The Investigation

The Two Sided Man

Tick tock the clock read 1:17am in the morning. It was difficult for Daehyun to keep his mind clear after such a tedious day filled with even more tedious activities, but he managed to stay awake by sitting by his desk with the light on, gently tapping his fingers on the table. He stared at his phone that has been placed in front of him, waiting for the typical message that was going to be sent to him during this time which allowed him to take on his other side.

 

BzztDaehyun's phone buzzed and he immediately picked it up. It was what he has been patiently waiting for all night: the cue from the officer. He went to the wardrobe to draw out his white shirt and tie again and began to suit up. As he adjusted his tie with the help of the mirror on the wardrobe door, he noticed that he looked like a zombie. His skin was a lot more pale and he had eye bags.

 

"No place like home." Daehyun sighed and crept out of the house as usual, not trying to wake anyone up as he left for his night job.

 

                         ~

 

When Daehyun reached the house of the crime, he was greeted at the front porch by Officer Brock.

 

"Mr Jung, glad you were able to come here tonight," Officer Brock patted Daehyun on his back. "Come on in, we can walk and speak at the same time."

 

As Officer Brock turned around, Daehyun quickly whipped out his pill bottle and swallowed a single Morphine pill before following the officer.

 

"So if I may ask, what new evidences have you guys found?" Daehyun inquired.

 

"Well this afternoon, we checked on the victim's phone records and it turns out, he has been having a pretty good time chatting with someone by the moniker 'Vixen'." The officer said as they approached the computer that had a window of all the phone's data displayed.

 

"The lastest message was from the victim to Vixen at 11:38pm, saying 'I can't wait for you to get over, baby.' Now if you noticed the time, that's only an hour before our guy here died and we were called." Officer Brock explained.

 

"Did you try tracking the Vixen's number?" Daehyun asked.

 

"We did, however when we tried to pinpoint the location of it, it disappeared off the grid. The Vixen probably used a burner phone." Officer Brock answered.

 

"So our victim invited the Vixen over and she managed to kill our victim by adding poison into his food. He must have really great social skills and trusted random people or he made a really careless mistake." Daehyun concluded.

 

Officer Brock looked at him in confusion. "What kind of... Mistake?"

 

"The same mistake a girl makes when a guy tries to slip drugs into her drink at a party while she is unaware. That kind of mistake." Daehyun said.

 

Suddenly, Officer Brock lit up. "That makes so much sense! Mr. Jung, I almost forgot to tell you, we looked up the past records of the victims and we found out that they have all been arrested or fined for different degrees of ual harassments!"

 

"Well, there you have it! Now for the main question. Why did you say that the killer might have still been around while we were here yesterday?" Daehyun questioned again.

 

"When we checked upstairs we found that the window has been tampered with. The latch was broken so the window could be opened. We don't know for sure if it was already like this or not, so I think this is where you step in."

 

Daehyun nodded and followed the officer upstairs to which the killer supposedly escaped from.

 

"Whoever who did it, it was expertly done. The broken latch is barely noticeable unless you touch it first hand." Officer Brock added.

 

The room was of a young girl. Drawings were pinned up on the cork board, pink wallpapers were fitted on all corners, multitude of soft toys were placed on the bed and dolls were neatly seated on the top shelf. Daehyun the bedside lamp and found out it gave off an allaying purple light.

 

"Could you give me a moment?" Daehyun asked the officer. He hesitated for a moment and nodded silently. "Shut the door on your way out, thank you."

 

Daehyun shut his eyes until he heard the door close. He took in a deep breath and then paused. Oh my God, I just killed someone. He went to examine the whole area behind the door. The door was wasn't swung open, it was opened carefully even though the police were here.

 

He stared at the entire room from the door and walked towards the bed to observe the carpet. He tugged at the furry carpet and tried to pull out a small tuft. The killer probably came here. The bed frame is low and the killer must have been quite large.

 

He stood up again to observe a picture frame beside the lamp. It was a picture of the victim, his wife and a little girl. He almost dismissed the picture when something caught his eye. A tear stain. The room is dark from this afternoon's investigation.

 

He walked to the other side of the bed which was directly facing the window. He observed every bit of the window. Smudges on the window had been wiped off at certain parts. The killer panicked, could've just opened the window but broke the latch instead.

 

Daehyun opened the window and leaned out to observe the view. There were bushes directly below that the killer could have landed on if he or she had really jumped out of the window.

 

Daehyun went downstairs and went to the area directly above the window, where the bushes were. He observed the bushes carefully and found what he was looking for. A huge section has been indented by a heavy weight. The twigs and leaves are broken and torn off.

 

Daehyun then entered the house again to find Officer Brock speaking with another officer. When he saw Daehyun approaching, he just patted the officer on the shoulder and he left.

 

"He's the officer assigned to guard the wife and daughter of the victim. He says that they are doing well." Officer Brock explained.

 

Daehyun nodded in acknowledgement and continued to speak "That's great. I can confirm for you that the killer was still here."

 

"Really, how?" Officer looked at Daehyun in disbelief. 

 

"The killer had to find somewhere to hide when the police arrived so she ran upstairs. Funny how the killer wandered into the daughter's room right? Well when the killer did so, she was temporarily stunned. If the killer was to have rushed into the room, there isn't time to waste so the door wouldn't have been controlled. But when I checked behind the door, the door knob didn't cause any tears or damage to the wallpaper of any sort." Daehyun explained. 

 

"So how does that prove the killer was still present?" Officer Brock asked. 

 

"It does. It also tells us what kind of person the killer was, the personality and even the approximate age." Daehyun continued. Officer Brock widened his eyes in surprise. 

 

"The killer definitely felt something. Like she remembered something from the past that she tried to forget. There was a picture by the bedside lamp just now and I saw a tear stain on it. Unless one of your investigators got overly emotional, the tear stain was still fresh. I understand that you were working in dark environments because you were looking for prints and other evidences this afternoon, that's why the tear stain was still ever so slightly moist." Daehyun said. 

 

"That's amazing!" Officer Brock exclaimed. 

 

"I just know people well." Daehyun commented. 

 

"Anyway, the killer must still be rather young. Probably early to mid twenties, because it was still an instinct for the killer to have hid herself under the bed. Full grown adults would usually be too big to hide under the low bed frame so they would obviously find somewhere else. I tried pulling out a tuft of fur from the carpet and it took some effort. So the fact that small patches of fur had already been ripped off the carpet must say something about the struggle for the killer to hide herself under the bed. She probably thought later on it wasn't such a good hiding spot and made a dash for the window when she heard the police coming up the steps. She had skill like you said, but why not just lift the latch open, why break it? Because the killer panicked. She could hear the footsteps and she had to get out quick." Daehyun concluded. 

 

"I... I have no idea what to say, that's just amazing!" Officer Daehyun exclaimed once more, clearly amazed by Daehyun's ability. 

 

"I don't think it's that great though, I may be wrong. After all it's only a reading. Who was the first officer to enter the room yesterday night after I left?" Daehyun asked. 

 

"I'll go find him, in the mean time, you take a break. It's not good for a person of your age to be working this hard into the night." Officer Brock advised. Daehyun just nodded in agreement and found a seat to relax a little. He wondered in his head, why did the killer cry at the sight of the picture. Who was special in the picture?

 

" Mr. Jung, this is Officer Hyo. He was the one in charge of the first investigation on the second floor last night." Officer Brock said. 

 

"Nice to meet you, Officer Hyo." Daehyun stood up to shake Officer Hyo's hand. 

 

"The pleasure is mine. I heard about your mystery solving skills. You really are something." Officer Hyo complimented. 

 

"I don't consider it anything big, really but thank you. I just need to ask you one question. Do you know approximately what time you started your investigation?" Daehyun asked. 

 

Officer Hyo thought about it for awhile. "I think it was about 2am in the morning... Yeah, it was around after you left." 

 

"Alright, so the killer left at around that time. I know that there aren't any security cameras around these streets but let's assume that the killer was running at a constant pace so how about street cameras from a three mile radius around here at about that time? We do have recorded footage right? Maybe we can spot the killer crossing roads or something." Daehyun suggested. 

 

Both officers nodded in approvement. Jung Daehyun was obviously a great mind. They were grateful that he was on the good side and did not use his amazing thinking abilities for evil. 

 

"Well, we'll try to get the footage and inform you about what we find as soon as possible. In the mean time, I think your work here is just about done already. Good job Mr. Jung, we're glad you're on our side." 

 

Daehyun just flashed a big but tired smile and exited the house ready to make for home. The events of the day had given him many things to think about. The one question that bugged Daehyun most was why the serial killer would have murdered three people and yet still have the humanity to cry over a family portrait. All Daehyun could think of currently is how long more before he reaches home and could just lay on his bed as the day starts to get older which each passing minute.