a lot of drafting before I actually write.

Commitment...was does it mean? Being dedicated to a cause of activity huh? What if I said I was dedicated to a person long ago? That I could risk anything for him. Anything, and I mean anything. I risked my whole future for him once. I was offered the greatest opportunity that would only come once in a lifetime for someone. Yet I turned down the offer for it all because of him. And now? Now I’m afraid to show any dedication or commitment to anyone or anything. I can’t even commit to a phone case or phone let alone a person. It’s traumatic. And it seems like this was all planned. My issue being commitment and yet I’m here, writing an essay about it. Ironic isn’t it? It’s all just simply irony. How sweet.


Hello! I'm here! And back! I passed all of my tests and everything so life is good once again :) now to stress about standarized testing -_- don't even get me started on how much I hate where I am. But anyways, this is just a short update I had time to write in Journalism today and a bit at night right now. I hope you enjoy!

I finally got around to adding in the feature from my little "contest" I held in December. So tell me if you guys would like more opportunities to be in the story. I'll come up with some other ideas that way I can add you guys in! Oh and I'm sorry if some of the story doesn't make sense. Lately I feel like my writing has been lagging. Anyways, see you in the next update! 

Oh and quick question, can anyone think of a ship name for Mark and Krissie? I think I may need one in the next chapter so leave any names you can think of below! 

Comment, Upvote, Subscribe! 

~M

PS. You guys should follow my kpop fanaccount on Instagram! I work with my 2 best friends on it and we would love to be able to get to know you guys! Follow us @360.kpop! Thanks guys! Love you!! <3