2/4

Shatter Me

Kyung Soo spaced out as he ducked on the spagetti with his fork in silence as Chanyeol and Baekhyun stared at him confusely.

"Are you okay?" Chanyeol asked as Kyung Soo gained his conciousness.

"Are you sick or what?" Baekhyun put his hand on Kyung Soo's forehead but felt nothing abnormal with his temperature.

"I'm not."

"Then why?" Chanyeol asked again as he shoved the cheese cake.

"I saw Eun Soo, entered a cafe at 11 p.m in the night. And I saw Minseok hyung there too. They seemed to form a band because I saw people there too but failed in recognizing them," Kyung Soo explained as Baekhyun's jaw hung open.

"Wow, such a coincidence. I guess that you're curious with that girl," Chanyeol winked.

"I don't know. She have a light in her. Even she looks cold," Kyung Soo said as Baekhyun nodded.

"Yes she is."

"Then, want to walk to that faculty?" Chanyeol grinned as he pointed at the Art Performer Faculty.

"I don't have any classes left so, why not?" Kyung Soo said as they continued eating.

They went out from their faculty and spotted some students with their music instruments beneath the park in front of Art Performer Faculty.

"Chanyeol!!" A familiar voice called as the three boys looked at the source.

"Baro! Sandeul!" Baekhyun greeted as they hugged each other.

Baro and Sandeul turned to Kyung Soo and gave him a bone crushing hug.

"What are you guys doing here?" Sandeul asked friendly.

"Our little Soo is searching for someone," Chanyeol said as Kyung Soo kicked his feet.

"Yaah! Can you please keep quiet about that!" He protested as Baro and Sandeul shocked to see such side from the first time quiet Kyung Soo.

"Sorry sorry!" Chanyeol whined as Baekhyun laughed.

"Where are the others?" Baekhyun looked around.

"Shinwoo and Jinyoung hyung got a practical test about their skill today," Baro explained.

"Wanna see our canteen?" Sandeul offered.

"Is there any snacks or ice cream there?" Chanyeol's question made Baekhyun pinched his arm.

"Follow us!" Baro cheerfully led them to the canteen.

***

Eun Soo put down her bow. She practiced for the test ahead as someone knocked her practice room.

"What are you doing here?" Eun Soo said as Luna stepped inside.

"Here," Luna put a bowl of black bean noodles as Eun Soo's eyes sparkled.

"Thanks," Eun Soo grabbed it and ate it quickly.

"You should take a rest for days. Look at your fingers and eyes," Luna said but Eun Soo seemed not to pay attention to her again because of the delicious black bean noodles.

"Are you okay?" Luna asked again after Eun Soo finished eating.

"I'm fine."

"Your eyes are swollen. Have you get a good night sleep?" Luna asked as Eun Soo chuckled.

"I won't never have a good night sleep. You know that I need to work for my life's sake. Besides, I need to hold this scholarship. Really," Eun Soo stared at the sky from the window.

"Then, what should I bring tomorrow? Cheese cake as dessert?" Luna smiled.

"Oh I'll love that," Eun Soo replied as Luna was glad to see this side of her again.

***

Kyung Soo went out from the canteen and spaced out again.

"Yeol? Baek?" He murmured but found no one.

"Aish," He ruffled his hair in frustation as he realized that he got lost there.

"Oh I'll love that," a familiar voice made Kyung Soo's eyes widened as he turned aside to face a door where the sound located.

The door quickly opened, leaving Kyung Soo gulped to see Luna went out.

"Oh! Kyung Soo!" Luna said as someone's head popped out from the room.

"Good evening," Kyung Soo bowed as Luna laughed.

"Don't be too formal. We are all in the same anyway?"

"All?" Kyung Soo asked.

"Oh Eun Soo, you look more mature than us," Luna said as Eun Soo shrugged to hear that.

"I'm not that old," Eun Soo said as she closed the door behind.

"What are you doing here anyway?" Luna turned to Kyung Soo.

"I lost," Kyung Soo blushed as Luna laughed and Eun Soo didn't believe to see Kyung Soo lost in the most familiar part of this building.

"Have you text them?" Luna asked as Kyung Soo's eyes widened and he blushed, feeling so stupid for not using his phone well.

He took his phone, spotted 10 missed calls, and called Chanyeol.

"Yaah! Soo! Where are you?!" Chanyeol shouted.

"I'm near the practice room corridor. Where are you?"

"In front of the building. Should we go up and get you?"

"No need to."

"Okay we'll wait here."

"So?" Luna asked.

"They're already outside."

"Let's go together then," Luna said as Eun Soo followed them.

Kyung Soo tried to not staring too long towards Eun Soo. This girl was something mysterious to him. Glad that Eun Soo didn't catch him staring at her, he walked casually until Baekhyun and Chanyeol hugged him.

"Do you want to go home now?" Baekhyun asked.

He stared at them. He wanted to do something crazy today to ease the curiosity.

"I need to go to the pharmacy today. Need to restock the medicines in home," He did mean to go because he needed to search for a medicine to finish his project not to restock the medicines.

"Okay fine then," Baekhyun replied.

"I need to go now. Bye everyone," Kyung Soo smiled as he went away.

He wander around the stores and ended up in the book store near the pharmacy. It was still 6 p.m and he didn't want to go to that cafè without Eun Soo there. But when his stomach growled because it was near the dinner time, he decided to pay a visit first.

"Welcome," a man said as Kyung Soo gasped to see such a perfect sclupture of someone.

He entered the cafè and sat randomly near the stage. The man went to him.

"So what do you want?" Kyung Soo remembered about this man.

"Vanilla latte."

"Okay got it. Please wait and I'll be here soon," The man smiled as Kyung Soo felt a glare from the younger man behind the counter.

"Sehun, stop staring," Luhan said as Sehun turned to see Luhan.

"You are overly nice to that boy," Sehun said as Luhan laughed.

"Jealous much, my barista?" Luhan teased the younger as Sehun pouted.

Kyung Soo smiled at those two and continued waiting. The man finally came with his Vanilla Latte.

"Should you eat something? You seem hungry," The man asked as Kyung Soo stared at him wide eyed while wandering how this person spotted the hungry face of him.

"I can recommend the red velvet cake. By the way, my name is Luhan," Luhan smiled as Kyung Soo felt more sharp glares beside him.

"My name is Kyung Soo. Umm... I'm sorry but he seems want to kill me," Kyung Soo looked down as Luhan stared at Sehun, signalling him to go inside to the kitchen.

"Don't worry. He's just jealous," Luhan chuckled.

"What a lovely boyfriend," Kyung Soo said as Luhan grinned.

"Yes he is. I need to go back there. Hope you enjoy the latte and I'll be back with your red velvet."

Kyung Soo stared at the clock, 8 p.m. Three more hours and Eun Soo would come. He texted his mom, saying that he'll study in the pharmacy. What a dangerous white lie.

Sehun stared at the boy as Luhan smacked his waist.

"Don't stare to long. He'll suffer because of you," Luhan said.

"What's he doing here? Alone? Doing nothing?" Sehun grew suspicious.

"It's his bussiness," Luhan replied.

"Oh it almost time. My night will always be better to hear your voice," Sehun smiled as Luhan went to change his clothes.

Kyung Soo shocked to stare around and found many people filled the empty seats. He didn't realize that the amount was increasing while he's waiting. A person entered the cafè as he turned around to see his senior, Minseok, walking inside the cafe, humming a famous song. The older stared around just to find Kyung Soo there.

"Eh? Kyung Soo? Is that you?" Minseok greeted.

"Good night sunbaenim," Kyung Soo greeted politely.

"Naah don't be that formal. Hyung will be just fine. What are you doing here? Don't you have classes in the morning tomorrow?" Minseok asked as Kyung Soo got confuse on how to answer the question without being so obvious.

"Minseok hyung," a familiar voice said as Kyung Soo was glad to see Joonmyeon entered the cafè with Yixing.

"Well who is this?" Yixing smiled as Minseok introduced Kyung Soo.

"Yaah! Eun Soo wait for me!" a voice heard as Kyung Soo flinched to hear her name.

Kyung Soo watched as Eun Soo stared at him intensely.

"What are you doing here?" Eun Soo's question made everyone froze and stared at Kyung Soo who gulped nervously.

"So you know each other?" Minseok broke the silence.

"I-I just happen to pass by and interested to pay a visit," Kyung Soo amazed because he actually could lie like that.

"Fine then," Eun Soo said as she walked backstage with her violin.

"Don't even matter about her behavior. She always like that formal. Even to us," Yixing said as Kyung Soo nodded.

"So, wanna see us performing?" Luhan asked.

"I'm here for that," Kyung Soo admitted.

"Enjoy then," Tao smiled as Joonmyeon sat beside Kyung Soo to watch Yixing.

Kyung Soo stared at Eun Soo who plugged the jack to the amplifier. She lifted her bow and tested it. Luhan put his thumbs up as Yixing started to play the piano.

"Wow I love this song," Joonmyeon said as All Of Me from John Legend started.

Kyung Soo amazed when Eun Soo playing too. Luhan and Minseok's gentle voice, along with Yixing's piano and Eun Soo's violin. That was the reasong why people came around. Suddenly three young man stepped to the front of the stage and danced slowly along the music. He didn't recognized one of them. There was Sehun and Tao.

"It is Jongin, or Kai as his stage name," Joonmyeon explained right before Kyung Soo went to ask.

Kyung Soo took another glance to Eun Soo. He gasped in shock to see her as Joonmyeon laughed to see his reaction.

A genuine smile formed on her lips as she closed her eyes along the music.

***

Eun Soo walked to the cafè that night and suddenly someone grabbed her violin case. She turned around just to find Tao trailing behind her like a lost puppy. She tried to stay calm but her patience didn't last until she reached the cafè.

"Yaah! Eun Soo wait for me!" Tao said as Eun Soo opened the door just to find someone other than her band members sat there and talked with them.

She stared confusely on why Kyung Soo was there.

"What are you doing here?" Eun Soo finally got something to ask as everyone froze on their place.

"So you know each other?" Minseok broke the silence.

"I-I just happen to pass by and interested to pay a visit," Kyung Soo said as Eun Soo nodded.

"Fine then," She said as she walked backstage with her violin.

She unpacked the violin and plugged a jack to her eletric violin and another jack to the amplifier. Eun Soo played each of the strings until Luhan, who be the person with perfect pitch aside of Yixing, put his thumbs up. She practiced this song before, All of Me from John Legend. Because her idol in violin, Lindsey Stirling collaborated with him, she decided to copy the play and told the band members to sing this song days ago. It turned out well as Yixing grinned and Minseok happily clapped like a seal after they ended the practice.

Eun Soo liked this kind of song. Sweet but sad at the same time. She remembered about her mom, how she struggled to make Eun Soo smiled all days in her childhood. She gave all of herself to Eun Soo. But after her mom passed away, she just can't smile freely again. She missed her, so much, and she was pouring all her emotions into the song, embraced every moments with her mom in her mind.

She tried to smile that free and music was the one who made her smile.

***

Kyung Soo unconciously clapped his hands, hard in happiness as everyone stared at him. Joonmyeon poked Kyung Soo's shoulder as the younger realized and blushed because of his exaggerate act.

"They are really good," Kyung Soo commented as Joonmyeon laughed.

"They are always good," He added as Kyung Soo nodded.

He remembered about Eun Soo who smiled back then. Her eyes seemed teary as they bowed to say thank you. Yixing continued to play some instrumental song as Eun Soo accompanied him. Kyung Soo amazed by the way they connected to each other.

"You're great as always!" Sehun commented as he came to Luhan and Minseok.

"You three are great too," Luhan replied as Sehun blushed.

"Oh Kyung Soo, this is Jongin, or Kai," Minseok introduced Kyung Soo as Jongin blushed and shook hands with him.

He chuckled to see the different side in Jongin. Once he was a dance god and now he was just a normal young boy. He stunned to hear that Yixing and Eun Soo ended their song and Eun Soo went down from the stage. Her radiation seemed to swallow Kyung Soo in it.

"Oh my," Minseok realized as they all followed Kyung Soo's glance.

"So do you like her?" Luhan asked as Kyung Soo nodded unconciously, making they smiled.

"So that's why you are here," Yixing said.

"What?" Kyung Soo gained his conciousness and confused to see everyone, smiling at him.

"What a brief confession," Sehun commented.

"What confession?" Kyung Soo blinked few times as they all bursted in laugh.

"Nothing, just forget it. Eun Soo!" Tao called as the girl walked to join them.

"Okay, everyday's routine. Let's accompany her," Minseok said as the boys nodded and Kyung Soo was glad that Eun Soo was in the right hand with them.

"Fine then. Even if I say no, you guys will following me and that creep me out," Eun Soo said as everyone smiled and she walked to the door.

Kyung Soo felt his phone vibrated. Oh no, he thought as he saw 40 missed calls from the same number, his mom's.

"Guys, I-I need to go back home soon! Thank you for today and see you again," Kyung Soo ran before someone could reply.

"What happen with him?" Tao asked as they all shook their head and Eun Soo stared until Kyung Soo vanished from there.

Kyung Soo ran to his home and quickly opened the door just to be greeted by his furious mom.

"Where have you been?! I called you several times!" She asked in high tone as Kyung Soo clucnhed his fist, trying to stay calm because being mad wasn't his character.

"I'm sorry. I was studying with Minseok hyung in a cafe when you called," He lied again, smoothly, even it wasn't a full lie because he was with him for sure, minus the others.

"Minseok? That smart senior?" His mom asked as Kyung Soo nodded.

"Okan I forgive you. But please don't do it again. I'm worried, Kyung Soo."

"I won't, mom," He actually prepared another lies ahead.

He sighed in relieve and entered his room. He felt tired to keep obeying his mom. It was her decision to enter Kyung Soo to the Medicinal Faculty. He wasn't that dumb in science and kept his record safe for this two years. But once, he wanted to rebel, to do what he wanted.

***

Eun Soo entered her practice room after her theory classes. She unpacked her violin and cleaned it while watching everyone on the park. Her vision landed to the park of the faculty accross hers. The Medicinal Faculty. The one with the smell of medicine all over the place. It's not that she didn't like it, but it made her dizzy for sure. Especially once when she needed to meet Minseok there just to tell the list of the songs for the perfomance in the cafe.

Suddenly she stunned to see a boy, wearing his white laboratory clothes, ran to meet his friends. Who was the boy's name again? Oh, it's Kyung Soo. She usually didn't pay attention to someone but this boy got her attention, okay, not a full attention, she didn't want to admit it anyway. The boy smiled as he walked inside the building with his two bestfriends. The one with gigantic body Chanyeol and the pretty one, Baekhyun.

Sighing, she opened her bag and took some papers. Notes of some famous song writted nicely in there. She heard the song and decided to compose it into the melody for violin and added some improvisations here and there according to her sense in music. A paper stunned her vision to it.

Shatter Me.

She loves this song anyway. It made her imagine the struggle to be free. Someone was shattering her in the past, her father and until now, she didn't feel anything to that man again, not after all the things happened. She wished not to be found by her father. Not now. She wanted to reach her dream of becoming the best violinist in a prestigious orchestra or being a soloist like her idol eventhough she didn't take any classic major. The lecturer adored her anyway and it's not that she liked to be adored but that's why she got the scholarship.

Kyung Soo vanished from her vision as she lifted the bow and played.

Suddenly a knock heard as she ended playing the third song. Luna rushed as she came inside, shocking Eun Soo with her panting breath.

"Are you okay?" Eun Soo automatically asked as Luna put her hands up, signalling that she needed to control her breath after running hysterically.

"What happened?" Eun Soo asked again, feeling something wasn't right.

"They know."

"Who knows?"

"The lecturers, they found out about your father," Luna said as Eun Soo quickly packed her violin and shoved in all her papers.

"Where are you going?" Luna shouted as Eun Soo ran outside the room.

"Far away from here," Eun Soo answered as she ran downstairs.

She hold her tears and went to the back of the opposite faculty. Searching for a place to hide instead of hiding in her faculty. She found a small park behind the medicinal faculty and sat there. Luckily, the student were now in their labs and classes. Besides, the place looked secured enough. She sat on the bench and took her violin.

She wanted to stay independent to herself, not to lying into her father's name in music. Eun Soo is Eun Soo, not the famous musicians's daughter who used his connections to enter the music world. Eun Soo lifted the bow and placed it on the strings. Playing the song fiercely, putting her shattered fears and hatred in there, like struggled to free herself.

***

Kyung Soo went out from the library, feeling the urge to vomit because all this subjects made him sick. He didn't have any classes left because he was smart way back before to have a free time. He walked to the canteen when he heard something that shocked her.

Shatter Me? He thought and tried to search for the source of that sharp melodies that he heard before in the festival. He knew who played this.

Suddenly the song stopped, almost too fast. Kyung Soo grew worry and finally found a person at the back small park, sitting on the bench, with a bleeding left cheek.

Bleeding?

He ran to see Eun Soo, holding her violin with broken strings as he gasped to see her grazed cheek.

"Are you okay?" He walked closer just to find Eun Soo's tears started to fall down.

He ruffled his hair in desperation. What should he do? He then remembered his lab box and opened it. Right, some cottons. He took his water bottle and poured some water onto the cotton.

"Clean your wounds," Kyung Soo gently gave it to her as she realized that her cheek was now bleeding.

Eun Soo didn't move an inch and it worried Kyung Soo to see the blood. It must be her violin strings which snapped to her face. He leaned closer and wiped the blood away. Eun Soo didn't flinch, she just froze there.

"Please say something," Kyung Soo said.

"Thanks," Eun Soo at last murmured as Kyung Soo sighed in relief.

"We should go to the health room. Follow me," Kyung Soo put her violin and the bow into the case, zipped it, and brought t right away.

"Come on," Kyung Soo said again as Eun Soo stood up and trailed him.

"Oh hello Kyung Soo," a female voice heard as Eun Soo gasped to see such a beauty.

"Good evening, Taeyeon nuna. I brought her here because her cheek was bleeding before," Kyung Soo greeted as he pulled Eun Soo inside the room.

"Oh poor lady. Let me help you," Taeyeon motioned Eun Soo to sit on the bed and she quickly took the medicine also poured it gently to the cotton.

"It will hurt a bit," Taeyeon said as she put the cotton to her cheek, leaving Eun Soo closed her eyes and bit her lips, trying not to scream because of the pain.

"What happened with her, Soo?" Taeyeon asked.

"She-she is not a student here. She played the violin and the strings broke and snapped onto her cheeks," Kyung Soo explained.

"As I thought before. You aura is different so you're not a student in this faculty. She will be fine. Guess you need to take her home safely, in case her wounds open again," Taeyeon suggested as Eun Soo shook her head.

"I can go home by myself," Eun Soo at last spoke.

"No, I insist you to let me accompany you home," Kyung Soo said as Taeyeon shocked to hear the different tone in Kyung Soo's words.

Taeyeon gave the medicine to Eun Soo as she bowed politely while saying thank you. Kyung Soo was glad to see Eun Soo trailing behind him to the outside of the faculty.

"Give my violin back," Eun Soo recognized Kyung Soo's belongings and it seemed heavy to hold the lab box and her violin case.

"No, I'm bringing it for you."

"I don't want to be a burden to you. So please give it back and I'll let you accompany me home," Eun Soo said as Kyung Soo surrender and gave her violin.

They walked outside the university in silence. Eun Soo drowned in her mind as she showed the way. Kyung Soo didn't say a word too. He was confused on why the hell Eun Soo played the violin to hard so the strings broke.

"How about your strings?" Kyung Soo finally broke the silence.

"I'll change it," Eun Soo answered shortly.

"No, it will hurt your fingers."

"It won't. Why you care so much?" Eun Soo snapped as Kyung Soo gained his conciousness.

"I'm sorry. I just worrying. I'm sorry for interupting you," Kyung Soo gently answered as Eun Soo shocked to see the mature side of him.

"Fine," Eun Soo turned to the left as Kyung Soo saw a flat building ahead.

"So you live here."

"Yes I am. You should go home too by the way. Thank you for saving me. But don't pity me, please. I can do it by myself," Eun Soo said as Kyung Soo nodded.

Eun Soo turned to walk upstairs while Kyung Soo called her again.

"If you have a problem. Don't run away from it. I should say that to myself too. Good evening and please treat your wounds well," Kyung Soo said as Eun Soo froze and felt her heartbeat skipped a second.