Land Bound

The Dream Team
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"So Gem, what're you going to do when we get to Athe?" 

Sehun managed to make even a simple question sound accusatory; the burly man was used to the Shifter's manners (or rather, lack thereof) by that point though, so even the most scathing of tones went mostly unnoticed, like water off a duck's back. 

The unlikely trio - Gem, Sehun and Jongin - were clustered around one end of the table the group would usually take meals at, playing some Issian card game that two-thirds of them were absolutely clueless at. Jongin was glaring at the cards and table, eyes moving back and forth in routine with his brows drawn gruffly, as though intimidating them would somehow lead to enlightenment in regards to what was going on. Sehun had completely given up, slouched lazily, throwing his cards about carelessly while posing the occasional drawled question to Gem in order to pass time.

Said captain was enjoying himself immensely. He was also winning.

"Well, Sehun - an' it's your turn t' put down, by th' way-" Sehun placed a random card down, heaving a relaxed sigh, "- well, I guess I'll jist be returnin' to my usual trade."

"Which is?" Sehun let his head loll to the side, watching through narrowed eyes as a concentrated Jongin silently puzzled over his hand.

"Luxury furniture, 'tween Ilo an' Indion. Don't actually get t' Athe much... Prob'ly spend a nigh' in a pub 'fore I leave. Athenan liquor's th' best out there, y'know."

"Luxury?" Letting out a small noise of surprise, Sehun shifted slightly. "I never wouldn't have pegged that."

Again, Gem ignored that little quip. Like water off a duck's back.

Across the deck, Xiumin was bent over the wooden railing, eyes straining toward the ship's stern, trying to discern some form of land amidst the otherwise blue horizon. Granted, he'd been told they wouldn't see land until midday the next day (they were scheduled to land that evening), but Xiumin was holding out for a miracle. Anything, anything, to get him off the ship.

It wasn't as bad as the bus had been, not by a long shot, but it was an enclosed space - just with a bit more wiggle room. As it stood, Xiumin preferred space that was less limited.

Out of the corner of his eye, Xiumin caught a white-clad figure loping slowly in his direction, and he cursed. Thankfully though, Lay was far enough that he could make escape look unplanned; so, he kept his head down and sidled over to the conveniently close staircase.

Lay was way too familiar with him, and quite frankly it made Xiumin slightly uncomfortable. Not to mention, the Defective would talk to him in this weirdly patronising manner - he was also a Defective, which was enough of an issue in itself. Xiumin didn't consider himself as bad as Sehun - at least he wasn't outrightly horrible?- but the prospect still set him slightly on edge. 

Xiumin was only halfway down the corridor, speeding silently to avoid any notice whatsoever, when he heard voices - Jongdae's deep tones, reserved generally for long discussions usually about art (art was where Jongdae got serious, otherwise he was just a mess of wisecracks, sarcasm and brooding), and then this higher voice, attempting at interjection, increasing in volume as the conversation took a turn, apparently, for argumentative. Or banter, maybe. Jongdae didn't speak at all when he was actually angry.

So, JinJu and Jongdae were at it again. Xiumin had no idea how the others hadn't picked up on their daily little meetings - although, he did know that Sehun had almost found them out a few days ago, which provided a lot of much-needed amusement. Really, he didn't see the appeal, and didn't quite understand Jongdae's desire to befriend the Detective - but there were worse things he could do.

He slowed upon hearing the two, cursing a little to himself as he weighed up his options. Barging in was definitely a possibility, and one that could potentially take a turn for absolutely hilarious were he to play his cards right; but Xiumin didn't really feel like scaring the out of the pair. 

Sighing, he lamented his own niceness. In reality, there wasn't a choice at all. Xiumin wasn't the type to pull stuff like that, certainly not by himself (maybe, if under somebody else's influence).

Turning around in resignation, he slowly began to make his way back down the corridor - apparently, he was going to talk with Lay after all.

Sure enough Lay was waiting a little bit away from the stairs, smiling like he knew that this was how things were going to turn out. Xiumin wouldn't put it past him. The guy was unnervingly well-informed. "Hey, little guy."

"Don't call me that," Xiumin exhaled tersely. There was a grudging quality to his voice though, like knowledge that really, no matter how many times he told him not to, Lay would do exactly as he pleased. Lay's smile stayed fixed in place, as though confirming that fact.

"So my little seasickness elixir held up well, eh?" 

Xiumin shrugged, "I guess."

"I'd say it worked well, considering the state you were in before I got to you," Lay chided, and Xiumin reluctantly nodded, his cheeks flushing a little at the memory of the snivelling mess he'd been prior to Lay's arrival. It hadn't lasted for long, thankfully - as irritating as it was, Xiumin kind of owed Lay big time for helping him out. If he'd had to travel the entire journey in that state there was every possibility he would've just thrown himself overboard.

"Thank you, then."

Pleasant grin fixed in place, Lay sunk down onto a bench, then patted the empty space beside him. "It was my pleasure - now, sit."

Xiumin winced, faltering. "Do I have to?"

"Do you have anything better to do?" Lay asked squarely, and no, Xiumin found he didn't. He shrugged, before lowering himself what he considered a safe distance from the Defective. Lay watched him curiously, this glint in his eye that, when paired with that unreadable, seemingly perpetual quirk to his lips, made Xiumin uncomfortable for reasons he couldn't quite pinpoint. "You feel restless," Lay finally said, and Xiumin found himself his lips nervously.

"How'd you guess?" he chuckled weakly, and finally, finally, Lay looked away, opting instead to seek out the endless water and sky.

"You've been pacing everywhere."

Xiumin snorted, "Pacing, or running from you?"

"Point taken - although I can't imagine why. I'm hardly the worst on the ship, am I?"

You're not the best either, Xiumin refrained from adding. Instead, he resigned himself to conversation. "So, back to Athe tomorrow?"

"Back?" Lay laughed, shaking his head, apparently pleased that Xiumin had relented. "No, I'm from Ilo. Never even been to Athe before."

Xiumin frowned, "Why would you leave Ilo for this?" From what he'd heard, Ilo and Indion were the most alike in terms of wealth - except, much like Athe, the discrimination barrier barely existed. The overall standard of life was better, but Ilo was near impossible to get into. Even for holidays, it'd take months to get governmental permission to visit. Lay would have a passport, but Xiumin couldn't imagine his ship-jumping stunt was exactly legal...

"I got told the same story you all did, so I kind of had to. Mind you," he pointed a tapered finger, and Xiumin leaned away slightly, "It probably took a lot less time to convince me. I mean, most of you still don't fully believe in this demon stuff, right?"

Pensive, Xiumin slowly shook his head. "I'm here because I feel like I have to be... I don't know. Nothing feels real, but at the same time, leaving's out of the question."

"I wonder why," Lay murmured, looking bemused. "I mean, it didn't take long for Zitao's father to convince me to leave. It was only a phone call actually-"

"You up and left because of a phone call?"

 "Yeah." 

Xiumin sat back, completely stumped for a moment. "You're telling me you left Ilo, your home, everything, for a phone call from some old guy you've never even met?"

Lay shrugged. "Yep. I guess I am. My capacity to believe this sort of thing is... A birthright, of sorts. Anyway, I heard, told my father, and he sent me off."

"You're not born with belief in the demon apocalypse," Xiumin refuted bluntly, eliciting a snort from the Defective.

"Maybe, maybe not." He didn't sound convinced, though. "But don't your parents know..?"

"I haven't seen my parents for about three years. I doubt they'd care, but the story is that I'm spending some time with my 'new friend' Jongin at his villa in Sundassa-" he broke off with a bitter laugh, and Lay's eyes made a respectful descent to the weathered deck.  

"Sorry," he said softly, and Xiumin's gruff nod served as acceptance of the empty apology. Lay didn't want to dwell - this seemed a touchy subject, and his relationship with Xiumin was already shaky as it was; Zitao's black clad figure was drawing in, and so he decided to make himself helpful instead. "So," he chirped, tome easily shifting the mood, "It seems like you've become a target for our little stalker friend."

"Stalker?" Xiumin's eyebrow raised, then dropped just as quickly upon understanding. "Oh. Yeah. It's kind of weird... And, I don't know if you heard about when we were on the bus, but something happ

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter