Defeat

The Infinite Struggle

"I'm Prince Dongwoo, and I challenge you!" Dongwoo said proudly as he grinned at the newest knight, walking over to the fallen knight's sword and picking it up. He tossed it into the air, catching it by the handle before pointing it at Hoya. "I'm also undefeated so this should be fun~"

Hoya glanced at Ravi, who was the commander of the knights, after looking at Dongwoo for a bit in confusion. "Is this really okay?" He asked, walking toward Ravi and moving to put his sword away.

"I'm afraid if you don't go along with the prince's whims you'll never hear the end of it." Ravi answered with a tired chuckle. He'd been the one that trained Dongwoo when he was a child and he'd created a monster. He remembered the wide-eyed 8-year-old child that came to him begging him to teach him how to sword fight, and the prince was so cute that he didn't have the heart to tell him "no".

Hoya sighed and glanced back at the playful expression on the prince's face. "I suppose I have no choice, then." He said with a frown. He wasn't too keen on fighting a member of the royal family. Would he be punished if he ended up hurting him? He could only imagine the trouble he'd be in if he were to injure the next heir to the throne. "Is he really undefeated?" He asked.

"Yeah, he's quite skilled. Don't hold back just because he's a prince, Hoya. He can tell the difference between a real fight and a fake one." Ravi advised, to which Hoya let out another frustrated sigh. 

"Alright then," Hoya answered, turning back toward the prince who stood waiting for him, bouncing on his heels in excitement. "I'll accept your challenge, your highness." He said politely with a bow, drawing his sword once more as his fellow knights started to murmur amongst themselves because of the duel about to unfold. 

"Perfect!" Dongwoo said proudly, his eyes narrowing as he got into a fighting stance, holding the sword up. "Come at me with everything you have, sir knight!"

Hoya said nothing in response and simply lunged toward him, swinging the sword at him, immediately clashing with the sword in Dongwoo's hand. The prince grinned, deflecting his attack and taking initiative himself, swinging his blade forward and watching as Hoya jumped back and blocked his weapon expertly. The two fought on even ground for a short while, their swords crashing together and grinding against one another, sending sparks flying. Dongwoo was no longer smiling and had this look of concentration on his face that stared right through Hoya. 

He could tell the prince's eyes were on victory, however he was looking for a quick win and was running out of stamina quickly. Hoya smirked, his own competitive nature starting to rise to the surface. He left defense mode and switched right to offense, starting to swing his sword with calculated movements, changing Dongwoo's expression from concentration to one of panic. It took Dongwoo everything he had to keep up, and he moved with more frantic motions, attempting to dodge every blow but he was losing speed. One final clash with Hoya's sword sent Dongwoo's sword flying from his hand and it clattered to the ground with Dongwoo falling back onto his , staring up at Hoya with an expression of shock and disbelief. 

Hoya stood over him and huffed out a breathy chuckle, his lips twitching up into a smirk. "I win." He said, pointing his sword at the prince to which the crowd of fellow knights shouted in victory, congratulating Hoya and causing Dongwoo's face to flush in embarrassment.

"No way." Dongwoo said, his eyes narrowing and his brows furrowing in anger as he pushed himself to his feet. "No way, I couldn't have lost." He muttered, his voice cracking a little. "You cheated! You had to have cheated! Nobody beats me!" he said, sounding like a spoiled brat. Some knights started to laugh while some started to leave the training grounds, satisfied now that the fighting was over.

"Dongwoo, calm down." Ravi said with a sigh, walking over and standing beside Hoya, earning himself a childish glare from the prince.

"Don't tell me what to do! You saw that he cheated, didn't you?!" Dongwoo shouted, pointing at Hoya accusingly. A bunch of the knights snickered and started murmuring amongst themselves, embarrassing the young man further, causing his face to flush red.

Hoya actually couldn't believe what he was seeing. Dongwoo was a grown man, a prince no less, and he was having a temper tantrum like a child. "If you couldn't handle losing maybe you shouldn't have challenged me to a fight." he said with a frown. How irritating, the longer he was around the childish prince the more aggravated he became.

"Shut up! You're a cheater and you know it!" Dongwoo snapped, sticking his tongue out at Hoya defiantly. 

"That's enough, Dongwoo." Ravi said firmly before Hoya could answer him, to which the prince pouted. "I'm not kidding."

"Whatever." Dongwoo muttered, shooting one last glare at Hoya. "This isn't over." He hissed, storming away and leaving behind a bewildered Hoya and a frustrated Ravi.

"I'm terribly sorry about him. It's been a while since he lost a fight." Ravi sighed heavily, rubbing the back of his neck. 

"I suppose royalty really are just a bunch of spoiled brats, aren't they?" Hoya said with a tsk, putting his sword back in its sheath. 

"Not necessarily, the King is very serious and puts the kingdom before everything else." Ravi explained, crossing his arms. "Dongwoo is the next heir but doesn't know the first thing about running a kingdom, all he wants to do is fight. Who knows, the fact that he lost might put him back on track, and make him take his role more seriously."

"Yeah," Hoya said with a shrug, though he seriously doubted that the prince would be set straight by a simple swordfight. Oh well, Ravi knew more about Prince Dongwoo than he did, maybe he'd turn into a respectable King.

--

Sunggyu was on his way down one of the many long hallways in the palace to fetch Woohyun from the music room so he could get changed for dinner. He stretched his arms above his head as he walked, several of the other servants bustling by and finishing their tasks as the day was coming to a close. He'd had a long day himself, dealing with Woohyun and his flirtatious antics when he was supposed to be studying, but such is life. He should probably be used to it by now, he supposed, but something about it still angered him when he saw Woohyun toying with a young maid's heartstrings.

As he turned a corner and started down a flight of stairs, he noticed one of the three princes running in his direction. He paused in his path to bow to the eldest prince, who wasn't paying attention in the least and even knocked Sunggyu off of his feet and flat on his in the middle of the stairway. "Yah! Prince Dongwoo! Watch where you're.. going." Sunggyu started to yell after him, only by the time he'd finished speaking Dongwoo was gone. Usually he'd apologize with a goofy smile, but this time he didn't stick around long enough to even notice that he'd knocked him down.

He pushed himself to his feet with a huff, brushing off his clothing before he resumed his task of finding Woohyun, who wasn't much further. He came upon the music room door which was wide open, from which he could hear piano music and the humming of his prince. He smiled to himself, not bothering to knock or draw attention to himself until the prince finished playing his piece. Woohyun was always very musically inclined and had the voice of an angel, it was a shame that his voice and good looks went to waste with his grease-ball nature. 

The music came to an end and Sunggyu took a moment to watch Woohyun's back as he sat back and stretched his arms before he knocked on the door, causing him to turn around with a smile. "Hey Sunggyu~" Woohyun said with a grin in his direction. 

Sunggyu bowed slightly to the prince and smiled. "Dinner's almost ready, we should get you changed." He said, walking toward the piano. 

"Oh, right. I didn't realize it was so late." Woohyun said with a soft chuckle, standing up. 

"Well you always have lost yourself in your music, ever since you were a child." Sunggyu reminded him pleasantly, following Woohyun just behind him as he exited the room and headed toward his chambers. 

Their walk was comfortable and silent, save for the sounds of their shoes as they hit the stone floor. Sunggyu always did enjoy moments like these, when Woohyun wasn't showing off for girls. Without the distraction of women, Woohyun was actually very pleasant to be around. However, as a prince, servants were almost always around, and the majority of them were female, so these moments were few and far between.

Sunggyu followed Woohyun into his bedroom and immediately walked over to the prince's wardrobe while Woohyun began to undress. Sunggyu gathered some dress clothes and brought them over to lay them onto the bed. "Hurry up, you don't want to be late." He reminded him. 

"Yeah, yeah, I know." Woohyun answered.

--

Woohyun and Myungsoo sat opposite each other at the dinner table, their eldest brother was nowhere to be found. Woohyun looked over his shoulder when he heard footsteps, half expecting to see Dongwoo strolling into the room, only to be disappointed. It was another servant carrying another tray of food to the table. 

"Where is Dongwoo-hyung?" Woohyun complained, to which Sunggyu sighed. 

"I don't think he's coming, you should start without him before the food gets cold." Sunggyu answered, leaning on the wall behind where Woohyun was sitting. 

"He's right," Myungsoo chimed in. "Though it isn't like hyung to miss a meal." He added quietly before he began to eat. 

"Didn't you hear? Prince Dongwoo lost a fight." Sungyeol said, leaning onto the chair beside Myungsoo with a grin. 

"No way, that's not possible." Woohyun argued with a wave of his hand. "He's probably just not hungry or something."

"Then why isn't he here?" Sungyeol said with a chuckle, picking a piece of meat from Myungsoo's plate and eating it with a happy hum. "He's always on time for meals, even when he's sick." 

"He's right." Myungsoo answered, ignoring the fact that his servant was picking at his food. "Word is there's a new knight, maybe he finally knocked hyung down a few pegs."

Woohyun looked at his younger brother with a sense of betrayal. "You're talking about our brother, Myungsoo. The undefeated Prince Dongwoo of the Infinite Kingdom!"

"You mean formerly undefeated." Sungyeol answered with a snicker.

"That might explain why he was in such a bad mood this afternoon." Sunggyu said with a hum in thought. "He looked like he was about to cry, from what I saw."

Woohyun, who deeply respected his brother and his passion, gave Sunggyu a wide-eyed expression, almost as if he were lying about Dongwoo. Sunggyu sighed and watched his prince as he pouted and turned back to his meal, popping a piece of tomato into his mouth. 

'Just perfect, now he's going to sulk.' Sunggyu thought, crossing arms. He never liked when Woohyun got upset but there were times, much like these, where Woohyun became disappointed and sulked like a little kid until something came around to distract him from whatever was upsetting him. 'Honestly, he's such a brat.' Sunggyu thought with a sigh.

His distraction arrived shortly after they started their meal in silence, in the form of a kitchen maid, carrying out a tray of fresh fruits. She was young and pretty, and one of the maids that usually responded well to Woohyun's advances. Sunggyu frowned as she approached the table, silently wishing that the king was joining them for dinner so Woohyun wouldn't flirt with her and irritate him, but the king left that afternoon on business. 

Woohyun looked at the maid who placed the tray on the table and suddenly his mood did a 180-degree turn. He actually smiled at her and sat up a bit with a smirk. "Hey Jaehee~ how appropriate is it that you're bringing us fruit, they're almost as sweet as you~"

Sunggyu resisted the urge to groan at the cheesy pick-up line, and he frowned a little deeper, watching as Jaehee giggled back to the prince. "Oh stop," She said with a soft blush. Myungsoo and Sungyeol exchanged a glance as Woohyun and the maid started a very flirtatious and frankly inappropriate conversation. He was a prince. He shouldn't conduct himself in such a way as to flirt with every pretty girl that crosses his path. 

Sunggyu watched the two flirt and he felt his face getting hot and a knot forming in his stomach. When the maid finally excused herself to continue her duties, Sunggyu watched as Woohyun made a heart symbol with his fingers for her. He couldn't take it any longer and walked up to the table, picking up a baguette and hitting Woohyun upside the head with it. 

"You are a prince! Do you have any idea how that makes the kingdom look?" Sunggyu snapped, dropping the baguette back on the table. "Flirting with every girl you see isn't the behavior fit of someone of your position!" he corrected him sternly, blushing when he noticed Myungsoo and Sungyeol staring at him, as well as several other servants who were also in the room. 

Sunggyu's heart sank. How could he have let his temper get so out of hand? He even struck Woohyun. His face flushed several shades of red, and he felt his chest tighten as he watched the prince look up at him. His heartbeat escalated and he felt as if he'd just royally screwed up. Sunggyu turned and ran from the dining hall, running out of the castle and rushing into the garden to calm down. How dare he strike a member of the royal family?

"Sunggyu!" Woohyun called out to him, causing him to jump. Apparently the prince followed him out into the garden. "Sunggyu, what was that about?!" He asked loudly, jogging toward him. 

"Nevermind that, I lost my temper there and I swear it'll never happen again." Sunggyu answered him, not turning to look at him in the least. He had no idea why he'd reacted the way he did but he had no way of taking it back now. All he could do was pray that nobody would report this incident to the king, he could lose his head for striking someone from the royal family.

"Sunggyu, come on, look at me." Woohyun said, placing a hand on his shoulder and turning Sunggyu so he faced him.

"W-What?" He asked the prince, thoroughly embarrassed because of his outburst. 

"It's not a big deal, Sunggyu.. My father wasn't here and I was acting inappropriately, I'm not mad at you or anything." Woohyun said with a sigh, dropping his hand from his shoulder. Sunggyu tightened his mouth into a firm line and nodded, knowing that if he were to say anything now he might regret it. He hated getting angry and emotional. "Come on, why don't we head back?"

Sunggyu shook his head. "I need a minute to cool down, I'll catch up." He said quietly, receiving an odd expression from Woohyun. 

"Well, alright then." Woohyun answered, giving him a smile. "Don't be too long, okay?" 

"Y-Yeah.. okay." Sunggyu answered before he watched Woohyun head back through the palace doors. He took a deep breath and sighed heavily, wrapping his arms around himself as he moved to sit down on a stone bench in the garden. He wondered why exactly he'd reacted so violently, but couldn't come up with a solution. 'Oh well, I'm probably just tired.'  

 

 


 

Hi there dear subscribers~! ゚・✿ヾ╲(。◕‿◕。)╱✿・゚

Thanks so much for waiting for the new chapter, we worked really hard on this one 《《o(≧◇≦)o》》and we really hope you like, as much as I do! Woooooooooooogyuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!! (੭ु ›ω‹ )੭ु⁾⁾♡ 

 

What's going to happen next? Will Dongwoo fight Hoya again? Will there be even more woogyu? (I really hope so >_<) Will Myungsoo and Sungyeol get there own part? find out next chapter! ;D

 

allie-san and Kurisuchin signing off!