Machine In Progress

The Dream Team
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The closer Yong's arrival loomed, the more Jun's mood deteriorated. He was still friendly, yes, but brooding too, increasingly sarcastic and snappy. Chen was bemused for the most part, choosing to ignore his son's mood swings and instead apparently dead-set on unsettling Kyungsoo. 

Small comments were dropped haphazardly, at the oddest of times, comments about how good Kyungsoo would be after Yong's 'famed' tutelage. How he'd be a machine. Kyungsoo would his lips nervously and bob his head in response, polar opposite of fierce as he'd respectfully shuffled away, seeking solitude and respite. 

He'd eat, chat somewhat despondently with Jun, and strive desperately to avoid the eccentric old man.

Two days from the much-anticipated arrival, Chen left the house - he was spending a night at the castle, Jun explained as they glumly chewed down cereal in near unison, to see his wife. Kyungsoo was quite frankly relieved, and was free to skulk about as he pleased in the day and night the man was gone.

When he returned the following night, however, he brought with him a small and slight, older woman with thin lips and a kind smile, and a tan young man that, for lack of a better word, hulked. Perpetually.

The mood that night was odd, more formal than what Kyungsoo was used to. He sat in awkward half-silence with Chen, Jun and Yong, Yubi - that was their mother, Yubi - refusing any offered help as she bustled around the kitchen.

Yong was much alike his father and younger brother, the same artfully slanted eyes - they were artful, Kyungsoo had decided, the symmetrical creasing and angles like something out of a drawing - but he was tanner, his hair cropped short and spiky. His cheekbones and jaw were sharp, cutting, and the slight linger of a smile flitting about the corners of his lips hinted toward many a laugh, without discrimination toward where it were thrown, apparently.

What was most striking, by means of difference, was the man's build. Kyungsoo would've felt inadequate beside the man, tall and broad, all bulging muscles and sun-kissed skin, however he wasn't really one for self-consciousness. It'd just never been a huge problem for him.

"So, Kyungsoo," Yong said, as though testing out the name. He grinned easily at him, planting his forearms on his knees and leaning forwards, and Kyungsoo mustered a small smile in return. "How're you liking the main island?"

"Not much, honestly." Jun cringed to his left, but Kyungsoo ignored him. Chen smiled in amusement, watching the entire exchange as he usually did - silently, ominously.

"Huh." Unfazed, Yong nodded, "I get that. Different vibe over here, compared to up there..." He pointed up to the roof, and Kyungsoo decided not to divulge that his mother and himself had fled from Vlynt Island, which was actually south from Main Island, instead nodding politely.

Needless to say, they were all thankful to hear Yubi call them to the dining table.

She'd cooked a huge fish - it wasn't in pasta, Kyungsoo crowed inwardly in disbelief - along with an assortment of side dishes that scattered along the expanse of the table. How she'd managed it all within the space of time she'd been given was beyond him. It only seemed fair that he ate well, considering her efforts.

The table was quiet, save for Yubi animatedly questioning her sons between mouthfuls; but then they'd finished, and Kyungsoo wanted so desperately to disappear back into his room. Even he could read this mood though, this strangely formal atmosphere, and instead remained in his place, awkwardly pushing the few remaining soggy herb leaves around his plate. 

"Kyungsoo," Yubi called from across the table, and he started. She smiled kindly, strangely setting him at ease with the small gesture, before continuing in her light, airy almost voice, "I've given specific instructions for your mother's care - she's getting well fed, and despite any of Pi Quan's orders-" her face darkened slightly, "-She's being treated well. I've made sure if it."

"Oh," Kyungsoo felt his chest tighten, and he dipped his head, not raising it for a few moments as his heart swelled with gratitude. "Thank you," he said reverently, making eye contact and holding it. Yubi's smile widened, warm and absolutely sincere. 

"It's the least I could do. Between you and me... Damia agrees that His Majesty is being harsh. It's unnecessary the extent to which he's coming down, although... I guess, the circumstances are fraught." Damia, Kyungsoo assumed, was the Queen. He noticed, though, that Yubi didn't mention any desire to have his mother out of jail, or any sentiments along the lines of 'redemption'. He didn't feel too much resentment, though. Reina's situation was difficult. Even he felt torn, in moments of weakness.

Yubi was kind, without any real need or ulterior motives, and had thus earned Kyungsoo's respect.

They retired relatively early that night - the following morning, Kyungsoo understood why. Roused at an ungodly hour, Yong loomed over his bed, ominous if not for the ridiculously wide smile adorning his face, almost inappropriate considering the time.

"Get up, soldier," he said, too loudly for five in the morning, might Kyungsoo add. 

No room was left for arguing though, and so despite all mental misgivings, Kyungsoo was outside at 5:20, jogging in the darkness as it gradually lightened. Yong ran easily beside him, all smiles, and for the nth time that week, Kyungsoo wondered as to why this was happening to him.

After fifteen minutes of light running, Yong veered off the path they'd been following, heading toward the barn that lay down the very back of his family's sprawling property. Kyungsoo jogged behind in confusion, wondering if there was extra yard space down there - after all, looks could be deceiving.

Yong, however, led them right to the barn door, before leisurely unlocking the large entrance.  "Here we go," he muttered as the lock gave a definite click; then, he pushed the doors open. Kyungsoo's eyes widened, because despite in no way underestimating Chen, he would never had guessed that the man had installed a gymnasium in his backyard.

"Why..." Kyungsoo trailed off dumbly as he was ushered inside, Yong shutting the door and flicking on the lights behind him. The room lit up and wow, this family did not do anything half-heartedly.

"There were five boys all studying martial arts when we were growing up," Yong said as he slipped off his jacket, biceps rippling almost disconcertingly at the small movement. "Going into Glaross every time we wanted to practice was kind of annoying."

"Glaross is ten minutes away," Kyungsoo said slowly. "You built a gym in your backyard because you couldn't stand a ten minute drive?"

Despite Kyungsoo's disbelief, Yong shrugged. "Still annoying," he said matter-of-factly. He paced out to the centre of the floor, before turning with his palms outstretched. "So, Kyungsoo. How much do you know?"

Kyungsoo couldn't help the cockiness, couldn't help the smug tone that bled into his voice as he remembered how he'd batted aside Jun a few days ago. "Quite a bit, I'd say."

"Would you now," Yong snorted. "Then, come at me." He beckons casually, his eyes subtly gauging, almost taunting. Kyungsoo felt only a flicker of irritation, and quashed it easily; nonetheless, he stilled, bracing to attack.

The first rush was a failure, Yong using just his forearm to send Kyungsoo stumbling back. Kyungsoo rolled his shoulder before going again, leaping forward lithely, ducking slightly and aiming for his unprotected left side.

This time, Kyungsoo was grappled, hands grabbing his biceps before they could close around Yong's middle. He was thrown away this time, Yong looking a little too satisfied at the definitive thump Kyungsoo made when hitting the ground. 

It took a few more tries, from various

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter