The Birthday Set Up

Babysitting a Delinquent

Wow, did I really just say that out loud?

Embarrassed, I excused myself into the living room and cleaned up there. As soon as I got the living room nice and tidy, I plopped myself onto the couch. I saw Jenissi walking out of the kitchen. He was looking at his phone as he walked passed me. Up until now, I still felt embarrassed by what I just told him. I just prayed he really didn’t hear me. I looked at him as he completely ignored me and went upstairs. “Hey!” I called him. This time I got him to look at me. “Did you clean the kitchen all the way?” I asked.

He just looked at me and shrugged. “You know I don’t clean.” He put his earphones back on and walked upstairs. I sighed and got up from the couch, making my way into the kitchen. When I got in, my jaw hung open. It was surprisingly clean. The mess was gone from the counter. He even wiped it spotless. The floor was squeaky clean and he even took out the trash. I was amazed. He did all this? So he did have the ability to be a responsible adult. I was happy for him. I couldn’t wait to tell his mother.

I went back to the living room and sat on the couch. Mrs. Kim should be home any minute. I sat there wondering why Jenissi’s seemed to be in a bad mood.  Why was he acting so down? It was his birthday after all. Why didn't he just go out with his friends and celebrate elsewhere? As I thought about this, Mrs. Kim came through the front door.  “Yooyoung!” She smiled as she came in.

“You’re back Mrs. Kim!” I said standing up from the couch.

“Yooyoung, is Taeyang home?” she asked.

“Yeah, he’s upstairs.”

“TAEYANG!” she yelled his name, slightly deafening me. “TAEYANG COME DOWN!”

“What?” I heard him shout from his room.

“COME DOWN!” she called again.

A few moments later, Jenissi came down. “What is it?” he groaned.

“Happy birthday my boy!” She pulled him into a hug, squeezing him tightly. He closed his eyes in discomfort. “Such a big boy!” his mom said ruffling his hair. “Are you going somewhere tonight?” she asked him.

“Nah,” he yawned. “I’m working on something upstairs.”

“What, your music?” she sighed. “Why don’t you take a break from that and go out instead! It’s your birthday! Let’s go out for dinner! We’ll go to your favorite place!”

He sighed. “Fine. I’ll go change.” He turned around and went back upstairs.

Mrs. Kim looked at me and said. “Yooyoung, come join us!”

“Oh no, I’m fine. I have to catch up on some homework. But thank you anyway,” I said taking out my car keys.

“Oh Yooyoung, always coming up with excuses,” she said putting my arm with the keys down. “Come on, it’s just dinner.”

“No really, you guys go as a family. I’m sure Taeyang would prefer that better anyway,” I assured her with a smile.

“Nonsense. It will be much better to celebrate with one of his friends. Come on, you’re going back to school soon," she exclaimed. "So what do you say?” she looked at me, expecting me to say yes. I guess I had no choice but to agree.

“Um…okay.”

“Yes!” she smiled. “Just wait here. I’ll go check on the kids and get them ready.” She left upstairs as I sat myself on the couch.

 

“Hey,” I heard someone call a while later. I turned around and saw Jenissi who changed into a different outfit. It was classier than his usual t-shirt and shorts. He wore a button up short sleeve and khaki colored pants. He even combed his hair a different way. He looked nice this way. “What are you still doing here?” he asked with his usual tone.

“Your mom invited me to have dinner with you guys," I tilted my head and smiled. "You look pretty spiffy,” I said.

He raised a brow. "Spiffy?"

I got up from the couch and fixed his collar. “Yeah, I’ve never seen you like this before.”

“My mom made me wear this,” he said.

“Well, you look nice,” I told him.

I saw him crack a smile. “You really think so? I think that’s the first compliment you gave me.”

“Well it’s your birthday so I’ll be nice to you today.”

“Just for today?" he said raising his voice. "I thought you liked me?” he added, looking straight at me. I felt my heart begin to pound against my chest. Oh no. Did he hear me? It took a while for me to respond. I started to perspirate, freaking out. I saw him smirk.

“TAEYANG!” his mom called from upstairs.

“WHAT?” he turned his head shouting back. He left to meet his mom upstairs.

While I waited for them, my heart was still pounding. What if he did hear me? He wouldn’t say that if he didn’t hear me! Unless he was just playing. "Just for today? I thought you liked me?" I thought about his words. He probably did hear me. I covered my face in embarrassment. Maybe it would be a good idea to run away now.

I heard someone coming down the stairs. It was Jenissi again. He didn’t look too happy. I took in a breath. “What did your mom say?” I asked him.

He leaned on the couch and sighed. “Tae’s not feeling good.”

“Oh no!” Worried, I made my way up the stairs, but Jenissi stopped me.

“They’re not coming with us,” he said.

“Huh? So it’s just us?” I asked, trying to hide the excitement in my voice.

“Yeah, she said our reservations are in fifteen minutes so we have to get going,” he said already making his way out the door.

“Wait! I’m going to check on your mom to see if she’s okay.” I turned around but Jenissi grabbed my arm.

“No, she’s fine. Let’s go.” He kept his grip on my arm and dragged me out the door.

I looked back before closing the front door and swore I saw Mrs. Kim peak at us from upstairs. Then I began to wonder if this was just a set up.

 

 

We ended up going to a seafood restaurant. “Woah, there’s a beach here too?” I asked surprised as we drove by it.

“You’ve never been here before?” he asked as he parked his car.

“Never,” I said looking around the area.

The hostess greeted us when we came in. “Hello, there. Do you have reservations with us?”

“Yes, under Taeyang,” Jenissi said.

The hostess checked the list and said “Here you are. Reservations for two.”

For two? So it was a set up, but I'm not complaining.

We were seated at a table by the window. “Wow you could see the beach from here!” I said amazed by the view. I heard Jenissi chuckle. I figured I was too loud. “I’ve always wanted to go to the beach,” I said gazing out the window. “Can we go?” I asked him.

“We haven’t even ordered our food yet.”

“I mean later. Can we?” I begged.

“It’s so cold. Are you kidding?”

“So? It still seems like fun!”

He shook his head and looked at his menu. “Whatever.”

“Yes!” I cheered.

While we waited for our food, I tried sparking up a conversation with him. “Did your friends get you anything for your birthday?”

“I got a new hat from Dongsung. That’s pretty much it.”

“Huh, what friends you have. Why didn’t you guys go out today?”

He shrugged. “We like hanging out at each other’s houses. There’s really nowhere else we can go.”

“I thought guys like you liked to celebrate their birthdays at strip clubs or something,” I joked.

“We did one time for Byungjoo," he chuckled. “We got kicked out for being too immature,” he laughed.

“I wouldn’t be surprised.”

“We were underage back then too.”

“Wow, you guys are so cool," I said sarcastically.

He laughed. We started talking about other random things from there. Things from embarrassing moments to favorite movies and books. Turns out he likes to read fiction stories about cats. “It’s how I get inspired to write lyrics. Sometimes ideas just flow in my head, but I think there’s nothing wrong with getting help,” he shrugged.

We kept talking even after getting our food. I ended up revealing more things about me to him than I had told Hyosang when we were going out. I even told him my most embarrassing stories from high school. “You farted in front of the whole class?” he said almost choking on his lobster.

“I said passed gas!”

"That's still farting."

"It wasn't a fart. It was more like a toot. I tried holding it in, but I couldn't help it," I said covering my face as he laughed. That was the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to me. I can't believe I brought it up to him, but for some reason I felt comfortable telling him anything, no matter how embarrassing it was. I just laughed it off. He seemed to be confident in what he told me as well.

“One time I tripped during one of my performances,” he said. I laughed trying to imagine it in my head. “Like right when I was getting my swag on, all of a sudden I trip on air. It was so embarrassing. At that moment I just lost it in front of everyone," he said covering his face. "But I'm glad someone has a more embarrassing story than me," he said looking at me.

"Come on, there's gotta be more embarrassing stories about you," I said.

"Hmm..oh yeah. One time when my friends and I got sent to the principles office, I had to pee so bad but they wouldn't let me go. My mom ended up having to buy a new chair for them," he laughed.

We went on talking about even more funny and disgusting stories about ourselves. Those were the most interesting. We laughed back and forth, totally unaware that we were disturbing the people around us. We were actually having a good time though.

In the middle of one of his stories about smashing his finger with a hammer, we were interrupted by a group of waiters and waitresses. They held a birthday sundae and started singing happy birthday. “HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR TAEYANG! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!” The whole restaurant clapped their hands at the end of the song. Jenissi smiled like a little boy and closed his eyes as he made a wish. I took a picture of him without him knowing. He opened his eyes and blew his candle. The waiters and waitresses cheered and then left. The left us two spoons. Jenissi handed me one.

I gasped. “You’re really going to share some with me?” I smiled and reached for his sundae, but he pulled it away from me.

“I didn’t say that. I just gave you a spoon,” he said taking a big scoop, eating his ice-cream in front of me. I frowned and sat back in my chair. “Mmm,” he said closing his eyes. “Mmm, it’s so good!” he said his spoon. I put my empty spoon in my mouth and crossed my arms as I watched him eat.

He glanced at me and smirked. “Fine,” he said taking another scoop and held it up in front of me. “Eat it before it melts!” he demanded.I stared at it, not sure if I should eat from it, though I really wanted to. I pulled the spoon out of my mouth as he gestured his spoon toward me. I leaned in to let him feed me but he pulled it away and crashed his lips onto mine instead. I didn’t realized what was going on. My eyes were wide open. I saw the spoon of ice-cream in his hand. So what was on my lips? They were cold and wet. I was feeling butterflies all of a sudden. Once I realized what was really happening, I freaked out and pushed him off of me.

I screamed. “Taeyang!”

He laughed and his lips. “How'd you like the ice-cream?”

I was still appalled by what he just did. My heart was beating uncontrollably. My mind couldn’t function correctly as I spoke. “W-why did you do that?” He just laughed again. “Why are you laughing?” I asked frustrated.

“You have chocolate on your face.” He reached over with a napkin to wipe it off, but I smacked it away and wiped it myself.

“I can’t believe you just did that,” I said throwing my napkin on the table.

“Don’t pretend you didn’t enjoy it,” he smiled.

“How dare you,” I glared at him getting up from my seat. I couldn’t think anymore. I felt the headache kicking in. I needed some air. I walked away from the table, leaving him behind.

“Where are you going?” he asked. I ignored him. “Wait! I still have to pay for this!” I didn’t listen to him and kept walking. I walked outside into the breezy, but warm weather. The sun was already setting, which looked beautiful over the beach. I smiled and made my way over there. I didn’t wait for Jenissi. He’d know where to find me.


Wow, can you believe it's been one whole month since I started this story? 0.0

So what do you think so far?

I got too excited to write this chapter. I don't know if it sounds good enough.

 

And just to let you all know, I'll be at kcon this weekend so I won't be able to update until I get back next week.

So please be patient!

In the meantime, feel free to spam me in the comments below :)

<3