Reason 17: Family Disapproval

The Hundredth Reason

I decided to give Mark a call telling him I would have to cancel today. Sending a text would be faster, but a call to apologize for cancelling would be better.

Once I dialed, it took about maybe a second for the other end to pick up. It was like he was waiting for me to call him; like he expected me to cancel.

“Hey Mark.”

“What’s up Krissie?”

“I think I have to cancel for later and reschedule.”

“Huh? Why? You’re busy?”

I sighed and nodded my head even though he wouldn’t see. “I have a paper to write and it’s due in 2 days.”

“Ah ok. That’s fine. I was going to call you to tell you I probably couldn’t make it either.”

“Why? You have something come up suddenly too?”

“Yeah.” He sighed, “My parents.”

“I guess we’ll reschedule for next time.”

“Yeah.” I suddenly heard someone else’s voice on the other side and decided it was best if we ended our conversation now.

“I guess you have to go now.”

He chuckled, “How’d you know?”

“I don’t know, the fact someone just yelled ‘Mark we’re going out to eat now’?”

“Nice one Krissie. Very nice.”

“I’ll let you go now. Bye Mark.”

“Bye Krissie.”

We hung up and I began my work. Commitment? Please, I can’t even commit to my phone let alone write an essay on it? Ironic story of my life.

 

Lexie POV

I was going to ask Kris if she wanted to eat something but when I was outside her door, she was on the phone with someone. I know I shouldn’t snoop in on other peoples’ buisness but what choice do I have when it’s my best friend?

Leaning against the door, I pressed my ear as close to the door as I could.

“Hey Mark.”

She was talking to a guy? Wait, could it be the guy Alissa and Daniel told me about?

“I think I have to cancel for later and reschedule.”

They had plans with each other…?

“I have a paper to write and it’s due in 2 days.”

“Why? You have something come up suddenly too?”

“I guess we’ll reschedule for next time.”

“I guess you have to go now.”

“I don’t know, the fact someone just yelled ‘Mark we’re going out to eat now’?”

“I’ll let you go now. Bye Mark.”

She made plans yet she had to cancel? I wonder...maybe it’s time for me to take my place and do a little pushing and shoving. A little bit of effort wouldn’t be bad right? Hehe

 

Mark POV

I sighed once I got off the phone with Krissie. I have to admit, I really did want to go out to have lunch with her. At least I could get away from my parents and the stress they give me. Don’t get me wrong, I love my mom and dad but when it comes to relationships, they just never give me the space I need.

When I said I had plans today and couldn’t spend time with them, the first thing that came out of their mouths? “Is it with a girl?” Of course by then, I was already nodding unconsciously before I could stop myself.

My mom eyed me suspiciously, “Is it with that Shannon Lui girl again? I thought you two broke up?”

Dad walked over to her and placed a hand on her shoulder, “Don’t be like that. Her mom is your 好姐妹 (good friend).”

“I don’t care. If that girl thinks she can drive my son to his limits there is no way I’m friends with that woman. The way she teaches her children to respect others is disgusting.”

“That’s in the past now. You can move on can’t you?” My dad sighed knowing the kind of response he would get.

“No. Not at all.” There was a sense of hatred in her voice, like when people would fight over something small at the store but this was about her son. “So are you seeing her again?”

I shook my head. “No Mom. I’m not seeing anyone. I just had plans to go out to lunch with a few friends.”

“And who are your ‘friends’ Mark?” She crossed her arms over her chest.

“You know Daniel and Alissa. We were going to go out with another friend of theirs.”

Dad finally decided to pipe in out of curiosity, “And who would that be?”

“Krissie Lam.” I said blankly. This is exactly why I can’t ever tell them anything. They get up all in my business about the people I talk to and who I hang out with. And just by listening to the name, they can dislike a person even if I like them.

“Lam...why does that name sound so familiar?” Suddenly, both of them snapped their fingers at the same time and looked at me, “Was she dating a white guy before?”

I thought a bit and then nodded. “Yeah. Why?”

“Does she have long brown hair with see through bangs?”

I blinked a few times, “What are see through bangs?”

They waved their hands, “Never mind. Just describe her.”

“She’s average height, like 5’4”-5’5” and kinda small. She wears name brands, lots of name brands whenever I see her. Long brown hair and brown eyes and she always has on a specific bracelet.”

“Silver with an engraved plate charm?” My mom asked.

I nod. “How’d you know?”

“We know the parents. Nice people but they didn’t treat her right after her boyfriend.”

“So you guys know everything now. So can I go?” I turned towards the door but they stood right in front of me.

“You aren’t going anywhere.”

“And why is that Mom? We said the 4 of us would go out today.”

“Oh no. You’re not going anywhere that is around that girl. She’s not good for you. Instead, ” Mom took Dad’s phone and pulled up a picture of another girl. “You should meet her instead. She’s much better.”

I rolled my eyes and ran to my room upstairs. Why is it that everyone I talked to and hung around with always had to be chosen by them? Why couldn’t I choose for myself? Why is it that my life is being made by someone else and not me? Why? Why can’t I choose anymore?


Hi! I'm here again >.< Sorry my updates are so random :P Just lazy and busy as usual >.< But anyways...HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! I wish everyone luck and good health this year! 

So...let's recap. Krissie and Mark can't go out because one has an essay and the other is forbidden to see the other...sound like a twist on Romeo and Juliet? I know. But I didn't mean for it to come out that way >.< But anyways, HAPPY READING! 

Comment, Upvote, Subscribe!

~M