Giving Up on One Dream for Another

YG Family Memories

A/N: This is the TaeYangxHannah oneshot that was voted for in Tearful Smiles and Chocolate Milkshakes. Another poll will be at the end. Thank you!

==============================================================

 

Hannah was cooking dinner, a foreign dish I never had but heard great things about. It was normal really, for Hannah to cook, it was her career after all yet, something was off. She was more quiet than usual, simple yes or no when I asked her questions. She simply hummed with whatever I was saying. “I can't wait to see what our kids will look like.” I gush, setting up the table when a yell of pain had me practically sprinting towards the kitchen, seeing Hannah holding her hand under the running tap water. “Hannah, you okay?” She sighed before wrapping her hand in a towel. “Yeah, just burnt myself on the pan. That’s all.”

I was definitely worried now, for as long as I have known her, she has never done anything like this. Her cooking was her second nature, just like brushing one's teeth, and for her to burn herself was a sign of great distress. I asked myself what could have caused this, the only clue was after we returned from the hospital after Si-Ri gave birth to the triplets. “What’s wrong, Hannah?” I escorted her to the bathroom grabbing the first aid from underneath the sink.

    She sighed, obviously frustrated, as I hoisted her up on the counter. “Nothing. I'm fine.” She crossed her arms and frowned. “Hannah, why won't you tell me what's bothering you?” I ask, wrapping her hand in gauze. “It's nothing, YoungBae.” She hopped off the counter, brushing past me. “The food's gonna burn.” I groan in frustration, why is she acting like this.

“Okay,” I start after I followed her to the kitchen. “What is going on?” She slammed the pot down on the counter, knuckles white from her grip. “Is it about the triplets?” It seemed to hit home as she slapped the utensil down as well, splattering sauce across the marble. “Do you want kids that badly?”  “No.” “No?” I respond back confused, we've discussed children before, she was quieter than usual when it was brought up, but what was the difference now?

“No, Youngbae. I don't want children.” She growled, turning the knob off on the stove. “Why not?” I ask, my legs spreading. “Because kids don't belong in my world.” She leaves the food behind, tossing it all in the sink. “Kids?” She continues.”We don't have time for children.  We don't even have time for ourselves.”  “We're together right now.” I counter. “Not what I meant, you .” She resorts to cursing. “But anyways, we are done talking about this.” She growls, moving to spoon the food onto plates. “Now we're not,” I counter again. “You know how much I want children.” I plead. “And you know how much I don't.” She settles the plates on the table before facing me.

“I'm not changing my mind, Hannah.” Unshed tears making her brown eyes glimmer. “Then, maybe we should change our minds about our relationship.” My heart drops to my stomach as the words leave her lips. “Hannah…” I trail off, trying to find words to say. “Don't, Youngbae.” She turns away from me, exiting out of the kitchen through the other arch, and moving to her bedroom. It's with the soft click of the door, silence filled the penthouse that was once joyful.

Anger painted my heart, mind, and body, causing me to pick up one of the plates full of food and tossing it against the tiled wall. I cuss, storming to the entrance and slipping on my shoes, snatching the keys from the bowl next to it, before storming out, the oak slamming hard enough to shake the wall.

 

I wasn't paying attention as I drove through the streets, anger mixed with frustration and a whole bunch of sadness swirling inside of me. Next thing I know, I'm sitting in Ji’s parking garage underneath his complex, a white knuckle grip on the steering  wheel. I sighed while pulling the key out of the ignition and exiting the car, not bothering to lock it before entering the elevator in the center.

Anger slowly slipped from my heart and was replaced with a heavy sadness as I rode the elevator up to the top. The doors dinged as they opened, letting me into the hallway, or what little of a hallway. It was truly a small walk to Jiyong's door, the only one on this floor due to it being on top. I didn't even get to knock as it opens, Jiyong looking at me in anger. “Get your in here.” Our leader’s lack of respect for his older friend causing my jaw to drop.

“Close it, behind you.” The dragon tosses over his shoulder, moving to the kitchen just left of the froyer. “Ji-” I start, but get cut off by the fashionista. “Sit. Tea should be done soon.” I follow his order, taking the seat closest to the door and away from Jiyong and his knife block. I’ve never seen him so angry, it was one of those calm angers that are always worse than yelling/vocal anger.

“Might as well get it out of the way, of how I knew you were coming.” He takes the seat opposite of my own. “Hannah-noona called Aleasha-noona in a fit of tears, of course it would only make sense that noona would call the rest of the girls, sans Siri. Heeyeon has a very short fuse, if you haven’t realized, so you could only imagine her reaction to the news of your fight and departure. It was thanks to me that I convinced her to take care of Hannah-noona and not wait here to pulverize you. So, you're welcome.

“What happened exactly? HeeYeon didn’t tell me anything except the bare minimum.” He asks after a pause, leaning his elbows on the table, and putting his full attention on me as I regale the heated fight not too long ago. “Did you ask ‘why’?” Ji inquires after a few minutes in silence. “No.” Ji rolls his eyes at my answer. “You should’ve asked why.” “Why should I? We’ve discussed kids before, what’s the difference?”

“The difference?” He asks in a scandalous tone as he gets up and moves to the stove. “The difference is, whenever babies or such are brought up, she clams up,” He pauses to pour the tea into cups. “and from what I’ve experienced, she looks uncomfortable.” He carries the small porcelain cups to the table. “Hell, even at the hospital visiting Siri, Seunghyun, and the new triplets, she kept quiet the whole time.” He sets one in front of me before returning to his seat. “You never noticed too focused on the thoughts and even gushing about the triplets to notice.” If I didn’t feel guilty before, boy did I feel it now. “Still doesn’t explain why she doesn’t want children.” Jiyong’s left eye appeared to twitch, before leaning across the table and smacking the back of my head, something he’s never done before in our twelve years of friendship. “Listen, you oblivious bingu. Did you NOT hear what a said mere minutes ago? You. never. Asked. Why.” He punctuates the last four words with a hit on the table.

“He has a point, hyung.” A new voice startles us, entering the kitchen and making his way to the table. “Hi, Dae. Tea’s finished.” Ji simply greets the younger, who nods in thanks. “A relationship is two sides of a coin, hyung.” Daesung starts while pouring his own cup. “But, you see it as a coin with duplicate sides.” We stare on as the happy virus of our group drops a deep life lesson on us. “You communicate a lot with Hannah-noona.” Dae moves to sit to the right of our leader. “But, you never allow her to communicate with you, hyung.” He takes a sip before continuing on. “She is naturally quiet, it’s true, but she still wishes to talk. Unfortunately, you don’t want to listen.”

JiYong nods, taking a sip as well. “Stole the words out of my mouth, Dae. Hyung, you need to open your ears just as much as you open your mouth.” I sit in silence, brooding over all that’s been said. “The girls’ are probably still talking, why don’t you wait here with us for a bit, hyung?” Daesung offers, continuing to sip his tea. “Seunghyun-hyung is stuck watching their kids, but don’t worry, he’ll chew your later.” Ji says non-chantilly, refilling his cup.

The thought sent chills through my body. The oldest member of our group appears to most as the silliest, our resident, the one and only Bingu T.O.P, was. But, he took this kind of stuff seriously, Aleasha-noona and Seunghyun-hyung both did. The two constantly working for a nearly perfect relationship. The two were the best to go to for relationship advice, despite their limited dating experience not with each other.

What felt like hours later in silence, a phone went off. Jiyong setting his teacup down to pick up his smartphone. “HeeYeon says ‘It’s okay for you to go back to Hannah’s flat.’ Just make sure you don’t make her cry again.” I look at the two, grateful for their advice. “Thanks, guys.” I stand up from my seat and moving to the front door.

The drive back to Hannah’s home went by in a blink of an eye, for I now stood outside her door, gaining the courage to enter. “The door’s not locked you know.” Kreagon’s voice startles me before the white oak opened, the redhead standing in front of it. She eyeballs me up and down, before speaking. “You ready to listen?” She raises a brow, obviously not happy with me, but contrary to her attitude towards me, she steps aside and follows me in to return to her spot next to Hannah.

Aleasha was on her other side, muttering something as she my girlfriend’s dark locks, as HeeYeon glared at me from behind Hannah. She placed her right hand on Hannah’s left shoulder before rounding the couch and walking up to me. “You better listen to her, or else.” It was passive aggressive, but still a threat, brushing past me after, wishing Hannah well. Kreagon and Aleasha move to Hannah’s front, each taking turns saying their farewells to her before walking to me. Aleasha leaned forward, bringing me into a hug. “You’ll both get past this,” She consults in my ear. “it’ll take a whole lot more than a little misunderstanding to separate you two.” She pulls back and smiles, a similar one Kreagon grants me as she followed Aleasha out the door.

Silence sat between us so thick that you could cut it with a knife, as cliche as it sounds, for a long time. Hannah refuse to look in my direction, instead finding immense interest in the area rug lying in the center of her living room. “Nah-Nah.” I start, the nickname causing her to flinch. “Bae…” She responds back softly, voice hoarse from all the crying, and I take tentative steps towards the couch, sitting on the gold leather to her left. “I’m sorry, Hannah.” I apologize and place my hand on top of her. More silence sat between, and my remorse and fear of rejection grew.

“I was twelve,” She starts suddenly while gripping my hand tightly. “W-What?” I splutter out, confused. “I was twelve, mom and I were coming back from the grocery store,” She failed to notice my presence as she spaced off, mind lost in the story she was telling. “and mom was acting funny. She was swerving, a habit she picked up, behavior just odd for a single mom. It wasn’t until later that I found out what caused her behavior. She started yelling at me, attention taken from the road, which caused her to swerve into the other lane.

“She met head first with an eighteen wheeler, she died instantly, and I was in such bad condition, critical.” Her free hand moved to her stomach. “There was metal in my body, specifically my abdomen, and they had to remove all of it, including my reproduction system, from ovaries to the uterus.” She pulls her hand from my own before scooting away. “I can’t have kids, YoungBae.” She stands up and distances herself from me. “I can’t give you kids, I can’t.” I move up from the couch towards her. “It’s called adoption, Hannah.” I move to wrap my arms around her, only to have her shove me to the side, giving distance between us once again.

“You know how mom didn’t act right? She had schizophrenia, which got worse because of the drinking she became addicted to. She wasn’t the best mom.” I didn’t see where she was going with this. “How is that a problem? That’s your mom.” She rolls her brown eyes and scoffs. “That is the problem, schizophrenia is genetic YoungBae. I’m bound to get it sooner or later, and I will not put kids in harm's way. I’m not, I can’t, I couldn’t, and I shouldn't have children.” She wraps her arms tightly around herself, tears threatening to fall again, and I try to process all she’s given me.

Silence falls once again, she eventually makes her way to her bedroom, no longer able to stand it. “I’m sure they won’t mind sharing their children.” She freezes, head whipping to face me. “What?” “It’s okay, Aleasha-noona and SeungHyun-hyung have three kids, SeungHyun and SiRi have three as well, and it’ only a matter of time before DaeSung and Kreagon will have a nest.” I explain as I move closer to Hannah. “We’ll spoil their kids like we would our own.” She opened to protest, but I cut her off. “I love you, and I’m not letting you go over something you have no control over. Hate to break it to you, but I am not leaving.” Hannah simply collapses in my arms once I offered them, hands gripping my top to the point of tearing holes in it.

 

==============================================================

A/N: This was hard to write, research was needed for this one. Well, here it is. Thank you.