Final

Waltz of the Heart

luhan sees the world in endless shades of color, some vibrant, some pleasantly fleeting. but what he loves most about these colors is that he never sees the same shade twice.

 

yixing hears the world through delicate melodies, threaded together in seamless compositions. each arrangement is different, the notes entwined in their own unique way.

 

but luhan’s world has always been silent, and yixing’s world will never see light.

 

 

 

 

 




 

the first time luhan sees yixing is when he stumbles into the hospital’s other wing. accidentally, of course, or at least that’s the excuse he gives the nurses.

yixing is sitting next to a window, eyes closed and enjoying the sunlight. he radiates all shades of blues and greens and purples, and luhan decides yixing is the most beautiful color he has ever seen.

 

the first time yixing hears luhan is when the hospital holds a gathering for all its residential patients and staff. through the symphony that is the party, one special melody stands out. it is cheery at parts, and lonesome at others.

it reminds him of a compositional cross between chopin and tchaikovsky, and yixing thinks luhan is his favorite song yet.

 

 

 

 

 



 

the first time they meet is in the lobby. the nurses have taken them out for some exercise, and luhan excitedly gestures to yixing when their paths cross.

the nurses stop to talk, and luhan eagerly moves closer to the boy doused in brilliant flames of ever-shifting color.

 

yixing hears the approaching melody, and sits in wonder. because really, this is the most intricate and beautiful piece he has ever heard.

their hearts yearn to feel each other, but yixing cannot see, and luhan cannot talk, so they have to settle for sitting in a comfortable silence, shoulders barely touching.

 

 

 

 

 



 

the first time they relate to each other is when luhan escapes the nurses again, just to find yixing. he pops up in front of yixing’s face, only to find the brilliant brown orbs staring lifelessly at nothingness. certainly not at him. and that is when luhan realizes yixing is blind.

but this does not bother him at all.

 

a bemused yixing hears luhan bouncing up and down around the hallway, curiosity getting the best of him. he recognizes the melody, and is happy to hear the joyful qualities standing out from the depressing ones this time. when luhan finally calms down and occupies the seat next to yixing, he leans his head on the other’s shoulder. he expects to hear a noise of surprise, but finds nothing. it is then that yixing realizes luhan is deaf.

yet he finds himself oddly not caring.


 

 

 

 

 


 

when they eventually figure out a way to communicate (with help from doctors and professionals and nurses of course) yixing and luhan cannot be kept away from each other. the hospital makes an exception and rooms the two together, even though they belong in different wings.

luhan likes the splashes of color that define yixing, and yixing likes the chords that accentuate luhan’s being.

 

and although they will never be able to act as a normal couple does, they are happy together, because fireworks always explode when they kiss, and their hearts are in a waltz, dancing to the tune of luhan’s melody and dressed lavishly in the colors that yixing has come to represent to luhan.

 

 

 

 

 



 

nobody expects that a blind boy could find love and solace in a deaf boy.