Verse 2

Beginnings

The day started off nice. A light breeze tickled the hanging leaves. Not too cold, not too hot. Like a cup of tea served just right with that bit of spice floating on top.

The crowds were a bit troublesome. All he wanted was a clear path to clear his mind. These thoughts kept clanging inside his head, tolling the troubles he desperately wanted not to keep.

His eyes. They were so bright. I had to darken them, didn't I? I always end up hurting them.

It's no wonder i'm in this state.

He trudged forward. Eyes not seeing. Ears not hearing. Steps carrying him forward.. where?

Another heartbreak. Another broken heart. Another thought left unsaid. Another vow left unfulfilled. Another life left listless.

His legs started to chafe. His once comfortable boots felt like stones chained to his feet. How long have I been walking? Is it enough to hide?

The crowd continued to breathe around him. Happy faces. Smiling children. How he'd hoped to be here with him. He had the whole day planned. Breakfast in bed. A hot shower, hopefully together. A pinch here, a there. A gasp, a shudder, a loving embrace. A peck on the cheek, a whisk of clothes being zipped, buttoned, drawn up over taunt bodies. Key meets lock and hands conjoin. Don't mind the stares, the curious glares. They don't know how it feels. This warmth. This love.

sigh.. 

A glance at his wrist and he knows time is moving too slow.

A deep breath brings an idea. Spices and warmth surge towards him as a smoky slithering snake. The charms of ground coffee bring a hesitant smile forth. The Jar. Worth a shot.

A bell announces his entrance. A quick glance finds several patrons drawn here as he was. Small round tables and comfy chairs beckon invitingly. "A table sir?" A polite nod suffices. 

Raspberry Mocha Chai. Would it be too much? Nah.. let's be adventurous.
Iced Chocolate Truffles? I'll take the lot. Perhaps a full stomach will dispell this feeling.
Sugary treats for hearts that weep.


"Here is your order, sir. Enjoy." A voice breaks his thoughts. Donghae looks up. Dark meets light. Night meets dawn. A bright smile with hints of pink. Crinkles surround dark eyes. Hints of musk mixed with sweet cream. He knows he's staring. He cannot help but stare. The server bows slightly, still smiling as he turns to help other customers blown in by the wind.

A name. I need a name to this face, this smile, this scent.

He couldn't. He shouldn't. But a part of him states the obvious. He's a bastard and he knows it. He's been through this before.It's been several hours since the left the apartment. Poor Henry, he briefly thinks. He'll get over it. He's the one who started it anyway. What did he think, that I didnt notice that lingering hug? 'Oh, she's my rehearsal partner. That's all. You know I'd never stray, Donghae.' Maybe he was too rash. Always jumping to conclusions. Like his mother used to say. No matter. It's all done. His place should be cleaned out by now. One hundred days is too short to feel anything anyway.


Still.. a voice beckoned deep inside his head. Maybe you should have heard him out. Instead of coming home reeking of that one-night stand. You did make it obvious.

No matter, he insists, trying to silence the voice. It's been his mantra for so long. Like a second skin. No matter, no worries, no hurting within.

***
The bell rings again; this time slightly off. A thump and a screech join a smack to his face.

“Why?!” A loud grumble accompanies the attack. “ What the hell Donghae?!”

He stares up and finds fuming eyes under dark brows.

“Oh. Hi Kyuhyun.”

Oh. Hi Kyuhyun?! That’s all? Jesus, do you know how hard of a day it’s been for me. What the…” He ruffles his hand through his thick locks as a sigh escapes his lips.
Kyuhyun sits and slouches. His hands steal a truffle as he stares his friend down.
“What was it this time? What did he do?”

A shake of the head. A slurp of the drink. “I’d rather not, right now.”

“Really? And what would Henry think of you right now?”

He bows his head. The churning he feels.. is it the chai or the guilt? Damn Kyu. How did he find me?

“I helped you plan this day, Donghae. You’re a creature of habit.”

Sigh.

“So did you come here to yell at me or eat all my sweets?”

“Both. Speaking of which... I would like a drink.” Kyu gestures with his hand to the server.

Oh no. Not him. Please I can’t be caught by Kyu staring at him with all this Henry business going on. Look away. Don’t be blinded. His chest starts heaving with anticipation.

“Can I help you, sir? Would you like something else?”
He can feel the server looking directly at him, even though Kyu hailed him.

Not noticing his gaze, Kyu orders.
Black Forest Cappuccino.
And more Truffles.
Did they have Red Velvet?
Cupcakes?
Ohhh Yes. Two Please.

Notches in wood formed forgotten words.
Krystal was here ‘11 JO KWON A$$

Fingers knocking on hair. “You alive? What’s so interesting?”

A mumbled response. A shake of the head.

A soft voice startles him. “Hey… Seriously now are you okay?”

“I’ll be fine. I always am. Don’t worry Kyu. Eat your sweets.”

Frowns battle back and forth. A light cough breaks the silent quarrel.

Donghae makes the mistake of looking up. He’s lost. Brain please focus. Oh.. I can’t.. malfunction.
He doesn’t notice the expression on Kyuhyun’s face.
He doesn’t notice the smirk the server wears.
He doesn’t notice the droplets of Chai cooling on his lip.

“Will there be anything else?”

He’s waiting for a reply. Answer. Speak. Mouth I command you to move.

“No thanks. Just the check.” Kyu speaks up.

With a bow, he’s gone and Donghae can breathe.