Battle of the Rappers

Babysitting a Delinquent

I couldn’t decide what to wear. I couldn’t decide whether to wear jeans or a dress. I wanted to impress Kidoh, but at the same time I was going to a bar full of drunk people. If I went with the dress that went above the knees, who knows what drunk head will do to me. So I decided to go with a nice shirt with leggings. It was safe and cute at least. I decided to put darker makeup on and put my hair down just for the night. After completing the look, I drove to the bar Kidoh texted me.

 

When I got there, Kidoh immediately approached me.

“Yooyoung you came! You looked beautiful,” he smiled.

“Thank you. You look great yourself,” I told him.

“Come on, I’ll show you the stage.” He took my hand and led me to the stage in the back of the bar where he was supposed to perform. There were already a lot of people crowding around the standing area. Kidoh took me to the side of the stage where it was less crowded. “Wow, are all of these people here for you?” I asked.

“Most likely.”

“Why, is someone else performing tonight?”

“Oh I didn’t tell you? It’s a rap battle. I’ll be competing against a few other guys.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. The last one standing will be the audience’s pick. So promise you’ll cheer for me,” he said looking at me straight in the eye.

“Of course I will! I’ll be screaming for you the loudest!” He smiled and lifted my chin. The next thing he did caught me by surprise. His face came closer and sweetly kissed me on the cheek. I looked down feeling myself blush.

“You’re really beautiful you know that?” he said making me blush harder. This guy was such a charmer. I felt like I was going to faint, but then a loud and obnoxious voice interrupted my thoughts.

“Nanny?”

He stood behind Kidoh. What in the world was he doing here? Great, he was going to ruin my night.

“Jenissi?” I asked making Kidoh turn around to see who I was talking to. “What are you doing here?!”

“What are you doing here?!” He is so annoying. I asked him first.

“You guys know each other?” Kidoh asked.

“Yeah, he’s one of the kids I babysit,” I said crossing my arms.

Kidoh chuckled. “Jenissi? He’s the one who drives you crazy? I was expecting a middle schooler.”

“What did you tell him?” Jenissi asked offensively.

“Oh, just how you’re the worst kid I’ve ever had to babysit!”

“Wait. So you’re really his nanny?” Kidoh asked still in disbelief.

Jenissi and I both ignored him. “Kidoh, you know her?” he asked.

“Yeah, we’re friends. She’s here to cheer for me.”

“Cheer for you?” Jenissi scoffed.

I didn’t have time to deal with this. I wanted to spend this night with Kidoh and no one else. How did Kidoh know him anyways? I didn’t bother asking. “So Kidoh, when is your show going to start?” I asked.

His show?” Jenissi scoffed again. “It’s not just his show ponytail.”

“Don’t call me that.”

“Ponytail, ponytail, ponytail!” he said playing with my hair.

“Dude, she’s not even wearing a ponytail,” Kidoh explained.

“Yeah, so don’t call me that!” I slapped his hand away.

“I can call you whatever I want.”

“Says who?”

“I do.”

“Listen to me,” I began.

“I don’t have to listen to you,” he said back.

I was about to scream at him when Kidoh cut me off.

“Okay, I think you two have had enough,” Kidoh said trying to separate us.

“Yeah, calm yourself down clown face,” Jenissi said to me.

Was he referring to my makeup? That’s it. I went up to his face and spat, “You’re a nut face!”

“Call me whatever you want drool face,” he said then imitated the way I slept.

The fury in me rose, I was about to lose my temper. I couldn’t think properly, so the first thing I screamed at him was “ face!”

“Stink face!” he screamed back

“Snot face!” I shot again.

We just kept going and going. I wasn’t going to stop. My irritation level was at its maximum height.

“Ugly face!” I called him without second thought.

“Ouch, that hurt,” he said.

“Good! Now leave!” I said to his face.

“You’re so annoying you know,” he said to me looking straight in the eye.

“You’re so annoying!” I shouted back to him.

“Whoa guys, calm down!” Kidoh said separating us. “People are staring.”

It took a moment to regain my sanity. I wasn’t normally like this. I’ve never lost my temper in public ever nor have I yelled at someone in public. It's just that Jenissi didn't know how to shut up. I’ve just embarrassed myself in front of all these people, especially Kidoh. It was all Jenissi’s fault.

“I think I need a drink,” I said already feeling the headache kicking in.

“Come on, I’ll buy you a drink,” Kidoh said placing his hand behind my back.

 

“One corona for me and a martini for the lady,” Kidoh said to the bartender. “Do you drink?” he asked me.

“Not really, but just for tonight I will. I’ve never had a martini before.”

Once we got our drinks I hesitated before taking the first sip. “How is it?” Kidoh asked.

The first sip burned my insides since my body was not used to alcohol, but it was delicious. “I like it!”

I drank some more, then all of a sudden the glass was empty.

“Ready for round two?” Kidoh asked. I nodded and he laughed. “Order as many as you want. We’re here all night. It’ll be on my tab.” I wasn’t expecting to drink that much, but I had already finish two glasses.

 

“Okay, can we have all our contestants come up to the stage? All contestants up to the stage!” Someone said in front of the mic.

“That’s you!”

“Yep, I’ll be right back,” he said patting my shoulder.

“Good luck Kidoh! Fighting!” I shouted.

 

I wanted to crowd around the stage too but I was afraid I was going to be too short to see anything. So I stayed where I was at the bar which actually had a pretty good view.                         

The first two competitors happened to be Kidoh and this other guy named Zelo. It started off with Zelo rapping a few lines then it was Kidoh's turn. Even after a few lines I was impressed. It later got intense as the rapping between the two got faster. Each of them had their own unique style of rapping, but I had to say that Kidoh was better. He just had that stage presence and passion in his voice. Even though I had no idea what he was saying, I cheered for him anyway. Round one for the rap competition ended with Kidoh winning over Zelo.

Next was two other contestants who called themselves Bang and Suga. Bang had a super low but attractive voice while Suga had more of a squeeky, manly voice put together. Suga ended up winning that round. I was so impressed by these rappers, I couldn’t wait to hear who was next.

Next up the stage was two other guys. One of the guys had white hair that was styled pretty cool. He walked on stage with confidence while the other guy who was pretty skinny looked down as he walked. I could tell he was nervous.

Once they announced their names I almost fell of my chair. Not because one of the guys’ name was Rap Monster, but because one of the guys was Jenissi! JENISSI?!  I didn’t know he raps! I was excited to see this.

The battle started off the same way, with a slow tempo and some lines. Then my favorite part came up when the rapping got faster and more intense. Rap Monster was good, but once Jenissi took the mic, I really did fall out of my chair. Something about his voice was just so unique. It took me by surprise. I wasn’t expecting that voice to come out of him at all. It was so powerful and free-spirited, it just gave me this unexplainable feeling. Compared to Rap Monster’s voice and all the other contestants, his voice stood out the most to me. In the end I found myself standing, clapping, and screaming for him. I was making so much noise that I was able to get his attention. After noticing that he was watching me cheer for him, I sat down immediately and stopped what I was doing. Who was I to clap for this nasty, icky person? I was here to cheer for Kidoh. In the end Jenissi won that round, and I honestly think it was my fault.

So then it came the final battle among the three: Kidoh, Suga, and Jenissi.

All three of whom were very talented and had their own style of rapping.

First it was Kidoh who rapped.

I cheered for him as loud as I could along with a bunch of other people around me. They seemed to be fans of him too.

Then Suga came in with his super-fast rap that got the crowd to scream.

Then it was Jenissi who offered another really interesting sounding rap.

I promised myself not to scream for him this time, but he just had so much swag that I couldn’t help but to let out a squeal. I was listening to the people around me and heard a mixture of “Nah, he’s not good. He has no confidence. I don’t like the way he raps. His style is not as good as Suga’s.” They were a bunch of negative comments against Jenissi. I was surprised because I was thinking the exact opposite.

 When they asked for the final vote, which meant scream for the one you want to win, I made sure I made the most noise for Kidoh. Kidoh was the one who I wanted to win alright. I yelled his name a bunch of times and screamed my lungs out and once it got to Jenissi, I clapped and only yelled his name once.

Then it was finally time to announce the winner. The drumroll began.

“And the winner is…KIDOH!”

I jumped from my seat and cheered as loud as I could. I swear I was already losing my voice.

The whole bar was screaming. He was like the crowd favorite. Everyone loved him.

 

I met him when he got off stage and congratulated him. “You did it! You won!”

“I know! I’m glad you came to cheer for me!”

I hugged his side and he put his arm around me. Without letting go, he walked us back to the bar.

Once he sat down, there were already girls crowding in front of him asking for autographs.

“Wow, you have a fan club already?”

“Yeah, for a while now,” he said signing a girl’s book.

“I didn’t know you were that famous.”

“Are you kidding me? He’s like the greatest rapper of all time!” One of the girls said to me.

I was impressed. I didn’t know I was going out with a famous rapper. I wanted to talk to Kidoh more but he was too busy taking care of his fans. I looked at the crowd of girls and saw this one guy pushing passed all of them. Once he made it to the front, I wasn’t surprised who it was.

“Kidoh! Nice job man!” Jenissi said knuckle touching him.

“You too! You were so close!” he said knuckle touching him back.

“Eh, no one can defeat the rapper of the year,” Jenissi said.

Was Kidoh really rapper of the year? I honestly thought Jenissi was better. but I didn’t want to admit it or even believe it was true.

“Sup ponytail,” he said to me. He sat in the chair next to me.

“How come I don’t see fans crowding you?” I teased.

“They’ll find me here,” he said sitting back in his seat. “Plus my biggest fan is sitting right here next to me.” He looked at me and smirked. Then started imitating the way I cheered for him. “AHH JENISSI!!! JENISSI SARANGHAE!!! JENISSI!!!”

“I didn’t say any of that!” I said covering my face.

“That’s what it looked like to me,” he laughed.

I didn’t laugh. “How come you didn’t tell me you were a rapper?”

“How come? Let's see. Every time we talk, it always ends with argument,” he explained. “When have we ever had a normal conversation?”

“You're right.”

“You still don’t know anything about me.”

“I know you don’t like to clean. You most especially don’t like to listen to other people. AND I know you like to be rude and cocky all the time.”

“You still know nothing.”

“It doesn’t matter though. You’re just a kid I babysit.”

“Don’t call me a kid! I bet I’m older than you!”

“You probably are, but mentally you aren’t,” I said firmly.

“Why do you hate on me so much?” he asked.

“It’s just the truth,” I shrugged.

After saying that I was expecting Jenissi to shoot something back at me. Maybe another bad name or insult, but instead he didn’t say anything. Not only that, he looked…upset. It actually looked like I hurt his feelings. I was just going along with our normal harsh conversations. I never realized how mean I sounded. I didn’t think it would offend him that much. It’s just that he’s never seemed to be offended by anything I said before. I didn't understand why he became so sensitive all of a sudden.

“Hey Yooyoung, you wanna go?” Kidoh asked suddenly. I realized all the fans were out of sight.

“Go? Go where?” I asked.

“I was thinking we could stop by my place. My chef prepared us some dinner.”

“You have a chef?!” I asked surprised. This guy was handsome, talented, and rich! Score!

“Yes, I do. One of the finest,” he smiled. “So what do you say? You hungry?”

“Absolutely!" I said excitedly. "But I think I need to use the restroom first.”

Those martinis were small, but they filled up my bladder real fast. I ran to the bathroom quickly and excused myself. I didn’t even dare to look back at Jenissi. I was afraid I was going to get flashes of his somber face during dinner.


What do you think Jenissi is thinking? Aren't you lucky to have a guy like Kidoh~

Please leave a comment and be sure to check out Kidoh's new song