Getting a job

From Country Pumpkings To Tough Citizens

Lee Jieun's pov

I slowly opened my eyes as the sun shone straight to my eyes, waking me up. I felt somehow happy, and I started thinking about what to do. Should I visit Sehun? No, I should propably go to swim in the fountains first. Ah, but the pigs I promised to feed... And the lavenders I told I would pick up.. I sighed and sat up, only to be surprised that I was in an unknown room.

Slowly memories of yesterday started coming back and I nodded for nothing particular when I comprehended with the fact, that I really was in Seoul. Seoul huh. Well, good morning the people of Seoul! I thought as I stood up and changed my smelly yesterday's clothes to clean ones. I glanced at the clock and saw that it was only 8am. I didn't even know when Ann would come, so at least I was already prepared for her sudden attack.

I skipped down the seventh floor hurriedly, only to almost bump on her. Ann was carrying a tray full of soft breads and a cup of orange juice in her hands, and I felt glad that I didn't drop those. My stomach growled at the sight, but fortunately she didn't hear it. I wouldn't like to be a bother for the first thing in the morning. Mental note to myself, buy something in your fridge. I could survive with bread and yoghurt for about an month. If I get a job, I could even add milk on my daily dinner. I could live with eating only twice, you have to take the money from somewhere anyway.

"Where are you taking these?" I asked Ann. She smiled to me brightly, showing her white and straight teeth.

"Good morning Jieun. To the woman on the third floor." She answered to my question.

"Good morning as well. Here, let me help you." I said as I practically just stole the tray from her hands.

"Oh my, thank you Jieun. You sure are a good girl, Agatha will love you." She said and made and eye smile that warmed my heart.

"I hope so!" I exclaimed happily while walking up the stairs up till the third floor.

"This is it?" I asked and felt the butterflies in my stomach. I was so excited to meet that person called Agatha.

"Jung Agatha, a 76 year old woman that can't get up from her bed without help. She's a bit shy and awkward with strangers, so I help her everyday. Unfortunately, I can't do it starting from the next week, and I guess I have to hire someone.." Ann said sadly while giving me these new informations.

"I could do it." I blurted without thinking, but it didn't seem impossible to me. I had to wake up for school every day, so I could easily just wake up earlier to help her.

"Would you?" Ann asked in a glee. I nodded at her and earned a warm hug that I accepted silently smiling.

"Now let's meet Agatha!" Ann said happily as she opened the door quietly. "Agatha!" She called sweetly.

"Here I am, dear!" I heard someone say with a cheery voice.

"I'm coming and I brought a guest!" Ann warned and knocked on the door, waiting for a permission to enter.

"Are you sure about this?" A woman asked, probably Agatha herself.

"I am. I'm coming in." Ann said and opened the door.

We stepped inside a room and saw a bump on the bed. I didn't see anyone's head nor toes, but I knew someone was hiding under that blanket. "Agatha? It's just your new neighbour from the seventh floor." Ann cooed and placed th tray on Agatha's night desk. First I only saw white hair, until Agatha's tired eyes peeked at me, curiously scanning if I'd be a monster or not.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Lee Jieun." I introduced myself and bowed deeply.

"Nice to meet you.." She whispered quietly, still not revealing her face.

"Agatha, you have nothing to be ashamed of!" Ann scolded and Agatha lowered her blanket. She looked gorgeus compared to her age. I'd propably look like a mummy or something like that, but she seemed to have live energy filling her body, shining through her eyes that were observant of the surroundings. Her nose was sharp and it made her look even wiser. I almost dropped on the ground and started bowing her as my new god.

"I barely have time to visit you now! And she promised to do it for me!" Ann complained. Agatha's eyes lit up as she heard of my promise.

"Really? Would you do it for real?" She asked in disbelief.

"Yes.." I admitted and hung my head in embarrasement.

"Oh my! She doesn't seem as bad as I thought." She exclaimed happily. We all started laughing happily as I slowly made friends with Agatha. She truly was charming, being a prestigous woman like aunt Soojung. I sure seem to get along with older people, maybe because our town had either young kids or adults, me and Sehun being exceptions. I'm just used to associate with elders, treating them politely without looking their age with a scrunted nose.

We chatted for a long time and the time flew as we laughed and joked around. This time Ann seemed to be more careful with time, being the first one to notice it was already 12. "Oh my, look how the time flew again!" She gasped and started cleaning up. "I'm sorry Agatha, but we have some job hunting to do." Ann apologized the puzzled old lady. She just grinned like a kid and turned her thumbs up.

"Good luck!" She wished to us. Both Ann and I copied the move and left the apartment with a cheery mood and a hint of luck.

 

We walked those busy streets of Seoul with Ann, checking every coffee shop and restaurants for any job notifications, but we found none. I, as the curious farmer, was fascinated by the fashion people had. Most of the people had very high fashion looking clothes that showed wealthiness and fame. I, on the other hand, was wearing some black worn jeans, a blouser that was my mom's old and some worn out shoes that had small holes in the bottom.

I didn't feel bothered by the fact I was undressed, but the fact all I saw was grumpy faces. I got some disgusted faces, some looked down on me and others didn't even bother to notice me while I smiled to everybody. I didn't know if they were busy or tired, but surely they looked angry or at least agitated. I wondered if people in Seoul always looked like that grumpy and acted impolitely. I heard some giggling and turned my head to the direction of the sound. I saw some teenage girls, perhaps the same age as I was, pointing and laughing at me. 

I looked at my clothes and saw nothing wrong with them. I glanced the girls one more time and this time I checked how they looked. They had lots of make up, I didn't even know what part of their face wasn't covered with it, propably none. They had super short skirts that showed their long, or short, legs and revealed their thights too much for my taste. If I didn't know any better, I'd think they're one of those girls that give services to men. My mom told me about them and how they make money, warned me not to get involded with anything like that.

I turned to look Ann who looked at me with her big, examining eyes. "Don't worry Jieun, you are beautiful. You're a natural beauty that shows her charms in a different way than those fake girls over there." She said and tilted her head to the direction of the group of girls. I giggled a little, making the girls frown in disgust.

"Jeez, what a weirdo." One of them said.

"Let's go girls, let's not waste our time on that." some other one said and they left.

I just shrugged it off and started to look for the job again. We roamed the streets for hours and still we couldn't find any notifications. I was already giving up, when I saw a man put some paper on the coffee shop's window. I ran over to read the paper with high hopes and it turned out to be a heaven's gift. 'Employee needed!' was written on it. I quickly called Ann over and we spazzed together for awhile, before going inside. 

The cafè looked nice and cozy, spreading the scent of coffee around the room. I sniffled the scent enthusiastically until a man came towards us. "How may I help you?" He asked politely with a smile, making me smile back at him.

"Could we see the owner?" Ann asked him and the man nodded.

"Here I am. What is it that you need?" The man that offered to serve us, asked.

"We're here for the job." Ann said, doing all the talking while I was a silent witness of this process.

"I'm sorry, but the search is only for one." He said and looked sincerely apologetic.

"Oh!" Me and Ann exclaimed at the same time, making the man confused.

"I'm the only one to apply." I said, finally opening my mouth. He nodded and flashed another gorgeus smile. Gorgeus, yes, but he's about Ann's age, so not for me. Ann on the other hand might have been extremely flattered.. Should I hook them up?

"Please come this way." The man said and I quickly read his nametag. Yoo Seungho, my new boss, hopefully that is. We followed right after him and arrived in a small, comfy office behind the cafè. I smiled at the picture of two kittens, but soon my attention was on the job again. "Please sit down." Seungho, no I mean, Mr. Yoo said. We sat down on the opposite side of his chair and I was starting to get nervous of this sudden interview.

I gulped down the saliva in my mouth before I spoke up. "Do you need any experience?" I asked carefully, not wanting to waste his precious working time for someone that didn't reach the requirements. He wondered it for real and I was propably the only worker that didn't have any experience under his command.

"No... I think you can learn fast the couple things you need to do. It's not that hard, it's actually quite easy. Unlike some people think." He said and a huge burden on my shoulders was lifted away.

"When will she start?" Ann asked all of a sudden, making me and mr. Yoo startled.

"Monday could be fine. Is that okay with you?" He asked and I nodded fastly. He smiled and stood up, heading towards the door.

"Wait! That means I got the job?" I asked in disbelief, trying to make sure if I understood.

Mr. Yoo smiled at me kindly. "Yes. You got the job." He said.

After the agreement, he offered us free coffees that we both took gladly. I must admit, that coffee was so delicious, that I actually thought I couldn't survive without it. And soon I'll be giving this pleasure to others as well.

 

 

How was it? ^^ Now this is getting started and I really mean it. Job - settled, house - settled, school - the worst part that's yet to be settled in the next chapter. Please upvote, comment & subscribe! I love you guys! ^3^