Chapter 1

Just a little too late

C H A P T E R  O N E : T H E  B E G I N N I N G

 

EXOs-Luhan-was-loved-by-all-according-to

 

***

 

I was walking in the school grounds with my friends, laughing about the thing that happens in the school while were making our way out of the campus. We are teasing each other when suddenly my eyes caught him. I smiled widely then run to the motorbikes parking lot and then seated at the bench near it. I watch his every move, like how he wears his helmet and how he starts his motorbike. I am staring at him in awe when suddenly someone poked my head.

“So, you run over here just to stare at him?”

My best friend named Deana asked me. I straightened up and then shook my head, denying the obvious fact.

“Of course not! My feet just hurts that’s why I decided to sit, don’t be silly.”

She just laughed while teasing me. I really can’t keep a secret to her. I smiled as I stared at him and when he was now out of sight, I abruptly stood up.

“Let’s go home!”

I muttered and we both made our way to our houses. I am lying on my bed staring at the ceiling while day dreaming about him and I. Suddenly, my phone vibrated signaling me that I just received a text. Grabbing my phone on the side table of my bed, I read what’s written.

From: Deana

Name is Lu Han. Exchange student from China, 10th grade section A. Meaning he’s a senior and smart.

That was what written. I smiled, I finally know what are his name and his section. I can just go and stalk him tomorrow. I replied to her text saying “thank you for the information” before settling it back to the side table as I switched off my lamp before drifting to sleep. I am going to see you Lu Han.

 

***

 

“Whoa! So, he’s a soccer player too. You have a great taste, Jaeha.”

I smiled day dreaming as I watch him kicks the ball and run around the field. He was handsome, smart and also athletic. Can he be more perfect? But then I realized I am so out of his league, he was the complete opposite of me. I am not beautiful, not smart and I also have a weak body, or so I thought. I just continue on watching him play. I am so mesmerized that I didn’t even hear my friend calling me.

“What?”

“We have class, stupid.”

I immediately gathered all my things inside my bag and then left the field. See you around Lu Han!

“You are day dreaming so deeply.”

I bit my lower-lip and then muttered a sorry before we went to our building. We entered the classroom and sat on our specific place. The discussion was going well so far and I really had this urge to see his face so I excused myself giving them an excuse that I need to go to the restroom. Walking calmly out of the room, I run as fast as I could till I reach Lu Han’s classroom. I walk slowly then glanced inside to scan the place and then I see him laughing with his friends. I smiled and then walk past their classroom. Waiting for another five minutes before I walk back still looking at him, I smiled crazily and then run back to our classroom.

“What take you so long, Ms. Kwon?”

I just bowed in response and then the discussion went along. We later received a surprise quiz and heck, I don’t know what to answer to every question. I take the risk and do the eany-meany-miny-moe-trick, I just hope that I will get the right answer but I ended up scoring 6 out of 20. I just sighed while I shoved my answer sheet inside my bag before standing up, already about to leave the classroom.

“Hey!”

Deana said as she sat on my desk. I turned my gaze to her and gave her a what-is-it-look.

“I heard Lu Han is having a practice game after his class, I guess you want to watch.”

My eyes twinkled as I heard her says those word. Of course I would love to watch him play. I nodded and we both headed the school field and settled in one of the benches. The game already started with a score of 1-2 with Luhan’s opponent on the lead. I looked around to see lots of Lu Han’s plate card hanging in the air making him aware that he has cheerer and oh-so-called-fan. I envy them that they have the courage to let him know what they really feel while I am here sitting in the bench watching him acting like I just want to watch a game. I let out a raspberry before turning my gaze back to the game and just exactly when Luhan made a goal. He screamed while his other team mates run towards him patting his and head. He smiled and the game continues and ended up with a score of 3-2 and Luhan’s team won. He was the one who made the last two kick that gave them victory in the end. I stood up and about to leave when Deana yanked me back.

“Aren’t you going to congratulate him?”

I shook my head then stood up.

“There are lots of people waiting for him just to congratulate their victory. Adding me won’t change anything about our status.”

“But maybe he will notice you.”

I just smiled weakly.

“He received lots of confession and whatever for almost every day. He will just think that I am one of the girls that love him which is really true. That’s impossible for him to notice me. Come on, get up and let’s go home.”

Deana didn’t bother to continue our argument since I know that she gets my point. It is impossible for him to even remember my name or even just my face if he was always receiving confession. We walked our way home and then parted as we arrived to her place. Her house is nearer than mine, so I am always alone in this road. I waved goodbye and then continue on walking. I've reach the intersection and I was about to walk when something hard bumped on me from the back. I landed on the ground with my things scattered around the place. I sat up then curled to look on my knees seeing it with scratches. I gasped as I felt the sting and was about to cry but then his silhouette appeared in front of me.

“Oh no! I am really sorry. I didn’t know you were about to walk so I sped up.”

He said glancing to his motorbike. So, it was his motorbike. I gasped for air when he suddenly hold my knees but not the side with scratches and then blew air on it. My eyes widened and my heart starts hammering. His face was so close to me and I am really in need of air. My eyes wondered his face when he suddenly looked up to looks at me meeting my gaze and then I looked away avoiding his gaze.

“You got wounded because of me. I am really sorry. Where is your house? I am giving you a ride.”

I tried to act all calm and then pointed my way home. He helps me stood up and hop to his motorbike. I blushed as I face his back. He has a very slim body, he has muscles but not the weird one. He’s body is almost perfect but nobody's perfect so... nevermind.

“Where should I turn?”

“On the right.”

He nodded then turns to the right. With the speed of his motorbike, I accidentally hugged his waist afraid of falling. I felt electricity run down through me as I felt his abs through his school uniform. I shook my head trying to erase my thoughts and then loosened my grip. Slowly, I have no longer contact with his slim body.

“That’s our house.”

I said when we finally reach our flat. He stopped right in front of our gate and then helps me to get off. I bowed and blurted my thank you and when I was about to open the gate he took my wrist stopping me from doing so. I stiffened for a second before turning to face him,

“What is it?”

He smiled and then took something inside his bag.

“Use this. Lucky I always have that inside my bag.”

He then gave me a plaster. After that, he left. I stared at the place where he was just a little while ago. One of my dreams came true, Luhan dropping me home. Even though I didn’t meant it to happen like this, I am still happy. I looked at the plaster he gave me, it was animated with a caption of “it will heal soon”. I smiled before entering our house to have a rest.

 

***

 

I wear high socks today, scared of being teased by my classmates because of my wound and scratches. I keep Luhan’s plaster in my cabinet and decided not to use it. I will keep it for the rest of my life. Silly as it may sound, but yea nailed it. I seated on my chair and then buried my face on the desk while waiting for our math teacher and as soon as he arrived I straightened up and listen to his hell-like-lectures.

“Ugh, this is so hard.”

I blurted as I stared at the question on my workbook. I felt so dizzy by just looking to the numbers written on the workbook but when it comes to money… nevermind. My class ended and I hate it that he gave us assignments. Like duh! I am supposed to be in my bed room now and resting but I am still here in the library trying to solve these damn math problems. I buried my face on the desk and then closed my eyes. I am resting for a while, five minutes! I was cooling down when I suddenly heard a voice.

“Was this seat taken?”

I looked up lazily and then shook my head saying a lazy no for an answer. The boy smiled and then sits on the chair across mine. I buried my face back on the desk and then the boy's face sinks on my head. I abruptly looked up and then pointed him.

“You!”

I said almost shout so shock to see his face right in front of me. The librarian glares at me and then I shut my mouth closed. My eyes shifted to him with still wide eyes. What was he doing here?

“Me?”

He asked me while pointing himself?

“What’s wrong?”

I can’t find any words. Why was he so handsome? I shook my head and then bowed.

“I’m sorry.”

I whispered and I hope he heard it. I then lowered my head and stared in my clean workbook. My heart starts to race and then my mind was now out of focus. Now, how can I answer this questions if he’s here sitting across from me? I can’t answer these questions all by myself and now adding the fact that he’s here I am sure there is no way for me to solve these, I think I better leave now. I am about to stand up and leave when I heard his soft angelic voice again.

“What are you doing?

I turned my gaze to him and then gulped when I see him looking at me. Of course, he’s looking at me because he’s talking to me. I don’t know but this situation made my heart races to its fastest and my hands start to sweat.

“It’s Mathematics.”

He made and “o” expression and then smiled.

“My favorite subject.”

It’s just added the fact that we are the complete opposite of each other and we were not meant for each other. Math is my least favorite subject and heck I felt so bored when it comes to math class.

“It’s kinda hard.”

And then I laughed awkwardly before packing all my things.

“I can help you if you wanted to.”

My hands stop immediately as I heard him say those words.

“You’re not joking, aren’t you?”

Please say no! Please say no! Please say no!

“I am not.”

My smiles widened and then scream inside my head. And then the tutoring starts right now. He sits next to me to have a better view of my workbook and also for me to understand his explanation clearly. I am so distracted of his face and voice but I still managed to understand the formulas and such. I answered the problems one by one until the last number. I smiled seeing how I managed to answer all the questions and of course thanks to my Luhan.

“Thank you and sorry for disturbing you.”

“No worries, I went here to sleep anyway.”

“I felt worse now.”

“No, don’t be.”

I was about to retort my counter but then someone from soccer team calls him to have a practice and of course he needed to be there, so he bids his goodbye before walking off. I watched his figure walking away from me. Thank you for helping me, Lu Han.

 

***

 

“I’ve missed you!”

Deana exclaimed as we met at the school’s lobby. I am now an 8th grade student, last year was a blast because I finally have some moments with Lu Han but that one in the library been the last one. He became more popular with girls considering the fact that he is one of the well-known soccer players of our school and he’s the one who brought trophy to our school. He is now a freshman high school student and to my luck, he decided to stay here in Korea and enrolled to our school. By the way, our school was offering an education from pre-school to high school and I am happy that Lu Han decided to be here.

“So am I.”

I answered and then she nudges me.

“Lu Han is having a speech later. Let’s be there.”

I nodded and we headed to the school field. Lots of students are there, most of them are soccer fans and maybe some are also just Lu Han’s fans and there where I belong. The coach was having a speech before I heard the name Lu Han being called. I tip toed to see Lu Han because I am not that tall and lots of tall people are in front of me making it hard for me to see him. I cursed as I see no hope at all. I just listen to his voice and when it comes to an end I clapped my hands really hard.

“Why don’t you try to win his heart?”

Deana asked me as we walk back to the building. Why? I don’t know, maybe it’s just that I know we weren’t meant for each other. That I am just a fan and he’s the one being admires. That I am nothing compared to his other rich and pretty fan girls. I took a deep sigh as reality hit me. Why is it hard to love someone you know you can’t have?

“Because winning his heart was beyond impossible.”

I answered bitterly. What? I know where should I stand and I don’t want to cross the line and get hurt. Watching him was enough for me. We entered our classroom and I sulked in my seat. Why am I not born beautiful, white, and smart? I’ve read his profile and he actually says something that made my hope dropped to its lowest level. He has been featured in our school paper and there was an interview where he was asked what was his ideal type and guess what, I am the complete opposite of it. I still remember some of the question and his answers.

Q: What is your ideal type?

A: My ideal type? I like tall and white girls. They always caught my attention.

Q: Are you single?

A: I am.

Q: There’s a gossip that you are already seeing someone.

A: No, that wasn’t true but my eyes were already set on someone.

After that, I didn’t bother reading any article that includes an interview with him. He’s so popular to make it to our school paper and I know that I will only get hurt if I continued reading his interviews. I know it will just make me snap to reality that I have no choice.

“Just at least try to. It’s better that regretting in the future.”

I was hit right in the head. She was somewhat right, regretting is really hard. Regretting that you didn’t do something is worst that being rejected. He’s a good boy and I think he won’t reject me harshly, I just hope so. I hope that he will reject me nicely.

“You know what, you were right.”

I blurted and then turned my gaze to her. She smirked and then patted my shoulder.

“I’ll help you. We just have to fix something on you and then you’re ready to go.”

I looked at her with confusion visible in my eyes. What was she trying to imply?

“What do you mean?”

She winked and then giggled as our homeroom teacher came in and started the class. I glanced at her for the last time before focusing my attention to the teacher in front of the class.

 

***

 

“AAAAAAAAAAH!”

I scream in pain. This girl has been scrubbing my body and it hurts so much. It feels like I’ve been ripped out from by skin.

“Stop whining, okay?”

She countered and then continues scrubbing me. I almost cry because of this but then she stops.

“What the hell are you doing?”

“Let’s apply this.”

She then raised something that looks like a cream.

“What was that?”

“It will help you get your skin lighter.”

I stared at her but then nodded. Maybe I should try this one, trying won’t hurt right? We applied the cream all over my body and then she signals me to wash my face, so did I. I walk back to her and then she also applied something in my face before putting whitening face mask on me.


The story seemed longer than I expected, so I removed the one-shot tag.

Anyway, I won't make this story too long also, maybe just three or four chapters.

Subscribes, upvotes and comment if you guys think it's worth it. ENJOY THE MAYO! <3

tumblr_mwwqcpwNqz1rv8rjpo1_500.gif

Manly+Luhan.gif