Lower and Upper Wishlist

A Wishlist of a Fearless Genius

If he had something called a wishlist, he would have put 'failing in math exam' on the latest page, with a red tint, with the smallest font he could write.

And now he have to scratch on that lowest list as he finally achieved it.

 

Failing in a math exam is usually not a big deal to teenagers these days. They would be like 'oh, geez, I failed, what should I do' with a fake sad face, or maybe 'lol failed again, what's new. It's math, dude!'

But that's not Junmyeon's thing. Man, he's a notable student because of his good achievements at school. And why is he failing his math exam in his last year at school? Why is he putting a dirty black tint, writing 'failed on the math exam at July 4th' on his perfect clean Unfortunate Events at School book? Why did he do that?

 

He went to the coffee shop right after the school ends, parking his bicycle in front of the shop, walking in and welcomed by the soothing scent of coffee. He walk straight to his favourite spot, a table with two single white couch in the corner which has the shop's signature garden as a view. The barista knows him well, Kim Minseok is Junmyeon's friend in Taekwondo Club, and Minseok will make him an Americano once he saw Junmyeon entering the shop.

 

“Hey,” Minseok said as he props himself on the couch across Junmyeon's. He put the coffee on the table and start studying his friend's expression. “Finally got something to write in your book of Unfortunate Events at School?”

Junmyeon merely gave Minseok a slight smile, still throwing a blank stare to the garden.

“Hey, I've told you million times that--”

“People would be on their lowest level at times. I know that, Minseok.” Junmyeon immediately cut Minseok's words, sighing.

“So why are you like this? C'mon, don't think too much about whatever it is.”

“It's not about the thing I finally wrote in my goddamn unreal book. I have finally accepted that I didn't do my best, so it equals the result.”

“So?” Minseok raised one of his eyebrows. Junmyeon always find his friend attractive, especially his eyes, he always wonder why Minseok doesn't have any girlfriend yet.

“I'm going to France soon, staying for up to a month, I have to join my last competition.”

Minseok is the calmest person that ever existed, at least that's what Junmyeon think. Junmyeon knew that his friend was surprised, he could see it from how Minseok responded by the word “What??”

But Minseok still have his calm and peaceful expression on him. That's why Junmyeon often frown at Minseok's condolences, it seems like he is faking it, but no, Minseok has never faked any of his feelings and expressions.

“When?” Minseok asked.

“I will leave in a week.”

“Have you told Hyewon, yet?”

Junmyeon shook his head, Minseok finally knew what's behind his friend's gloomy face.

“Why haven't you told her?”

“I just don't know how... being so careless as always, I just remembered that the day I leave is also the day of our fourth anniversary.”

“Man, that's why I told you to use that freaking calendar in your phone to remind you of important events.”

“I know.”

Minseok sighed. “Do you need a help?”

“You know how?”

“Hey, when did you start doubting my help?” Minseok threw a light punch to Junmyeon's arm, laughing in his signature calm way, making Junmyeon smiled again as he say his thousandth thanks to his friend.

 

Junmyeon's life seems so well organized, every time he reaches home, he will do the same thing respectively everyday. Coming in, putting his shoes on the rack neatly, going to the kitchen to get some water, taking a bath, making a dish, eating and watching educative TV shows, reading, texting Hyewon, and sleep.

But today, texting Hyewon seems so terrifying to him, he didn't know what Minseok's plan was, he's afraid that Hyewon will text him in CAPSLOCK and !!!! everywhere after knowing that he will leave on their fourth anniversary, so he purposely put his phone on the corner of his desk in silent mode without any vibration. Yeah, Junmyeon's a cowardly, he admit that.

 

It's already D-1 before Junmyeon's departure to France, but neither Minseok or Hyewon gave him any texts or informations. Junmyeon starts getting panic and curious about what's actually happening.

Hyewon's only message was 2 days ago, and it was only, 'Hey, heard that you're going to France, why don't you tell me? I knew this from Baekhyun, that noisy guy at school. When is it?'

But of course Junmyeon still haven't got the guts to tell her, he may be smart but he's just too dumb when he starts using his feeling. Hyewon is more than patient for surviving with him in their relationship until 4 years. Moreover, he's still waiting for Minseok to tell him about his help that he has mentioned a week ago.

 

Fortunately, he bumped to Minseok when he went to a bookshop.

“Minseok! For God's sake, where have you been! Why were you lost, why didn't you work?I have been looking for you. It's D-1 already.” Junmyeon said with half-anger and half-curiosity, groping Minseok's arm strongly.

“Ouch, that hurts, dude. Let go.” Minseok brushed Junmyeon's hands off of his arm. “I'm sorry, I got so many tasks to do, college tasks. That's why I couldn't manage to go to the coffee shop, neither did I start helping you to tell her the truth.”

“Like seriously, Kim Minseok??”

“I'm so sorry, Junmyeon. The tasks choke me a lot, I'm here to find some reference for my tasks, for your info. Why don't you try to tell her by yourself?”

“Minseok, you know me.”

“You have to start changing it, dude. You're a genius lad, you can do anything, but why can't you tell your own girlfriend about your departure?”

“She has known it already. From Baekhyun, remember that noisy guy I once dragged to the coffee shop?”

Minseok paused for a while to remember, their coffee shop has too much customers, he can't remember them all. But then he clicked his tongue, “Ah, that baby-faced-- no, that childish guy.”

“Yup. I think Baekhyun got this news from somewhere and innocently spilled it out on Hyewon.”

“So? Problem solved!” Minseok clapped both his hands together.

“No, Minseok, the problem is the departure date.”

“What's with the departure date?” A shocking voice suddenly came, nearly torning Junmyeon into two, he turned around and got confused Hyewon behind him.

“When will you leave? Why aren't you telling me anything?” Hyewon crossed her arms, looking straight to the petrified Junmyeon.

But Junmyeon was not actually petrified. He was studying Hyewon's face, something's different with it from the last time he met her, which was a week ago. Junmyeon and Hyewon are just too busy with their stuffs so that they couldn't meet often just like the other couple.

Hyewon's face is just too pale, that's not normal.

“Are you okay?” Junmyeon asked seriously.

“What? Of course not, you're hiding something from me. Is not meeting often not bad enough for you? Should you add it with hiding something from me?”

“No, no, it's not that. Are you sick? You're so pale.” Junmyeon caressed her cheek, as if he could diagnose something by doing that.

Now it's Hyewon who got petrified.

And Minseok.

“Hyewon, you're hiding it from him, too?” Minseok asked with a serious face. He has never been so scary when he's being serious.

Junmyeon immediately turned his head to Minseok and then back to Hyewon again, “Hiding what from me?”

“A-ah, it's....” Hyewon stuttered, “It's nothing.”

Minseok grabbed their wrists and dragged them out of the bookstore, “We should find a place to talk about it, not here.”

 

They arrived at the parking lot, he couldn't find any emptier place to talk without disturbing anyone.

Minseok gave them a judging look, “Should I tell your secrets that you're hiding from each other or you want to tell it by yourself?”

But no one is answering.

“Okay, no answer.” Minseok turned to look at Hyewon. “Hyewon, Junmyeon is leaving to France tomorrow, which he said is the day of your fourth anniversary.”

Hyewon gave Junmyeon a 'why didn't you tell me?' look.

And Minseok turned to look at Junmyeon, “Hey, dude. Your girlfriend is sick, like really sick. How can you don't know that? She got the lung problem, I don't know what kind of problem is that, she just told me that she got a lung problem.”

Junmyeon gasps, “Why didn't you--”

“I also have to do the surgery tomorrow, I'm sorry for hiding this from you...” Hyewon merely slouched her head down.

“A surgery? How bad is your sickness?”

Hyewon could only shake her head.

“Okay, forget about that. When is your surgery? I mean, the time.”

“8 AM.”

Junmyeon let out a heavy sigh, “Okay... I will try to be there for you.”

“Don't force yourself, it's an important competition, right?”

 

Junmyeon's flight was at 8.30 AM, he really didn't know what to do. He could just go to the hospital and companied Hyewon until 8, when the surgery started, he will leave to the airport for his departure. But leaving your girlfriend when she's having a surgery is really not nice. Even though he's dumb when it comes to feelings, but he still know what is right and what is wrong.

But the competition was really important for him, he didn't just bring the school's name on his hand, but the country. He has never been involved in such a very hard dilemma, he couldn't sleep until the sun rose and shone his room.

 

He walked weakly to get himself ready, he didn't manage to make any breakfast and merely take a sheet of bread before leaving his home and hopped into the taxi after putting all of his baggage in.

“Where are we going, sir?” Said the taxi driver.

But Junmyeon were busy zoning out, the mix of drowsiness and confusedness are such a perfect match to make him look so dumb in front of a taxi driver.

“Sir?” The driver asked again, now turning his head to make sure that his passenger was fine.

“Uh... yeah?”

“Where are we going?”

“Mmm...” Junmyeon started thinking again, hospital? Or airport? He checked his coach's message 30 minutes ago, saying that he had to arrive before 8 AM.

Junmyeon took a breath and finally decided, the taxi driver immediately drove away after getting the command. Junmyeon could only pray that his decision was the best one.

 

“Will he be here, Minseok?” Hyewon asked.

“He may be dumb when it comes to feelings, but he know what is right and what is wrong. Don't worry, Hyewon.” Minseok reached out his hand to caress her hair.

Hyewon nodded, she always believe at Minseok's word, because his words are always proven right.

“I'm going to get some bread for us, okay? You haven't eaten yet, right?”

“Yeah, hehe so hungry.”

Minseok smiled, “Okay, wait, hungry girl.” He went out to the hospital's cafeteria with smile plastered on his face.

But then a bed came along with the medical team and a critical patient, right beside him. He wasn't really care about who it was, but he finally ran to catch up with the bed when his brain has started working and telling who it was.

It was Junmyeon.

 

“What's happened to him??” Minseok asked in panic.

“It was a hit-and-run. I'm sorry, we need to take care of him.” Said one of the medical team as he walked into the emergency room and closed the door.

Minseok could only backed away and sit with an extremely shocked heart.

“What's happened...”

“Excuse me...” A deep voice came in a sudden, Minseok turned his head and saw two men in front of him, maybe cops.

“Yes?”

“Are you maybe a relative of the victim? Mr. Kim Junmyeon?” Said the taller one.

“I'm his friend actually, but can you please tell me what happened? I am Kim Minseok, by the way.”

“Ah, okay, Mr. Kim Minseok. I am Park Chanyeol from Seoul Police Department. This is Kim Jongin. We are responsible in identifying your friend's accident this morning.”

“Okay, can you tell me the point?”

“Mr. Kim Junmyeon was involved in a hit-and-run accident. Our witness, a taxi driver who was going to bring him to this hospital, said that he was going to florist across the road. But after purchasing and going across the road again, to the taxi, he got hit by a car, we have found out that it was the driver's fault because he was drunk and going through the road when the traffic lamp was red.”

“Has the driver brought to the police station?” Minseok's tone was thick with anger.

“Sure, our team is now proceeding the case.”

“And this is what we found on the location.” Said Kim Jongin as he gave Junmyeon's phone, a bucket of destroyed rose with a note in it, and Junmyeon's wallet.

“The phone is still functioning. Mr. Junmyeon's baggage in the taxi are now in the police station, it will be safe there.”

“Thank you. I will go to the police station after knowing Junmyeon's condition.”

“Thank you, sir.” Both cops bowed and left Minseok.

Minseok bowed back and start checking Junmyeon's stuffs, his wallet was complete. He start checking the phone, he's sorry to check someone's message without permission but he just had to.

Junmyeon's latest message was for his coach, saying that he will be late and maybe will miss the flight, the coach was mad but Junmyeon didn't reply the message.

“He sacrificed the competition?”

Minseok said as he look at his watch, it's almost 8.30 AM, the time of Junmyeon's flight, but his coach weren't terrorizing him with calls, maybe the coach was hopeless. Hyewon's surgery has also started, Minseok feel sorry for Junmyeon, he lost both of the important events.

“What a fearless genius.” Minseok complimented the hopeless body inside the emergency room, he moved to see the note in the flower bucket.

'Hey, Hyewon. You gotta be strong. You have been strong enough to survive with me for four years, surviving a surgery must not be hard for you! Fighting, dear! This so-called-genius dumb will always be here for you. Love, Junmyeon.'

“So-called-genius dumb.” Minseok repeated Junmyeon's word in the note and put the flower on his lap, together with other stuffs. Waiting and praying for his best friends' condition.

 

If there's someone who knew what is in the top of Junmyeon's wishlist, it is Kim Minseok. He once told Minseok that when he died someday, he really want everybody who knows him to come to the funeral. He wanted Minseok to deliver some eulogies.

Minseok merely nodded and said, 'That's a good wish, sure, I will deliver good eulogies for you.'

And Junmyeon replied, 'So start thinking what will you say, okay? Write it. That should be marvellous.'

But Minseok were just smiled and said, 'Let it be your wish until your death comes.'

 

Here he is, in the funeral of that person who asked him to deliver some eulogies. Minseok didn't manage to write any text, he really let Junmyeon's wish be a wish until his death day. He just let his feelings out, he tells everyone the good side of Junmyeon, the perks of befriending Kim Junmyeon, how can he be so dumb in spite of his genius head. He tells everyone how did he confessed to Hyewon, how did he tell his coach that he will not be in such an important competition just to company his girlfriend who's going to have a surgery, which successfully makes the coach drowned in tears.

And Minseok ended his eulogies with a sentence that he always say when someone starts doubting Junmyeon, “He may be dumb when it comes to feelings, but he know what is right and what is wrong.”

Then he smiled, “He's such a fearless genius that I've ever known and share my stories with.”

 

*END*