Becoming friends

When fall comes

Eunhyuk pov

It’s still Saturday and we just finish compiling some information as Kyuhyun’s sister Ahra comes in.

“Hey guys, mom just finished preparing lunch and wants you to come down.”

“We’ll be there in a second”, Kyuhyun answers and Ahra leaves the room. We sort through a few papers before we go downstairs as well and sit down at the big table in the dining room. Kyuhyun’s family sure is well off. But what would you expect of a school principal as father? My family is rather poor in contrast, but as long as I can dance, I’m happy.

Ryeowook and me thank Mr. and Mrs. Cho for the hospitality before everyone says “Thanks for the meal!” and we begin to eat.

“This dish is really good! May I know what ingredients you used, Mrs. Cho?”, Ryeowook asks and Kyuhyun’s mom smiles wildly.

“I tried a new blend of spices. If you want I can give you the recipe later.”

“That would be wonderful! I tried this dish before, but it hardly turned out as well as yours.”

“I tried a new recipe for chocolate cookies as well. You should taste them later, Wookie”, Ahra interferes and I steal a glance of Kyuhyun. I can see misery as well as amusement in his face. I’m sure it bugs him how well Ryeowook gets along with his family when he barely talks with him, but Ryeowook’s happy smile must get to him. Kyuhyun even starts to smile a little too as Ryeowook, Ahra and Mrs. Cho continue their talk about food and recipes.

“Hey, Kyuhyun”, I call out to him in an attempt to start a conversation. He looks up at me. “You said before that you play Starcraft, didn’t you?” He nods. “I play a little too. How about we see who’s better sometime?” I can see his eyes begin to sparkle and his smile widens.

“Sure! But beware, I’m pretty good.” He shows me a wicked smile I have never seen before and I give him a challenging look in return. I guess we may even be able to become friends.

The talks go on like that. Mr. Cho interferes every now and then either to tell Ryeowook not to flatter his wife too much or to give Kyuhyun and me a small scolding about why we shouldn’t talk bad about teachers. It’s a lively atmosphere until Mrs. Cho turns to Kyuhyun to say something.

“Kyuhyun, you really have some lovely friends. Why don’t you invite them over more often? Especially Ryeowook, I’d love to see him here.” Kyuhyun stops eating in surprise and I see his eyes going over to Ryeowook. Their gazes accidentally meet and both turn away in embarrassment. Ryeowook blushes a little while Kyuhyun turns to his mom again.

“You just want him here so you can exchange recipes, right? Either you forget about that, ‘cause I’d like to spend time with my friends when they’re here, or you need to invite him yourself”, Kyuhyun states. His mom pouts a little and Ryeowook blushes some more. A few other sharp comments are shot from various directions, I see where Kyuhyun got that from, before the previous talks are being continued. As we finish eating, Kyuhyun and me go back upstairs while Ryeowook stays a while to get his recipes. In his room we sit down next to each other on the sofa as Kyuhyun suddenly speaks up to me.

“Thank you for helping me and Ryeowook to get along better.” Kyuhyun looks at his hands while speaking and it’s obvious that he is a little nervous about this. “I know you did this for yourself, but it really helps me. I wanted to get closer to Ryeowook, but I didn’t manage to do so alone. Thank you.”

“No problem, pal”, I say and give him a friendly push. He looks up and smiles softly before pushing me back. We begin to tussle a bit with smiles plastered on our faces until Ryeowook comes into the room with his recipes in hand. He starts laughing at our dishevelled hair and puts his notes away, surprised as I take the opening to attack and tickle him. The room fills with laughter and we take our time before we decide to continue with our work.

I wonder why I’m so happy? Of course I’m relieved that we finally have a friendly atmosphere, but I can’t help a smile from coming whenever Kyuhyun and Ryeowook get just a little bit closer. They are honestly cute together! I’m glad I helped them, even though I actually never wanted to do so. I can feel my determination, to not make a couple out of them, slowly crumble.

 

Kyuhyun pov

Eunhyuk really is a kind person and a good friend to have. The way he brightens the atmosphere is refreshing and I’m really thankful to him for bringing Ryeowook and me closer. Of course Ryeowook and me are still far from becoming friends and I’m still worried about my self-control, but I can see a tiny ray of hope. Although I still get embarrassed when Ryeowook looks me in the eyes, it gets easier to be around him with every passing second. I’m not sure if we can become friends, if he’s willing to open up to me, but I think it’s worth trying. I should take it slowly however and wait until we’re able to talk properly. Until then all I can do is try to solidify my control so I don’t end up wanting more than being good friends. It would be fatal if that were to happen. So the first thing I’m currently working on is hiding my smile whenever Ryeowook says something that is directed at me. You can’t imagine how difficult that is… But practice makes perfect after all.

At the end of the day, Ryeowook and me even managed to talk directly to each other. We never called the other’s name or looked in the other’s eyes, but things like “Can you give me that pencil?” or “What did you write in that paragraph?” worked quite well. The topics of our talk revolved only around the paper though and we made small talk only with Eunhyuk. Nevertheless, our progress for one day was quite okay considering our behaviour from before.

It feels weird to be talking to the one you’ve desired for more than a year and only observed from afar. I can’t really tell what my current feelings are about. Before, it was pure desire for the other man. But now… it feels like I would be content with just being his friend and making him happy. I wonder what this change means to my future with Ryeowook. Is there hope? I guess it’s too soon to say.

This night I dream of Ryeowook frolicking on a flowery meadow.

 

The next day begins quietly until I get a message from Eunhyuk.

Yo! Wanna play Starcraft today? My Skypename is AllRiseSilver.

Pretty short, but it has all the information I need. So I quickly go to my computer and start all the necessary programs. It doesn’t take long until Eunhyuk and me are focused on a heated battle between Zergs and Protoss’. Of course Eunhyuk doesn’t stand a chance against my well-trained self, but we have fun nevertheless and continue to play for most of the day. It feels good to be able to play with someone I actually know for once.

 

Eunhyuk pov

It’s Monday and therefore time for school again. After yesterday’s battles with Kyuhyun, I’m pretty sure that we can call ourselves friends now. It was a nice change of my usual plans as well and definitely worth the trouble with Donghae. But right now, I need to study again.

After one of the lessons ends, we finally have a break. I pack my things, already waiting for Donghae to come, as I hear Ryeowook speaking next to me.

“Hey, Sungmin! I baked muffins yesterday with Ahra’s recipe. Do you want to try one?” Sungmin turns around to him with one hand outstretched as Ryeowook pulls a box out of his bag. He opens it and gives Sungmin one of the honestly good-looking muffins. It doesn’t take long for the muffin to be out of my sight and I know with certainty that I will never see it again.

“Mhm, those are really heavenly!”, Sungmin says and gives Ryeowook a thumbs-up. The latter then turns to me.

“Eunhyuk, do you want one too?” It surprises me a bit for him to ask me, but I guess we are more than classmates now as well. Not quite friends yet, but something in between.

“Thanks!” I grab a muffin and take a big bite. “Sungmin is right, these are really good! Kyuhyun, why don’t you try one as well?” The called person looks up from his notebook in surprise and I grab Ryeowook’s wrist to push him forward a little. The smaller, surprised as well, takes the box with muffins and slowly goes over to Kyuhyun. He looks down as he stretches the box out in front of him.

“Y-You can take one. If… If you want.” His voice is small and almost inaudible for me.

“Ah, yes… Th-thank you.” Kyuhyun’s voice isn’t any better, but he confidently raises his hand and takes a muffin out of the box. Sungmin leans over to me.

“Are they always like this?”, he whispers in my ear as we observe the awkward pair.

“They weren’t as outgoing as now until Saturday.” Sungmin looks at me in surprise.

“Seriously? Well, I know that Wookie needs some more time to befriend another boy at times, but that he would have such problems…”

“It’s the same for Kyuhyun so they probably just have difficulties with each other’s personalities”, I tell him.

“If they were even worse at the beginning, how did you manage to work with them?” Before I can answer Sungmin however, Kyuhyun suddenly starts to talk again.

“Well, the muffins aren’t bad, but my sister’s are better.” Ryeowook is surprised at first, but his face soon changes to one of anger and he stalks back to his seat, only turning his head around to shoot a comment back at Kyuhyun.

“Then I should probably accept your mom’s offer and come by today.” Ryeowook smiles one last time in disdain before he completely turns away from Kyuhyun. The latter just sits in his chair and smiles at Ryeowook’s cute outburst. I see him glancing at Ryeowook in interest, who puts the box with muffins on top of his desk and pouts before taking his seat and focusing on Sungmin.

 

Ryeowook pov

What’s up with him? Treating me like that… So what if my muffins aren’t as good as his sister’s? He could have at least said they’re better to be nice. But no, he must be mean to me. Does he hate me? But we were talking quite nicely last Saturday.

“Are my muffins really that bad, Minnie?” I look at my best friend in hope for some comfort.

“No, those muffins are the best muffins I’ve ever eaten! Trust me, he just wants to tease you.” Sungmin smiles softly at me and I relax a bit.

“But why would he want to do that?”, I ask him, still pouting.

“Maybe it’s his way to get closer?”, Sungmin assumes and my heart skips a beat. Kyuhyun wanting to get closer to me? That can’t be the truth, can it? Why would he make me angry when he wanted to befriend me? I take a quick glance at him. Is he smiling? Does he actually have fun teasing me?! Now I’m getting angry again. Maybe I should really go to his place today and get my revenge? But what do I do to make him angry? Besides befriending his mom and sister that is. Maybe Eunhyuk has an idea, he seems to be friends with Kyuhyun now.

“Eunhyuk?” As I turn around to him, I notice no-one sitting on his chair anymore.

“He just left with this Donghae guy”, Sungmin informs me. “What do you want from him?”

“I just hoped he could give me an idea on my revenge on Kyuhyun”, I answer him and turn back to face Sungmin. “Do you have an idea?” He thinks for a moment.

“How about you do this…”

 

Several hours later, I’m standing in front of Kyuhyun’s door. I breathe deeply before reaching for the door bell. In takes a few seconds before the door opens and a surprised Kyuhyun stands in front of me.

“Oh. You really came”, is all he can say.

“Yep, and it would be nice if you could let me in and maybe tell your mom and Ahra that I’m here.” He hesitantly steps aside and I make my way in as if I’d done that for years already. Kyuhyun still is a little fuddled, but follows my suggestion and yells into the house.

“Mom! Ahra! You have a visitor!” Then he turns to go back upstairs and I let him be. For now. I need some information first and the only way to get those is with Mrs. Cho’s and Ahra’s help.

 

Kyuhyun pov

I didn’t think Ryeowook would actually come. And now that he’s here, I wonder what he might have planned. He doesn’t exactly look like someone, who would plan anything evil, but considering he was quite angry before, it would be possible. Either way, I don’t like him chatting and cooking with my family when I can’t have him at all. Should I go back down and take a look? Just in case anything against my will happens.

As I open my door, I can already hear soft voices coming from the kitchen. I go downstairs and almost understand what they are talking about as I reach the lower floor. A few corners later, I’m standing in front of the door to the kitchen and stop in my tracks. They are talking about me. And not just that, they are talking about my past me from elementary school and earlier times. What did I even think, letting my mom alone with a classmate? I should have known she’s going to tell stupid and embarrassing stories from the past!

I shake my head in disbelieve before I quickly enter the room to lessen the damage. All three, Ryeowook, Ahra and my mom, turn around to look at me. My mom and Ahra quickly turn back though and continue whatever they were doing, asking just one question.

“What do you want?”

“I just wanted to get some water”, I say and ever so slowly go over to the crate. Ryeowook turns back around now as well and continues to knead the dough while Ahra carries on with their previous talk.

“So, as I already said, Kyuhyun was really a cutie back then and he always used to puff his cheeks when he wanted something to eat. You can’t believe how happy he was whenever he got something. And when we wouldn’t give him anything, he would cry like a madman!”, she tells Ryeowook happily.

“I’m in the room, you know?”, I say in an attempt to make her quit the topic, but she doesn’t even listen to me.

“When I bake some muffins, he puffs his cheeks even now! Would you believe that?” Ahra starts laughing and Ryeowook with her. At least my mom only smiles and doesn’t laugh, but I get angry nevertheless. I bent down and grab a bottle of water before I turn to my sister.

“If you have so much to say, why don’t you tell him about your weird reading habit?” She shoots a death glare at me before turning to Ryeowook.

“Can you believe this kid? I wonder how he changed so much. He was so cute! But now he’s so spiteful.” Ryeowook giggles softly and even though I like to hear him laugh, it doesn’t help the situation at all.

“Just stop talking about me and concentrate on your muffins or do you want to burn the kitchen?” I hear a small scoff before I leave the room and head back upstairs. There is no way to stop Ahra and my mom from telling Ryeowook, I guess. I can only hope that Ryeowook won’t tell anyone about the things he heard today.

 

An hour later, someone knocks at my door.

“Come in”, I say, my eyes not leaving the monitor of my computer.

“Uhm…” I turn around and see Ryeowook standing in the doorframe, a plate with muffins in his hands. “Your mom wanted me to bring you these.” He quickly comes in and puts the plate on the small table. Then he tries to leave just as quickly.

“Wait”, I call out to him and he stops. I go over to the table and take a muffin. Maybe it’s better to praise him now or he really goes and tells the whole class about my ‘cute’ habits from the past. I did enjoy his cute expressions from when he got angry earlier though. It’s not that I like to be mean to him, but the way he pouts is just too adorable!

I take a bite and chew on it while thinking about that cute face of his.

“It’s amazing how you can decrease the quality of those muffins.” God, I’m so stupid! But Ryeowook starts to pout again and I know that it melts my heart until its nothing more than a puddle. I nearly slip on that very puddle as Ryeowook turns away from me and dashes out of the room.

 

Ryeowook pov

That’s enough. I never intended to tell anyone about what Mrs. Cho and Ahra told me, but with this attitude of his… It can’t even be that those muffins are worse than he’s used to it, because Ahra was the only person to touch them! I baked a cake for my parents wedding anniversary instead. This guy is really too much. How did I even come to love him?

“Wait! Hey! Wait a moment!” You’re just calling me to tease me more, aren’t you? “Just wait a minute! Hey!” Why else would you be following me? “Ryeowook!” Huh? I stop in my tracks. Did he just call my name? “Finally! Hey, look at me.” I turn around slowly, not knowing what else to do. My gaze is directed at the floor, but my ears are perked up. “I’m sorry, okay? I didn’t mean to hurt you, it’s just… it’s just that… that…”

“What?”, I ask in a low voice filled with disinterest. He may have surprised me by calling my name for the first time, but my anger isn’t gone yet.

“Gosh, you’re just too cute when you’re angry.” I look up in surprise and meet his eyes. Kyuhyun is biting his lip and all I can see in his eyes is honesty and regret. And a little bit of love, but I probably imagine that as that’s something I want to see in his eyes so badly. So he really thinks I’m cute?

Our gazes stay locked for quite some time and I can feel my anger vanish into thin air. It’s not until Mrs. Cho calls for me that we awake from our trance.

“Wookie! You better get home now or you’re mom will tell me off for holding you up too long. Oh, Kyuhyun, you’re down here as well.” She smiles at us and we avert our eyes to look at her.

“I was bringing him to the door”, Kyuhyun lies and I’m kind of happy that he seems to be a good liar.

“Don’t forget your cake then”, Mrs. Cho says to me and goes to the kitchen. Kyuhyun’s and my gaze meet again and I smile softly to signal him that I have forgiven him. How can I not when he looks at me with those eyes? Mrs. Cho then comes back with a box in her hands. I quickly slip my shoes and jacket on before taking it from her and saying goodbye to both of them.

“Bye, Mrs. Cho! See you tomorrow, Kyuhyun!” And with a smile on my lips, I disappear into the night.

 

 

----------------------

A/N: The next chapter will probably be M-Rated. For those, who are too young, or those, who doesn't want to read such things, all M-Rated chapters will NOT include any story relevant things. Everything that is relevant in any way, such as the simple fact that they did/thought/dreamed/whateververbyouwanttouse something M-Rated, will be mentioned in the chapter before or after that one. For everyone, who does want to read it: Enjoy a whole chapter of love making, and whatnot ^_^

One last remark: As the summer heat is getting to me (yay! summer! yay! tired!), it might take a bit longer for that chapter to be finished. I try to keep the delay down as good as possible, but I don't want to give you a half-assed chapter so please be patient!