Finale

Problem Solver

Rain poured from the sky, depressing those who looked out of their window in hopes of a beautiful day when they awoke that morning. The clouds continued to float overhead and the only sound that you could hear was the water hitting the ground sharply. It was a sad sight.

But not to all.

In fact, to one person in particular this weather was enticing and intriguing. Especially when it cooperates to his own messed up life.

Joonmyun was sitting on a chair, staring out of a window, deep in thought. It had only been a couple of days since his life had decided to crash around him, since everyone that he held dear decided to leave him alone. What a week it had been. Although it seemed like he had been feeling this way for years. The rain helped him feel only a slightly bit better.

He didn’t like rain. He enjoyed the sun and vowed never to go out on a rainy day unless it was absolutely necessary. This allowed Joonmyun to move freely through the wet days without a chance of meeting him.

He stood up and moved over to the cupboard. Grabbing a jacket it, he quickly shoved it over his shoulders and threw the hood up, walking outside to meet with the cold water. It felt nice on his skin, and now he just wanted to go to a place where no one could find him. He craved loneliness at this point. Soon enough he had reached the place where he had wanted to go – it was a small park for children, but evidently no kids would be crazy enough to come out in this torrential rain just for a chance to play on some swings.

But Joonmyun would. Joonmyun gladly welcomed it, in fact, which is why he immediately took a seat on one of the wet swings, and began kicking his feet so he would start moving through the air.

Rain fell onto his face but all he did was close his eyes.

The air around him was calming, it allowed him to be truly free of the outside world where he was just dumped by his fiancé in a whim, and his best friend ran away to elope with his ex instead.

His best friend and his fiancé were only toying with him. Sure, he got some phone calls from his friend – ex friend – but Joonmyun wasn’t going to answer it. Even though he was definitely not one to hold grudges, this was something he couldn’t forgive.

Swinging his legs higher, he tried not to think about it.

Ah if only he was a teenager again. Life was so much easier five years ago. There was no ‘true’ love to deal with, it was all casual flings and fun parties.

Not stressful work and damaging betrayals.

“Are you alright?”

Joonmyun’s eyes opened immediately in shock at the newly intruding voice. Stopping the swing easily, he planted his two feet on the ground and turned around to see another boy there, smiling at him with worry etched on his face.

“Do I know you?” Joonmyun wondered. It was weird enough that someone else was also out in this weather, but to start a conversation?

The boy shook his head before moving forward.

He occupied the empty swing beside the other and smiled. Taking a small breath, he ce again to Joonmyun and gave him a smile. It was a beautiful smile, one that held trust and loyalty.

“No. But you seemed lost.” The boy explained.

“Ah… no. I’m just trying to get… away from things.”

“You and me both then.”

That triggered Joonmyun’s attention. He turned to stare at the boy who was now kicking his feet a little off the ground. It was interesting, the other. For some reason, Joonmyun felt that he could relate to him, even though he knew absolutely nothing about the stranger. Perhaps he needed a little bit of company.

And perhaps talking to a stranger about your problems wasn’t the worst thing he could do. Unorthodox, yes, but not the worst.

Taking a chance, he spoke quietly.

“Why are you out in the rain?” He wondered, softly moving his own swing – but just a little so that he was in motion. The stranger turned to him and hummed a little before answering the question.

“As I said, same as you.” The stranger whispered, smiling sadly. “My life is kinda going downhill at the moment. No one to even turn to.” Joonmyun just watched him with a peak of curiosity in his eyes. It seemed that they were similar. “By the way, my name is Yixing.” The boy smiled and offered his hand to the other who immediately accepted it.

“Joonmyun. It’s nice to meet you Yixing.” Joonmyun said, smiling as he took his hand away and focused on swinging.

Yixing watched the other carefully.

“So… what happened to you?” He wondered. He’d much rather have a story to go along with his free time – it might take his mind off of his own problems as well. And you never know, it might help Joonmyun as well. The older boy didn’t stop his swinging, but he did begin to talk.

“Actually… I was getting married in a couple of months.” His voice sounded way too sad for a happy event.

Yixing nodded.

But he didn’t interrupt.

“Then, a couple of days ago…” The man took a small breath. It felt rather emotional to remember. “…Chen called me. A freaking phone call.” Joonmyun’s voice lowered at the last part, he remembered the call clearly. The call of a lifetime turned his life hellish. There were many sentences that struck his mind and slowed his heartbeat.

‘It’s just not working out.’

‘I’ve found someone else, they make me happy.’

‘Joonmyun, you’ll find someone else. For me, the right one wasn’t you.’

‘You’ll get over it.’

Joonmyun’s hands tightened around the chains on the swing as he thought about the last part. Yixing watched him carefully.

“He broke it off so he could elope with my best friend instead.”

“Wow.”

“Yeah… some friend. Some fiancé.” The rain got heavier, but it was nice. Sounds weren’t so coherent and he could hardly hear himself think. Turning around, he looked at Yixing who was giving him a pity stare, although he could hardly blame him for it. It was completely messed up. “So, that’s my sad story. What about yours Yixing?” The name slipped passed his lips easily.

Yixing chuckled as he stared down at his own feet. Slowly, his swing came to a stop as he prepared his own story of how his own life was left in turmoil.

“Well… my family recently disowned me.”

Joonmyun’s eyes widened. That was horrible. His own family, abandoning him, leaving him truly alone in the world to fend for himself. Just as he was about to ask the question ‘why?’, Yixing explained.

“Well, I decided it was time to tell them about my ual orientation.” He explained with a sad voice.

“Oh, I see…” What a horrible world they lived in.

“Yeah. huh?” Yixing sighed. “I was kicked out, and even then, I had no friends to go to. My entire life, not one person was there for me. Kind of makes you rethink the choices you’ve made.” After hearing all of that, Joonmyun thought the exact same. The one friend he thought he had had left him, left him alone to thrive in the pain of betrayal.

Joonmyun could relate only too well to Yixing’s own problem.

Both of them continued to swing in silence, letting the rain fill up the atmosphere between them, allowing them to focus on just on the fact that they had company.

The rain pounded the ground.

Time flew passed, and honestly, Joonmyun felt rather at peace at the moment. Perhaps it was time he left – before he ended up becoming ill because of his little journey. Stopping the swing, he moved off of it and turned to look at the other who was also getting drenched.

“I’m going to go.” He said, sharing a small smile with the other.

Yixing immediately jumped off of the swing – Joonmyun had to admit that he was a little impressed at how well the other done it. Moving forward, he stood in front of Joonmyun and smiled as kindly as he could.

“Could I offer something first?” Yixing wondered, pulling his hood over his face more as some rain drops were catching his fringe.

The older tilted his head to the side in curiosity, but he nodded anyway.

“Let me treat you to dinner.”

That was the last thing Joonmyun expected to hear come out the other’s mouth. Was he just asked out on a date? As he was about to politely refuse, Yixing immediately interrupted one more time.

“Just to try and lift your emotions a little. No romance involved.” When those words left his lips, Joonmyun had to admit that he was no longer going to say no.

Being treated by a rather handsome boy, just to cheer him up?

Well, he was never wined and dined when dating Chen. This was something different and he had to admit that he was in need of cheering up. When he nodded, the smile on Yixing’s lips grew wider and Joonmyun couldn’t help himself and he began laughing at how adorable the other looked. All of a sudden, Yixing wrapped his hand around joonmyun’s wrist and pulled him along the street and into a small coffee shop that was nearly empty.

He placed the older boy down at a table before rushing up to the counter to order for both of them. Joonmyun smiled rather happily. It was a nice feeling. A friendly atmosphere surrounded him.

As he looked at Yixing, he saw the boy grinning and having a kind conversation with the barista that was currently serving him.

Fingers were pointed his way a couple of times too.

But weirdly enough, it didn’t bother him. Joonmyun looked out the window, the rain was still falling hard towards the ground, and not a single person was out in their rain coat. The fact that they might be the only ones outside was a good feeling. No one to interrupt his rather okay day with the boy he had just met a mere hour ago.

Yixing quickly came back to the table with a rather large tray in hand.

There was a lot of stuff on it. A series of cakes and muffins were placed on plates along with two steaming hot coffee cups.

“This is your idea of dinner?” Joonmyun wondered, but he was secretly happy because he had been meaning to treat himself to coffee anyway. Yixing sat down opposite him and his lips.

He was eyeing the food with a lustful look in his eyes.

Motioning for the other to start, Joonmyun chuckled lightly at how quickly Yixing’s hands flew out to reach for the slice of chocolate gateau.

Normally, he didn’t eat fatty foods. But in this case, Joonmyun wasn’t going to be hesitant at all. Especially when the other was doing the exact same thing. Taking a muffin, he smiled gladly at the other before placing it next to his lips and taking a big bite.

As soon as the sponge hit his tongue, he let out a soft moan because it was delicious.

“Like it?” Yixing asked, placing his small fork down as he watched the other.

“Love it.” Joonmyun took the coffee and sipped it slowly, letting the hot liquid fall down his throat easily. It tasted rather perfect. “Thank you Yixing.” He whispered, placing the coffee down.

Yixing simply shrugged and focused on eating.

It continued this way until they were both finished. Afterwards, Joonmyun stood up and put on his jacket again, smiling at Yixing who was smiling back. Already, all they could do was smile at each other. Waving softly and whispering an honest thank you, he turned to exit the shop until he stopped midway.

There was no way he was going to leave. Not when there was a chance if he didn’t do anything that he wouldn’t see Yixing again.

When he moved over to the other, he smiled.

“Can I get your phone number?”

One month passed since the day he had met Yixing, and Joonmyun could never have dreamed about how much could happen in a simple time of thirty days. It was simply amazing how close he had gotten to the bright young soul of his new friend, but it was refreshing. He kept his mind off of Chen which was a big point, and apparently, it worked for Yixing as well.

His mind was off of his family as he focused completely on Joonmyun. Both of them – although they worked – miraculously found a way to be together mostly very day in the week.

Joonmyun had taken to visiting Yixing’s job during his own breaks.

After finding out Yixing worked at a small bar, he decided to go there for lunch and of course to converse with the boy. Yixing’s face when he appeared for the first time. It was a picture worth expression. The younger was so over-excited about it that he even gave the other his food for free.

Also, Yixing finished before Joonmyun so he decided that he would be the other’s ride from then on.

When Joonmyun finished at around six, he would go out and spot Yixing standing there beside a rather nice silver car.

Like now, he had just finished and he could only smile at the sight in front of him.

“Your carriage awaits.” Yixing presented the car, opening the passenger door for the older boy who could only grin and giggle slightly. When the other was in, he shut the door and moved into the driver’s seat.

The car sped away quickly.

Joonmyun let out a deep breath as he felt immediately relaxed in the other’s presence. He wondered how Yixing felt about him. Was it the same?

Or did he think something completely different?

Before he could even contemplate about asking Yixing what he had been thinking about, they had arrived somewhere where Joonmyun had yet to go to. Or well, he only assumed it was the other’s home. Otherwise it was a bit creepy. Yixing immediately stepped outside and quickly ran around to open the door for Joonmyun who still just giggled.

“This is my place. Want to come in?” Yixing wondered, looking at the boy who could only nod.

They soon moved into the apartment – Joonmyun complimenting it almost immediately because it was really nice. Nicer than his anyway.

Yixing quickly grabbed some fizzy juice from his fridge and sat on the couch with Joonmyun who was just smiling to himself. He always did that. And Yixing finally figured out what was going through his mind when he did.

He was just happy.

And it delighted him to no end.

An hour passed. They were both comfortably sitting on the couch, watching a movie that they couldn’t care less about but it was all about the atmosphere between them. The calm atmosphere that allowed them to finally forget about all of life’s problems and tomorrow’s.

Turning to the side, Yixing decided to take a chance at life.

“Joonmyun, can I say something?” He asked, placing his own drink down on the table as he turned his body towards the other. Joonmyun nodded with that deadly smile again that made Yixing’s own heart flutter. “I-I need to tell you something.”

That didn’t sound good.

But the older nodded his head and turned around a little to try and make the other more comfortable.

“This past month…” Yixing tried to make himself feel more relaxed. But this was by far the most stressful thing he’d ever had to do. Even worse than when he told his parents about him being gay. “…Has been the most amazing month in my entire life, and I need you to know that.”

Joonmyun stared at him with a gasp. That was quite a statement to make to someone.

“You… You are the most amazing person I have ever met.” Yixing continued, the words were just flowing out of his mouth, there was no stopping it now. “And I’m being serious. There was no way I thought that I would be able to be happy after my family threw me out. But now… I’m the happiest I’ve ever been. You’re the best thing in my life.”

Silence. Joonmyun could hardly breathe at the statements that constantly ran out of the other’s lips. Yixing looked so content with himself, and he was even smiling a little as he thought about it. But what was he to say?

Apparently Yixing wasn’t finished however.

And he had left the big thing until last.

Yixing moved closer to the other, but the last thing he wanted was to intimidate him, so he kept a small distance away. Gazing into Joonmyun’s eyes, he waited a couple of seconds before speaking.

“I love you Joonmyun. Honestly. I’d never hurt you like Chen did. If you agree to be mine, I’ll treat you like the bloodiest diamond on earth, please, accept my heart because it belongs entirely to you.”

There was only silence in the room once again, but Yixing didn’t want to push the other to make a decision. After all, it was a big thing.

He had just confessed to a boy he had only known for a month.

But what a month. Joonmyun had made an imprint on Yixing’s soul which he couldn’t get rid of, forcing him to do something about it. The older boy moved his eyes away from Yixing’s, looking down at his own feet. He had no idea what to say, or what to do. Never, had he thought that Yixing would confess to him – especially not that way, it left him on unfamiliar territory.

“Yixing…” Finally, he had found his voice.

No words came for a while, but Yixing understood. He would accept absolutely anything that the other would say to him.

“This is all so sudden.”

Joonmyun let out a deep breath that he had been holding in. Looking up, he caught Yixing’s gaze again but he tried not to let that amazing stare differ his opinion. He his dry lips, scratching his head and deeply thinking about the choice he was about to make.

“…Yixing, I really like you…” His tone dropped. The younger boy gulped at the words.

“…I see…”

Maybe he wouldn’t accept rejection as well as he thought he would. Yixing nodded his head sadly before gripping the couch tightly in disappointment. But he couldn’t stay mad.

Not at Joonmyun.

“I’m sorry for putting such a big weight on your shoulders Joon. I really am.” Now he felt bad. He shouldn’t have thrown away their friendship like that.

Yixing stood up.

“I’m um… going to go to the bathroom.” The boy was about to move away before he felt Joonmyun grab his wrist and twist him back around.

“Yixing, can you let me finish?” Joonmyun asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I thought you were.”

Shaking his head, Joonmyun took another deep breath. He felt like he might implode any second from the nervousness rising through his body. Closing his eyes, he finally spoke the words he wanted to say to the boy in front of him for a rather long time. He never did because it sounded ridiculous, even to him.

“I love you too.”

Yixing was frozen on the spot.

To be honest, Joonmyun had to shake the other to get him to even reply to his own confession. But it was cute. When Yixing finally moved from his spot, his immediate reaction was to throw his arms around Joonmyun’s small waist and pick him up off the floor, falling to the couch whilst laughing rather loudly. Joonmyun grinned and let the other entangle their legs as they just laughed and stared at each other.

It was truly heaven.

Fin.