Verse 4

Beginnings

The bell chimes again. More faces covered by scarves with red noses peeking through. A violet sky is changing to night. The thirsty are drawn to The Jar like moths. Scents of apples and spices, cinnamon and nutmeg, sickly sweet and calming warmth. The orders and greetings flow like waves and keep chatting mouths closed for now.

"What can I get you?"

"Yes we have Caramel flavour."

"Would you like that to go?"

"Thank you for your patronage."

 

The rush continues. Cups clink on porcelain plates, steam hisses as milk waits.

Press, pour, stir, consume. 

Footsteps mark entry and exit as hurried folks indulge in treats.

 

And yet two men still sit at a corner table.

***

"How's your mom?"

"She's good."

"Brother?"

"Graduating next year."

"Dog?"

"Probably sleeping."

Kyuhyun sighs. "What is it with you?"

Donghae sighs as he mumbles his answer.

A pause of silence greets them before the bell chimes again.

 

"Did you love him?"

No response.

The questioned ponders this inquiry. Did I? No I couldn't possibly. I mean he was nice and cute, smart, intelligent. Definitely handsome, incredibly talented... but LOVE? 

His head cocked to one side as he replies, "No. I care for him very much. But it was not love. There was no... spark."

Slurp.

"I'm telling you what you want to hear, can't you at least be quiet while drinking?" A furrowed eyebrow accompanied this statement.

Sighing, Kyu leaned back in his chair and raised his arms over his head, "Look I get it, I was there during your entire relationship. I just wanted you to verbalize what everyone seemed to know for weeks." He shook his cup looking for remnants of liquid sugar. "This happens every time. You find a new guy and fawn over him like crazy. If he doesn't respond back appropriately you call into question some random event and swear he's cheating on you. Mimi and I have taken to naming each love affair after dramas. Right now is the finale of Cheating Hearts."

Donghae stared up in half-surprise at one of his closest friends and shook his head twice. "You two are incorrigible. How can you compare my heartache to those silly fluff dramas on daytime tv?!" He crossed his arms and puffed his lips out, resembling the very animal his unfortunate nickname was modeled after.

"Don't pout at me Fishy, you know that doesn't work."

He tilted his head up in stubbornness briefly between admitting Kyuhyun was right. As always. "I still don't appreciate being joked about. Hmph."

Gesturing with his hands a desire for another drink, the shaggy brunet grudgingly admitted, "Ok fine we shouldn't have had been so.. uh.. meany weeny?" A smirk between the two settled the playful tension floating nearby.

"So after wallowing in self-pity for a few hours while retracing the romantic route you had planned for 4 weeks, which you broke off due to nonsense, what are your plans for the evening?" Finally getting the attention of a server, Kyu leaned over to check the menu for the holiday special.