Chapter 2

Where There is Desire

With one final exhausted grunt Chanyeol stuffs the last box of diapers into their hall closet which had to be emptied. Now there’s a pile of coats and sweaters on the floor of their bedroom closet that will probably be there until next winter.

 

Finding the apartment to be unusually silent, Chanyeol decides to check up on his husband, who was writing thank you cards last he checked, ignoring his grumbling stomach.

 

An overwhelming desire to snuggle Baekhyun like a cute puppy overcomes Chanyeol once he spots the smaller man who has fallen asleep, pen in hand. It seems Kyungsoo and Junmyeon will be getting some drool along with their card.

 

“Baek, wake up.” Said man simply scrunches his nose and lies on the other side of his face. Chanyeol just smiles moving to the other side as well.

 

“Come on, if you’re tired go sleep on the bed. It’s not good for you to sleep like this, you’re neck will get sore. And then you’ll be in pain which will make you stressed, which will make the baby stressed and—“

 

Something else Baekhyun has learned is how much of a hold he has over his husband. Whenever he wants something from Chanyeol all he has to do is kiss him. And right now he really needs Chanyeol to stop rambling and let him sleep.

 

Baekhyun sinks his slender fingers into Chanyeol’s dark locks, deepening the kiss. The combination of icy fingers against heated skin has Chanyeol keening.

 

“What was that for?” His voice cracks but Chanyeol is too doped up on Baekhyun to be embarrassed.

 

“You are rambling.”

 

“Oh.” A disappointed pout.

 

“And I just really want to kiss you. Thank you for being so concerned. You’re going to be a great dad you know that?” Baekhyun slides his thumb across Chanyeol’s lips hoping to take away the younger’s pout. And it works because when the puppy of a man looks up there is a shy smile and pretty blush across his cheeks.

 

“I don’t know about you but I’m in the mood for some cuddling. Join me?” Chanyeol looks at Baekhyun with a faraway look in his eyes. Under his suit jacket and coat last night, Chanyeol couldn’t see his husband’s body but now, with only a plain t-shirt, he can see Baekhyun’s body clearly. The bump is slight but it’s there.

 

“Yeol?” Without hesitation Chanyeol clambers from the floor and rushes to Baekhyun. He pulls the smaller tightly but gently into his embrace, taking in the pure scent of Baekhyun.

 

“I love you so much.” This time Baekhyun is the one blushing.

 

“I do, too Yeol. I love you too Yeol.”

 

 

---

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol sleep pressed up against each other until the morning turns to afternoon. But when the smaller man awakes he finds the bed empty. It’s just him and their baby.

 

“Hey dot, did you sleep well? Cause papa did.” Baekhyun takes advantage of a Chanyeol-less bed and stretches out like a cat, hand on his tummy.

 

“And daddy too.” Baekhyun turns to see Chanyeol leaning against the threshold with food in his hands.

 

Food

 

The smell of greasy bacon sends Baekhyun flying to the bathroom with Chanyeol yelling after him to not run because he is pregnant. But if he didn’t move quickly he would’ve thrown up all over their bedroom floor.

 

Chanyeol appears as Baekhyun is emptying his stomach for the third time. Just as he thinks his body is finished another wave of nausea hits. By this time Chanyeol is kneeling right beside him, hand rubbing soothing circles into Baekhyun’s back to make the necessary evil as comfortable as possible.

 

“I’m sorry. Was it the bacon?” Baekhyun nods silently while Chanyeol helps him rinse out his mouth.

 

“It’s okay. Don’t be sorry. I’ll just have some toast and fruit.” The brunet tries to push pass Chanyeol but is pressed against the rim of the sink.

 

“Chanyeol, what are you—“ Baekhyun’s body begins to heat up when his husband exposes his tummy and crouches down.

 

“Hi baby, this is your daddy. Do you not like bacon? I’m sorry it upset you. I promise to do whatever it takes to make you happy always.” Chanyeol looks up just in time for a drop of Baekhyun’s tears to fall on his cheek.

 

“Baek, why are you crying?” Chanyeol pulls Baekhyun into him.

 

“I don’t know. Hormones.” Chanyeol chuckles.

 

“Wait, Yeol, what time is it?”

 

“12:30, why?” Baekhyun gasps and pushes away from Chanyeol. The taller follows his husband to the closet where the brunet is in the process of dumping out their sock drawer.

 

“Babe, what’s going on? What are you looking for?”

 

“I have a doctor’s appointment at one! Where are all the socks without holes?!”

 

“They are all worn so I threw them in the washer. Baek, calm down—“

 

“Why would you do that Yeol?! Do you not want me to go to this appointment? Huh?! Do you not care about our baby’s health? And don’t tell me to calm down you’re not—“ Chanyeol holds the frantic male in his arms though he resists and continues to do so until Baekhyun gives into his tears and stops fighting. Chanyeol gently his husband’s hair, rocking side to side.

 

“I’m sorry.” Baekhyun mumbles into Chanyeol’s chest.

 

“Hormones?” Baekhyun hits Chanyeol and Chanyeol knows everything will be all right.

 

---

 

Baekhyun winces as his OB/GYN applies the conductive gel to his stomach, squeezing Chanyeol’s hand which the taller takes in stride.

 

As soon as the doctor turns on the machine and noise fills the once silent room, Baekhyun feels his heart rate pick up speed and Chanyeol must feel it too because he leans down and whispers, “Ready for this? I’ll be right here with you.” Baekhyun presses his lips to Chanyeol’s cheek in appreciation.

 

They are so lost in the moment that Baekhyun doesn’t feel the doctor sliding the receiver across his stomach and in turn fails to notice the images appearing on the monitor.

 

“There it is. Say hi to your baby.” The doctor sing-songs.

 

In that moment Baekhyun’s world comes to a stand still and he forgets to breathe. Right before him is the most beautiful creature he has ever laid eyes on (and Chanyeol, of course) and even if it does look like only a bean right then Baekhyun knows he already loves their baby, their little bean so much. So much so that it scares him a little but he doesn’t let Chanyeol know.

 

“Now it is too early to hear the heartbeat but at this very moment your baby does have a tiny little heart that is beating as well as a digestive system, backbone, and spinal cord.”

 

“Do you hear that Yeol? Our baby, its heart is beating.” Chanyeol sweetly presses his forehead against Baekhyun’s.

 

“I heard, babe, I heard.”

 

The doctor smiles upon the young couple.

 

“You two are very sweet. I will get out of your way once I write you the prescription for your prenatal vitamins. And Baekhyun, I know you want this baby to be happy and healthy so eat healthy, exercise, and your happiness is also important so relax and don’t stress. And dad,” The doctor turns to Chanyeol, “my only suggestion to you is to make baby and papa here happy, okay?”

 

“Yes, ma’am.”

 

Once left alone Chanyeol helps Baekhyun clean off the gel while the latter is lost in his thoughts, lips stretched in a dopey smile.

 

“What are you thinking of?” Baekhyun catches Chanyeol off guard by planting a kiss to his lips.

 

“About how much I love you and the fact that we’re having a baby. A baby, Channie, a baby. Not just a baby, our baby. We must’ve saved a country in our past lives or something, how did we get so lucky? Some people can’t even have babies and here we are two—“ Suddenly Baekhyun is at a loss for words. He catches Chanyeol’s eyes and know that he’s thinking the same thing too.

 

Junmyeon

 

“Oh, gosh Yeol. I was so preoccupied with how I was going to tell you, I didn’t even think about—and Kyungsoo…” Chanyeol wraps his arm around Baekhyun sympathetically.

 

“Baek, he’s your brother. He’s happy for you.” Baekhyun buries his face in the crook of Chanyeol’s neck.

 

“I know he is. But still…he and Kyungsoo have been trying for a year and a half, now we just swoop in and…”

 

“No stressing, love bug, remember? If you’re that worried you should talk to him.”