The New Girl

The Two Sided Man

RINGGGG! The morning bell began to ring as students pack the hallway trying to get to their first classes of the day. Daehyun was already in his class, chatting fervently with his friends about the newly released movie called WarriorA student that came in just a little late overheard the group chatting about the movie and immeiatley, he charged towards Daehyun and gave his brown-haired head the ultimate noogie. 

 

"You sly , how dare you plan on going to watch a movie without me, your best friend!" Youngjae yelled at Daehyun. 

 

 "It was your fault for coming so freaking late, you idiot!" Daehyun retorted as they got into a friendly brawl with each other. Fists were flying everywhere all of a sudden,  but their punches were pulled when they hit. The girls in the corner were giggling and mumbled, "Boys, do they ever grow up? "

 

Right at that very moment where Daehyun was just about to choke-lock Youngjae into submission, the teacher of the class walked in and immediately turned red. 

 

"Mr Jung and Mr Yoo! What in the world do you think you two monkeys are doing! Act your age, you are no longer little children! " Mr. Daniels, their english and homeroom teacher, barked at the the two. Everybody who was in their little groups dispersed and went back to their seats while Mr. Daniels stood by the doorway talking to someone outside. Daehyun could only make out "Sorry for the… " from the incessant buzzing and chatting of the class. Mr. Daniels then walked to the front of the class so he could get, a good view of all the students. 

 

"Good news everyone," Mr. Daniels clasped his hands firmly. "As of today, we will be having a new student with us and her name is Mae Karrin!" Mr Daniels then prompted to enter the classroom and and she strode into the class to stand beside him, everyone went silent. She wore a short leather jacket over a white tee and a pair of leather jeans which only emphasized the curves of her legs.

 

"Please welcome her to the to the family of Alpha and Omega fraternity brothers and sorority sisters!" Mr Daniels started to clap for Karrin. 

 

The whole class burst into a scream fest as students applauded and cheered for Karrin for having joined the Alpha and Omega amongst the other sorority and frat houses. Mr Daniels put his hands up to silent the students and motioned for Karrin to speak to the class for a little self introductory. 

 

"He.. Hello guys, my name is Karrin and I'm 19. I recently transferred here because my parents had to move into the city a month ago for work and this school close by. I hope to be able to make friends with every single one of you here! " Karrin spoke nervously to the class, trying to set the best first impression for the students. She smiled when she was speaking to the class which of course, made many of the desperate guys' hearts melt. 

 

The whole time this was happening, Daehyun was staring in disbelief at her. There was no mistaking it; the leather clothings, her dark wavy hair and her hazel eyes looked all to familiar. There was no way that she could have been the Karrin that dropped the necklace with the heart pendant. He laced his fingers and put them across his mouth to blend in with the fairly large class as much as possible, but his efforts to look inconspicuous were all destroyed when she looked his way and made eye contact with him. The shock on his face resembled Karrin but she was able to maintain her smile and Daehyun only recognized the shock through her eyes. The eyes never lie. 

 

"Well, since half the student in the class are blind," Mr. Daniels said jokingly, "I apologize but you will have to sit at the back of class behind Mr Jung there, until we can find someone who is not as blind." He pointed right at Daehyun and she gave him another stare again, before smiling at Mr Daniels and walked over to the table behind him.

 

"Okay now that that all that's done, let's begin our lessons shall we?" Mr Daniels said. The moment he turned his back and started writing on the board, Daehyun too decided to turn his head.

 

"Hi." Daehyun said as casually as possible, knowing that somehow he might irk Karrin.

 

"What do you want, Mr Jung." Karrin said, clearly annoyed by him. 

 

"Listen, I don't know what you were doing there last night, and I'm pretty sure you know where I mean, but i-" Daehyun got cut off as she quickly countered him. 

 

"Well, what were you doing there?" Karrin asked, which caught Daehyun off guard. He quickly thought up some garbage to say to her. 

 

"I was coming home from my um.. Outside classes, and I just so happen to pass by the place." Daehyun replied her, but Karrin looked totally unconvinced. 

 

"Yeah sure. I know that you're just lying to me so I want a fair trade. You don't tell anyone about this and I don't tell anyone about you too. I'm trying to build a good reputation, okay." Karrin whispered. 

 

"Fine," Daehyun quickly answered as he just wanted to get past that. "Anyway as I was saying, we kinda got off on the wrong foot with each other here and I want to re-do our introduction again so hi, I'm Jung Daehyun."

 

Karrin kept silent for a moment and eyed him suspiciously as if this was an elaborate plot to get her punished on the first day of school. Daehyun was still waiting for her reply so she just sighed and faked a smile as if happy to meet him. 

 

"Hi, I'm Mae Karrin. Now turn back to the front, you idiot. Other students are staring."

 

Daehyun chuckled and complied to her wishes, but he leaned his chair back again and tried to whisper to her. 

 

"You should smile more, you look better that way. Oh yeah and I have something to show you!" Daehyun quickly sat upright causing his chair to slam on the ground again.

 

"What in the blazes are you doing, Mr. Jung!" Mr.  Daniels scolded. 

 

"Sorry sir, I was just telling Karrin where the restroom is." Daehyun tried to stifle his chuckling again. For a guy who is nineteen, he was as immature as a twelve year old. Mr Daniels dismissed the issue and went back to writing things on the board. 

 

Daehyun reached into the bag and pulled out the necklace and leaned back again.

 

"Here, I found this along the street while I was walking back last night. I thought it was yours so I kept it in hopes of finding you again. Who would've thought that you would've ended up sitting behind me!"

 

Karrin saw the necklace and her eyes immediately got all red, as if she was about to cry.

 

"This necklace was given to me by my brother. He went to America and stayed there as a soldier and went to Afghanistan but he never returned. Other than famiy portraits and pictures, this is my only memory left of him. Thank you for finding it, Daehyun." she gratefully thanked him. 

 

Daehyun felt something as she spoke his name, like a scent of perfume wafted over him. It was a sweet feeling and one that cannot be explained, and somehow or another Daehyun decided to give in to this feeling. His heart started to beat a little faster and his mind started to race a little as well.

 

"Well," Daehyun started, "Since you're new to this school and probably to this entire area, you can follow me to eat at one of the most delicious cheesecake stall nearby after school!"

 

"Follow you to eat out after school? Mr. Jung Daehyun, are you asking me out on a date, and only when when we just got to know each other for ten minutes?" Karrin raised her eyebrows, whatever emotions she was previously feeling had been dominated by curiosity. 

 

"I wouldn't call it a date, I'd rather see it as: you're the new girl who wants to make new friends and I'm the guy who is your very first! This guy, is also gonna take you to the best cheesecake stall of all time is willing to pay for you since the new girl is an amateur at picking cheesecakes by herself!" Daehyun replied condescendingly but jokingly.

 

Karrin shook her head in disbelief that someone could be so immature but she smiled at his childishness. She was anxious at first to be the new girl on the block but Daehyun was doing a good job in relieving her tension. 

 

"Alright, I guess you showing me around the area wouldn't hurt." Karrin finally decided after a moment of thinking. Daehyun turned his head back to face the front, smiling like how a kid would when given candy. Karrin was feeling a little overjoyed as well. She could finally take her mind off of the stress of moving away from her previous school where she had made good friends. 

 

                                                        ~

 

When the bell rang for recess, the whole cafeteria flooded with students from all years. Karrin, a little unaccustomed to the new cafeteria ended up finding the long queue and had to wait almost ten minutes in line for the food. She didn't know the school well enough yet to traverse outside the building to buy food. Once Karrin had gotten her food, she went to sit by a table which was relatively empty, relatively known as the "new kid table". Just as she was about to dig into her spaghetti and meatballs, two girls plopped their trays on to the table with such force, it almost caused Karrin to drop her utensils. 

 

"Sorry new girl." said one of the girls. "We didn't mean to startle you!" said the other. When Karrin looked up, she was stunned for a moment. Both girls were wearing almost the same outfit: long black hair tied into two ponytails, a white blouse with striped arm sleeves, black shortskirt, and striped stockings. The only way to tell them apart is by their hair color, where one girl had pink highlights in her hair, while the other girl had purple highlights. It took Karrin a moment to realize that they were actually twins. 

 

"Oh it's okay," Karrin said while still taking in their image. "Wow, you two look-"

 

"Different?" The two girls said in unison. "We get that a lot. I'm Eunji and this is my sister, Eunjung." The girl with the pink highlights introduced. 

 

"I'm Karrin, pleasure to meet you two, so what years are you from?" Karrin enquired. 

 

"Oh, we're already Junior year students. One more year and we'll be out of this place at last." Eunji sighed. 

 

"I'm sorry, I didn't know Eunji and Eunjung unnie. My apologies." Karrin apologized, once again startled by their age. 

 

"Oh, forget about the whole unnie or oppa thing," Eunjung replied. "You can call us by our names, we find the addressing system way too formal. It's such a bore." Eunji continued. They opened the plastic lid of their salads and started eating it in sync. Karrin was fascinated by how the twins' minds could be so alike that they knew exactly who was going to say what and out of fascination, she ended up coming off as a little rude.

 

"Well,  don't just stare at us, go ahead and eat!" the twins both said together.

 

"My apologies." Karrin hastily twirled the spaghetti in her fork and dug in. As the three girls ate together, Eunjung decided to start another conversation. 

 

"So Karrin," Eunjung interviewed, "You have seen roughly about all the guys in school, are there any you decided to pick yet?" 

 

Karrin was surprised by this question and thought about it for awhile. "No, not really. I guess seeing isn't enough. I probably would want to get to know them a little better first." 

 

"What about Jung Daehyun?" Both twins let a smile spread across their faces. 

 

Karrin froze. How do they know about Daehyun? 

 

"It's okay if you don't feel comfortable with us mentioning him you know," Eunji spoke calmly. "But if there is anything," Eunjung continued, "Anything you wanna know about anyone at all, you can come find us!"

 

Karrin thought about it a little and decided that she will let her inquisitiveness out a bit. "Can you tell me a little bit about Daehyun?" Karrin asked. The twins simply smiled at her. 

 

                                                       ~

 

RIIINGGGGG! "Okay class, remember to get your homework completed. Go back and read up on Temperature Conversions, there might or might or might not be a test about it next week. As your teacher, it's my job to put incalculable amounts of pressure on your shoulders." Mr John, the chemistry teacher, warned the class. 

 

Daehyun stuffed everything into his bags and zipped it up, ready to leave. His friends were just as excited as they were about to go watch the movie, 'Warrior' as well. 

 

"Oh thank Father, Son, and Holy Spirit that class is over!" Youngjae proclaimed. "What classes does the new girl take! Maybe we can invite the her to come to the movies with us as well!" he suggested. The group of other guys all cheered on in agreement. 

 

"Sorry guys, but I already asked her on another event!" Daehyun chuckled.

 

"So you're not coming to the movies with us?" Junhong, another friend of Daehyun, asked. His brown wacky hair and innocent eyes made him look like a puppy. 

 

"I'm sorry Z, but I promised to show her around. Next time, I swear I'll come along alright?" Daehyun replied. Junhong gave a sad nod in reply but immediately smiled again. Junhong is the same age as the rest of the guys, but he somehow looks like a little boy. 

 

"It's alright!" Junhong then walked to join the group of guys. 

 

"C'mon Dae, you're gonna bag on us for a new girl?" Youngjae asked, there was the tiniest hint of anger in his voice. 

 

"Don't put it that way, you know I would never miss out on any occasions with my boys! But just this once alright, I promised Z too!" Daehyun tried to convince Youngjae. 

 

He grumbled reluctantly in acceptance and once he did, Daehyun tackled him brotherly. They laughed and then after awhile, Daehyun went to look for Karrin while the rest went to watch the movie.

 

                                                            ~

 

"Hey!! Over here" Daehyun called out to Karrin who was waiting by the entrance of the main building. She turned to see him rushing towards her and crossed her arms, pretending to be disappointed. 

 

"How gentlemanly of you, making a lady while you take your time." Karrin said to Daehyun. 

 

"Hahaha, yeah well about that.. I'm really sorry, I got into a little complication with my friends." Daehyun smiled and scratched his head. 

 

"Still," Karrin was about to laugh any second now. "That's no way to make a woman of my standards wait."

 

"Look at that, our first fight. I could see our kids arguing already!" Daehyun joked. 

 

"What! ? Ew, no thanks!" Karrin turned back to look at Daehyun who was already laughing so hard that he was bent over on his knees for support. Karrin was blushing ever so slightly before it turned into annoyance. 

 

"I knew I could break you first, girls are hilarious when you push the right buttons." Daehyun managed to say as he gasped for air. 

 

"Ugh, and guys are all so immature, goodbye!" Karrin faked a yell and stormed off.

 

"Alright alright! I was just kidding! C'mon, let's go!" Daehyun started to control his laughter. He didn't want to abandon his friends for nothing. Karrin turned around all smiling and he when he realized that she was also fooling around, he gave a sigh of relief. 

 

When they reached the cheesecake shop, Daehyun ordered two slices of New York Cheesecake and settled down at a table for two. The sky was already yellow and orange when they took their first bite of the cake.

 

"This cheesecake is amazing!" Karrin exclaimed. 

 

"Right? I told you so!" Daehyun said. The two of them continued to eat the cake as Daehyun answered all of Karrin's queries about the area and about the people in school. For the most part, both of them were having the best time of their lives. 

 

"Alright my turn to ask you some questions. What are you afraid of?" Daehyun asked. 

 

"To be honest, I'm afraid of blood and like, dark allies in the night. I hate how there are people there sometimes and the things that they do creeps me out," Karrin confessed. "Are you afraid of anything?" 

 

Daehyun thought about it. "No, not really. I'm not trying to sound cool or anything, even though I already am, but nothing that I know of yet." 

 

"That's what the twins said!" Karrin laughed, but Daehyun looked a little more grave all of a sudden. 

 

"You talked to them, what did you ask about me?" Daehyun asked. Karrin could sense a little panic in his voice. 

 

"Nothing much, I just asked them what you like or dislike and what you were afraid of. Why, what's wrong?" Karrin was a little concerned. 

 

"Oh it's nothing. Sometimes the twins like to make fun of people by telling others nonsense." Daehyun reassured. At this very moment, his phone vibrated in his pocket and he pulled it out to read a message. Daehyun's face darkened a little more again. 

 

"Is something wrong?" Karrin questioned with more concern this time. 

 

"Oh, it's just that my parents went out again for a wedding dinner and they want me to get back home early to make sure the house won't be attacked by aliens... Okay, I was joking about the alien part, but I do have to go." Daehyun said with regret on his face. 

 

"It's fine, we're finished here anyway. Let's go!" Karrin got up and Daehyun did the same. 

 

"I trust that you can reach home safely?" Daehyun asked. 

 

"I'm not a helpless five year old girl, you know." Karrin smiled and waved goodbye before walking in the opposite direction. Daehyun smiled and waved too until she was out of sight, then he became grim. He slowly walked towards the railway station as the last light of day slowly seeped away. 

 

New message:

Daehyun, Officer Brock here. The household is still cordoned off and the CIS had already set up a small lab here. On our recent more thorough investigations, we have managed to gather a few new samples and evidences that suggest that the killer was still in the apartment when we were still there last night. We need you to come down again tonight if it's not to much trouble to help us verify a few things as well. Have a good rest before coming tonight.