Chapter 1

Where There is Desire

“Chan-“

During the first few months of their marriage Baekhyun very quickly became immune to the surprises Chanyeol cooked up while his husband was away at work. But the sight before Baekhyun on this night is not something he was expecting.

Baby books, toys, clothes, a crib and boxes upon boxes of diapers spill into the foyer from the living room. Baekhyun instantly breaks into cold sweat, grip tightening around his bag strap.

He knows is the only thought that registers in the music teacher’s head.

“Chanyeol?” Said man trips into view accompanied by high pitched squeaking of toys.

He doesn’t know. He’s too calm.

“Honey, is there something you need to tell me? Because according to Junmyeon we are,” Chanyeol refers to the card in his hand, “expecting a “bundle of joy”. Oh and we’re registered. At Babies R Us.” The giant of a man waves his hands over the array of items occupying their tiny apartment as if Baekhyun were oblivious to everything.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol hold a steady gaze until the former could no longer deal with the guilt.

“Damn it, Junmyeon.” Baekhyun mutters.

“What?”

“I’m sorry. I was going to tell you-“

“Tell me what?” Baekhyun suddenly does not feel so well. His stomach churns and Chanyeol’s looking at him with the kicked puppy expression he is so good at.

“I’m pregnant.”

“What?”

“I said I’m pregnant.”

“Baek, I can’t-“

“I’m pregnant!” After the initial shock Chanyeol nods rather indifferently which worries Baekhyun more. He expected a stronger reaction from Chanyeol because having kids was all the man ever talked about aside from his music.

“When exactly were you planning to tell me? Tonight? Tomorrow? Next week? All our friends knew before me. Do you know how stupid I felt when the delivery truck came this afternoon and I told the guy he got the wrong address because there were no babies in this household?”

“I’m sorry, Yeol.” Baekhyun cannot bring himself to look at his husband. He curses the hot tears trailing down his face. He is too busy drowning in his guilt to notice his husband dividing the sea of baby supplies to get to him, wrapping his long arms around him.

“Don’t cry, babe. I’m sorry too. I didn’t mean to make you cry. I’m just shocked that’s all. You know you can tell me anything.” Baekhyun reluctantly returns the embrace. No matter what there was no place more comforting than being in his husband’s arms.

“I know, I know. It’s just every time you talk about having kids it’s always when we have a kid or if we had a kid, you’re always talking in future tense. Not to mention we are totally unprepared. We can barely pay the rent and have enough left over for food. Now there’s going to be another mouth to feed, another body to clothe, and I--I…”

“Hush, Baek. It’s okay. We’re okay. Everything’s going to be fine.” Chanyeol tightens his hold around the now trembling and full on sobbing Baekhyun, rocking him side to side.

“How? If we’re going to bring a child into this world, everything needs to be perfect.”

“Everything is perfect. Our little pea has you and me as its fathers and we’re perfect aren’t we?” Baekhyun playfully hits Chanyeol’s chest but the latter doesn’t mind because the smaller is finally smiling.

“How humble. You know we aren’t perfect, far from it.” The two remain entangled in each others arms until Baekhyun’s tummy starts making noises, begging to be fed.

“Is that you or the baby?” Baekhyun hides his face in embarrassment. His flush deepens in color when Chanyeol slides a hand under his shirt and presses against his flesh.

“Yeoooooolllll.” Baekhyun whines.

“How far along are you?”

“One month but I only found out on Monday.”

“So it took Junmyeon a single week to do all this?” Chanyeol motions to the baby supplies strewn across their living space.

“He mentioned something about being the richest uncle and how he was going to buy all these things but I didn’t think he’d actually do it. But he didn’t buy all this on his own, he got all our friends to pitch in.”

“How did they even know?”

“Junmyeon’s my brother so it would only make sense for me to tell him but naturally he told Kyungsoo who told Jongin who told Jongdae and so on.”

“All this in a week’s time? Impressive. Now, shall we feed this little bean of ours?” Baekhyun disengages from Chanyeol’s chest to find his husband’s face painted with a crazed look as if he’s just gotten an idea. The taller maneuvers his willowy self clumsily to the living room and returns with a book, his smile proud.

Feeding the Bump: Nutrition and Recipes for Pregnancy