Competition, Celebration, Carnival

The Two Sided Man

The bell for the last class tolled and the students in the class all stood up and started to pack their bags, preparing to go back to their respective frat houses or all the way home. Today was a Friday so lessons ended earlier which meant that Daehyun and his friends had the entire afternoon to themselves.

 

"Oi Dae, we going to the skate park or what? Zelo is literally gonna explode from all the excitement. He practised for months to own this competition!" Youngjae raised his voice towards Daehyun who was at the other side of the classroom, chucking in all the notes into his bag. 

 

"Yeah yeah, I'm coming, just give me another ten more freaking seconds to pack my stuff, Jesus!" Daehyun shouted back in a slightly irritated tone. What's his deal? We'll reach there half an hour early anyway. 

 

Junhong quickly swung his bag over his shoulders and dropped his skateboard onto the ground and was clearly excited for the competition because he was jumping around like he was on a pogo stick. 

 

"Skate Fest, Skate Fest, Skate Fest! Let's go, Daehyun you slowpoke, I wanna practice and rehearse everything at the park, let's go!!!!" Junhong rushed Daehyun to the point where he just gave all his stuff a mighty shove into his bag and zipped up. 

 

"ALRIGHT LET'S GO." Daehyun boomed, his head about to pop. Daehyun could understand Junhong's excitement but could not comprehend Youngjae's impatience.

 

Just as they were about to all burst out of class, Karrin tapped Daehyun on the shoulder. He turned behind to see her smiling widely. 

 

"Can I come along too? I would love to see Junhong skate!" Karrin asked innocently. Youngjae let out a sigh of defeat while Junhong chirped up. 

 

" You would wanna watch me skate?" Junhong asked Karrin eagerly. 

 

"Of course! We're already classmates for almost two weeks now! I wouldn't want to miss out on cheering on for you!" Karrin answered and flashed a big smile for Junhong. Like a little boy, he started to jump up and down and spinned in the air while doing so. Everyone laughed but Youngjae decided to cut in again. 

 

"If you wanna follow then come along, but can we move already?? He's gonna lose if you don't hurry up so he can practice!!" Youngjae almost screamed. 

 

"Calm down YJ, you're starting to sound like you're the one who entered the competition and is trying to win!" Daehyun laughed. Youngjae just smacked his face with his palm and mumbled as he stormed out off the class. The rest laughed and chased after him as they headed off to the skate park for the yearly skating competition, The Annual Skate Fest.

 

Two weeks had passed since any news had been heard from Officer Brock but Daehyun was actually feeling relieved. He did not have to stay up so late into the night and get sleep deprived and doze off in class which was good, but it somehow bothered him that he was suddenly not as involved in the case. Two weeks had also passed since Karrin had join the school and she had already bonded with everyone in the class especially with Junhong and Youngjae thanks to Daehyun. It was like the three guys were always together, but of everyone, she was the most comfortable with Daehyun because he was the first one that spoke to her on her very first day. 

 

As they caught sight of the skate park, Junhong squealed and hopped onto his skateboard and zoomed ahead leaving the three of them behind. Just before he hit the slopes, he shrugged off his bags onto the floor, fully expecting the three to pick it up for him while he practised. 

 

"We're not your servants, you know!" Daehyun retorted. 

 

"It's cool, I got it," Youngjae jogged to his bags, picked them up, and jogged back. "Let's go find a good spot and get some hot dogs or something." 

 

"Great plan." Daehyun said and the trio went to put their bags and settled down by a tree which was just a few feet from the slopes. Youngjae got up again to go buy the food. 

 

"Oh oh, I wanna hot dog too!" Karrin piped up. 

 

"Same here, get me a drink as well!" Daehyun added in. All Youngjae did was stretched his arm out and started prompting them to hand over the cash. 

 

"Fork it over. I sure as hell am not using my money to buy you fatties food." Youngjae laughed. 

 

Karrin gave a pout and Daehyun grumbled as they both handed over their own money. "Cheap bastard." Daehyun commented jokingly. 

 

"Hey, you owe me this much for helping to pick up Z's bags okay! Besides, who was the one who said the thing about not being servants huh, smartass?" Youngjae mocked. 

 

"Go buy the freaking hot dogs already, you pabo." Daehyun lightly kicked Youngjae in his behind. He laughed and then went to buy the food. 

 

"Good kick, he deserved it." Karrin added. 

 

It just hit them both that they were now sitting alone under a shady tree together, just watching people performing tricks and combinations. It was a relaxing and peaceful moment, nothing was about to bother them for a few minutes. 

 

"So later on, if Zelo emerges as a champion or not, we'll be heading to a Carnival nearby to celebrate. Would you like to coming along too?" Daehyun asked Karrin, as they both watched the other skaters going down and flying back up the slopes. 

 

For a moment, Karrin was a silent as if she was deep in thought but then a smile started to grow across her face. 

 

"Sure, Daehyun!" Karrin simply replied.

 

"That's great! You know, now at least we won't be so wild and stupid when we go to the carnival because of a woman's touch." Daehyun joked. Karrin just scoffed as even after all this time, she couldn't understand the immaturity of Daehyun. 

 

As Karrin is giving him a wave of slaps on his shoulder, Youngjae returned with the food and they all sat down ready to devour it, but they waited for the MC to start the competition. 

 

About ten minutes later, a man with a red cap and shades hopped into the center of the slopes holding a microphone. He wore a grey top and khaki shorts and his arms and legs were all covered in tattoos. 

 

"Ladies and gentlemen, a very good afternoon to you all, HOW YOU DOING?" The man emphasized on the last three words like they were a war cry. Everyone at the park started to scream and shout and cheered. 

 

"Alright, alright, I like this energy here!" The man exclaimed. "I'm know as Crash and welcome to the 4th Annual Skate Fest! The competitors are all pumped and ready to show off their talents to win the Skater King title and a cash prize of a huge fat stack of five hundred won! Yes, half a million, people! It's a lot of money for a skater, so let's see who is good enough to attain number one!"

 

The event was surprisingly a pretty big deal because there were almost a hundred people around holding their skateboards and with the intent to kill painted on their faces. These skaters really meant business and they looked to have practised their whole lives for this event. The trio could spot Junhong amongst all the other skaters as he literally stood out from the rest with his towering height. He seemed oblivious to all the intimidating faces and glares that he was receiving from other skaters as their attempts to scare or frighten him failed. 

 

"Without further ado, let's start off with Skater One! Show them your unbelievable skills!" Crash announced. The skater grabbed his stereo and hopped onto his skateboard and glided to the edge of the slopes before hoping off again to place the stereo down. He whipped out a cassette from his back pocket and popped it into the stereo. After a few seconds, music started to blast from the stereo and the crowd went wild. The skater performed trick after trick and transitioned into each move perfectly; there was no doubt he was good at.

 

"Wow, this guy is actually pretty good!" Karrin admitted with surprise. Both Daehyun and Youngjae just started to chuckle and Karrin just looked at both guys like they were crazy. 

 

"What? He is good.. Isn't he?" Karrin then started to seem confused. It was a first time being in a skate competition and she had never even seen a skater at the least. 

 

"Oh it's nothing,". Daehyun finally answered her. "If you think that this guy is good, then you'll be quite amazed with Junhong's performance!" 

 

Skater after skater passed and the level of competition started to seem even more intense than ever before. Even now, Daehyun and Youngjae started to have minute doubt etched into their faces. 

 

"Great performance by skater 76! Now if you thought this Morning's competition was heated, they clearly didn't experience the Afternoon Sesh's intensity!" Crash screamed into the microphone. 

 

"Now it's with my great honor to introduce to you last year's Skater King and skater number 77, the one and only Zelo!" Crash announced. Everyone started to chant 'Zelo' but he was nowhere to be seen now. 

 

"Where that guy go?" Youngjae stood up and looked scanned the group of skaters who were too, all looking around amongst themselves.

 

All of a sudden, music started to blast from the DJ's stand.

 

It's been a long time, unfair wrong system, na mean? Kick it! Oh eh oh oh eh, gotta get your life, oh eh oh oh eh, get on get on get on ha! 

 

The song started to play and from the DJ stand, which was in a watch tower-like hut, Junhong flew out from the side on his skateboard performing a mute, before landing on the slopes. 

 

Everyone burst out in screams as he started to swerve in the slopes as the music played on. 

 

"Junhong was last year's Skater King?" Karrin screamed, she was completely shocked that Junhong had such skill.

 

What the hell you do I'll repay back. I'll find you and wait til the end of the world. What the hell you do, even when I die, I'll pay you back. Wait and see, in time, you you you you you're gonna break down. 

 

During this point, Junhong was already in the middle of his sequence, building up all the suspense by performing other small tricks like ollies and board flips. And just as the end of the song edged near, Junhong just started to drop down slopes to gain as much velocity as possible and he performed his finale trick. 

 

As he flew up the slope, Junhong did a somersault and caused his board to propel forward which hit the Annual Skate Fest signboard and it rebounded to him as he completed his flip and caught the board in time to finally performed a 720 degree twist before hitting the slopes down again. The song ended as he reached the bottom of the slopes.

 

"OH MY GOD, EVERYBODY! THAT TRICK JUST HAPPENED, IT JUST HAPPENED!!" Crash screamed as he held the back of his neck in disbelief. The entire skate park literally exploded in screams and cheers as they continued to chant 'Zelo'. Junhong just smiled and bowed towards the crowd. He caught sight of the trio and waved enthusiastically towards them and they reciprocated the action. 

 

"I told you Junhong would be amazing, I was completely blown away by that last trick!" Youngjae exclaimed. As the competition wasn't over, they just sat out and watched the rest of the skaters before Junhong could join them again. 

 

After awhile, the last skater had finished his sequence and Crash slipped down the slope to the center with the microphone.

 

"That was the last skater my friends, now I hate to throw it in the other skaters' faces but it was pretty obvious who won,  isn't it?" Crash asked the entire crowd who all started to chant 'Zelo' and 'Skater 77' at the same time. 

 

"Well there it is," Crash announced. "The 4th Annual Skate Fest Champion is none other than our first year now second year reigning champ, Zelooooo!!!!!" 

 

Junhong walked towards Crash to shake his hand and he interviewed Junhong a little. "So Zelo, how does it feel to be the two time reigning champion of the Skate Fest?" 

 

"To be honest," Junhong answered. "If it weren't for the incalculable and constant support from my friends by that tree over there, I wouldn't even be here today!" 

 

"How touching Zelo, now let's give him and his friends by the tree a big round of applause!" Crash then started to clap his hands and pat Junhong on his back. The entire crowd cheered for the four of them as Zelo ran up the slopes to meet Karrin, Daehyun, and Youngjae. They all gave him a huge hug and ruffled his hair for the outstanding performance. 

 

"Well what are you waiting for Junhong, go collect your prize so we can go celebrate already!" Daehyun prompted. 

 

Once Zelo went to collect the large trophy and the cash prize and once the closing ceremony was over, it was well into the evening already. 

 

"C'mon you slowpokes, I still wanna celebrate my victory at the carnival! Letsgoletsgoletsgooo!!" Junhong started hoping up and down while tugging on both Daehyun and Youngjae's sleeves. Karrin started to giggle and helped Junhong push the two as they stumbled and tripped on their own feet with Junhong pulling from the front. 

 

                                            ~

 

The four arrived at the Carnival just as the sun went down and the night exclusive rides just opened for business so Junhong was the most excited. He was literally shaking as he bought the four passes to enter the Carnival. Junhong just grabbed Youngjae by his bag strap and charged towards one of the rides. The cries from Youngjae got drowned out by the carnival sounds as they got farther into the Carnival. As Daehyun prepared to chase after them, he felt Karrin holding his wrist and stopped on the spot. 

 

"Let them go, we can always meet them later." Daehyun smiled. 

 

Daehyun then walked side by side with Karrin deeper into the Carnival passing many different game stations and rides.

 

"Oh look at that bear, it's so cute! Let's play that one!" Karrin dragged Daehyun to the game stop. The game master explained that the role of the game was to shoot balls at ten moving targets. The amount of balls you could hit determine the type of price you could pick. 

 

"How many targets for the big pink bear?" Daehyun asked the game master. 

 

"That would be seven and up, sir!" The game master replied. Daehyun played for the ten balls and planned on how to go about this as the targets started to move. Targets moving at a constant pace, up and down at an approximate four centimeter area. 

 

Daehyun simply took out a single ball from the basket of ten and placed it on the stand. He then held up the basket and flinged all the balls in a horizontal motion. Five targets were knocked over. 

 

"Aw, now you're left with one ball. Well it's okay, I don't really need to have it!" Karrin tried to cheer up Daehyun, but the thing is, he didn't need it. Daehyun just smiled and waited for the target on the upper row to line up with the target on the lower row and he tossed the ball. He threw it at such a great angle that when the ball hit the lower target, the rebound made the ball hit the target that moved above it as well. It was killing two birds with one stone. 

 

"Wow! I must say, you have a very good throwing arm!" The game master complimented Daehyun. He simply just smiled and pointed at the big pink Teddy bear. The game master picked it out and passed it to Karrin who accepted it in smiles. 

 

"That was a pretty smart way of playing the game, I'm impressed!" Karrin said to Daehyun. 

 

"Well it was pretty simple to have scored anyway. I was just testing my reflexes!" Daehyun flexed his arms and Karrin just bumped into him lightly as they continued on. 

 

The entire night, the two of them went to the carousel, a roller coaster ride, a haunted house ride, and they never once bumped into Youngjae or Junhong. The Carnival was actually larger than they thought of previously and they didn't mind. Daehyun and Karrin were having the time of their lives and they didn't mind not running into the other two anyway. They didn't know it, but there was already a spark of something happening between them. 

 

"So where do we go next?" Karrin asked as she took a bite out of the pink cotton candy. 

 

"Well if you want to, we can go onto the Ferris wheel! But be warned, the Ferris wheel is pretty large and the seats are practically just benches with the safety catch!" Daehyun tried to make it sound as scary as possible but failed when Karrin simply stared Daehyun in the eyes and booped him on his nose and skipped towards the direction of the Ferris wheel. 

 

Once they were able to get on the Ferris wheel, Daehyun just leaned back on the seat, causing the entire thing to tilt at a scary angle. 

 

"Oh my God, stop it stop it stop it! I feel like I'm going to die!" Karrin held on to the safety catch as they started to move up. Daehyun stopped and started to laugh because of she looked like a frightened kitten. 

 

"You are such a meanie, I'm never riding anything with you ever." Karrin stated. 

 

"Oh come on, do you think I would've let you fall?" Daehyun simply replied and somehow, it was the most convincing thing that Karrin has heard all her life and she relaxed. 

 

"What a beautiful night, look at all the stars and the ships in the sea." Daehyun took in a deep breath of the ocean air as their bench got higher up. 

 

"So Daehyun,". Karrin started to converse. "You've never really told me about your family. I mean, do you have siblings?" 

 

Daehyun got grave. "Yeah I did. I had a little brother once and he was everything to me."

 

"What happened to him?" Karrin asked cautiously.

 

"We used to play this game together where we had to do like, these little missions and all like buy milk from across the streets or something and come back without being caught by our parents," Daehyun explained. "One day, my brother's mission was to go to the house of a girl he liked two houses down the street and confess, but being the careless little that he is..." 

 

Daehyun paused as he reminisced about the past. The feeling of complete and utter desolation washed over him when he realized that he caused his little brother to have been killed. 

 

"My brother was sent to the hospital immediately but the damage caused was too great and he passed on just as he reached the Emergency Room." Daehyun said. 

 

"I'm sorry... I- I really don't know what to say..." Karrin spoke, her voice contrite. 

 

"Don't be, you weren't at fault in any way. But I guess I learned that day that love can be a really dangerous thing and I am never gonna be prepared to lose someone through love again." Daehyun commented.

 

They remained silent for a short moment as their bench was about to reach the top of the wheel. Both the moon and stars were illuminating the night sky and the light houses far out into the sea made the view a breath taking spectacle. Soon fireworks shot into the sky and exploded in an array of colors from golden to turquoise. Karrin slid her hand across the safety catch and placed her hand on Daehyun's. He flinched slightly at first, but relaxed straight away. Daehyun gazed into her eyes. He had never realized how beautiful her eyes actually were: big and round, her iris were hazel colored with golden flecks.

 

They held their gaze for a moment before Karrin spoke again. 

 

"Love is dangerous, but taking risks are just ?" 

 

Then naturally, they started to edge closer to each other. Daehyun could hear her slightly increased breathing as he felt his own blood racing. Her pupils are dilated. 

 

As the final fireworks lit up the night sky, the two met with their touching and in their own minds, fireworks were going off as well. For the first time in forever, Daehyun's mind had been wiped clean. Nothing in the world mattered to him anymore. He just wanted to be with this girl sitting in the spot beside him and wanted this moment to last for ever. 

 

When they pulled away, Karrin smiled sweetly and just brushed her hair behind her ear. It was so sudden and she didn't even realized what she was doing until she pulled away, but she did not have regrets of what she did. 

 

When they completed the revolution, Youngjae and Junhong were waiting for them with hands full of toys and food. 

 

"Where did you two go? You had us worried sick!" Youngjae said, Junhong on the other hand just seem to be trying to eat his blue cotton candy but a stuffed bear was blocking his path. 

 

"Sorry mom, we'll try not to worry you next time!" Daehyun joked and everyone started to burst into laughter except for Youngjae who realized he did indeed sound like a parent. 

 

"It's late, let's go home." Junhong finally said after giving up on trying to bite the last fluff of cotton candy. No one rejected the idea of going home and they all made for the entrance of the Carnival again. 

 

Daehyun and Karrin walked the whole way linking arms and were fully aware of it this time. Youngjae looked confusingly at them and then started to speak. 

 

"Whoa whoa whoa, what were you two lovebirds doing when we were roller coaster-ing our assets off?" Youngjae started to joke. "Karrin, don't be making any babies yet, it's a little early!" Junhong started to laugh

 

"Ew, go away you big !" Karrin kicked Youngjae in his shin and he started hopping up and down in pain. Again, he became the laughing stock of the crowd. 

 

As they all got to the subway, they all started to disband and to take the different trains that led to their homes. 

 

"So... Are you gonna be alright on your way back?" Daehyun asked as Karrin's train arrived at the station. 

 

"I'm not a five year old girl!" Karrin replied again, slightly annoyed with his constant age pestering. Daehyun just laughed and patted her on her head just because he was tall enough to do so. She boarded the train and Daehyun waved goodbye to her until the train departed from the station. 

 

Daehyun let out a long sigh and skipped towards his own train station. The day was the best he had ever had as today was his most uninterrupted day worth of happiness and he had a smile on his face in the trip all the way home.