Quiet Gathering

The Dream Team
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Despite Jongin's questionable mental health, Luhan nonetheless delivered. He and his cousin Oh Sehun sat in Jongin's usual private room at Shizuka- the most passive bar in town, and one of the only ones not swarmed with rowdy students. Call him uptight, but Jongin couldn't stand loudness, especially not from people his age. It annoyed the hell out of him.

Sehun was a dyed blonde giant- he was taller than both Luhan and Jongin- and more the 'typical rich boy' than those two both put together. He was arrogant and self assured, and rightly so: whilst he wasn't amazingly smart, his dazzling good looks and natural sporting ability were more than enough to compensate in most people's books. Some hated him, called his confidence cockiness. Those people were usually other young men jealous of Sehun's wealth and whatnot, and their opinions were deemed useless to his hordes of fangirls, worshipping his every step and wholly making up for any dislike he may recieve.

Jongin found Sehun's attitude refreshing and amusing; Luhan only barely tolerated it, and that was because they were related. He knew that the younger could also be a kind and decent person, and was so almost half of the time- but his conceit was off putting.

This was why the two sat tapping away on their phones rather than conversing, slouching against the black leather couches as though it were their own home. Luhan was delighted to discover his Fantasy Football was doing exceptionally well, and it put him in such a good mood that he thought he'd be able to happily bear with Sehun for the night. So long as Jongin kept talking- and he'd bloody better, he was the one who gathered them all- then Luhan might even have some fun.

"Sehun!" Through the door came Jongin, smiling as widely as he had been doing all afternoon. Luhan thought it was kind of creepy, and almost missed his usual scowl. Almost. 

Sehun jumped up immediately, long legs making it somewhat awkward, and bounded over to the slightly shorter man. "Jongin!" He pulled Jongin into a short one-armed hug, clapping him on the back before letting him go. "It's been ages. School's gotten worse since you guys left."

Jongin grinned, "What else were you expecting? It was hardly going to improve." Luhan quietly wondered how he put up with Jongin if he couldn't Sehun. Maybe it was the hair. Unless he was the one wearing it, blonde always got on his nerves. "Where are the others?" he asked, turning to address Luhan (the first ounce of acknowledgement Luhan'd received from the prince that night, might he add).

"Don't worry, they're coming. They both had some art thingy, but they shouldn't be too long." Luhan assured him, shifting in his seat slightly. "Why are we even here?" Jongin didn't answer, instead giving him a cryptic smile as he settled down in a black armchair opposite the couch.

"So I won the big polo competition again," Sehun announced as he flopped back to reassume his spot on the sofa. "Not a surprise, but I thought I'd tell you anyway." The smirk adorning his face made Luhan want to slap him silly, but he resisted the urge, focusing his attention back down to his phone. Jongin, of course, responded; and the two promptly launched into an inane, vainglorious conversation about their own sporting achievements since the age of around two. Luhan wisely stayed out of it.

He was ready to cry tears of relief when Jongdae and Xiumin finally entered; Jongdae was smiling in his usual soft fashion, and Xiumin looked downright terrified. Jongin and Sehun stopped talking, the former standing to greet them.

"Jongdae," he nodded with a familiar smile at the first brunette through the door. Then he turned to the slightly shorter one, hand outstretched. "You must be Xiumin," he stated, and the man nodded, taking his hand and shaking it firmly. "I'm Jongin." He added almost as an afterthought, as though Xiumin didn't know who the youngest Prince of Indion was.

"It's nice to meet you." The shorter told him quietly, lips curving in a slight, albeit somewhat nervous smile. His eyes then scanned the others in the room, brown orbs showing recognition at one but not the other. "You're Luhan?" Luhan nodded smilingly, raising his hand in salute. Xiumin then looked towards Sehun. "I'm sorry, I don't know who you are."

Sehun's face had lit up whilst boasting to Jongin about his polo; but as soon as the stranger had walked in, it had assumed a mask of boredom bordering on hostility. He sniffed, as though Xiumin not knowing him insulted his very being. "Oh Sehun. I'm Oh Sehun, and I'm a cousin of Luhan's."

Xiumin nodded somewhat awkwardly, and Jongin internally kicked the snobby younger brat already perched upon the sofa. "Sit," he told both of the newcomers with a smile, making the command sound more like a suggestion. Jongdae planted himself beside Sehun on the couch, and Xiumin took the armchair next to Jongin.

It was obvious the Xiumin felt like a bit of an outsider from the way he sat; it wasn't strange though, as he was an outsider. The other four boys had been friends since childhood. Jongin knew Luhan through his father- Luhan's father was the country's treasurer, and was on good terms with the King, as was Jongdae's father, who held a prestigious seat on the advisory council. Through Luhan, Jongin had met Sehun, and all three of them he counted as close friends.

Xiumin; well, Xiumin was from out of town. Way out of town. And, in this particular setting, he was somewhat out of place.

"So Jongdae, Xiumin," Jongin started pleasantly, "How was the-"

"Jongin." Luhan's growl cut off the young prince mid-sentence. Everyone turned to look at the auburn haired man, who was giving Jongin a hard, calculating stare. "Just why exactly did you interrupt all of our Monday nights and drag us here? Everyone is present- and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know." They didn't say anything, but Jongin swore he could hear everyone agreeing mentally.

Jongin heaved a mighty sigh, rolling his eyes as though exasperated. "Fine," he said loftily, "I thought I'd make an attempt at civility, but fine. But hey- what would you be doing on a Monday other-"

"Jongin!"

"Fine!" he yelled. "There is nothing less attractive than an impatient man, and you should know that- but no matter. I'll tell you." He leant forward, chocolate brown eyes glinting. "We received news from the team sent out to Defluo."

The reaction from Jongdae, Sehun and Luhan mimicked what happened in the throne room the day before. All three sat up straight, focused entirely on Jongin. Xiumin looked more than confused, discreetly nudging Jongdae in the side for an elaboration.

"There have been... Weird disasters in Defluo, ones that only the government and a few select others are aware of. Jongin's father sent out a specialised team to scope it out six months ago." Jongdae quickly explained

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter