discoveries

A Wildflower


 



Seunghyun smoothly veers on to the Kwons’ driveway with palms growing damp as they hold the wheel in a vice-like grip. He’s pitifully nervous – again.

If he could strangle his dad for forcing him to ask Jiyong out – he most definitely would. It’s no question that Jiyong despises him and this entire arrangement as a whole, and Seunghyun doesn’t want to burden the younger or himself by actually trying to get along with each other. He knows that this is already a lost battle on his part.

And it’s unfair at how absolutely crushing their first proper encounter was for him, who was expecting only a little awkwardness as the possible worst outcome. Now, It’s probably going to grow in to a resolute thing, he figures, that he is to be a shaking ball of anxious thoughts whenever Jiyong is in close proximity.

Pathetic, Seunghyun thinks, it’s just lunch.

However, the fact that it is lunch with Jiyong overrides any of his calming reassurances, so much so that Seunghyun sits outside the massive house, inside his car for at least 10 minutes, mind dancing around ideas of how he should act around the younger. And now, technically, he’s 10 minutes late and Jiyong might be in an even more horrible mood.

Before he chickens himself out for a second time with that worrying thought, Seunghyun gathers his phone in to his hands quickly and struggles to type out a very polite text asking the boy to appear outside.

He is only graced with about one measly minute for a last moment check of his appearance in the rear-view mirror – running unsteady fingers through tousled-back hair and smoothing down the front of his pressed, salmon shirt – before Jiyong walks outside the large, white double-doors and Seunghyun suddenly feels as if he is seated at some extravagant fashion show in Paris.

He, quite literally, gapes as Jiyong moves in a slow, distinct strut towards the car. His legs are wrapped in the habitual, impossibly tight pants and a hundred studs decorating his jacket that catch the sunlight brilliantly – makes him shine. Seunghyun doesn’t think his thoughts have ever been more poetic, or that he’s ever paid such close attention to anyone else before.

The driveway is long, Seunghyun realizes, far enough that after half a minute, Jiyong’s still a fair bit away because Seunghyun’s stupid brain decided he was going to park right at the bottom of it.

He’s grateful though, that he’s given time to recover from his ‘Jiyong-viewing’ in order to duck out of the driver’s side and walk around to the passanger’s, fumbling with the door handle before managing to open it wide for the younger, doing it more out of habit from his previous dating experience than anything. He hears a loud snort from behind him.

“What a gentleman,” Jiyong snides. Seunghyun only looks at the smirking face for a short second before averting his eyes, feeling a little dumb in his action now – he should have guessed that Jiyong wasn’t going to appreciate any kind of chivalry.

He steps back quickly from the door as Jiyong slides in and slams it shut, sheepishly returning to the driver’s side, face already growing warm.

Seunghyun’s much too aware of Jiyong’s presence when he sits back down – how could he not be? The boy smells so, ironically sweet and the scent engulfs the whole interior of the car. So, even if Seunghyun is looking straight ahead – Jiyong is going to be obvious in his mind. It’s nerve-wracking enough that his hands are shaky when he begins to drive out on to the road, once again in tense, tight fists around the wheel.

He doesn’t know if he should talk to the other. Would Jiyong just get pissed? Is there even a point in trying? The drive begins in tense silence – but maybe that is only on Seunghyun’s part. When he sneaks a glance to his side, Jiyong is actively dabbing at his shiny iphone, like Seunghyun isn’t even there.

The older wants to sigh, but he holds it in.

The drive remains this way, only noises and pings and vibrations sounding from the device in Jiyong’s hands and Seunghyun’s pathetic, internal struggles.

So, he’s almost shocked in to another dimension when it’s Jiyong who breaks the silence, fifteen minutes after they’ve left the house. Seunghyun almost physically jumps at the sudden voice.

“Where the hell are we going?” Jiyong exclaims incredulously. Seunghyun has to regulate his breathing before providing a coherent reply. Even if it was asked out of exasperation – he’s glad the boy asked him because he picked the place himself, personally (on Daesung’s advice when Seunghyun called him this morning in a near-to panic attack).

Seunghyun clears his throat, “Oh- um, i-it’s this brunch place-” He glances to the side and Jiyong is staring with bored, half-lidded eyes. Seunghyun gulps, “that...I’ve heard is really good!” He attempts to finish off enthusiastically.

“Okay, whatever.” Jiyong shrugs one shoulder. He returns to his phone with much greater interest. Seunghyun’s shoulder’s sag in relief that one conversation of theirs hasn’t ended in Jiyong yelling – progress, perhaps, or maybe just Seunghyun’s wishful thinking.

 

 

 

 

When they reach the place, Jiyong can feel Seunghyun’s eyes on the side of his face – like the older is anticipating his reaction or something. Why would you even bother to care? Jiyong thinks, confused by the fact Seunghyun obviously put thought in to this forced meeting.

The cafe is small and wooden and very European looking in decor. There’s an array of considerably young people seated around and the alluring smell of fresh baked bread and brewing coffee is consuming the air. Jiyong can’t pretend the place isn’t nice – doesn’t really feel the need to – he’s too tired and hungry at this point to snap at Seunghyun anyway.

“Not bad.” He comments very offhandedly, looking at Seunghyun over his shoulder with a straight face as they enter. He doesn’t know what to do when his very unenthusiastic opinion, for some reason, has Seunghyun’s face stretching in a shy smile – towards him.

Jiyong’s eyes widen in surprise and he quickly turns his head away, unable to maintain the eye-contact.

He can’t even believe he was just flustered by the other. you and your handsome ing face. Jiyong reckons it’s not his fault – reassures himself that Seunghyun’s eyes are too intense to look at up-close, for anyone, also his dimples – his whole face in general, really.

He shakes it off, very unfamiliar and uncomfortable with the feeling. Maybe I do just need to snap at him all the time. Otherwise he might get the wrong idea. If he hates me, he’ll push his dad to stop the marriage.

“I want to sit by the window.” Jiyong demands, pointing at a two-person table in the corner. Seunghyun nods quickly and the waiter ushers them over, menus in hand. Jiyong thinks he can definitely get used to Seunghyun’s apparently compliant personality – no qualms and no complaints, just whatever Jiyong wants getting done.

Can I get you any coffee?” The waiter asks, and after Seunghyun mutters something along the lines of cappuccino, Jiyong automatically begins to recite his custom and favourite type of coffee style, almost unconsciously. He almost always gets his coffee from this one place near YG, and the employees there all probably know the order as well as Jiyong does by now.

“Yeah- could I get a regular caramel crème coffee, skim milk, one dollop of low-fat whipped cream, extra caramel syrup, and roasted almonds on top?” He doesn’t see Seunghyun and the waiter simultaneously staring at him in disbelief as he takes a deep breath to continue, “Also, make sure you add warm milk –otherwise it goes cold and gross too quickly.” Jiyong puts the menu down and looks up, only to see Seunghyun looking at him with his eyes comically wide and his lips parted.

What?” Jiyong orders.

This seems to jolt life in to the older. Seunghyun clears his throat and shakes his head “Nothing! Um, just-” he struggles to respond and Jiyong raises an impatient eyebrow. “You must, uh, really like coffee.”

Jiyong gets it then – from the way Seunghyun was being careful with his words – he probably looks like an absolute . Especially considering that Seunghyun’s just ordered a regular cappuccino from the menu. Jiyong feels slightly affronted and squares his shoulders. “I’m just picky, okay?”  He huffs and looks away from the other.

“No! N-no, actually I think that’s really cool.” Seunghyun’s voice sounds slightly panicked and it’s enough for Jiyong to look back at him with furrowed brows. Cool? The older is staring at the table, picking at the side of his menu. “Y-you even make coffee exactly to your style, that’s, uh, that’s neat.”

Jiyong just stares at him, not sure how to respond to the attempted consolation.

Seunghyun’s face is noticeably redder than before and the younger feels a really odd and foreign tweak inside his chest.

It’s like Seunghyun’s going out of his absolute way to make sure Jiyong doesn’t grow in to a foul mood. If the coffee didn’t do the trick, Jiyong definitely does feel like a bit of a now. Despite this, he looks down at his own menu, muttering, “It’s just coffee, man.” – trying desperately to maintain the casualness and ignorance he’s been putting towards Seunghyun this whole while.

Seeing Seunghyun’s face fall and having the older duck his head a little lower at Jiyong’s comment leaves the boy with a sinking feeling in his gut. Wow, I really am a . He thinks.

He has to remind himself that in the long run, Seunghyun not liking him and breaking the marriage very willingly will free both of them – and so, Jiyong knows he’s doing the right thing here. Stay distant. 

 

They sit in silence from that point onwards, as Jiyong deliberately brings out his phone and taps at it incessantly – inwardly cringing at his own blatant rudeness, until their respective coffees arrive (Jiyong’s later than Seunghyun’s evidently).

When they’re asked what they’d like to eat, Jiyong is reminded of how hungry he actually is, and his stomach grumbles embarrassingly loud. He quickly puts one hand over it and sneaks a look at Seunghyun. The older seems to be hiding a smile of amusement under his hand. “Hungry?” He quirks, one dimple appearing on his right cheek.

Jiyong is taken aback by the playfulness and sinks further in to his seat, face growing hot, and crosses his arms across his abdomen. Seunghyun should not be allowed to smirk, he decides, glancing pointedly at the menu. And I thought he was in a bad mood because of me!? Jiyong is frustrated by the man’s actions, and confused beyond compare. There’s no way anyone – not even Youngbae – would put up with how bratty he’s acting.

Maybe Seunghyun’s being promised some huge ing shares if he marries me? Jiyong ponders on it whilst the confusing man orders. There’s no way that he’s treating Jiyong this well out of the goodness of his heart.

“I’ll take the Sesame toast and poached eggs with avocado, please.” Seunghyun’s voice snaps him back to reality and Jiyong helplessly looks down at the menu, realizing that he hasn’t properly looked at it once.

“Make that two.” He says suddenly, too lazy to read through the extensive list in front of him. He glances opposite him and Seunghyun is smiling the waiter off with a sugar-coated thank you. It perplexes him further.

Is he always so nice? Jiyong feels a little bitter thinking about it, probably due to the fact that being around Seunghyun has just made him feel like an absolute . He’s immediately reminded of the dislike he has built up for the guy – that’s he’s so perfect and so much better than Jiyong, in almost all aspects.

It makes Jiyong think that perhaps that’s why he isn’t freaking out about the whole marriage thing too – that he has to retain his ‘perfect’ image for everyone. This makes a lot more sense to the younger than that of Seunghyun actually being sweet and lovely all the ing time.

A tense kind of silence stretches over them as Jiyong considers the older. He can tell Seunghyun is squirming under his odd scrutiny but he’s beyond the point of caring now. And maybe, just a little, Jiyong’s likes how he’s able to easily fluster other.

He looks away when Seunghyun catches his eyes – goddamn that stare is intense, feeling like he’ll lose some of his self-proclaimed power if the eye-contact remains. Jiyong thinks he’s always had a bit of an upper-hand complex, anyway. It irks him that something about Seunghyun keeps him on edge, he can’t work the guy out and it’s frustrating.

There’s a sense of absolute relief when their food comes because he actually has a reason to not focus on Seunghyun.

But when he cuts the loaded piece of toast and takes a bite his mouth immediately twists downwards once again.

Ew. Avocado. Jiyong has always been affiliated against the mushy green food, and now he is staring down at his very green and mushy plate with a horrified expression. Should have actually listened to what Seunghyun ordered, idiot.

He doesn’t want to go as far as throw a fit over the food he clearly ordered himself willingly – Seunghyun will just think Jiyong’s trying to make up reasons to have a bad time – which isn’t necessarily false, but still. 

Scrunching up his nose, Jiyong thinks it up and grimaces as he swallows the bite down with force.

“S-so you’re doing music right?” Seunghyun interrupts Jiyong’s avocado dilemma with a hesitant, quiet voice. The younger blinks across at him with widened eyes, slightly taken aback. Seunghyun looks rather embarrassed, eyes downcast and fingers twiddling with the fork in his hand.

Jiyong nods slowly, “Yeah, uh, composition major – producing and ,” Music. He can talk about that. That’s comfortable – but is Seunghyun even interested? Isn’t he just trying to make conversation? Jiyong eyes him curiously as the older eats another bite before responding. He sits up straight.

“Ah, what genre do you write in, mostly?” Seunghyun asks, with eyes sparked in clear and bright interest. Jiyong looks away, wondering why he’s feeling so bashful at the close attention today. Odd, because Jiyong is usually always at the core and centre of most things, he lives for it, rather.

He thinks for a moment, pausing the kind-of conversation. “I guess – a bit of everything?” Jiyong twiddles his thumbs around each other, “Like I haven’t set boundaries for myself. Rap, mostly, with hip hop, rock, electronic stuff, just general pop – I like to experiment.” He finishes in an unsure mumble, feeling like he’s given too much of himself when he could have just given a short, straight answer to Seunghyun and have ended it there.

But, something about the way Seunghyun’s eyes light up makes Jiyong want to talk more and more – just to see how the older reacts to it.

Jiyong feels like he’s unconsciously begun to try and unravel Seunghyun in these past twenty minutes, size him up and discover who he is – even though he desperately wants nothing to do with the guy. He interests me, Jiyong realizes. I just don’t get him.

He watches the older smile at his answer, and feels his head grow a little larger in size, “That sounds really great-” Seunghyun pauses whilst pursing his lips, and Jiyong can’t help but like the way the dimples dent his cheeks. Am I staring too much, again?

“I might not look like it, but I’m really big on music – like huge, actually.” Jiyong’s eyes widen a little in surprise by their own accord. Seeing this reaction the man scratches at his temple and chuckles timidly. “Yeah I know I might have a more boring lifestyle-”

The younger can’t help but let out a snort at that, “you don’t say”, and Seunghyun actually doesn’t seem to get offended – in fact he simply smiles a bit wider at Jiyong and it unsettles the boy greatly. He clearly recalls having a large upper hand over the individual in front of him and took great pleasure in reducing him in to a blushing little boy – but now Seunghyun’s just smiling?

“Yeah,” Seunghyun laughs again, “But-” he pats at his pocket and Jiyong looks to see something silver poking out of it slightly “there’s not a time where my iPod isn’t right here.”

Jiyong presses his lips together and squints at the other, “Well, music is universal.” Seunghyun nods in agreement before Jiyong smirks as he continues, “But the question is what kind you have stacked in there. I’m curious, now. What’s your most played song?”

“You’d be surprised.” It sounds like a promise as Seunghyun takes the device from his pocket and dabs at it – quick to follow Jiyong’s orders, again.

The other boy raises one eyebrow high on his forehead. “Try me.”

He’s eyes Seunghyun carefully as the other deflates slightly when he apparently finds his most played track – Jiyong can already smell his own triumph. He smirks and leans over the table a bit, “What is it then? Michael Bublé?  Sinatra?”

Seunghyun narrows his eyes at the jest, “I’m not that old, I assure you.”

Jiyong rolls his eyes and clicks his tongue impatiently. “Hurry, c’mon.”

“Ah, it’s a bit old now I think,” Seunghyun hesitates, “It’s Blood On The Leaves.”

After a short pause and a few blank blinks, Jiyong actually falls back in to his seat with a sharp laugh, “Bull,” He sniggers and Seunghyun actually looks a bit affronted by the reaction. Jiyong straightens up and stares at him hard, “No ing way.” His disbelief only heightens when Seunghyun turns the iPod around to display the little screen and all Jiyong needs to see is the YEEZUS album cover and he’s completely bowled over.

“Kanye.” He says it out loud but is still shocked by the words coming out of his own mouth. “You’re in to Kanye?”  Jiyong stares at Seunghyun with large, rounded eyes and a feeling of something akin to very impressed growing inside of him.

Seunghyun seems highly amused as he shakes the iPod in front of Jiyong. “This friend is probably 60% Kanye, actually. And then everything else is pretty much Rap, too.” Jiyong’s eyes only widen further at this and Seunghyun looks as if he’s holding in huge bouts of laughter. “Yes, I like rap. I told you you’d be surprised.”

“I hate to admit it, but I’m really ing impressed right now.” Jiyong can’t control his word vomit as he continues staring at Seunghyun curiously as if he’s seeing the guy for the very first time. Music really is universal.

Seunghyun blushes at the younger boy’s words, and Jiyong simply can’t figure out if he’s shy or playful – or maybe it’s possible for him to be both? Who also listens to rap? And runs a big fancy company that practically rules over the country? The boy thinks his head’s about to swim with all of these perplexing discoveries.

“Good.” Seunghyun says finally, looking down at his fingers and gnawing at the inside of his cheek. “I-I wanted to at least try to make you despise me a-and this whole thing a little less.” Jiyong feels the atmosphere freeze in to seriousness much too quickly with Seunghyun’s words. It makes him want to shrivel up and then punch himself in the face.

He might’ve disliked Seunghyun before actually talking to him and he might find his perfection greatly irritating, but the guy is as helpless as Jiyong is in the long run, it’s not his fault their stuck in this – and he actually seems nice, Jiyong admits to himself with difficulty.

“What – what the hell, dude, I don’t despise you-” Jiyong raises his hands up in defence but Seunghyun cuts him off with a deep little laugh.

“Well you despise the idea of marrying me.” The older says with finality and Jiyong is silent because that he can’t argue with. The tiny sad smile on Seunghyun’s lips makes Jiyong think as if he should feel guilty somehow. But why the should he? Of course he hates the thought of marriage – it would ruin all of his life goals and possible future prospects and- wait.

‘The idea of marrying me’ Jiyong’s eyes widen as he realizes that Seunghyun probably thinks the reason he’s so against the arrangement is because his husband would be Seunghyun. He shakes his head quickly, “No, I just hate the idea of marriage right now. It wouldn’t matter who it’s with.”

Seunghyun only nods at this, not reacting at all too much and Jiyong thinks maybe he was wrong about the older’s feelings, again. “That’s why I don’t want this to be any harder on yo- I mean, on us” Seunghyun says, “Don’t you think it would be easier if we get along a little?”

And no, Jiyong actually came here thinking the exact ing opposite. He scrunches up his nose. “That’s stupid. If we get along then there’s not even a valid reason for our dads to reconsider this. I don’t want to take any chances.” Jiyong shrugs noncommittally.

Seunghyun is looking at him with puzzled eyes. “But we’re getting along now, right?”

With the question posed and with a growing sense of dread, Jiyong realizes Yes, but , we shouldn’t be,– he’d gotten too distracted and had actually forgotten to lash out at Seunghyun every now and then. He’s supposed to hate you by now, .

In a panicked state of mind, Jiyong narrows his eyes and frowns at the other, “Um, not really?” Seunghyun returns his frown and Jiyong ignores the action as he continues, “Just because you might listen to artists I like and you buy me food doesn’t mean we’re suddenly the best of friends.”

“But-”

“Speaking of food, I’m sick of sitting here, so you should take care of the bill right about now. I’m going outside for a smoke.” Without another word, Jiyong keeps the stony expression on his face as he swiftly abandons the older at the table and ignores the deep voice calling after him. He must think I’m ing bipolar. Jiyong grimaces as he exits the cafe, finding purchase on the brick walls that line the sides of it as he takes out a cigarette.

The bitter taste in his mouth a long with the guilty conscience consuming his brain is only simmered down when he closes his eyes and allows himself to bask in the first deep inhale of smoke. This is for the better. This is how it’s supposed to be.

 

 

 

 

Seunghyun’s car smells heavily of nicotine on the ride back home.

Jiyong hasn’t given him more than a word or a grunt ever since the end of their disastrous little lunch date. And Seunghyun can see the boy tapping away at his phone in the passenger seat.  He’s bloody confused.

The older had genuinely felt like he was kind of, almost getting to know Jiyong back there – like Jiyong was actually allowing his iciness to melt and make way for the burst of warm energy and creativity that Seunghyun has so long admired him for.  He was sure they had been having a nice, playful conversation.

But apparently he had been very wrong. Apparently Jiyong had simply been  bored enough to just go along with whatever Seunghyun was saying whilst still hating the fact that he had been stuck there with the older.

It makes Seunghyun feel embarrassed that he had tried so hard to make amends with the kid, only to find out that Jiyong must have just been humouring his lame attempts at conversation this whole time. His cheeks burn at the thought and the idea of never seeing the boy next to him runs across his mind.

Yet, Seunghyun is hopeless. He still wants to spend time with Jiyong, wants to find out more and more about the boy – find some way to make him smile a little, to make him like Seunghyun just the tiniest bit. The older feels that if he gives up now, then he’ll never get any other chance to even talk to Jiyong again.

And for some stupid reason, Seunghyun prefers this awkward and tense situation with Jiyong rather than going back to Jiyong not knowing of his existence. I’m pathetic, he thinks with a frown.

His inner dilemmas are brought to a pause as Jiyong suddenly speaks up, “You can just drop me to the left of the road there.” Seunghyun slowly presses down on the break and squints at where Jiyong’s skinny, decorated finger is pointing. His frown deepens.

“Your house is on the next right though?”

Jiyong rolls his eyes and lets out a scoff. Seunghyun’s eyes widen as the younger suddenly unbuckles his seatbelt. “Yeah, like I’m going back to that jail. I can duck and roll if you want.” He’s reaching for the door when Seunghyun panics and slams the brake down hard. He watches in puzzlement as Jiyong smirks whilst proceeding to jar the car door open.

Seunghyun bursts, “W-wait! Where are you going? Won’t your dad get worried?”

The younger rolls his eyes again before answering sourly, “To a friend’s, why? You’re gonna snitch on me? Go the ahead.” He steps out of the car and Seunghyun panics further.

“N-no! That’s not-”

“Thanks for lunch, man.” Jiyong finally calls out before shutting the door and Seunghyun’s words are cut short. What do I do? Seunghyun wonders helplessly as he watches Jiyong’s back walking down some unknown road.

He’s a grown adult and he can care for himself. But the thought doesn’t quell Seunghyun, who’s mind is jumbled with worry and Jiyong as he steers back towards his own house.

 


 

When he’s about two minutes from reaching Youngbae’s place, Jiyong feels his phone buzz. He doesn’t know what he’s expecting when he checks the message but it’s definitely not Seunghyun’s name. Frowning in confusion, he looks behind him – Seunghyun’s car is gone. What does he want now?

Jiyong swipes the message open, reading:

Please text me when you reach your friend’s house. Stay safe.

And suddenly feeling like the biggest on earth.

He stops walking, chewing on his lower lip as he contemplates whether to reply to the sweet as ing god message which he doesn’t understand because why would Seunghyun be worried about a brat who ruined their lunch together, anyway?

 

 


 

Seunghyun is walking through his front door, already looking through his phone when the reply comes. His eyes spark at Jiyong’s name and he hadn’t even been expecting the younger to read the loser-like text he’d just sent, let alone reply. Just when he’s about to open it, his eyes widen in disbelief as the device in his hands sounds once more to indicate another text coming through – from Jiyong as well.

He’s almost afraid to open the messages as he taps on them with his thumb, heart beat increasing ridiculously.

1:30      From: Jiyong
i just got here, mum. alive.


Seunghyun holds his breath, feeling a little sense of relief calming his pathetic nerves.

 

1:31      From: Jiyong
also i ing hate avocado. next time i’m choosing where to go


The replies are crude and sardonic and so very expected of Jiyong but Seunghyun is too busy trying to bite in to the smile growing on his face as the two little words ‘next time’ float about his head and ring in his ears. Jiyong is willing to see him again.

It's not all that much, but Seunghyun's heart bounds and swells with hope, his sense of defeat begins to deconstruct and it is only replaced by a small anxiety and anticipation of what can possibly come - all under the promise of next time.

 


 

a/n: and so begins the terrible update trackrecord, sigh. this chapter was so hard to write and ugh i just want to have fluffly lunch date but then that would be out of character and context for jiyong the brat --- anyway some development!!!!!!