opposites

A Wildflower

a/n: sorry if this is confusing. pov switching and weird time jumps and some unanswered questions ughnnnnnnn lol anyway please do not judge too hard everything is plot development, even if its ridiculous and unrealistic



 

 

“What the do you mean I’m getting married?”

Mr. Kwon Yong Hwan adjusts the thin glasses perched on his nose and frowns deeply. “Language, Jiyong.”

Jiyong doesn’t flinch - he scoffs loudly, eyes rolling to the ceiling. This has to be some sick ing joke. There is no possible reality where Jiyong can actually envision this happening. He crosses his arms and squares his father with a narrow-eyed glare. “Nice one, dad. Can I go now?”

Mr. Kwon sighs, standing up from his large desk chair. Jiyong taps his foot impatiently against the floor and the chains of his boots clink and break the silence. Hurry
up, old man.

“Choi and I have had this partnership planned since you were just three years old, Jiyong.” Kwon says this as if it’s meant to give reason to the utter nonsense that he is otherwise spouting.

Jiyong snaps – again. “How, the is that my problem!?”

Kwon holds his hands up at Jiyong’s outburst with his palms facing outwards and a stern expression on his face. “Now, Jiyong-”

“So, you decided to sell me off when I was still ting in diapers, well now I’m a ing
adult and I’m saying this is complete bull. You can’t legally do this.” Jiyong’s fists are clenched, his chest is heaving as he hollers at his dad’s seemingly peaceful expression. No way in hell.

Kwon shakes his head, tsking under his breath and it only aggravates Jiyong further. “Well, you certainly aren’t acting like an adult right now,”

Jiyong rolls his eyes again, throwing his hands up in the air in frustration, “Oh come off it, old man-”

A hand smacks against the glass desk that separates them inside his dad’s prestigious office. Kwon finally looks somewhat angry, he’s obviously worked up and Jiyong takes it as a small victory. “This is
not negotiable, Kwon Jiyong. This alliance is in your complete best interest-”

“Bullcrap, you’re selling me for business, I’m just a ing transaction!”

“The Choi’s son is a good man; he’s going to become CEO soon. He’ll get your life on track-”

“My life doesn’t need fixing, when will you get that!?” Jiyong’s voice is straining now, he can’t believe this is happening. How in the hell is this his actual life? “You can’t make me do this.” He can’t possibly. Jiyong is an adult – he’s twenty-five years old for crying out loud. It’s been a long time since he could be legally pushed around by father dearest.

His dad, however, doesn’t seem to be thinking the same way. Kwon’s angered frown lines seem to have smoothed out from his face and he’s seemingly and miraculously calmed down from their argument in moments. He settles back down in his seat – as if he’s already won – and a sinking feeling finds its way in to Jiyong’s gut as the man calmly folds his hands under his chin.

“Listen here, son-” Kwon starts leisurely. Jiyong braces himself. “If you don’t go through with this – you’re going to law school.”

No. What the . No way. Jiyong draws back as if he’s been struck hard on the chest. His heart is beating in the same fashion and the feeling inside his stomach twists in to an acute nausea. “You can’t-”

“No more fees to your little music college, no more internships with labels – I’ll end
all of it.” Jiyong is frozen in place. “If you refuse, you can say goodbye to music, Jiyong.”


 


“! !” Jiyong slams his bedroom door shut so hard that the hinges seem to shake along with the walls around it. His father’s threats are pounding inside his ears as he storms to his desk, roughly kicking aside the shoes and objects that are splayed on the floor.

Jiyong’s hands are trembling; his whole person is entrenched with fury as he scrambles to find the little white box – he desperately needs a smoke. He manages to get his fingers around the packet, shoves it inside his jacket pocket and in a flurry, heads outside towards the exit.

Who the hell does he think he is? Trying to threaten me like that!? The bastard. Jiyong’s head is dizzy with angry thoughts as he steps outside in to the chilly day. He slides his phone open, balancing an unlit cigarette in the other hand as he hits speed dial.

I need to get out of here.

He’s barely managing to light his with shaky fingers when the voice he’s waiting for finally comes through.

“Ji-?”

Jiyong breathes out heavily, “Youngbae I need you to get me. Just come herenow, I’ll explain later.”

 

 

 

 

“You’re getting married?” Youngbae asks with wide eyes and an incredulous tone. After picking Jiyong up, and partially calming him down, he’s driven them to his apartment. Cigarette smoke dominates the air around them as the two boys lean against the balcony.

Jiyong scowls. “No. , I don’t know.” He groans and drops his head low in frustration. Instantly, there’s a hand on his back, rubbing soothing circles.

He can imagine the confused frown on Youngbae’s face, “Why, though? I don’t get it-”

“For money.” Jiyong says it simply, fixing his best friend with a bored expression, “Same reason noona was married off, remember? He wants to seal some business alliance with Choi industries that he made god knows when.”

Youngbae still looks lost. Jiyong thinks that he’s much too sober for this conversation right now. “But – Dami actually liked the guy? Can’t your dad fix it some other way?”

Jiyong snorts and shakes his head. “The bastard says this’ll ‘sort my life out’ or some . As in he wants to ruin my life personally.” Youngbae sighs and retracts his hand from Jiyong, turning to stare at the city before them with his eyebrows knitted.

“That’s ed.”

Jiyong hums in mild agreement around the cigarette between his lips.

Youngbae continues, “Wait – Choi industries – As in Choi Seunghyun?” Jiyong doesn’t say anything, only rolls his eyes at the awe in his friend’s voice. “You’re getting married to the Choi Seunghyun!?”

Jiyong flicks the end of his bud at Youngbae’s shoes, grimacing as the shorter yells out in protest when the little, hot black specks and sparks fly towards him. “Well, I’m glad someone’s happy about it.”

“I didn’t mean it like that, idiot-” Youngbae clucks his tongue, shoving Jiyong’s shoulder. He pauses, “But still, wow, Choi Seunghyun. The girls are all going to kill you.”

At all the business meetings and gatherings and galas that Jiyong’s been forcibly dragged to in his life, Choi Seunghyun’s been there to make the night worse than Jiyong had originally imagined. Not only did he have to sit through the boring- events, but the model son would be there and because of that, his dad would never stop giving him ear-fulls of: “Wow, Seunghyun is so polite”, “Why can’t you be more like Seunghyun?” “Look at how handsome he is, none of those cheap piercings that you have.” “You know he already owns a business at his age?” Well, good for ing Choi Seunghyun.

In this way, Jiyong’s developed a deeply ingrained distaste for the guy – who he’s only probably exchanged greetings with twice, ever – he seems like any other business-orientated without a life. Only, Jiyong begrudgingly admits, one that has an exceptionally nice face to look at.
Perhaps that’s another reason why Jiyong is even further annoyed by the man.

He rolls his eyes again, “Wouldn’t all the girls be killing him on my behalf? Shouldn’t he be wow’d that he’s marrying the Kwon Jiyong?”

“Conceited little prick.” Jiyong snickers at the insult and Youngbae smirks, “So you are marrying him, then?” He groans in pain as Jiyong nudges an elbow in to his ribs.

“No. Well, I don’t want to-” Jiyong frowns. “But, I don’t have a choice, do I?” The comment makes Youngbae look at him sadly and Jiyong hates the pity of it. He clenches his fists tightly.

“What if we get Blo Hyung to make you a permanent at YG? I swear they’d want you there-”

Jiyong shakes his head abruptly. “Nope. There’s like twenty other guys like me trying to get the spot and you know if I don’t work my way properly from the bottom, it won’t mean anything. I’d hate producing if I thought I got it because of connections.”

Youngbae smiles ruefully. “Such a hero. Well, Dami noona could pay for the internship?”

“What about uni?” Jiyong throws back, shaking his head once more. “Noona already has a kid and a company to worry about herself; I’m not going to put this on her. , I’m such a nuisance. My music degree’s not even finished, I won’t be able to get a job that pays well enough for the fees, , dad will make sure I won’t.”

Jiyong can’t even comprehend how well the old geezer’s planned this whole thing out. If he wants to pursue his dream of producing music, he’ll just have to agree to the marriage. There’s no way around it. He’s not going to take money from anyone else because he wouldn’t be able to repay it by himself. Jiyong may be a bit of a recluse, but he’s got ing morals, after all.

He’s stuck.

Youngbae squeezes his shoulder in comfort. He takes a long drag of his cigarette, cursing under his breath.

“ this, man. I need to get drunk, fast.”



 

the next day

“I’ve tried his phone about ten times, Mr. Choi, I have no idea what he’s up to, I’m so sorry. I informed him about our meeting through text yesterday but he never replied that, either.”

Seunghyun squirms uncomfortably in the large cushioned chair at Mr. Kwon’s frantic apologies and phone calls. With Jiyong’s absence, his gut sinks further in awkwardness and slight concern.

His father, sitting beside him, voices this. “I hope he’s alright, Yong Hwan. Why don’t you call his friends?”

Mr. Kwon smiles at the pair reassuringly but Seunghyun can see the fakeness of its stretch. He smiles back nonetheless. “He’s fine. And I’ll call their parents if I have to.” Choi and Kwon both chuckle at this and Seunghyun continues to smile politely, unable to stop wondering about Jiyong’s whereabouts and if maybe this awkward meeting was a horrible idea.

You’re marrying the guy, Seunghyun; you’re going to have to meet him sometime. Seunghyun can’t help but bite a smile back at the thought of it, his stomach tying in nervous and excited knots. Marrying Jiyong.

For as long as Seunghyun can remember, Kwon Jiyong has been his complete opposite. Where Seunghyun has always been, “Yes, dad” “Of course, dad” “Whatever you wish”, Jiyong was always the kid who could be heard yelling and screaming and complaining from the other end of the room, scrambling away from his father’s grasp and running to steal some adult food from other tables or to pinch other children’s shiny toys, bored with his own.

Seunghyun would always find himself watching the vibrant boy in quiet awe; admiring his confidence and spirit whole heartedly. Jiyong has always stood out this way – shines in Seunghyun’s point of view.

He always took this feeling as nothing more than a healthy admiration – a habit to find Jiyong in a crowd and keep his attention there, simply because Jiyong is interesting and different.

This all transformed a week ago, when he was informed that he, Choi Seunghyun would be marrying Kwon Jiyong.

Out of everyone in the world, it had to be Jiyong – Seunghyun suspected someone had to have been playing tricks on him.

But it was all serious and all business, and it was happening soon, from what he knew – a month at length – and Seunghyun couldn’t quite grasp how Jiyong had managed to so quickly become something other than just a bright face on the other end of the room.

However, the most shocking aspect of all of it was that Seunghyun realized he was not just accepting of his dad’s choice, but he was actually excited. He was all butterflies and bright eyes for the whole day until he properly figured out what it all meant – he, somehow, has come to like Jiyong.

Seunghyun isn’t sure of the emotion there, it may be just a small crush – the classic shy boy crushing on the bad boy story – but whatever he felt, it was there and it was enough to reduce him in to a sweaty wreck at the thought of Jiyong walking through that door and seeing him at any moment.

Sure, Seunghyun has been built in to this great business man to-be-CEO and he’s had countless confessions and even a few relationships, but he, himself, to most people’s disbelief, is very quiet and reserved – and quite awkward with people.

He’s actually afraid that he’s too quiet and boring for someone like Jiyong.

Seunghyun is aware of the boy’s eccentric hair and fashion – last time he saw the other, his head was a flash of platinum blonde in a sea of brown and black – and the fact that he majors in music, it’s all universes apart from Seunghyun’s clean cut boxed office and crisp suits and white shirts.

But to his surprise, for some odd reason, Jiyong’s agreed and now Seunghyun’s here, sitting in the boy’s living room with his knee bouncing uncontrollably.

As Mr. Kwon and his dad begin discussing something about the recent tax increase, Seunghyun takes the time to look around the room they’re seated in.

Although the Kwon’s company is not as prestigious and well known as Choi Industries, they are well known for being loaded. Seunghyun can see that clearly as the living room is all grand interior decor and fine china. He’s used to these kinds of settings now, so he’s not at all dazzled, but he can appreciate the intent.

There are fancy gold and silver picture frames lining the large walls and Seunghyun cranes his neck slightly to view the people in the photos.

One is clearly of Jiyong as a child, eyes in adorable half-moons and mouth very wide in a near-toothless smile. Seunghyun finds it so endearing and decides to go ahead and curiously pick out Jiyong in each of the photos – the adult’s chatter fading in to the background as he does.

It’s when he’s smiling at a snapshot of Jiyong and sister playing on the beach with a wrinkle puppy that the door is suddenly open and a flash of jet black and leather, quite literally, trips and stumbles inside the room.

Suddenly, Seunghyun is looking at the very much present Kwon Jiyong. And he can only gape.

His shirt is crumpled and riding up at the back, his jacket is hanging from one shoulder messily, his black hair is wild about his head and his tight, tight leather pants attract enough attention to his assets that Seunghyun has to look away out of politeness, with a strong blush flooding in to his face.

Even in such a state, he finds Jiyong attractive.

Mr. Kwon obviously does not agree.

He stands up as soon as his son falls in to the room, and Seunghyun can practically see the steam leaving his ears. It doesn’t help that with Jiyong came a strong stench of cigarette smoke and booze. Seunghyun has to wrinkle his nose because of it.

Kwon Jiyong. What is the meaning of this!?” Mr. Kwon is speaking through his teeth, obviously trying not to explode in front of guests. Seunghyun feels incredibly intrusive and looks pointedly at his feet, fidgeting to himself.

What a swell first meeting.

“’Sup, old man.” Jiyong says in a very roughed up and worn voice, probably from his obvious night out, and Seunghyun sneaks a look to see him nodding a casual head at his father. He’s screwed, Seunghyun thinks, filling with dread.

What’s up!? Where on earth have you been? Do you have any shame? There are guests here.” Mr. Kwon finally erupts with anger, and Seunghyun jumps at the yelling. He looks over at his dad, but is surprised to see him looking very calm and collected.

He stands up and puts a hand on Mr. Kwon’s shoulder. “It’s alright, Yong Hwan, I know how kids can be these days.” Kwon shakes his head and bows in apology.

“I’m so sorry about this, I promise he’s usually not-”

Meanwhile, Jiyong is swaying on the spot dangerously and Seunghyun unconsciously lifts a concerned hand when the boy tips a little too far to the right, only to stumble a little and then stand up straight again. Seunghyun retracts his hand.

Jiyong runs a hand through his hair, “Can we please do this some other day? I’m like, exhausted and not gonna lie – bloody hung-over, so-”

No, Jiyong. Now, greet Mr. Choi and Seunghyun properly.”

Seunghyun freezes at that. He can feel his palms growing sweaty as Jiyong rolls his kohl-smudged eyes and then bows to Mr. Choi, muttering a greeting. Something about it irks Seunghyun – rude, he thinks.

But he can’t ponder on Jiyong’s attitude any longer when the boy turns to him with hazy brown eyes and a weary expression. Seunghyun flushes and bows his head, politely greeting him and then keeping his eyes on the ground because the eye-contact got him all nervous and intimidated.

He hears Jiyong greet him back – in that same half-assed mumble and he nods his head one more time.

Mr. Kwon sends Jiyong to his room for a shower – “ten minutes maximum, or else”, and Seunghyun is left in the living room with his own thoughts.

Suddenly, Jiyong doesn’t seem all that bright and alluring and perfect – he kind of looked like a wreck, just then, even if he was attractive, his attitude really wasn’t. And also, he didn’t seem all that eager to meet him nor his dad, so does that mean he doesn’t want to marry Seunghyun?

Seunghyun’s excitement and butterflies have been reduced to a feeling of disappointment and insecurity by the time Jiyong returns, fresh and clean but still with a very much displeased look upon his face.

He knew this marriage had seemed too good to be true.

 

 

 

a/n: omg im not even going to read over this so much cring e   but oh well