Leaving the countryside

From Country Pumpkings To Tough Citizens

Lee Jieun's pov

I looked at my fully packed suitcase lying on my bed, starting to finally understand what they meant when they say butterflies flying inside of your stomach. This is the day, the day when I finally tried to catch my dreams. The day I would move to Seoul, the city of my dreams! It was the city Sehun and I had always dreamed of ever since we were kids laying on the grass under the trees.

It feels a bit lonely to know that I would be going there all alone. Sehun would, of course, join me later. But first he had to solve some issues at his family's farm. I did understand him, it wasn't easy to just abandon everything like I decided to do. That's why I had planned this really carefully, with every detail I could ever think of. Food, apartment, part-time job... Everything!

I smiled sadly when I looked at my empty room. It hold so many old, happy memories, so many moments I didn't want to forget. I traced my hand along my old bed's frame slowly as if it would help me remember everything more clearly, then moved to my bookshelf. I only stopped when I saw one particular picture hanging on my wall.

It was the most precious item I owned in my opinion, it held in so many hidden emotions and promised secrets. Sehunnie gave it to me a few years ago as my birthday gift, actually. And it was nothing more than just an ordinary picture of us, smiling widely and hugging each other like we'd never let each other go. It was simple, yet it was the best present I had ever received and he gladly took it to heart.

I chuckled when I remembered how he swore that he'd follow right after me to Seoul, that he'd find me even if I disappeared in thin air. All that just because he didn't want to lose me. Sweet, really. But that was just how Sehun was, a really cute boy friend of mine that was younger, hah.

I, on the other hand, promised him that he wouldn't need to go through such a fuss, I'd always be there for him. And that surely was a promise I was going to keep. I was actually really fond of him. He had been beside me since we were in diapers, so he had been a big part of my life anyway, no way to deny that.

I let out a giggle when our cat, Young, dashed to my room like he'd be chased by dogs, and jumped on my bed just to hiss at me. It was like he was trying to make me regret leaving. I petted his head, making it purr and lean harder on my hand.

"I'm going to miss you, Young. You must know that, right?" I asked and he meowed at me. "Of course you know, you're a smart one!" I praised after retrieving my hand. Young left soon after the service ended, hopping away happily to chase some poor mice in the fields.

I followed him downstairs enthusiastically, but to my surprise, he stopped at the kitchen's door and started to beg for food. "Not your lunch time yet, you fattie. After I have left, they're going to feed you while throwing a celebration party for getting rid of me. Patience, okay?" I said cynically joking and sitting next to him. He sat down as well, yet again begging for food and totally ignoring what I just said.

I rolled my eyes and ran to my mother that just came inside the room. "Mom!" I exclaimed happily, making her jump from surprise.

"Oh, Jieun... You scared me!" She complained to me, putting a hand over her heart. I stuck out my tongue playfully, making her laugh at my childishness. It was always so wonderful to hear her laugh, I was going to miss that in Seoul for sure. No one could replace my own mom. In my opinion, like many other kids' say of their own mother, mine is the best of them all!

She is an amazing survivor, at least that's what I think after hearing her multiple stories of her childhood. She has lived most of her life in the US, until one day she decided to return to her roots, in South-Korea. She had no place to go, no one she knew that could help her, and most of her money were still American dollars. In short, she was in trouble.

Then, she met a guy. That guy was a friendly farmer that promised to give her a shelter and offered her some food to satisfy her hunger. My mom took his offer and together they arrived here, this beautiful lavender farm that made you stunned at the first sight.

Bit by bit, the boy and my mom got closer, until they finally fell in love. Neither of them had anything to lose, so the decided to act fast, risky even, and got married. First, they had a boy, Lee Byunghun a.k.a L.Joe, my big brother. Then they had this extremely adorable, childish and naive girl, Lee Jieun, a.k.a me.

"Mom? Will I survive?" I asked with my big round eyes. Mom just chuckled and nodded.

"Seoul will be alive again, when it gets you there  dear. This countryside will just lose it's light, until you return. After all, you are my daughter." She said. I smiled at her and hugged tight.

"Mom, I love you. I call you once I've settled down, okay?" I told her and she nodded her head. Then she took my hand and lead me outside, where other people had gathered to bid me farewell.

"Yah! What took you so long?" L.Joe asked and others agreed with some unclear mumbling.

"I just wanted to make you wait, men should wait for women. Haven't mama taught you any manners?" I asked and he tried to flick my forehead, but my mom stopped him.

"Lee Byunghun! You stop that idiotic act right now! Is that what I taught you?" She asked roughly. My brother just gulped and shook his head, making mom smile proudly at her achievement. Then she made me giggle as I saw her secretly winking at me.

"Now hug your sister! She's going to be gone for a long time." Mom ordered. I laughed at her strict command and waited for the hug eyes closed. Instead of hugging, Byunghyun suddenly lifted me up in the air, spinning me around and around.

After he put me down, he finally hugged me tight while whispering, "I'm going to miss you." That one sentence formed tears in my eyes.

It might not look like it, but we really care for each other. Now  that I'll be gone, we will both feel empty. He draw some circles on my  back with his hand, relaxing me and saying everything will be fine.  

"I'll miss you, too.." I uttered weakly. He stepped away and looked at my teary face, seeing how pathetic I looked right now. I started to cry harder, when I thought I'd have to leave all these amazing people and move to Seoul.

Sure, it was my dream, but I didn't know how it was there. Were the people nice there like they were here in the countryside? Could I really gain some new friends? Byunghun oppa just sighed and wiped my tears away with his thumb, forming a small, loving smile on his face.

"Don't cry. Then you'll lose." He said, referring this as a game. That's it.. I should think this is a game or something, a game that I  just have to win. I nodded and wiped away the new tears, not letting  them fall. I looked around and searched for one special person I definitely wanted to see before I leave.

I couldn't see him anywhere. I tip-toed all around and tried to look his head above all this crowd of humans, people who we knew. Suddenly my brother just lifted me on his shoulders, making me twice as big as I was already. I looked around, hope building up in my body, yet he was nowhere to be seen.

Byunghyun put me down and I had to ask him. "Where is Sehun?" He looked around, but even he couldn't find him. He shrugged and I started to search for that little rascal. Was he not going to see me? Didn't he want to say goodbye? Did he really want me to just vanish out of his life this way? Was he mad at me for some reason?

All these thoughts ran through my head, making me a bit dizzy. I ran to his house, I ran to the woods where our tree house was, I ran in the middle  of our lavender farm, I ran to the lake, but still no sight of him. I sighed in disappointment and tears started to stream down once again.

I returned to the big crowd of people, not wanting the attention they gave me. I lightened up when I saw Sehun's parents and I ran enthusiastically, almost hopping up and down.

"Do you know where Sehun is?" I asked. They looked confused, but then they just look apologetic.  

"I don't know, Jieun. He left somewhere early in this morning. We couldn't find him either, I'm sorry." Sehun's mom apologized. I smiled a sad smile and shook my head.

"No biggie, I can always wait till he comes to Seoul." I said, really hoping that was the case. I would just miss him sooooo much while waiting for him, I was sure of that.

"Alright, we'll tell him. Oh? You must hurry now! It takes a long time to arrive at the train station!" She said worried. I nodded and ran to my family again, hugging all of them for the last time.

My father couldn't speak since he was so proud of me. Finally, I stepped in his old car and my stomach turned in fear, while I sat at the back looking out of the  window. I will surely miss these fields of flowers and wheat, our lavender farm is no exception. I smiled, remembering all those happy memories I have created ever since I was born.

We arrived at the train station and my dad just hugged me wordlessly and left in silence. The station was empty, and I felt really lonely. I walked back and forth, spreading my arms like I could somehow fly. Suddenly, my eyes were covered and I got really spooked out, thinking if it was a stranger doing that or maybe even a ghost.

"Guess who?" I heard a playful male voice say right next to my ear. His voice made me ticklish, and I held back the urge to scratch my ear. But a smile had already formed on my lips as I knew who he was.

"Sehunnie! I thought you wouldn't come!" I wailed and turned around to wrap my hands around his waist. He chuckled at me and ruffled my hair messy. I looked up to him and pouted, so he smiled and knelt down.

I hold my laugh and listened to his begging. "Please Jieunnie! Please! Forgive me! I'm sorry!" He plead. I tried to look though and pretend that I wouldn't forgive him, but my heart already forgave him. "I was just putting up your present." He said and that was the final blow.

I smiled and looked at him with eyes that shone interest. He laughed, but ordered me to close my eyes. I did as he asked and stretched my arms, so he could give it to me. I felt something light touch my hands, but then I felt something heavier and something after that.

"Now, open your eyes." He said and when I did, my heart did a small pit-a-pat.

First of all, his face was really close to mine and second, those objects he gave me, made my heart melt. There was one lavender placed carefully, one flat and small rock from the lake in the woods and a carved heart shaped necklace made of wood from our tree house.

My eyes watered once again and Sehun smiled at my reaction. "I knew you would like it." He said and kissed my forehead. I heard the train arriving from distance and that was Sehun's cue to leave.

He smiled at me one more time, and then he started to walk away, waving coolly his back facing me. Trying to act cool? That wasn't like your normal self, Sehun. I chuckled at the thought and shook my head.

"Wait for me Jieunnie~ Let's go to an amusement park when I arrive, alright?" He asked when he turned around and I laughed.

"Yes! We'll definitely get there someday! I'm waiting for you, Sehunnie!" I yelled back and then I entered the train leading to my new future.

 

 

A/N: First chapter is up~ and immediately I'll have one week hiatus.. I'm going to our cottage and there is no internet connection, so I can't update. I'll update when I arrive, don't worry. This was a really long chapter! Hard to write that long... Gosh, now I have four ongoing stories. How can I pull this off? Well, let's see. What's your opinion of the first chapter? Please tell me your thoughts~ I love you all! ^^ Please comment & subscribe!